AVS Forum banner

The Official Panasonic GT30 Settings Thread

291K views 1K replies 250 participants last post by  WashPark 
#1 ·
Never made an official thread before and I had asked about the settings people were using on their GT30's and got some feedback that there should be and official settings thread.

I haven't even gotten mine yet (coming tuesday the 14th), but would love to edit/organize this first post with a list of the settings everyones using similar to whats going on in the D7000 thread, etc.

It would be great if you could include all the settings along with your values, as well as the size and type of room your have the TV located.

This thread should be used to discuss settings and settings only. No TV war type stuff.

Thanks

-Dave

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh /forum/post/20649007

I finally had the guts to order a 50GT30 last week, should be getting it on July 7th. I'm really looking forward to playing with it. I just hope I don't get a defective set or see the fluctuation brightness everyone's talking about. Yesterday, I read a brand new review on Amazon where a guy says the fluctuating drop in brightness is annoying, making it unbearable to watch some programs and movies that have a lot of transitions from light to dark. I have a few questions; Did you guys put your gt30 through a break-in period with slide shows prior to using Ken's settings? Or are the settings that Ken posted recommended for watching any program content from the get go? Thanks in advance.

I wont say i havent seen the FBr but I can say it hasnt made me say, "Damn this tv is garbage this is so unbearable to watch" Maybe some people have it worse than mine, but if not, then its not a huge deal.

I ran D-nice's break in slides, but i also watched tv without having black bars or static images for awhile. I would run the slides at night, and watch tv when i wanted til about 125 hrs. If you cant hold off on watching tv on the new set, just make sure you stay away from static images, and no black bars. The set looks nice especially when using ken's settings.

I did change a few things

Custom

Contrast 75

Brightness 57

Color 50

Tint 0

Sharpness 25

Color Temp Warm 2

CATS off

Video NR off

Color space normal

high R -3

high G 6

high B 5

low R 3

low G -3

low B -5

Gamma 2.2

PB mid

contour on

AGC 0

Full Size 1

block NR off

Mosquito NR off

Motion Smoother strong

Black Level Light

#28 ·
looks good!!

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey /forum/post/20649235

I wont say i havent seen the FBr but I can say it hasnt made me say, "Damn this tv is garbage this is so unbearable to watch" Maybe some people have it worse than mine, but if not, then its not a huge deal.

I ran D-nice's break in slides, but i also watched tv without having black bars or static images for awhile. I would run the slides at night, and watch tv when i wanted til about 125 hrs. If you cant hold off on watching tv on the new set, just make sure you stay away from static images, and no black bars. The set looks nice especially when using ken's settings.

I did change a few things

Custom

Contrast 75

Brightness 57

Color 50

Tint 0

Sharpness 25

Color Temp Warm 2

CATS off

Video NR off

Color space normal

high R -3

high G 6

high B 5

low R 3

low G -3

low B -5

Gamma 2.2

PB mid

contour on

AGC 0

Full Size 1

block NR off

Mosquito NR off

Motion Smoother strong

Black Level Light

#29 ·
I didnt change anything that would change Ken's settings much. I just like motion smoother, and i think having contour emphasis on gives the picture a sharper look, I was testing it by looking at target fields grass with it on and off. With it off the grass looked blurry and with it on it made it more crisp and detailed.

#30 ·
Yeah, I can watch content without black bars, however, most channels we watch on cable usually have a stinking logo at the bottom right corner. Is there some type of progamming you suggest I watch, for example, something that has lots of color, such as cartoons. I have many Disney films that have an aspect ratio of 1:85 which will fill the entire screen. What do you all suggest?

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh /forum/post/20650488

Yeah, I can watch content without black bars, however, most channels we watch on cable usually have a stinking logo at the bottom right corner. Is there some type of progamming you suggest I watch, for example, something that has lots of color, such as cartoons. I have many Disney films that have an aspect ratio of 1:85 which will fill the entire screen. What do you all suggest?

If you have to watch tv on it, like i did, i would change the the viewing format on the tv to zoom, which will fill the entire screen somewhat past the logo, and then i would go into the format options or aspect and move the picture on the screen up or down whichever way to get rid of the rest of the static image. You end up not being able to see everything because your zoomed in but its better than nothing

#32 ·
Uh oh, intense IR or possibly burn-in on my stores demo of the 50GT30

**IMPORTANT NOTE**for those who are fear this is common:

The TVs picture setting is on "Vivid" which is most susceptible to IR/Burn-in AND, most importantly, the tv continuously for about 3 months was left in the main menu of "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" for hours at a time before play was hit and the play/settings/audio options are static in the menu (these are what may have burned in).

