The Official Panasonic GT30 Settings Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1307 Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone post a new link to the 2.1 FW/Patch? I've tried the link posted in this thread and it no longer works. Also did some web searches and can't find it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1307 Old 12-31-2011, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys just got my 55" GT30 in and when I went to viera cast it prompted me to do the update which was (2.2) is this software or firmware update and should I be still manually updating the 2.1 firmwire that everybody is talking about or does it depend on the manufacturer date?

Thank you.
post #363 of 1307 Old 12-31-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serf33 View Post

Can someone post a new link to the 2.1 FW/Patch? I've tried the link posted in this thread and it no longer works. Also did some web searches and can't find it.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin123 View Post

Hey guys just got my 55" GT30 in and when I went to viera cast it prompted me to do the update which was (2.2) is this software or firmware update and should I be still manually updating the 2.1 firmwire that everybody is talking about or does it depend on the manufacturer date?

Thank you.

Do 2.1 first from the website above (you need a SD card), then 2.2 from TV itself.
post #364 of 1307 Old 12-31-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @TOMMY@ View Post

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html

Do 2.1 first from the website above (you need a SD card), then 2.2 from TV itself.

As I posted above already have 2.2 so if I do 2.1 manual override I assume the tv will prompt me again for 2.2? (Sorry want to make sure I don't screw anything up)

Also my serial number is: MG-13060311, how do I figure out when the tv was manufactured and is that the number I should be looking at for a build date? (for fbr issues)

Thank you in advance Tommy.
post #365 of 1307 Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:

As I posted above already have 2.2 so if I do 2.1 manual override I assume the tv will prompt me again for 2.2? (Sorry want to make sure I don't screw anything up)

Also my serial number is: MG-13060311, how do I figure out when the tv was manufactured and is that the number I should be looking at for a build date? (for fbr issues)

Thank you in advance Tommy.

2.1 will override your 2.2. I'm not sure whether the TV will prompt you again for 2.2. If not, go to Setup -> Network Settings to update to 2.2.
post #366 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 08:56 AM

The TV will prompt you again.
post #367 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks gents, will do update tonight after work.

Still can't figure out how to find the panel age by my serial number, I bought it here in Canada 5 days ago and the serial number is MG-13060311
post #368 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 11:06 AM

I have a 50GT30 November build with 2.2 firmware. Did the 100 hour slide show and applied the D-Nice
settings. The PQ is excellent!

I've got a couple of questions. When entering the service menu to make the adjustments I noticed the
picture mode says "Vivid" even though I entered from the THX mode. Cycling through the picture modes in
the service menu there is no THX mode so I just went back to vivid and made the adjustments.

Is that correct?

I haven't installed the 2.1 update yet. From what I've read so far the D-Nice settings were done before
the 2.1 update. Has he calibrated any sets that had 2.1 installed?
post #369 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Thanks gents, will do update tonight after work.

Still can't figure out how to find the panel age by my serial number, I bought it here in Canada 5 days ago and the serial number is MG-13060311

There should be a sticker on the back with the build date.
post #370 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post

There should be a sticker on the back with the build date.

I guess its coming off from the wall
post #371 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I guess its coming off from the wall

If you still have the box Panasonic puts a couple of peel off stickers with the serial# on them.
I always peel those off and stick one on the front of the owners manual for future reference.
post #372 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I have a 50GT30 November build with 2.2 firmware. Did the 100 hour slide show and applied the D-Nice
settings. The PQ is excellent!

I've got a couple of questions. When entering the service menu to make the adjustments I noticed the
picture mode says "Vivid" even though I entered from the THX mode. Cycling through the picture modes in
the service menu there is no THX mode so I just went back to vivid and made the adjustments.

Is that correct?

I haven't installed the 2.1 update yet. From what I've read so far the D-Nice settings were done before
the 2.1 update. Has he calibrated any sets that had 2.1 installed?

You don't have to be in THX when you're in the service menu. It's irrelevant. Any mode is fine.

I also read D-Nice setting is best suited for pre-2.1 update. Someone at the other forum suggested to not install 2.1 if you use D-Nice's setting.
post #373 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:

You don't have to be in THX when you're in the service menu. It's irrelevant. Any mode is fine.

I also read D-Nice setting is best suited for pre-2.1 update. Someone at the other forum suggested to not install 2.1 if you use D-Nice's setting.

