post #451 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagz5586 View Post

Go to Aspect Adjustment and the choose Full

Thanks jagz, but it is on full. Even on full there is about an 1/8 of an inch of black screen in between the picture and the bezel. Maybe it is supposed to be there? If not, I can't find an answer anywhere in these forums. Can someone look closely at their screen and see if your picture goes all the way to the bezel or is there a small gap of black?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litty31 View Post

Thanks jagz, but it is on full. Even on full there is about an 1/8 of an inch of black screen in between the picture and the bezel. Maybe it is supposed to be there? If not, I can't find an answer anywhere in these forums. Can someone look closely at their screen and see if your picture goes all the way to the bezel or is there a small gap of black?
Thanks

Can you try to take a picture of it?
post #453 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Can you try to take a picture of it?

I can. I will do that tonight.
Thanks
post #454 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbk View Post

I'm also on the fence and would like to hear from others that have started with D-Nice settings pre 2.1 and then installed 2.1 with the Dave-O settings. Better, Worse or about the same???

I like the D-Nice THX picture I have now but would also love to get a little more pop without destorying the color and PQ !

My question is if the Dave O after the 2.1 luminance patch. (I think I got that right. I'm a little confused on which updated to install. I know it was posted but have not gone back to find it. I'm still @ 60 hours.) Is there a benefit from doing D-nices settings 1st? Or Does Dave O settings require you to go back into the SM and return everything to default?
post #455 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post

My question is if the Dave O after the 2.1 luminance patch. (I think I got that right. I'm a little confused on which updated to install. I know it was posted but have not gone back to find it. I'm still @ 60 hours.) Is there a benefit from doing D-nices settings 1st? Or Does Dave O settings require you to go back into the SM and return everything to default?

it has been suggested, frequently, in this thread, that if you want to fully implement the D-Nice process (break in slides & settings) then it is not advised to load the 2.1 luminance patch. on the other hand - Dave O provides a very nice looking setting, that while dependent on installing the 2.1 luminance patch, as well as the 2.2 update firmware ( after installing 2.1 patch) there is no need to enter the service menu.

I chose not to use the break in slides, but did load the 2.1 patch & 2.2 firmware update & Dave O's settings and am pretty pleased with the results. in my opinion - this is a good starting point, and you can always tweak to preference as you watch different content and examine contrast, skin tones, black levels, etc.

post #456 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

it has been suggested, frequently, in this thread, that if you want to fully implement the D-Nice process (break in slides & settings) then it is not advised to load the 2.1 luminance patch. on the other hand - Dave O provides a very nice looking setting, that while dependent on installing the 2.1 luminance patch, as well as the 2.2 update firmware ( after installing 2.1 patch) there is no need to enter the service menu.

I chose not to use the break in slides, but did load the 2.1 patch & 2.2 firmware update & Dave O's settings and am pretty pleased with the results. in my opinion - this is a good starting point, and you can always tweak to preference as you watch different content and examine contrast, skin tones, black levels, etc.

I posted on page 6 a quote directly from D-Nice on another thread on his thoughts of the 2.1 firmware.

"The 65VT30 was calibrated today with the new color luminance firmware. It is a marked improved compared to how the Mid panel brightness use to look post calibration @ a color setting of 50. However, I do not think it is a miracle firmware and it definitely has issues (i.e. a color setting of 50 does not always look correct). For those wo have already had their display calibrated by myself or toher calibrators who know how to work around the VT30s color deficiencies, there is absolutely no reason to install this update and have your panel recalibrated.

Kudos for the update Panasonic, but I personally think color decoding should have been the focus."

If you see that part I made bold, it would imply that there is not need to have your panel re-calibrated after applying this update.

That is at least how I read it...I think people interpret it differently.

And also he mentions having your set calibrated by himself which does not equal using his procedures listed online.