It is subtle, magenta-ish in color, and not noticeable in normal content, only in an all white screen. I noticed it today shortly after i turned on the tv.

I made this post to see how long i should run the scrolling bar before i should give up? The scrolling bar has been going for 30 min now and i'm running it for the 3rd time to see if it helps. So far I haven't noticed an improvement.

Edit: I gave up after running it for the third time (45 min total). I tossed in a different disc that's designed to loop on 3D so hopefully it improves with time. I'll be monitoring it daily out of my own curiousity to see if it dissipates and i'll make a new post if it does.

#33 ·
Thanks for the settings Ken! I was on the fence with the built in ones and doing too much switching around for the various modes of viewing but your settings seem to be great for all types of content. I modified to add a bit of sharpness (25) and use Warm 1 as well as the colors a bit too strong at warm 2. Also the blacks did not seem to be as deep so I have gamma set to 2.0. Still breaking in with the standard color gradient slides but SF Giants games look AWESOME with these settings! Thanks again

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovineD /forum/post/20655677

Thanks for the settings Ken! I was on the fence with the built in ones and doing too much switching around for the various modes of viewing but your settings seem to be great for all types of content. I modified to add a bit of sharpness (25) and use Warm 1 as well as the colors a bit too strong at warm 2. Also the blacks did not seem to be as deep so I have gamma set to 2.0. Still breaking in with the standard color gradient slides but SF Giants games look AWESOME with these settings! Thanks again

Glad I could help!!

ken

#35 ·
does anyone know why when my 65gt30 when set to full and aspect hd size set to 2, i get a 1/8 inch gap from the bezel and the picture on the left side of the screen?? This happens with any format, blu ray, dvd, directv all through hdmi. Even with pixel orbiter off it still doesnt fill up the whole screen

#36 ·
Ken,

I got my 50GT30 2 days ago and have been playing with it all day, all night. Regular HD channel from Time Warner cable look fantastic in THX mode. There is no fluctuating brightness there, plus little tweaking was done in THX mode. For watching blu ray content and dvds, I have the picture set to "Custom" and use the settings you provided. I have noticed very little fluctuation in brightness level, but it is very minimal. You hardly notice it, plus it depends on the content you are watching. Also, some have complained on the buzzing. I hear NO buzzing at all, no matter what level I have the volume set to. The only minor complaint is that the speakers were better on my previous Samsung LCD LN46A650, which is a 2008 model, however, this is not a big deal as this is expected from a very thin plasma. Plus I use a Sony ES home theater receiver to watch blu rays. Other minor thing I noticed, may be my eyes, but the colors seem a little off when comparing the GT30 to my Samsung. My wife says the tv looks better and is the reason why I'm not used to the colors. Neither of us are colorblind. I don't know what to think of this, it's strange. Overall, I am satisfied with this new set.

I have some more questions on HDMI settings; On page 51 of the owner's manual, under "HDMI/DVI RGB Range", do you have that set to AUTO or Standard/Non-Standard? For "Contents Type", do you have that set to OFF, AUTO or GRAPHICS? Thanks again for your help.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh /forum/post/20674360

Ken,

I got my 50GT30 2 days ago and have been playing with it all day, all night. Regular HD channel from Time Warner cable look fantastic in THX mode. There is no fluctuating brightness there, plus little tweaking was done in THX mode. For watching blu ray content and dvds, I have the picture set to "Custom" and use the settings you provided. I have noticed very little fluctuation in brightness level, but it is very minimal. You hardly notice it, plus it depends on the content you are watching. Also, some have complained on the buzzing. I hear NO buzzing at all, no matter what level I have the volume set to. The only minor complaint is that the speakers were better on my previous Samsung LCD LN46A650, which is a 2008 model, however, this is not a big deal as this is expected from a very thin plasma. Plus I use a Sony ES home theater receiver to watch blu rays. Other minor thing I noticed, may be my eyes, but the colors seem a little off when comparing the GT30 to my Samsung. My wife says the tv looks better and is the reason why I'm not used to the colors. Neither of us are colorblind. I don't know what to think of this, it's strange. Overall, I am satisfied with this new set.