Thanks Tommy.

One more question. In the past when I had some older sets calibrated you had to calibrate each input separately.
It appears that when I made the service menu adjustments on HDMI 1 for my DirecTV the HDMI 2 for my
Bluray player changed with them.

Is that correct?

Thanks again!
post #374 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Thanks Tommy.

One more question. In the past when I had some older sets calibrated you had to calibrate each input separately.
It appears that when I made the service menu adjustments on HDMI 1 for my DirecTV the HDMI 2 for my
Bluray player changed with them.

Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Yes, I believe service menu change affects all input.
post #375 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

I have a GT30 that I purchased on Halloween - I did not use break in slides, kept brightness & contrast around 50 for first 50 hours or so, & then applied Dave O settings, 2.1 Luminance patch & 2.2 firmware update and have been watching all content ever since with no problems at all. July build date, does not appear to have any Fbr and I am quite pleased with picture quality. There are many who swear by the break in process, as well as countless others (most who do not post on this, or any thread) who take the set out of the box, turn it on, and enjoy their video content.

Is this the general consensus of what to do if you want to run a break in period to reduce IR and Burn in but don't want to do the slides?

I ordered the 55GT30 and will have it delivered on Tuesday. I have 3 kids (5 and under) and the tv will be delivered while I am at work but my wife and kids will be home. I want to advise her on what setting to put it at so the kids can watch her shows.

They watch a lot of kids shows that have the black bars on the sides so I know to ZOOM specifically for those shows and will advise my wife of this as well. But should I just put the contrast and brightness to 50 (as suggested above) and use that for 50-100 hours? What mode should it be on? THX? Custom? I know not Vivid!

Also, should I apply the 2.1 patch then 2.2 from the get go or wait for the 100 hours of break in before doing all that?

If you haven't noticed, I am not a videophile so I prefer to not go through the slides and applying DNice's calibration (although I am sure it is great). Rather I want to be able to watch the tv from the start but will take precaution for the first 100 hours. As far as gaming goes, we have a Wii that gets "some" play (about 5 hours a week) and will eventually have a ps3 (mine died and need to replace) but that shouldn't be more than 10 hours a week as well. Likely won't have that until well after 100 hours of viewing though.

To rehash:

Contrast and brightness at 50?
Mode? THX? Custom? Cinema?
Zoom (for letterbox)
Anything else for the break in?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions. There seems to be countless ways for people to enjoy their tv's and I just want to be able to use the best and easiest way to lower any concerns of IR or burn in.
post #376 of 1307 Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 PM

I had done the 100 hour prep then updated to 2.2 and was happy with the quality I had... but after reading this forum and hearing people talk about 2.1 and how great it is I went ahead and installed it then updated again to 2.2. I noticed a difference right away which I am not happy with. Now my picture and colors have less pop and the panel seems more brighter, things just look more washed out and whiter. I applied the settings from this post for 2.1/2.2 and still think it's worse than what I had before. Gaming and anime/cartoon watching look worse now since colors seem to gone a step back, things look brighter and more white, while before It was a little more dark but the colors had much more pop. Can anyone explain what 2.1 does? The only way I can get my tv to look like i had it before i installed 2.1 was to put the blacks set to darker but still doesn't look as good. While I was seeing the difference I was testing on DBZ kai which I was watching on blu ray and my ps3 games wallpaper game icons. Everything looked much less impressive. It looks like a LCD now.
post #377 of 1307 Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odovic View Post

I had done the 100 hour prep then updated to 2.2 and was happy with the quality I had... but after reading this forum and hearing people talk about 2.1 and how great it is I went ahead and installed it then updated again to 2.2. I noticed a difference right away which I am not happy with. Now my picture and colors have less pop and the panel seems more brighter, things just look more washed out and whiter. I applied the settings from this post for 2.1/2.2 and still think it's worse than what I had before. Gaming and anime/cartoon watching look worse now since colors seem to gone a step back, things look brighter and more white, while before It was a little more dark but the colors had much more pop. Can anyone explain what 2.1 does? The only way I can get my tv to look like i had it before i installed 2.1 was to put the blacks set to darker but still doesn't look as good. While I was seeing the difference I was testing on DBZ kai which I was watching on blu ray and my ps3 games wallpaper game icons. Everything looked much less impressive. It looks like a LCD now.

