Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 1307 Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

With a bit of further analysis, it now seems that the 2.1 FW does improve THX mode in a way that may make it a perfect fit for folks without plans to calibrate. With past measurements on my set, trying to get more brightness in THX mode by moving the Contrast to 75 resulted in a degraded Gamma at high IRE. After FW 2.1, this is much less. It provides a 46FL measured (56 FL with D-Nice's correction).

I noticed changes in THX mode after 2.1, but at default settings they were not significant enough to mention.

For rooms with dim lighting, the Custom settings for Low panel brightness provide better results than THX, with lower light output that works well in those environments.

For folks wanting higher light output, using the 2.1 patch with THX Contrast at 75 and Color bumped down to 48 or 49 is a great option.

Gotchaa, based on your knowledge of the 2.1 FW does this make sense?

Dave-- thanks for your efforts and for sharing them! I am using your settings and enjoy them. I am not sure I understand what your recommendation is for THX mode after the 2.1 firmware update. Do you recommend your original THX settings as is for the 2,1 firmware or just the default THX settings except contrast 75 and color 48 or 49 as you mention above?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1307 Old 12-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Liked: 14
THX default is very good after 2.1. On my set Color at 48 or 49 gives lower Gamut Luminence errors. Raising Contrast to 75 gives more light output at the cost of a bit worse Gamma.

Most of my viewing is in a dimly lit room, and I've gotten use to the Low panel brightness settings. All in all, a great set.
post #303 of 1307 Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 PM

Hello helpful AVS members,

i have recieved a replacement TV from Panasonic Canada under manufacturer's 1 year std warranty. My old tv was 54 inch G25 and Default THX mode was much brighter compared to the tv what i recently got from Pansonic Canada Model GT30 55inch.

i would have to say picture quality is much better on GT30 series than G25 series...except panasonic has locked gamma @1.9 in GT30.. if i am right??? that makes the panel dimmer or bit darker to my liking....

my GT30 is Oct 2011 build...

so my conandrum is should i jump the boat and update 2.1 and then update 2.2 and final touch .... use dave's calibration settings?????

will i get similar results as other members r raving about 2.1 patch??? and would it matter for canadian GT30 model or is it all same across north america???

note: i did try ken and dave's settings but just like other members ...resulted in orange skin tone unless i bring colour down to 30 but by then picture loses colour saturation....

please advise?????.....thanks
post #304 of 1307 Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult View Post

Hello helpful AVS members,

i have recieved a replacement TV from Panasonic Canada under manufacturer's 1 year std warranty. My old tv was 54 inch G25 and Default THX mode was much brighter compared to the tv what i recently got from Pansonic Canada Model GT30 55inch.

i would have to say picture quality is much better on GT30 series than G25 series...except panasonic has locked gamma @1.9 in GT30.. if i am right??? that makes the panel dimmer or bit darker to my liking....

my GT30 is Oct 2011 build...

so my conandrum is should i jump the boat and update 2.1 and then update 2.2 and final touch .... use dave's calibration settings?????

will i get similar results as other members r raving about 2.1 patch??? and would it matter for canadian GT30 model or is it all same across north america???

note: i did try ken and dave's settings but just like other members ...resulted in orange skin tone unless i bring colour down to 30 but by then picture loses colour saturation....

please advise?????.....thanks

My recommendation.............
install 2.1, then 2.2, then use Dave O settings for CUSTOM, MID. From there, adjust to your environment and liking. Brightness comes to life, and skin tones significantly improved. I have Contrast @ 77 and Brightness @ 56, with Color @ 53.

Ken

Ken
post #305 of 1307 Old 12-18-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

2.2 does nothing for PQ afaik so you can
install it or not--I think it has to do with
Viera connect features iirc.

The Custom/mid panel brightness settings
are very good IMO but I think default THX
after 2.1 is still a little better. I personally only
find the need to bump the contrast to 65 for
adequate light output even in the day. As
DaveO said, you can increase it to 75 if necessary
after the 2.1 update without major problems in accuracy.
post #306 of 1307 Old 12-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

My recommendation.............
install 2.1, then 2.2, then use Dave O settings for CUSTOM, MID. From there, adjust to your environment and liking. Brightness comes to life, and skin tones significantly improved. I have Contrast @ 77 and Brightness @ 56, with Color @ 53.