I have some more questions on HDMI settings; On page 51 of the owner's manual, under "HDMI/DVI RGB Range", do you have that set to AUTO or Standard/Non-Standard? For "Contents Type", do you have that set to OFF, AUTO or GRAPHICS? Thanks again for your help.

I have not touched any of these settings. HDMI/DVI set to AUTO and CONTENT TYPE set to OFF.

Agree with your comments on color - yes, I think it is off too - when comparing to my Panny 42PX600U. In some other forums, there is discussions an Panny maybe coming with a firmware update to improve "color gamut". We will see...........

Ken

#38 ·
My objective was to use THX as a base, and get the brightest picture with the most accurate measurements without using the Service Menu. I found that increasing the contrast from 60 to 75 increased the light output from 30fl to 37fl, but further increases in contrast did not produce any increase in light output.

I then measured the effect of changing Color from 47 to 50. Following that, I measured the effect of changing Tint. I ended up with Contrast 75, Color 48, Tint 1 as the best mix.

Measurements of varying Color enclosed. Tint differences were a small improvement in DeltaE H. Setting Tint to -1 or 2 produced significantly worse results.

0k . file

#39 ·
I find that THX mode is by far the best for movie and tv watching. Nothing done in Custom can match THX due to the fact that there is a horrible red push that cannot be fixed in Custom Mode. Unless you get it calibrated I suppose.

THX is very good and the gama might not be the greatest but it is not as bad as many say and the movies and direct tv I watch look incredible with CNET THX mode settings.

I am returning the tv to Amazon due to the horrible FB and dirty screen affect in all dark scenes that I have seen in direct tv or gaming.

I cannot stand the FB due to the fact that it happens a lot. Mainly in anything that is gaming and I game a lot as well so this bugs me to no end.

I will exchange next week for the 59D7000 plasma.

#40 ·
Does anyone have any settings for gaming?

I've turned off a lot of options that would introduce input lag, but I feel like I might be missing some settings...(trying to get it as low as possible for the inputs for my PS3 and 360, anything else going through my receiver I've decided is fine as is).

#41 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkon

I've turned off a lot of options that would introduce input lag, but I feel like I might be missing some settings...(trying to get it as low as possible for the inputs for my PS3 and 360, anything else going through my receiver I've decided is fine as is).
I am very sensitive to input lag and this set has very little that it does not bother me one bit on shooters or sports games like MLB the show

I use custom mode because game mode has horrible FB

#42 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokkon

i actually compared game mode to THX mode and it seems that thx mode is a little better for input lag. Game tested was MLB 11 The Show.

#43 ·
I was doing some relative testing to see what kind of results I was getting...

360 -> HDMI splitter -> GT30 and ASUS VH236H [which is lag tested to around 19ms]

I did the unscientific Rock Band 3 autolag calibration and got 43ms for the GT30 and 25ms for the VH236H. So that tells me that the guitar introduces about 6ms of lag going over the wireless. And that gives me a rough estimate

I haven't actually run anything else to try to get a good read on the input lag (and there's a whole other thread for that), but putting it on THX did knock it down a few ms, so that's a start...

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i /forum/post/0

Contrast , Br, and color calibrated with S &M.......WB settings came from another forum.

Custom

Contrast 75

Brightness 57

Color 50

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Color Temp Warm 2

CATS off

Video NR off

Color space normal

high R -3

high G 6

high B 5

low R 3

low G -3

low B -5

Gamma 2.2

PB mid

contour off

AGC 0

Full Size 2

block NR off

Mosquito NR off

Motion Smoother off

Black Level Light

I am very pleased with the 50GT30, have no FBr, and prefer a brighter MID panel brightness than the recommended LOW. To each his own........

EDIT - located in family room, normal light for day and night. Relocated a Panansonic 42PX600U to the bedroom, and it is STILL a fantastic tv!

Ken

Thanks Ken your calibration info is pretty good. I had some trouble with flesh tones and made a few adjustments on my new 55gt30 Color 42,tint +4(seems to be a little red push), gamma 2.0, contour on, color temp warm1, agc +7.

#45 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i
Contrast , Br, and color calibrated with S &M.......WB settings came from another forum.

