post #811 of 1307 Old 04-06-2012, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLewis View Post

@ Sancas

Well these settings work for Orangebrothers in his bright room so you may want to talk/pm to him.

Or reset your custom mode/pro setting and try these settings..

Contrast - 84
Brightness - 45
Color - 49
Sharpness -25

Color Temp : Cool 1

Gama 2.2
Aspect HD Size 1

Everything else default especially the "AGC" in the pro setting this is where you can make your set brighter.

If your set is still not bright enough, higher the AGC feature in the pro setting until its bright enough for your liking...

Sancas,

This is good advice. Especially the AGC part. Now of course you will lose accurate reference type image quality when doing this, but when you have a lot of light around the set you're not gonna get reference anyway.

Very bright light washes the plasma picture out due to the nature of the displays (for example, notice how the plasma's screen becomes gray when turned off in a bright room).

So under these conditions all bets are off, and you need to really crank things up so you can actually SEE the picture.

So try Custom Mode with color temperature of "Normal" or higher, crank the contrast, the AGC, maybe even the gamma, etc., and if you still can't get a bright enough image, then just go with an LCD.

LCDs one MAJOR advantage over plasma is its ability to produce an extremely bright image.

Good luck

Edit: You may want to apply the 2.1 patch. Also, if you're running the image through an HDMI cable you might want to play with the HDMI settings: Auto, Photo, Graphics to see which looks best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1307 Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 AM

Liked: 13
I've had my 55GT30 for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I really like it, the picture is amazing and even in a room with windows the picture is still excellent and more then bright enough for me. One thing I am curious about is I have a June build date on mine and I know its suppose to exhibit the FBr but I haven't seen it yet, I've watched a few movies and haven't noticed any issues. Can't say I'm really going hunting for it, and my eyes are not the bet to begin with as it is.

My question is should I really try and find the issue and then have Panasonic fix it, or just leave well enough alone and if I notice it down the road then have it fixed?
post #813 of 1307 Old 04-07-2012, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw850ci99 View Post

I've had my 55GT30 for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I really like it, the picture is amazing and even in a room with windows the picture is still excellent and more then bright enough for me. One thing I am curious about is I have a June build date on mine and I know its suppose to exhibit the FBr but I haven't seen it yet, I've watched a few movies and haven't noticed any issues. Can't say I'm really going hunting for it, and my eyes are not the bet to begin with as it is.

My question is should I really try and find the issue and then have Panasonic fix it, or just leave well enough alone and if I notice it down the road then have it fixed?

Get it updated before your warranty is up.You don't want to get snake bit down the road.
post #814 of 1307 Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Get it updated before your warranty is up.You don't want to get snake bit down the road.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I've checked in the system's menu and mine shows the updated eeprom:

55GT30/July 2011 build: 62.46

Does this mean that mine doesn't require the fbr fix and was updated at the factory?
post #815 of 1307 Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

I've checked in the system's menu and mine shows the updated eeprom:

55GT30/July 2011 build: 62.46

Does this mean that mine doesn't require the fbr fix and was updated at the factory?

If yours has the latest eproom# according to the list,that means panasonic updated your set.Some july builds are known to have been updated via factory or panasonic had them updated at retailers warehouses.

You should be good don't worry about it and enjoy your set.
post #816 of 1307 Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If yours has the latest eproom# according to the list,that means panasonic updated your set.Some july builds are known to have been updated via factory or panasonic had them updated at retailers warehouses.

How do you check if your GT30 has the updated eproom? What is the latest eproom# ?

Mine is a July build also that I've had for about 3 months now. No FB issues so far but if it hasn't been updated I want to get it done before the warranty expires.
post #817 of 1307 Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:

~Thanks again Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb32 View Post

How do you check if your GT30 has the updated eproom? What is the latest eproom# ?

Mine is a July build also that I've had for about 3 months now. No FB issues so far but if it hasn't been updated I want to get it done before the warranty expires.

jlb32,
Check out this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3775

1. Turn TV On.
2. With TV on, hold down the volume down (-) button on the right side of the TV (not the controller).
3. While holding down the volume down (-) button, point the remote at the TV IR sensor and press the "info" button on the controller three times.
4. The service menu will pop up after a few seconds.

The default screen that pops up will show the PDP EEP value; don't push any other buttons. When you are done turn the TV off or unplug it.
(courtesy to tfoltz)

Follow the steps carefully to access the service menu to check PDP EEP.

Look for the same size version of your GT30 from list and see if your PDP EEP has been updated.

Hope this helps.
post #818 of 1307 Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragion View Post

~Thanks again Peter!

jlb32,
Check out this link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3775

1. Turn TV On.
2. With TV on, hold down the volume down (-) button on the right side of the TV (not the controller).
3. While holding down the volume down (-) button, point the remote at the TV IR sensor and press the "info" button on the controller three times.
4. The service menu will pop up after a few seconds.

The default screen that pops up will show the PDP EEP value; don't push any other buttons. When you are done turn the TV off or unplug it.
(courtesy to tfoltz)

Follow the steps carefully to access the service menu to check PDP EEP.

Look for the same size version of your GT30 from list and see if your PDP EEP has been updated.

Hope this helps.

Thank You Dragion!! I checked the PDP EEP value and it matches the updated eeprom # so I guess my July build was updated at the factory or warehouse. Now I don't have to worry about the FB issue!!
post #819 of 1307 Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 268
The recommended sharpness setting in Custom mode is +25. I’ve tried to adjust sharpness using a couple of calibration discs and my eyes have seen little difference regardless of where I set it. However, it was during The Masters yesterday that I was able to see a clear difference when I made the adjustment. There was a ‘watery’ look over the entire screen when distant shots were shown. By turning sharpness to zero I was able to eliminate that look. If it were possible - and maybe it is through the service menu – I think –2 would take it to near perfection according to my eyesight.
post #820 of 1307 Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 AM

Well then according to that list of eep values my June 2011 build 55gt30 has been updated, it must have been done either from the factory or while in amazons wharehouse. My value shows 62.46, I checked twice.
post #821 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 08:20 AM

Playing around with the motion smoother last night. Set it on strong and it turned the picture into a soap opera effect
post #822 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGEBROTHERS View Post

Playing around with the motion smoother last night. Set it on strong and it turned the picture into a soap opera effect

AFAIK, the GT30 does not do the soap opera effect. I've never been able to duplicate it. I would never watch a movie with it, but I think game shows and talk shows would be pretty cool.
post #823 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

AFAIK, the GT30 does not do the soap opera effect. I've never been able to duplicate it. I would never watch a movie with it, but I think game shows and talk shows would be pretty cool.

Not a deep soap opera effect like an LCD but it produces the effect nonetheless. Try watching the Karate Kid in strong smoother mode.
post #824 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 12:54 PM
C63

Quote:

Not a deep soap opera effect like an LCD but it produces the effect nonetheless. Try watching the Karate Kid in strong smoother mode.

I'm sure it depends on the source material and the person watching it, but when I first got the TV and was playing around with all the settings I had motion smoother in the weak or middle setting, and I was watching Hugo on bluray. My girlfriend came into the room and immediately said "what's wrong with the way everybody moves". I was blown away that she noticed this, as I thought it was actually fairly subtle compared to my previous Sony LCD. And she knows absolutely nothing about how this stuff works, it just "looked funny" to her. I turned it off, went back to the standard 1080P/24 setting and she said Oh, yeah, that looks a lot better. I was shocked.
post #825 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C63 View Post

I'm sure it depends on the source material and the person watching it, but when I first got the TV and was playing around with all the settings I had motion smoother in the weak or middle setting, and I was watching Hugo on bluray. My girlfriend came into the room and immediately said "what's wrong with the way everybody moves". I was blown away that she noticed this, as I thought it was actually fairly subtle compared to my previous Sony LCD. And she knows absolutely nothing about how this stuff works, it just "looked funny" to her. I turned it off, went back to the standard 1080P/24 setting and she said Oh, yeah, that looks a lot better. I was shocked.

Yeah it's kinda like that hard to see, you have to focus on it and look at stuff moving in the background but its there. I noticed it immediately because I had seen the Karate Kid a few nights ago and that was what happened to be on cable last night when I started messing with the smoother. I picked up on it right away. It actually looks good in some parts of the movie but not so much in others. It was not appealing to my eyes so I turned it off and it went back to normal. I did notice that with the contrast turned down darker image it's not as noticeable. Since my TV is blaring bright almost like an LED on vivid all the time with high sharpness, contrast and cool1 color it was much more noticeable
post #826 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

Yeah it's kinda like that hard to see, you have to focus on it and look at stuff moving in the background but its there. I noticed it immediately because I had seen the Karate Kid a few nights ago and that was what happened to be on cable last night when I started messing with the smoother. I picked up on it right away. It actually looks good in some parts of the movie but not so much in others. It was not appealing to my eyes so I turned it off and it went back to normal. I did notice that with the contrast turned down darker image it's not as noticeable. Since my TV is blaring bright almost like an LED on vivid all the time with high sharpness, contrast and cool1 color it was much more noticeable

OrangeBro - you are blazing a unique trail - for what it's worth - I ran your settings in my room - sitting about 9' from my 50" GT30 and found the image interesting but not comfortable over extended viewing. I think you can achieve similar results running your brightness & contrast settings & Warm 1 or 2 through the Custom and/or THX options with an image that creates less eye strain, no Soap Opera effect and a more balanced visual image - try it and let me know what you think.

post #827 of 1307 Old 04-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

OrangeBro - you are blazing a unique trail - for what it's worth - I ran your settings in my room - sitting about 9' from my 50" GT30 and found the image interesting but not comfortable over extended viewing. I think you can achieve similar results running your brightness & contrast settings & Warm 1 or 2 through the Custom and/or THX options with an image that creates less eye strain, no Soap Opera effect and a more balanced visual image - try it and let me know what you think.

What panel brightness are you using? I tried it on med and it looks good but
these new setting I'm trying look a bit better IMO its not blazing bright and it gives off an impressive HD picture.

Vivid
Contrast 95
Brightness 50
Color 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 43
Color temp normal
Video NR Med
Block off
Mosquito NR off
Motion Smoother Strong
Black level light
post #828 of 1307 Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe

these new setting I'm trying look a bit better IMO its not blazing bright and it gives off an impressive HD picture.

Vivid
Contrast 95
Brightness 50
Color 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 43
Color temp normal
Video NR Med
Block off
Mosquito NR off
Motion Smoother Strong
Black level light

I'm using the following settings for THX in a room with a west facing wall of windows:
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 56
Color: 48
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 30
Color Temperature: Warm 2
All other settings = default

post #829 of 1307 Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe

Vivid
Contrast 95
Brightness 50
Color 40
Tint 0
Sharpness 43
Color temp normal
Video NR Med
Block off
Mosquito NR off
Motion Smoother Strong
Black level light

I'm using the following settings for THX in a room with a west facing wall of windows:
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 56
Color: 48
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 30
Color Temperature: Warm 2
All other settings = default

Oh ok I see, you can't set panel brightness in THX. I tried almost the same settings in custom mode with panel brightness on medium and it looked good.
post #830 of 1307 Old 04-12-2012, 07:10 PM

ok... I'm struggling to find a good lifelike picture on this TV.

I used ken's settings from the first page, and tried the THX changes in the official gt30 thread... but my 60gt30 just seems like the reds are popping too much. I added a little sharpness and that kind of helped with the blurriness...

Note- I JUST hooked it up today and have it connected to ATT Uverse. My old 780p Phillips seemed more natural so far. I saw there is a "break in" period and some people have used slides? I go on vacation tomorrow and suppose I could do that... what slides do people use and how?

I had no clue that this TV would be so complicated. I'm almost wondering how I go about having it professionally calibrated...
post #831 of 1307 Old 04-12-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:

what is FBr?

god, this whole TV process has turned me into a tech idiot...

man, the excess red and bluriness is bugging me. I'm starting to think I should have gotten a simpler tv
post #832 of 1307 Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeking1978 View Post

ok... I'm struggling to find a good lifelike picture on this TV.

I used ken's settings from the first page, and tried the THX changes in the official gt30 thread... but my 60gt30 just seems like the reds are popping too much. I added a little sharpness and that kind of helped with the blurriness...

Note- I JUST hooked it up today and have it connected to ATT Uverse. My old 780p Phillips seemed more natural so far. I saw there is a "break in" period and some people have used slides? I go on vacation tomorrow and suppose I could do that... what slides do people use and how?

I had no clue that this TV would be so complicated. I'm almost wondering how I go about having it professionally calibrated...

search for posts from Dave_O in this thread for settings for the GT30. Also read up on the 2.1 luminance patch. That plus Dave_O's settings will improve the red and give you an excellent picture. However, standard definition material from your cable provider will always look blurry. The only solution there is to get HD or a provider besides ATT Uverse. How is the picture from your Blu Ray player? Is that blurry also? If not, it's Uverse that's the problem.
post #833 of 1307 Old 04-13-2012, 06:40 PM

So when you say standard def, are you referring to 1080i? We have 1080i on our cable... But I do realize that only the satellite providers have true 1080p.

I haven't hooked up the Blue Ray yet... I left on vacation today with the break I'm program running. I plan on having the dog sitter shut it off later.

Do you just let it run all day and night or for a few hours at a time? Will that help the issues I'm having as well? I will check into Dave's instructions and the lumensnce patch. (is the latter difficult?)
post #834 of 1307 Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^
I was refering to broadcast that are 480i, plus Uverse does compress their HD so it can look blurry on a large screen. Not all programming is HD (720 or 1080), so make sure you are watching an HD program. The 2.1 patch is easy but will not help your blurry image. When you get back, apply Dave_O's settings 1st and see if that helps.
post #835 of 1307 Old 04-15-2012, 07:07 PM

And I'd like to hook up my computer. But when I did, the visible computer area doesn't take up the entire tv screen. There's about 2 inches between the edge of the visible computer area and the edge of the tv screen. So I'm starting to burn the screen at the edges of the visible computer area. Not good....

Anyone else use a computer/htpc with theirs and have a similar problem?
post #836 of 1307 Old 04-16-2012, 01:36 PM

Anyone have an idea why the iphone remote app for viera cast was removed from apple. Those who has downloaded the app, is it still working fine? BTW I have an 65GT30 and was trying to download the app for remote control.
Thanks in advance.
post #837 of 1307 Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram48335 View Post

Anyone have an idea why the iphone remote app for viera cast was removed from apple. Those who has downloaded the app, is it still working fine? BTW I have an 65GT30 and was trying to download the app for remote control.
Thanks in advance.

Its still there,just type panasonic in the app store and its the second one on the list...
post #838 of 1307 Old 04-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Its still there,just type panasonic in the app store and its the second one on the list...

Thank you. for some reason it does not display the app on my sprint iphone but it appears on my colleague att iphone. Not sure what the diff is, on mine it only shows bluray player app and not the viera tv remote. Will try again.

Thanks
post #839 of 1307 Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 AM
ped

I have the same problem when accessing the store with my iPad, no viera remote app for displays is listed, only for BDP and some type of display simulator ???
post #840 of 1307 Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped View Post

I have the same problem when accessing the store with my iPad, no viera remote app for displays is listed, only for BDP and some type of display simulator ???

It's there, I have it running on both my iPhone and iPad. Make sure you don't have the show only iPad apps checked since it is an iPhone app.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page