Forum Jump: 

post #1231 of 1311 Old 03-02-2013, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

I have seen several different versions of his settings. Could someone please direct me to his "final" settings? Thanks!
My settings are in my signature . . . and I try to keep them updated. Haven't made a change since my TV has finally stabilized.

Being critical my best settings are THX for a darkened room. Even I like them but I still use the Custom settings b/c they have a little more pop in the video.

Regards . . . Jim

------------------------------------------------------

GT30 "Custom" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6392

GT30 "THX" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6393
GT30 "Vivid" Settings: http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6402

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1311 Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

If you find his posts I believe they are linked in his signature. I access from an iPad and don't see signatures.
I'm sorry, I meant Dave_O's settings. I am trying to decide between his and Jforge's as my final and never adjust again settings. Thanks everyone.
post #1233 of 1311 Old 03-02-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge View Post

My settings are in my signature . . . and I try to keep them updated. Haven't made a change since my TV has finally stabilized.

Being critical my best settings are THX for a darkened room. Even I like them but I still use the Custom settings b/c they have a little more pop in the video.

Thanks JForge, I have tried your custom settings before and will try these as well. Thanks!
post #1234 of 1311 Old 03-02-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

I'm sorry, I meant Dave_O's settings. I am trying to decide between his and Jforge's as my final and never adjust again settings. Thanks everyone.

Check out this post for a comparison of Dave_O's and my settings . . . in chart form here

Regards . . . Jim

post #1235 of 1311 Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Until I get to a PC I won't be able to find Dave_O's post with the settings, search using the iPad interface sucks. However, you may want to take this into consideration. Those settings by Dave_O are now two years old and jForge's are more recent and would probably be better with our well aged panels. If I had the guts to use the service menu I would like to try his, plus he passed the color test with (no pun intended) flying colors.
post #1236 of 1311 Old 03-02-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks Moxie and JForge, I will use the chart as my final comparison and settle on the settings.
post #1237 of 1311 Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForge View Post

so do you use your custom settings on a regular basis? in your signature you seem thoroughly excited about your vivid settings, do you believe the custom settings are better still? I do have a normally lit room, no direct window, but moderate sunlight. I currently use Dnice's custom settings, they are very similar to yours but use 47 color, 0 agc, +1 tint and pro settings -3,0,0,+1,0,0,-1. a year ago these settings seemed to be prefered by the majority over daveo's settings, what's your opinion on this set up?
post #1238 of 1311 Old 05-07-2013, 12:57 AM

Without calibrating the TV, the settings that I have or Dave_O has or what you have are modified are by definition, the best for YOUR viewing. IOW, the settings are very TV dependent and from what I seen, they tend to be different b/c each TV is different. As you read, my TV seems to push green, others push blue, some push red.

My settings or those of others, will get you into the ballpark where you can then adjust them for peculiarities of your TV. There are no right or wrong settings.

I happened to 'play' with my three main settings (Custom, THX and Vivid) and was not pleased with my Vivid settings; the picture was "ugly"!!! I mainly use the Custom, my main preference and THX, my second preference.

Regards . . . Jim

post #1239 of 1311 Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM

ok, I get what you're saying. ya I tried a few settings and custom definitely has the best picture on my tv, that's why I didn't want to do the s/m adjustments unless you strongly believed it was better. my tv pushes slightly more red, that being said I like j forge's settings because it uses agc which I love but could never get the saturation quite right due to the red push. jforge's settings and some minor tint and pro setting adjustments later, best picture I've had to date!
post #1240 of 1311 Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkong View Post

ok, I get what you're saying. I like j forge's settings because it uses agc which I love but could never get the saturation quite right due to the red push. jforge's settings and some minor tint and pro setting adjustments later, best picture I've had to date!
Tnx alot . . glad you like the Custom settings, modified for your TV. That's the way it s/b done.