Custom

Contrast 75

Brightness 57

Color 50

Tint 0

Sharpness 0

Color Temp Warm 2

CATS off

Video NR off

Color space normal

high R -3

high G 6

high B 5

low R 3

low G -3

low B -5

Gamma 2.2

PB mid

contour off

AGC 0

Full Size 2

block NR off

Mosquito NR off

Motion Smoother off

Black Level Light

I am very pleased with the 50GT30, have no FBr, and prefer a brighter MID panel brightness than the recommended LOW. To each his own........

EDIT - located in family room, normal light for day and night. Relocated a Panansonic 42PX600U to the bedroom, and it is STILL a fantastic tv!

Ken
I have a 60" GT30 and entered these settings until I got to the "block NR", "Mosquito NR", "Motion Smoother" and "Black Level" settings part. I could not get to the setting for these under the Custom setting. How do I get to these settings? I need an easy walk-thru for beginners.

I have been watching the set using the Vivid setting. The custom setting is much different. I am really enjoying the set.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R. /forum/post/20704011

I have a 60" GT30 and entered these settings until I got to the "block NR", "Mosquito NR", "Motion Smoother" and "Black Level" settings part. I could not get to the setting for these under the Custom setting. How do I get to these settings? I need an easy walk-thru for beginners.

I have been watching the set using the Vivid setting. The custom setting is much different. I am really enjoying the set.

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

You have to be in CUSTOM, then on page 3 of settings, select ADVANCE PICTURE.

ken

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i /forum/post/20676039

I have not touched any of these settings. HDMI/DVI set to AUTO and CONTENT TYPE set to OFF.

Agree with your comments on color - yes, I think it is off too - when comparing to my Panny 42PX600U. In some other forums, there is discussions an Panny maybe coming with a firmware update to improve "color gamut". We will see...........

Ken

Thanks for noticing the colors, I knew it wasn't my mind going crazy. With all the discussions I've read about the fluctuating brightness and floating blacks, I can't believe that the color is what's upsetting me the most. I did a comparison yesterday and placed a Vizio flat panel from my bedroom next to the GT30. Believe me, this was a not easy as I had to disconnect and re-connect just to prove a point. Low and behold, the colors on the Vizio seemed more natural when compared to the GT30. Brightness fluctuation is very minimal, seen only on some blu ray content, but not enough to force me to return the set. The fact that the color appears unrealistic is sort of disappointing. I hope they release a firmware to fix this soon.

#48 ·
I have ended up with this setup for my modes and viewing:

THX - D-Nice's settings (night viewing) (ran slides for 140hrs.)

Custom - cNet's settings (night viewing for animations)

Vivid - replicated cNet's settings, but upped the brightness a touch (day viewing) - not so pleased

Now this works fine for night viewing, but my day viewing using Vivid mode just isn't quite right for me. I really like the THX settings, but I can not seem to find a setting I like for daytime viewing.

Anyone, who appreciates D-nice's Settings, care to share their day viewing settings?

I am not using the "Standard" and the "Cinema" modes, so I may use those to whack away at something I like. I do not have the Spears & Muncil disc. I am more of an audio person anyhow, so I'm not sure I'd be unhappy with copying another users settings as my own (as long as it is also a xxGT30)
Thanks!

#49 ·
Anyone have any new settings to add. I just finished my break-in slides last night (55GT30) and am trying different settings now. I like the look of the THX mode but prefer a little more pop in the color and brightness as I have tall windows and therefore some natural sunlight during the day. I am not looking for the cartoonish look of an LCD but just some more brightness and cleaner whites while remaining accurate. Thanks.

#50 ·
Ken just wanted to say that i love your settings for watching football. The colors on the uniforms really pop and the field looks excellent. These settings will work fine for the afternoon starts that most games get.

Only thing i have been going back and forth on is warm 1 and 2. Warm 2 seems to add just a very small amount of browning green tinge to the white uniforms.

#51 ·
So, for D-Nice's settings, I just put the jpg's on a flash drive and play them as a slideshow for 100 hours? 4 days straight? For real? What am I going to do when these slides are running?!?

Then after that I just use the settings on that page of the calibration forums?

What if I have been using the tv already (for about 5 days, 4 hours a day)?

And why are people doing this to break the tv in when D-Nice say that the slides are not meant for break-in?

Kinda new to this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.