The Official Panasonic GT30 Settings Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1307 Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Well - I do have a bright room and during the Sunday games there is a lot of ambient light in the room. I've also dropped a Darbee Darblet into the Video chain so I am doing a lot of experimenting with both the GT30 settings; Custom/THX/Vivid as well as with the Darbee settings. I'm still within my 30 day return window on the Darblet so I have some work to do before I make that decision. Thanks again for your calibration postings.
Anyone else with the GT30 utilizing a Darblet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1307 Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Using a Darblet on my GT30 and using Dave_O's settings. Very impressed with the detail provided by the Darblet.
post #1173 of 1307 Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Using a Darblet on my GT30 and using Dave_O's settings. Very impressed with the detail provided by the Darblet.

What Darbee settings are you using - I've been playing around with HD & Gaming at 45-55

post #1174 of 1307 Old 01-04-2013, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Well - I do have a bright room and during the Sunday games there is a lot of ambient light in the room.
In that circumstance, Vivid would be great for the NFL ST games.
Quote:

I've also dropped a Darbee Darblet into the Video chain so I am doing a lot of experimenting with both the GT30 settings; Custom/THX/Vivid as well as with the Darbee settings. I'm still within my 30 day return window on the Darblet so I have some work to do before I make that decision. Thanks again for your calibration postings.
I found that it's akin to using an excess setting of "sharpness"; the video becomes too edgy for my taste.

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6392

GT30 "THX" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6393
GT30 "Vivid" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6402

post #1175 of 1307 Old 01-04-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What Darbee settings are you using - I've been playing around with HD & Gaming at 45-55

HD only but like you between 45 and 55. Mostly 55.
post #1176 of 1307 Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D1v1deByZero View Post

Does that Sony not have an HDMI color space setting for RGB? If so, that is what I would use.

My player does have the option of setting it to RGB. Anyone else agree that I should set my color space on the blu ray player to RGB? What's the difference between RGB and 4:2:2 or 4:4:4?
post #1177 of 1307 Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Set it to auto, the GT30 will tell the player what color space to use then.
post #1178 of 1307 Old 01-12-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 14
I've played with several different settings posted here and no offense to anyone but the ones Dave_O did back around 12/4/12 to me just cannot be beat. The THX settings alone are still amazing. The only difference I did was change the temp to 'Warm 1" instead of the Warm 2 in both Custom and THX. It to me provides a happy medium between Normal & Warm 2. In Custom for Mid Panel Brightness, I also used a +5 in Black Extension. In his chart he has it at "0" but makes a note (+10 per D_Nice's Advice).

I am looking for some settings for say sports events in mid/medium lighting conditions with tweaks to the vivid/game mode
post #1179 of 1307 Old 01-12-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

I've played with several different settings posted here and no offense to anyone but the ones Dave_O did back around 12/4/12 to me just cannot be beat.
Yes, I do agree . . . and in fact, were the starting point for my settings.
Quote:

The only difference I did was change the temp to 'Warm 1" instead of the Warm 2 in both Custom and THX. It to me provides a happy medium between Normal & Warm 2. In Custom for Mid Panel Brightness, I also used a +5 in Black Extension. In his chart he has it at "0" but makes a note (+10 per D_Nice's Advice).

Yes, the chart shows the main differences between our settings. I still believe in the use of AGC and don't like the "amount" of color (49 vs 32) setting used. Note these are for GT30 with the V2.1 patch.

jcmusika likes this.

Regards . . . Jim

post #1180 of 1307 Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

I am looking for some settings for say sports events in mid/medium lighting conditions with tweaks to the vivid/game mode

For sports (NFL Playoffs)

Vivid - HDMI Content Graphics

Color Temp - Cool2

Contrast-80
Brightness-58
Color - 56 (with graphics on you can have the color all the way up without red push,with HDMI OFF you have to have color around mid 30's)
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 29
post #1181 of 1307 Old 01-12-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Must need sunglasses for those settings

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #1182 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM

When you do service menu adjustments does it effect the custom picture settings? Reason I ask is because I had a pro calibration done by value electronics and I'm not happy with their custom settings for day viewing there is way too much red in skin tones so if I use different custom settings from someone else on here would it be fine since I'm assuming they did sm adjustments, their thx calibration for night is fine.
post #1183 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink5217 View Post

When you do service menu adjustments does it effect the custom picture settings? Reason I ask is because I had a pro calibration done by value electronics and I'm not happy with their custom settings for day viewing there is way too much red in skin tones so if I use different custom settings from someone else on here would it be fine since I'm assuming they did sm adjustments,

When SM adjustments are made, they COULD affect the CUSTOM mode if the SM changes are made to settings that are in the 'custom' mode and the proper "color".