Yes, I too like "AGC" . . . b/c I think that it allows you to "see" background black detail simultaneously with a high contrast foreground. W/o AGC, you seem to loose some of the background detail.

Regards . . . Jim

post #1241 of 1311 Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM

I agree especially in movies where there can be alot of dramatic lighting changes from one scene to another. Thanks again, you da man!
post #1242 of 1311 Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Hi All, I have the 65" GT30 model paired up with a PS3. I am only able to get 1080i to the set and not 1080p. Would that be something to try a different HDMI Cable or is this just normal for the set? I have budget HDMI cables that I've had for quite some time.
post #1243 of 1311 Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 11
freemeat, are you using a REALLLLLY OLD HDMI cable?

Order something for $20 or so on Newegg.com then.

Triple Shielding etc, 99% copper,e tc. Just don't buy Monster for the sake of penalizing them for all their years of BS.
freemeat likes this.
post #1244 of 1311 Old 06-07-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupaniii View Post

freemeat, are you using a REALLLLLY OLD HDMI cable?

Order something for $20 or so on Newegg.com then.

Triple Shielding etc, 99% copper,e tc. Just don't buy Monster for the sake of penalizing them for all their years of BS.

Maybe a 3 years or so. So the hdmi could be limited in not passing 1080p and only enough for 1080i? Could be my old ps3 as well but I think it's fine . Guess ill give a new cable a shot, non monster wink.gif
post #1245 of 1311 Old 06-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

Maybe a 3 years or so. So the hdmi could be limited in not passing 1080p and only enough for 1080i? Could be my old ps3 as well but I think it's fine . Guess ill give a new cable a shot, non monster wink.gif

I have an Triple Shileded GOOD cables with hdmi 1.4 capability. If your HDMI cable is like very LONG or on an extention, that's a problem too.

How Long?
What Brand if Any?
Thin PVC only cover or thick with a nylon sheath cover?

Make sure your PS3 isn't set to 1080i, lol.

I've only ever seen 1080i on COMPONENT.
I've seen 1080i out of a cable box, thats it.

Very odd.
post #1246 of 1311 Old 06-07-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupaniii View Post

I have an Triple Shileded GOOD cables with hdmi 1.4 capability. If your HDMI cable is like very LONG or on an extention, that's a problem too.

How Long?
What Brand if Any?
Thin PVC only cover or thick with a nylon sheath cover?

Make sure your PS3 isn't set to 1080i, lol.

I've only ever seen 1080i on COMPONENT.
I've seen 1080i out of a cable box, thats it.

Very odd.

Only a 6' cable. Some generic monoprice cable I think. PS3 is easy choose which output, you can manually select all the output resolutions and works fine with all aside 1080p.

Yeah it is odd. I think I'll order a cable and see if it works, otherwise 1080i it is. It still looks great so I'm not that concerned.
post #1247 of 1311 Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Freemeat, are you running 1080p yet fella?
post #1248 of 1311 Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Only a 6' cable. Some generic monoprice cable I think. PS3 is easy choose which output, you can manually select all the output resolutions and works fine with all aside 1080p.

Yeah it is odd. I think I'll order a cable and see if it works, otherwise 1080i it is. It still looks great so I'm not that concerned.

So, is there a Receiver in the middle here? Or a multiswitch?
post #1249 of 1311 Old 06-20-2013, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DTS View Post

The whole process of the 2.1 Patch with screen shots and instructions can be found here....