So I am still a bit unclear on this whole thing.
post #457 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 424
After about a week of use on my 65”, I found a big difference in the brightness setting when I ran Spears and Munsil’s in THX compared to some of the recommended settings posted here and elsewhere. Most recommend 54, mine tuned in at 36. Isolated and pitch black room. 2.1 and 2.2 intalled.

It looks like 99% of the people posting prefer Custom. I keep going back and forth between Custom and Cinema when watching satellite. I find the colors in Cinema to be less intense/oversaturated. I’m also gravitating to Warm1 over Warm2, pretty much for the same reason. Still early in hours, but its interesting to play with the settings and modes to see what is pleasing and preferable to the eye.
post #458 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
ped

Quote:

I posted on page 6 a quote directly from D-Nice on another thread on his thoughts of the 2.1 firmware.

"The 65VT30 was calibrated today with the new color luminance firmware. It is a marked improved compared to how the Mid panel brightness use to look post calibration @ a color setting of 50. However, I do not think it is a miracle firmware and it definitely has issues (i.e. a color setting of 50 does not always look correct). For those wo have already had their display calibrated by myself or toher calibrators who know how to work around the VT30s color deficiencies, there is absolutely no reason to install this update and have your panel recalibrated.

Kudos for the update Panasonic, but I personally think color decoding should have been the focus."

If you see that part I made bold, it would imply that there is not need to have your panel re-calibrated after applying this update.

And also he mentions having your set calibrated by himself which does not equal using his procedures listed online.

To me it reads if you've had your panel calibrated by someone who knows what they are doing then you don't need the patch at all.

However, if you apply the patch, then you will need to recalibrate regardless of who calibrated it.
post #459 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 02:41 PM

After re-reading pages 6&7, Thanks FantaXP7 fpr pin pointing my search.

At this point in time I plan to continue with the slides, perform D-nice settings in SM for a GT, install2.1 luminance patch then 2.2 firmware patch. Then look at Dave O settings. There have been several people who follow this route and claimed to be happy.
post #460 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I haven't utilized the D-Nice set-up & settings process - so I'm not claiming any expertise in this area other than to report what I have read on this & other related threads. D-Nice posted his settings many months prior to the release of the luminance patch. His directions were very explicit regarding following his process completely (install slides, run for 100 hours, view no other content, etc.) then make appropriate service menu & on screen adjustments. So my understanding is that you do not need to load the luminance patch if you want to run the D-Nice settings. There does not appear to be any problem loading the luminance patch and using any other recommended settings (Dave O, Those owners that had their sets calibrated prior to the release of the patch don't have to do anything. Current owners anticipating a pro calibration may want to consult with their calibrator prior to loading the patch - and for everyone else - there have been very few, if any complaints, about the luminance patch - so load and tweak, use calibration DVD's and enjoy!

post #461 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

After re-reading pages 6&7, Thanks FantaXP7 fpr pin pointing my search.

At this point in time I plan to continue with the slides, perform D-nice settings in SM for a GT, install2.1 luminance patch then 2.2 firmware patch. Then look at Dave O settings. There have been several people who follow this route and claimed to be happy.

I for one am using Dave_O settings and am happy with the result. But I'm only in about 42-45 hrs of use.
post #462 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

I for one am using Dave_O settings and am happy with the result. But I'm only in about 42-45 hrs of use.

No D-nice setting prior to 2.1?
post #463 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 04:28 PM

I have a 65GT30 and it was a June build. It had FBr and I had a Panny tech fix it with an SD card. Right after we installed the 2.1 firmware and then the 2.2 update. I had DeWayne (D-Nice ) do a calibration at about 250 hours on the TV. It is a stunning picture. Thanks again DeWayne. I watched Avatar in 2D and 3D in a black room and again, it was stunning. I sit about 14 feet from this monster and it is quite an experience. I ran the slides and after just watched tv with no black bars. The calibration took some time. He said the FBr fix really does some weird things to the settings, along with the 2.1. He spent about 3 hrs pushing through the calibration. Anyone on the fence about getting a pro-calibration, should do it. It is amazing the clarity and color this tv can produce. Watching fast motion scenes is perfect. I have FiOS and have never had an issue. Even the SD programming looks great.
post #464 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 05:56 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

No D-nice setting prior to 2.1?