If you understand that statement, then you can make changes without an "oops"! If you don't, (sorry, I suspect you don't!), then you should stay away from making any changes.

If you do decide to make changes, be sure to write down the original values so you can go back to them if needed!!

In my signature, under the "VIVID" mode settings, please read the "*** How to access the xxGT30 Service Mode***" procedure. This procedure shows how to make changes for JUST the VIVID mode specifically to the "WARM" color settings . . .ONLY! Again if you understand this, have at it. smile.gif

One last point; my VIVID settings do make SM changes but my CUSTOM settings do not.

Regards . . . Jim

post #1184 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge View Post

When SM adjustments are made, they COULD affect the CUSTOM mode if the SM changes are made to settings that are in the 'custom' mode and the proper "color".

If you understand that statement, then you can make changes without an "oops"! If you don't, (sorry, I suspect you don't!), then you should stay away from making any changes.

If you do decide to make changes, be sure to write down the original values so you can go back to them if needed!!

In my signature, under the "VIVID" mode settings, please read the "*** How to access the xxGT30 Service Mode***" procedure. This procedure shows how to make changes for JUST the VIVID mode specifically to the "WARM" color settings . . .ONLY! Again if you understand this, have at it. smile.gif

One last point; my VIVID settings do make SM changes but my CUSTOM settings do not.
Did captaink5217 have the 2.1 patch applied? The way I understood it that would help with the red skin tones in Custom mode
post #1185 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Yeah, value electronics does all the updates prior to calibration, I just checked I'm up to 2.2
post #1186 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah, value electronics does all the updates prior to calibration, I just checked I'm up to 2.2

This info on these forums will get you into trouble . . . I'll try to help!

If you (captaink) did not do the Panasonice V2.1 update MANUALLY (ie did it yourself!), then your TV does NOT have the V2.1 patch installed. Sounds confusing but it's not.
Update: Didn't know your TV was pro-calibrated and the V2.1 patch was installed by the calibrator.

The TV will update itself if you have it connected via WiFi but it does using Panasonic's default (as delivered) firmware. You can update the TV yourself or some calibrators will do if they recommend that your TV would be better calibrated with the V2.1 patch installed. You can do-it-yourself by downloading the patch and placing it on an SD thumb-drive to install to the TV.

Hope that's clear. . . .

Regards . . . Jim

post #1187 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge View Post

This info on these forums will get you into trouble . . . I'll try to help!

If you (captaink) did not do the Panasonice V2.1 update MANUALLY (ie did it yourself!), then your TV does NOT have the V2.1 patch installed. Sounds confusing but it's not.

The "value electronics" does update the TV's firmware configuration but it does using Panasonic's default (as delivered) firmware. Again the ONLY way you can get the Panny V2.1 patch is to do it yourself via SD thumb-drive by downloading the patch and installing it.

Hope that's clear. . . .
Do I have this correct...the 2.1 patch is the one from Panasonic that brightens things up (luminence) and helps the red skin tones in Custom, and installs with a SD card or thumbdrive and is irreverseable, whereas the 2.2 Update is a regular type of firmware update you install over WiFi? I take it there was no update for the 2.1 patch?

I downloaded the v2.1 Patch a while back and chickened out about installing it (I don't like the word "irreverseable"), but am not totally satisfied with the PQ over Comcast, even the HD channels could look better, cleaner. I calibrated it with Dave_Os settings, tried a couple other suggested ones, and tried it myself using the WOW disc, but couldn't seem to make the set look the way I thought it should look. I think I may be ready to try the patch (I think).
post #1188 of 1307 Old 01-17-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonin View Post

Do I have this correct...the 2.1 patch is the one from Panasonic that brightens things up (luminence) and helps the red skin tones in Custom, and installs with a SD card or thumbdrive and is irreverseable, whereas the 2.2 Update is a regular type of firmware update you install over WiFi? I take it there was no update for the 2.1 patch?
You got it all correctly! Cheers!
I'm told that AFTER you install the V2.1 patch, you can let the system update and install a V2.2 update (nothing to do with chroma). Personally, I DID NOT let the TV update to V2.2 after I installed the V2.1 patch. As I understand, that V2.2 update is for the 'frills'.
Quote:

I downloaded the v2.1 Patch a while back and chickened out about installing it (I don't like the word "irreverseable"), but am not totally satisfied with the PQ over Comcast, even the HD channels could look better, cleaner. I calibrated it with Dave_Os settings, tried a couple other suggested ones, and tried it myself using the WOW disc, but couldn't seem to me the set look the way I thought it should look. I think I may be ready to try the patch (I think).
I originally felt the same way but my CMS was so bad, that I had to try something. The picture quality today, is great and I'm totally happy with the installed the V2.1 patch.

Regards . . . Jim

post #1189 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 05:59 AM

I'm told that AFTER you install the V2.1 patch, you can let the system update and install a V2.2 update (nothing to do with chroma). Personally, I DID NOT let the TV update to V2.2 after I installed the V2.1 patch. As I understand, that V2.2 update is for the 'frills'.
I'll have to look, but I think I already installed the 2.2 Update, so I'll re update after the patch.
I originally felt the same way but my CMS was so bad, that I had to try something. The picture quality today, is great and I'm totally happy with the installed the V2.1 patch.[/quote]
Sorry for such a noob question, but what's CMS?
post #1190 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 AM

My understanding is that value electronics does have the 2.1 patch on a flash device so they could calibrate correctly. The update to 2.2 was done by me after I had the set up and going.
post #1191 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 07:11 AM

When you get a new A-Board installed from a Panasonic for FBR issues, does this new board have this update already installed?

Or do I need to do this again, like I did to my old board?
post #1192 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Since the 2.1 patch was intended for use by professional calibrators I don't think it will already be installed on your new board. I 'd do it again.
post #1193 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 AM

I went with Jforge settings but with warm 1 instead of normal temp I thing the pro calibration I paid for fixed the warm temp setting so that might be why normal on mine looks a little too blue but warm 1 looks right for custom, I still use the thx pro calibration for night that value electronics did plus I saved my settings they did on custom for day just in case I want to put them back.
post #1194 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Value electronics uses pro calibrators dnice, Ed Johnson and such and I believe they apply the 2.1 patch for them. Actually they did just tell me that they did put 2.1 patch on my set.
post #1195 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I'll have to look, but I think I already installed the 2.2 Update, so I'll re update after the patch.

After you do the V2.1 patch, the TV will update itself if you have it connected via WiFi.
Quote:

Sorry for such a noob question, but what's CMS?

CMS stands for Color Management System.

Regards . . . Jim

post #1196 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I went with Jforge settings but with warm 1 instead of normal temp I thing the pro calibration I paid for fixed the warm temp setting so that might be why normal on mine looks a little too blue but warm 1 looks right for custom.
If you have read some of my earlier posts, my 55GT30 had a red-green (yellow) tint so using "normal" temp setting neutralized it . . otherwise I would have used "warm1".
Quote:

. . . .plus I saved my settings they did on custom for day just in case I want to put them back.
Very smart thing to do . . . . smile.gif

Regards . . . Jim

post #1197 of 1307 Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 14
The whole process of the 2.1 Patch with screen shots and instructions can be found here....

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/pro/down_pro.html
post #1198 of 1307 Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM

I'm definitely familiar with sm adjustments, I've done them on my older panasonic plasma, when you say color it's color temp, when you make sm adjustments it only effects changes that color temp ie warm sm adjustments only effect warm and not normal or cool. So I'm very comfortable in panasonic service menus
post #1199 of 1307 Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

The whole process of the 2.1 Patch with screen shots and instructions can be found here....

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/pro/down_pro.html
About using the patch...can I use a flash drive or does a SD card work better, and when I format it, or an SD card, do I choose NTFS or FAT32?
post #1200 of 1307 Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM

I used a 2GB SD card formatted to FAT32. Worked fine.

Regards . . . Jim

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page