Ken

Ken

Thanks for ur input super ken...will do the above procedure and let u guys know.
post #307 of 1307 Old 12-18-2011, 01:56 PM

Hello everyone. I'm a proud new owner of the GT30. I have used Dave O's settings and it is fantastic. I have a few noob questions for everyone. I set the Viera wi-fi and downloaded the new patch. It did not say what it was - was it the 2.2 patch? For movies I use THX and it looks great. What are some opinions on some adjustments? Finally, should I worry about watching ESPN with the static images on the bottom and what about video games?
post #308 of 1307 Old 12-19-2011, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Great thread, I will follow along.

So far my GT30 has been great out of the box, doing a break in with tweaked THX settings and watching tv
post #309 of 1307 Old 12-19-2011, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdiggs36 View Post

Hello everyone. I'm a proud new owner of the GT30. I have used Dave O's settings and it is fantastic. I have a few noob questions for everyone. I set the Viera wi-fi and downloaded the new patch. It did not say what it was - was it the 2.2 patch? For movies I use THX and it looks great. What are some opinions on some adjustments? Finally, should I worry about watching ESPN with the static images on the bottom and what about video games?

When the tv is new you may have to view with lower contrast settings when there's static images showing. Then try higher contrast with other programing to help erase the retained image if any. As the panel ages it will be less of a problem. I had a few 3 hour sessions on my young(less than 40 hours) tv and got very minor retention but watching full screen material it went away the next day. I occasionally run the breakin slides to check for IR and adjust my viewing accordingly.
post #310 of 1307 Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Is FBr subtle?

I was watching the Homeland finale and it seemed like a couple of times when the camera angle cut away, there might have been a hint of a flicker, maybe noticeable because it got slightly brighter.

But it was a fraction of a second.
post #311 of 1307 Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Is FBr subtle?

I was watching the Homeland finale and it seemed like a couple of times when the camera angle cut away, there might have been a hint of a flicker, maybe noticeable because it got slightly brighter.

But it was a fraction of a second.

I know this won't help answer your question but my practice is to never ask about flaws that aren't an issue for me! Seriously, if you are happy with your tv, why go looking for issues that others see? Better to enjoy the set and let others debate all the flaws.

Now, if this issue is bothering you, I do agree you shouldn't have to ignore it. There are fixes from Panasonic. I know the buzzing from my Samsung plasma was too much for me so I returned it to get the GT30.
post #312 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Hi,

In need of help!

I have a GT30 set and I performed the 100 hour panel prep..plus I applied D-Nice’s settings. I just recently applied the 2.1 custom firmware from Panasonic's site. I do like the overall look of the TV now but faces seem to have more of a red tint to it. I have turned down the color setting in both Custom and THX but the faces still seem to be a bit red.

Can I correct this “sunburn” look from the SM area? Currently, I have my color settings set to (THX = 41, custom = 44). I have applied Dave_o’s custom settings.

Do I need to change my SM values back to default?

I do not want to keep turning down the color setting, as everything becomes washed out.

Thanks in advance,
Scott.
post #313 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post

Hi,

In need of help!

I have a GT30 set and I performed the 100 hour panel prep..plus I applied D-Nice's settings. I just recently applied the 2.1 custom firmware from Panasonic's site. I do like the overall look of the TV now but faces seem to have more of a red tint to it. I have turned down the color setting in both Custom and THX but the faces still seem to be a bit red.

Can I correct this sunburn look from the SM area? Currently, I have my color settings set to (THX = 41, custom = 44). I have applied Dave_o's custom settings.

Do I need to change my SM values back to default?

I do not want to keep turning down the color setting, as everything becomes washed out.

Thanks in advance,
Scott.