I chose not to run the slides which D_Nice made quite clear Not to use his settings if you haven't followed the directions doing the slides I might take a peek after 100 hrs of TV use but for now it's THX and Dave_O
post #465 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litty31 View Post

Thanks

When I look closely at my 50GT30 screen, I see the same thing. I assume that the 1/8" black gap is normal for this TV and do not consider it to be a problem. It is not something I notice when watching TV.
post #466 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

I chose not to run the slides which D_Nice made quite clear Not to use his settings if you haven't followed the directions doing the slides I might take a peek after 100 hrs of TV use but for now it's THX and Dave_O

All options are open to me. I am running the slides besides I can’t watch the TV anyhow. I’m rebuilding the cabinet/ shelf unit that surrounded by old 55 RPTV. I will be installing it tomorrow. The slides will be done Saturday morning.
The very first thing I’m doing after I hook up a program source is call Panasonic back and they said they can tell if I need a FB fix, my set is right on the cusp a 1214 Aug build. I refused to hook up a source the day the set arrived so we could test it. IF I do need a FB fix than I will wait to do anything till they replace the board.

I’m still unsure how I want to go one; I could go D-nice two; could be D-nice the 2.1,2.2 then Dave O (the way I’m leaning) Or skip D-nice and do Dave O with updates.

One reason I’m unsure is coming from a calibrated RPTV I’m used to a dark room. I think my wife will be expecting some pop. I want the very best picture even at the cost of a little pop. When I go the movies the screen doesn’t pop.

Thanks again everybody for posting all the settings and tweaks there after and especially to all those that have tried to help me and all my questions.
post #467 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post

To me it reads if you've had your panel calibrated by someone who knows what they are doing then you don't need the patch at all.

However, if you apply the patch, then you will need to recalibrate regardless of who calibrated it.

I absolutely see how you see it that way. I just wanted to point out that in addition to that being misleading (even if only to me) that there is a difference in having your set calibrated professionally and using D-Nice's settings.

SO...perhaps that quote is totally irrelevant to using D-Nice's settings...
post #468 of 1311 Old 02-02-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyways, after a lot of tweaking and following this thread and others I have spent far too much time obsessing over what the "best" settings possible are and haven't enjoyed my TV nearly enough. My tv looks great and I am happy overall.

My advice to others: don't sweat it too much.
post #469 of 1311 Old 02-03-2012, 06:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I plan on picking up a 65gt30 in the next few days. Just wondering if someone can lead me in the right direction for pro calibration. I've seen a number of pro calibrators post on here, but I'm in Vegas and am not sure who is available in my area (other than BB, lol).

Thanks
post #470 of 1311 Old 02-03-2012, 07:41 PM

Liked: 15
Darn iPhone...I can't find the Dave O settings!
post #471 of 1311 Old 02-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Okay, since my last post I've read the entire thread. Didn't want to because I've read so many already, but really glad I did.

I'm coming from LEDs, but find something so pleasant about the plasma image. I briefly owned a 50st30 and really appreciated it, except for one thing: the dimness.

I didn't expect it to be as bright as an LCD/LED but its light output was a bit challenging, save pure dark environments.

All I wanted was just bit more brightness and punch. I considered the Sammys, but they still haven't solved the brightness pops yet (although a firmware update appears to be in the works).

After reading everything here I'm convinced the new 2.1 patch with Dave Os settings will give me that little extra something I was looking for.

So I went to BB last night and ordered one. They had a pretty good deal on the 65". Just 100 more than the 65st30. Plus free delivery. It arrives on Monday. Can't wait.

I just hope it's a post August build. The previous st30 I got in-store was a Nov build. This 65gt30 is shipping from the warehouse, so keeping my fingers crossed.
post #472 of 1311 Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you made a good choice. Be sure to
post your impressions/comparison to the ST30
as there doesn't seem to be many around here who've owned
both.
post #473 of 1311 Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 AM

cpcat,

Thanks. I will. I know how important such comparisons have been to me in the past. But if this latest patch can't be installed on the st30 (or there's not an st30 equivalent) then that alone would create a pretty obvious difference in my book.

I expect SB weekend to be pretty quiet around here. Hope everyone enjoys their displays.
post #474 of 1311 Old 02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

I think you made a good choice. Be sure to
post your impressions/comparison to the ST30
as there doesn't seem to be many around here who've owned
both.

Good point, I am curious as well.
post #475 of 1311 Old 02-04-2012, 11:12 PM

Ok. So my Panasonic GT30 is a November build and has firmware 2200 which I'm assuming is 2.2. Based on the posts here my tv would not have gotten the 2.1 update. From what I've read this update improves the picture somewhat. I'm not doing break-in slides but for my cable box I use Dave_0's settings. For bluray I use THX with contrast bumped to 70 and brightness down to 45 to try and eliminate the dithering/snow effect I've scene in dark scenes.

Do you guys recommend me upgrading to 2.1 and then back to 2.2 even though I have a November build?
post #476 of 1311 Old 02-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post

Ok. So my Panasonic GT30 is a November build and has firmware 2200 which I'm assuming is 2.2. Based on the posts here my tv would not have gotten the 2.1 update. From what I've read this update improves the picture somewhat. I'm not doing break-in slides but for my cable box I use Dave_0's settings. For bluray I use THX with contrast bumped to 70 and brightness down to 45 to try and eliminate the dithering/snow effect I've scene in dark scenes.

Do you guys recommend me upgrading to 2.1 and then back to 2.2 even though I have a November build?

I don't think the Nov. date matters.

It does raise the question, however: Will Panasonic at some point (if not already) be selling the sets with the new 2.1 patch? From what it seems here, you will always have to manually apply it.

I'm def going to take advantage of it as it improves things to my liking.
post #477 of 1311 Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 AM

This has been a big struggle for me. My house came with this little nook that is totally useless if I want to have a large screen display (like the 65gt30). Right now the little bedroom TV is occupying the space until the big guy gets here, but when it arrives I'm going to have to pull out the TV stand to set the TV on it. Quite ugly.

I'm ready to put an end to this. Open to any and all suggestions. Two that I've considered are:

1. Find a way to place some 2x4s on the outside of the opening, install a mount on the 2X4s, then place the TV on the mount. This could be a tough option, however. Not sure.

2. Find some kind of mount with a strong enough arm that I could install in the back of the opening that would extend out far enough to mount the TV on so that it would pretty much sit right outside of the opening.

This whole thing has been bugging me for a long time now. If you feel that I should ask this question somewhere else just let me know.

Thanks for reading
LL
post #478 of 1311 Old 02-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Can the 2.1 firmware patch update using a usb device or strictly SD Card?....My antique laptop does not have an sd card option.THX

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #479 of 1311 Old 02-05-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Can the 2.1 firmware patch update using a usb device or strictly SD Card?....My antique laptop does not have an sd card option.THX

Yes, it does have to be an SD card. Sucks, I know. I went to BB and got a 2 Gig SD card and a card reader for 20 bucks, so it's a fair price IMO for improved image quality.
post #480 of 1311 Old 02-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVizio View Post

Yes, it does have to be an SD card. Sucks, I know. I went to BB and got a 2 Gig SD card and a card reader for 20 bucks, so it's a fair price IMO for improved image quality.

Not quite correct - others have reported using USB to download the 2.1 patch with no problems.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page