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/download/pro/down_pro.html

Thanks
post #1250 of 1311 Old 06-20-2013, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Hi All, I have the 65" GT30 model paired up with a PS3. I am only able to get 1080i to the set and not 1080p. Would that be something to try a different HDMI Cable or is this just normal for the set? I have budget HDMI cables that I've had for quite some time.
You may want to switch cables or if you have a blue ray player, switch your game console with a blue ray player and see switches to 1080p
post #1251 of 1311 Old 07-02-2013, 11:27 AM

I just switched from Charter cable to Uverse. I have used both JForge and DaveOs settings with the Charter feed with my GT30 and they looked great. Now with Uverse everything looks “soft”, not sharp at all. Is there anything I can do setting-wise- or is this just a case of Uverse having bad picture quality, as other forums suggest?
post #1252 of 1311 Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seibelcj View Post

I just switched from Charter cable to Uverse. Now everything looks “soft”, not sharp at all. is this just a case of Uverse having bad picture quality, as other forums suggest?

My next door neighbor has Uverse . . for TV and Internet. His Internet d/l speed is 20 Mbps . . . smoking IMO.

But the TV picture is "fuzzy" . . . or "soft", call it what you want but, bottom line, it's not very clear. He's never asked me to 'tweak-it' ... but if he does and I find something that makes it better, I'll post it here. smile.gif

Regards . . . Jim

post #1253 of 1311 Old 07-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Thanks. maybe next time you are there you can say a guy on the forum mentioned picture not sharp.and wanted help ..maybe he'll take the hint!
post #1254 of 1311 Old 07-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Need some setting help if possible. It seems the problem I am having with Uverse and my Panasonic GT30 is a common one with all Uverse customers: if you connect the Uverse STB to your set with HDMI is crushes the Black to the point that many programs are unwatchable (look like they were shot in a coal mine!). One solution offered is to switch connections to component and the problem goes away-along with the loss of definition of an HDMI connection.

One person in another forum (see link below) has come up with a solution using the “Game” mode and his settings. it makes things much better brightness-wise for darker shows but makes lighter shows too bright.

So wondering if anyone out there has Uverse and has found settings with the HDMI connection that even come close to what I got from cable with DaveO’s and JForge’s settings in custom. If not I will just go to component (and wait a year till my contract is up and go to satellite or cable)

http://forums.att.com/t5/Receivers-Battery-Backup/A-Solution-to-the-HDMI-Crushed-Black-Problem/td-p/2196541
post #1255 of 1311 Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Liked: 14
I haven't checked back in awhile because...well there's been no issues and the picture on the 55" GT30 still is a stunner.

We have Uverse and so far it been nothing but solid. However we have everything running thru the Yamaha AVR-671 with just one HDMI to the TV. Even the old XBOX 360 is connected to a Component/HDMI converter and no issues. I didn't have to make any special adjusments or anything but after the set got about 65-75hrs I applied Dave_O's settings and haven't looked back. I've switched between THX and Custom once in awhile or Sports for some games but I haven't done anything to deal with so-called "crush blacks". And FWIW...I'm using Monoprice HDMI cables and they don't cost over $8.00. Did you apply the "patch"...I put the link above.That makes a big difference.
post #1256 of 1311 Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM

Good to hear you don’t have any problems with Uverse and HDMI connection but it is a very real problem as one can see on Uverse forums. My understanding is that basically there are two different "standards" for sending digital video over HDMI, and while most AV equipment uses a "limited" range where black is 16 and white is 235, computers and U-verse assumes "full" range, where black is 0 and white is 255. This creates the “black crush” issue

However PeterLewis of this forum gave me a great and simple fix for the “black crush” issue-perhaps the Uverse tech who set you up did it as part of the install, or perhaps it is because of your configuration as described above.

My Uverse picture still looks soft under DaveO’s settings and I am now using settings with Game mode and sharpness pushed to 98 . I now have very acceptable PQ, however I still believe Uverse PQ does not match cable or satellite. Just IMO
post #1257 of 1311 Old 08-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 14
Sorry to hear your problems with Uverse. About 4yr ago we switched to Uverse when it became available so (1)...to get everything in a package....Net, Phone and TV. And (2) to get a faster internet due to distance limitations from Bellsouth DSL. We had DISH for the longest and had no issues what-so-ever. In fact if it were not the internet speed issue we would've probably stuck with them. Had a excellent picture (2 Sony LCD TV's" and only a few minor issue over a 12+ year releationship.