A color setting of 41 for THX, after the 2.1 patch, seems very low. Is it possible that an error was made when adjusting the SM ?
post #314 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM

I have the 55GT30, and the day after I got it I was watching the Bruins/Flyers game and I noticed the brightness changing and flashes on the screen. I rewound the PVR a few seconds and saw it was happening at the exact same time to it may have been the telecast, possibly camera flashes in the arena. That being said C.A.T.S. was active in the Standard setting so I wonder if C.A.T.S. is really sensitive or even a little buggy. I turned it off and it either stopped or I stopped noticing it when I wasn't specifically looking for it. Any thoughts or is this the symptom of the bigger issue that has been discussed in this thread?
post #315 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
There have been comments in other threads regarding brightness flashes during hockey games - and some have concluded that the flashes coincided with changes to the images shown on the large screens suspended from the ceiling over the ice - and that the Panny was simply showing the reflections generated by the arena TV screens. In any case - most recommend disabling the CATS setting.

post #316 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

A color setting of 41 for THX, after the 2.1 patch, seems very low. Is it possible that an error was made when adjusting the SM ?

Thanks for the hint... I went back and looked at the settings... I took pictures before I adjusted and apparently when I had the ps3 running HD content, the SM was indicating that SD was being displayed.

I adjusted the HD values based on D-Nice's post and the skin tones look a lot better.

Curious what the color setting should be on THX when FW 2.1 and D-Nice's settings have been applied. Should I be adjusting any other values within THX...i.e Brightness and so on.

Thanks again!
post #317 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post

Thanks for the hint... I went back and looked at the settings... I took pictures before I adjusted and apparently when I had the ps3 running HD content, the SM was indicating that SD was being displayed.

I adjusted the HD values based on D-Nice's post and the skin tones look a lot better.

Curious what the color setting should be on THX when FW 2.1 and D-Nice's settings have been applied. Should I be adjusting any other values within THX...i.e Brightness and so on.

Thanks again!

Color of 49 in THX worked for me, but I did not apply D-Nice's settings in the SM. You can try Sharpness at 25, but I would get a test pattern disk and see if you an notice any artifacts.
post #318 of 1307 Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 PM

I'm a bit of a newbie here but just purchased this TV. Wondering how long I should wait before adjusting the settings? And what should I leave it on before changing if at all?

Thanks and sorry if I missed this info earlier in the thread.
post #319 of 1307 Old 12-21-2011, 06:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snelsonsf View Post

I'm a bit of a newbie here but just purchased this TV. Wondering how long I should wait before adjusting the settings? And what should I leave it on before changing if at all?

Thanks and sorry if I missed this info earlier in the thread.

I'm curious too. I'd like to watch the darn thing with settings that bring out the best in it, as right now the Default THX mode is perhaps a bit bland (especially for SD material coming from Comcast). However, I don't want to adversely affect the panel's long term PQ during break-in. My family won't put up with running the slides while no one is home as they're a little paranoid about leaving the TV on all by its lonesome .
post #320 of 1307 Old 12-21-2011, 07:19 AM

Oops meant to post this in the other GT thread. Sorry, I'll leave it here though too in case anyone has any input.

I'm on my 4th 50inch GT30 and until last night the set seemed to be perfect.

Now when viewing D-Nice's slides, I seem to be seeing some uniformity problems. Mainly when viewing the green slides, pretty much only on them. It kind of looks blotchy in areas, I dunno if this is DSE or what. But some areas appear brighter and darker than others.

Now there appears to be a one inch wide band running vertically down the middle right hand side of the screen. Everything to the right of this band looks to be slightly brighter and more uniform.

I will check on it later today when I get home from work as I'm going to running the slides. Again, I can't see any of this on ANY other color. At least not as far as I can tell. I have read about screen uniformity problems and the green tinge issues with this years Panasonics but this doesn't seem to be that.

Also I'd like to note, all 3 of the previous GT30's I returned had other issues, but I also noticed this blotchy/uneven screen on almost all of them. Especially on green. Could this just be the phosphors needing more time to break in and wear evenly? Sometimes the set seems to look perfect...then I'll come back later and see flaws.
post #321 of 1307 Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 AM

Got my GT30 55” 2 weeks ago. Wanted to wait to give my input. Here it is

Got a November build (relief!) and no issues so far. Used Dave_O’s setting for both THX and Custom (After doing 2.1 and 2.2 up-dates)

I have to say picture is fantastic. I use THX for movies and Custom for live TV and sports. I am a natural “tweaker” but I keep coming back to these settings. Thanks to everyone in this forum for help and advice (I have been on about 5-6 AV Forums and this one has been the best).
post #322 of 1307 Old 12-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Remote control question: I have a Sony blu-ray player connected to the GT30 by HDMI and the GT30 remote control handles all the functions (even turns on blu-ray when switch inputs) but one. Have not been able to find a button on the remote that serves as “tray open-close”. Anyone have any luck with this?
post #323 of 1307 Old 12-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Hi just got my gt30 60inch and am in love went from a 58 s1 and can say this in a whole different world, that said being tweaking a bit and think for me I'm just leaving it on thx and there settings for now I mean they must no what there doing at thx, am I right or should I tweak away lol
post #324 of 1307 Old 12-21-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Thx with the contrast bumped just a bit
to 65 looks pretty darn good to me.
The 2.1 luminance patch seemed to dial
things in just a little more.
post #325 of 1307 Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbloodsflow View Post

Oops meant to post this in the other GT thread. Sorry, I'll leave it here though too in case anyone has any input.

Now when viewing D-Nice's slides, I seem to be seeing some uniformity problems. Mainly when viewing the green slides, pretty much only on them. It kind of looks blotchy in areas, I dunno if this is DSE or what. But some areas appear brighter and darker than others.

Now there appears to be a one inch wide band running vertically down the middle right hand side of the screen. Everything to the right of this band looks to be slightly brighter and more uniform.

I will check on it later today when I get home from work as I'm going to running the slides. Again, I can't see any of this on ANY other color. At least not as far as I can tell. I have read about screen uniformity problems and the green tinge issues with this years Panasonics but this doesn't seem to be that.

Also I'd like to note, all 3 of the previous GT30's I returned had other issues, but I also noticed this blotchy/uneven screen on almost all of them. Especially on green. Could this just be the phosphors needing more time to break in and wear evenly? Sometimes the set seems to look perfect...then I'll come back later and see flaws.

I would also like to hear anyone else input my gt30 has the same problems on the green slides and I am having another gt30 shipped
post #326 of 1307 Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 AM

It seems to come and go on my GT. Im beginning to think its some kind of IR. It just doesn't make sense. I've seen the same problems on 3 other GTs and got the chance to check out my sisters St30. It does indeed have the same uniformity problems.

What's weird is that they have been in nearly the same spots on all of the TVs. But there hasn't been anything on the display that would make it have IR like that.

Out of curiousty...where are you from and where did you get your TV from? What is the build date?
post #327 of 1307 Old 12-22-2011, 07:24 AM

Im from Virginia got my gt30 from Amazon with a April build date already have a replacement coming if it has the same problem im not sure if i should just keep it .
I love the TV and its hard to notice unless your watching the green slides but I just replaced a 2010 Samsung for having screen problems and the gt30 problem lack in severity that my Samsung had.
post #328 of 1307 Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 AM

I'm using D-Nice's settings.I did not go into the service menu.Did the 2.1 and 2.2 updates.I put up a white screen and saw a little burn in from the Fox News spinning box in the lower left corner.I've had the set for 2 weeks.Will the anti Image Retention Scrolling Bar get rid of it,or is it permanent?I have the Pixel Orbiter on.What should I do? Very worried.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
post #329 of 1307 Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 AM
ped

Quote:
Originally Posted by petemc1 View Post

I'm using D-Nice's settings.I did not go into the service menu.Did the 2.1 and 2.2 updates.I put up a white screen and saw a little burn in from the Fox News spinning box in the lower left corner.I've had the set for 2 weeks.Will the anti Image Retention Scrolling Bar get rid of it,or is it permanent?I have the Pixel Orbiter on.What should I do? Very worried.

If you did the D'nice panel aging and have the slides I would run them with "normal" (i.e. contrast <100) picture settings for at least 12 hrs, although it could very well take more. Use some sort of slide set, either the Evangelo2's or webapalooza's, it's been reported that the scrolling bar is not effective. Obviously, don't watch Fox News for a while
post #330 of 1307 Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Yeah,but CNN and ESPN,etc,etc have those damn logo's too.I'll run the break in slides when I can.Does the risk of Ir or burn in go away after the first 100/200 hours of watching the tv?

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page