My situation is the same. Can someone help with settings after 2.1 and D-Nice's panel prep? I was happier before and should not have applied the patch. Is there a way to remove it and try to go back to where I was?
post #378 of 1307 Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils90 View Post

My situation is the same. Can someone help with settings after 2.1 and D-Nice's panel prep? I was happier before and should not have applied the patch. Is there a way to remove it and try to go back to where I was?

This is alarming. Anyone else happier with pre-2.1 setting?
post #379 of 1307 Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:

This is alarming. Anyone else happier with pre-2.1 setting?

I'm pretty happy with my 55gt30 picture without the 2.1patch. I thought about doing it and glad I didn't. Mine is a June build with only automatic firmware (2.2) updates.
post #380 of 1307 Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 PM

I have printed out the settings that Dave and D-nice have. I'm in the process of running the 100 hrs slides.
But, I will probably use Dave's settings as I would rather not go into the service menu (that scares me!). Are Dave's settings after the 100 hour run also?
I know that he has settings listed after the 2.1 and 2.2 update which I have done. New at this Plasma thing, so be gentile.
post #381 of 1307 Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxthedog View Post

I have printed out the settings that Dave and D-nice have. I'm in the process of running the 100 hrs slides.
But, I will probably use Dave's settings as I would rather not go into the service menu (that scares me!). Are Dave's settings after the 100 hour run also?
I know that he has settings listed after the 2.1 and 2.2 update which I have done. New at this Plasma thing, so be gentile.

I don't believe Dave O's settings are based on any particular break in process . There is certainly no harm in running the 100 hour slides and then adjusting to Dave's settings. I didn't run slides, but have installed 2.1 patch & 2.2 update and am very pleased with Dave's settings - picture looks fantastic on all medium I have viewed so far, including DirecTV, BluRay, DVD, Netflix & Amazon, photos & videos. Like you I wasn't tempted to enter the dark world of the service menu & didn't find the 100 hour slide process plausible. However many in this thread have diligently followed the D-Nice process & are quite pleased, but as recent posts indicate, the D-Nice settings don't seem to play well with the 2.1 patch.

post #382 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 05:55 AM

I noticed that when switching between mid and high panel brightness, mid seems to be brighter. This was not the case before the 2.1 upgrade.... However my picture does look great with the mid settings that Dave O provided(thank you dave o). Maybe my eyes are playing tricks with me as I have been playing with the settings for awhile now.
post #383 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:

Is it possible that the 2.1 patch just adds additional offsets to the SM values? Did you have D-Nice offsets in the SM when you applied the 2.1? If so, the result is not what it is supposed to be after applying the 2.1 patch and it should be possible to fix by 'reverting' the D-Nice offsets.
post #384 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 06:28 AM

After reading quite a few responses regarding calibrating (which is really subjective depending on one's vision IMO), I was wondering how many many folks out there setup their GT30 initially to either THX or custom modes without any further tweaks and if so, what were your opinions on the TV?
post #385 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

2.1 addresses luminance issues. To my understanding, the luminance has to do with light output, and I think behind color...if that makes sense. So if you are watching anime and you notice that it is brighter I am not surprised. What I had noticed is that with skin tones before the 2.1 update, things looked very flat and dull. This was a personal observation especially when comparing to the Samsung sets. I think now with the 2.1 update that colors actually look better and blacks inkier, due to the increased luminance.

As far as the comment about those who used D-Nice's settings and not using the 2.1 update, the actual quote was from D-Nice and he said basically if you had a professional calibrate your tv then they would be able to fix the luminance, but he didn't specifically say if you entered his settings posted on forums. There is definitely a difference between using his 100 hour prep and settings vs. a professional spending hours with their equipment adjusting your television. HOWEVER how much his settings may or may not account for luminance...I am not sure.

But anyways, what your preferences are is up to you. Have you tried out Dave O's settings with low panel brightness? That might make anime look nicer.

EDIT: Here is the quote I had posted a few pages back:

"The 65VT30 was calibrated today with the new color luminance firmware. It is a marked improved compared to how the Mid panel brightness use to look post calibration @ a color setting of 50. However, I do not think it is a miracle firmware and it definitely has issues (i.e. a color setting of 50 does not always look correct). For those wo have already had their display calibrated by myself or toher calibrators who know how to work around the VT30s color deficiencies, there is absolutely no reason to install this update and have your panel recalibrated.

Kudos for the update Panasonic, but I personally think color decoding should have been the focus."
post #386 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

2.1 addresses luminance issues. To my understanding, the luminance has to do with light output, and I think behind color...if that makes sense. So if you are watching anime and you notice that it is brighter I am not surprised. What I had noticed is that with skin tones before the 2.1 update, things looked very flat and dull. This was a personal observation especially when comparing to the Samsung sets. I think now with the 2.1 update that colors actually look better and blacks inkier, due to the increased luminance.

As far as the comment about those who used D-Nice's settings and not using the 2.1 update, the actual quote was from D-Nice and he said basically if you had a professional calibrate your tv then they would be able to fix the luminance, but he didn't specifically say if you entered his settings posted on forums. There is definitely a difference between using his 100 hour prep and settings vs. a professional spending hours with their equipment adjusting your television. HOWEVER how much his settings may or may not account for luminance...I am not sure.

But anyways, what your preferences are is up to you. Have you tried out Dave O's settings with low panel brightness? That might make anime look nicer.

EDIT: Here is the quote I had posted a few pages back:

"The 65VT30 was calibrated today with the new color luminance firmware. It is a marked improved compared to how the Mid panel brightness use to look post calibration @ a color setting of 50. However, I do not think it is a miracle firmware and it definitely has issues (i.e. a color setting of 50 does not always look correct). For those wo have already had their display calibrated by myself or toher calibrators who know how to work around the VT30s color deficiencies, there is absolutely no reason to install this update and have your panel recalibrated.

Kudos for the update Panasonic, but I personally think color decoding should have been the focus."

When viewing real life content the image looks good, but whats upsetting is that the update seems to have made the colors go a step back, which for me makes it look worse when it comes to gaming or any kind of cartoon viewing. Before I was amazed when gaming and watching shows like family guy because colors were so rich. This 2.1 even changed how my settings looked when I had it set up in game mode, which was the mode I used when I watched cartoons or gamed.

Now what I want to know is, if I get the board of this TV replaced since I have a March set with brightness fluctuation issue will that erase all updates and make TV restored to factory settings? Cause if not I will have to return this set and start all over just to get rid of this paranoia.. Every time I use the TV now I'm thinking of how it looked before...
post #387 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

When viewing real life content the image looks good, but whats upsetting is that the update seems to have made the colors go a step back, which for me makes it look worse when it comes to gaming or any kind of cartoon viewing. Before I was amazed when gaming and watching shows like family guy because colors were so rich. This 2.1 even changed how my settings looked when I had it set up in game mode, which was the mode I used when I watched cartoons or gamed.

Now what I want to know is, if I get the board of this TV replaced since I have a March set with brightness fluctuation issue will that erase all updates and make TV restored to factory settings? Cause if not I will have to return this set and start all over just to get rid of this paranoia.. Every time I use the TV now I'm thinking of how it looked before..

I don't believe so.

Did you try my suggestion with the Dave O settings and the low panel brightness? That may help.
post #388 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonester2221 View Post

After reading quite a few responses regarding calibrating (which is really subjective depending on one's vision IMO), I was wondering how many many folks out there setup their GT30 initially to either THX or custom modes without any further tweaks and if so, what were your opinions on the TV?

I use THX after 2.1 and 2.2 and find the picture quite good, actually find skin tones much better than the other suggested settings, makes me wonder if anything went wrong with the other settings since so many seem to prefer them. For me, Dave-O's settings produce very grey orange skin, not pinky white.
post #389 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I don't believe so.

Did you try my suggestion with the Dave O settings and the low panel brightness? That may help.

I tried Dave O custom 2.1 settings and lowering panel brightness didn't help but what I learned messing around is that the gamma under custom gives different results than before I had installed 2.1. Setting the gamma now to 2.6 looks more like my tv pre 2.1 update even though before I updated I always had it on 2.2 gamma . Before raising gamma just made picture a little brighter with slight less color but now its the opposite, now raising I get better color and a slight dimmer image. So so far gamma is the closest way I can get to what I had before. I think I will return.
post #390 of 1307 Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM

Shouldn't I notice a difference in mid and high panel brightness when switching back and forth? I have no intention of using the high setting but mid seems brighter than high???
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60gt30 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page