The day we got Uverse we were excited. Already had a "Home-Run connection I did myself and had CAT5E cable ran to the Rec Room. I helped the Tech run CAT5 to the main TV since I knew where to step in the attic. The moment the TV came on I was like...Wow, why so dark? And that's where the Tch filled me in that he heard that a lot especially from SAT owners. I ended up hitting the ATT and HT forums and found solutions which I applied to the Sony TV's and it was night & day improvement over the PQ from DISH. We actually saw "Blacks"...not what I call a Deep Black/Grey like we saw with DISH. A better overall contrast of Whites & Blacks.

When the 52" Sony 5100Z LCD broke we got the Plasma and it only improved on already a good picture. Again a bit deeper black level but also a sharper image with excellent color that made the LCD (even though a highly rated one at that) seemed flawed. I didn't do the "100 Hr break-in but followed common sense, used various programing, lots of animation along with the Media Player on the Xbox 360 to slowly break in the set. I've used Dave_O's settings from the get-go with a few minor tweaks. Even switching between THX and Dave's Settings. both pictures have been stellar. As of now this is what I have that has some relation to your issue...

Color - Warm 1
Black Extension - +5
Gamma - 2.0
Panel Brightness - Mid
AGC - +1...............Update 08/04..I bumped this back to "0"...some movies like Prometheus and The Fog which has haze, mist would produce more artifacts in shadows. The "0 to +1 is a big change. I'll play with it on BR movies and see.
HDMI - Auto
Contrast - 80
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 40

Other than that both the other Sony LCD and Panny Plasma have remarkable pictures though if you look closely you can see some softhness but video compression is happening on all providers so hat can you do?What I see on TT is not that far off from Blu-Ray...excpt BR is far sharper, more colorful and better overall. But I don't have to make major adjustments to anything concerning "Blacks".

And FWIW...I ordered the Disney WOW Calibration Disc off Amazon. I'm curious as to what findings i might find with our current setup and plus I want to use the "Anti Burn In" swipe since the Panny one is on a timer. And since Plasma panels age, what settings I've used for awhile might actually need upgraded so for $16.00, it's worth it.
post #1258 of 1311 Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 PM

I have to admit that after some initial doubt about Uverse PQ I am liking it more and more (again the PeterLewis fix solved the black crush issue for me).

My adjusted “game’ mode settings still look the best on my GT30 (coming up on 2 years in service) but I will try your settings in custom mode (can I assume that any settings you didn’t mention-like color or tint settings or some of the advanced settings-are same as DaveO’s?) and let you know what I find. Thanks for your feedback.
post #1259 of 1311 Old 08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
seiblc,

I use these settings somtimes for baseball games..

Vivid

color temp - cool 1

color mhmt - on

Cats OFF

Samsung 60F8500
Panasonic 55GT30
Panasonic BDT310
PS3 (PS4 coming soon)
Sony STR-DG1000 AVR
Mirage Omnisat V2 7.1 set up with Energy S10 Sub
post #1260 of 1311 Old 08-16-2013, 09:58 AM

To report back and finish my discussion of GT30 settings with AT&T Uverse (and hopefully be of help to anyone who has the same problems I had) I found a simple but totally effective solution.

As I detailed, the black crush problem with Uverse is that there are two different "standards" for sending digital video over HDMI, and while most AV equipment uses a "limited" range where black is 16 and white is 235, computers and U-verse assumes "full" range, where black is 0 and white is 255. This creates the “black crush” issue

What I did not realize till recently is that the GT30 has a setting under HDMI settings called “non standard” that matches the range of the U-verse signal. By switching to this setting along with a combination of DaveO’s and JForge’s settings in custom, I now get the same great picture I used to get with cable.

Ok done with the subject but hopefully a help to anyone who switches over to Uverse.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread