The Official Panasonic GT30 Settings Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1311 Old 11-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have bought a brand new TX-P42GT30 and was looking for some good day/night picture settings.
I see here some weird modes/numbers.

1. I don't have the setting "custom"
2. brightness only goes up to "30"

and many others.

Is there something wrong with my display/firmware?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1311 Old 11-12-2011, 01:41 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carls1970 View Post

What about black extension just above gamma ajustment in the pro settings ?

I let it at +5 with your setup.

Left mine set to 0.

ken
post #123 of 1311 Old 11-13-2011, 09:50 PM

Just got my 55" installed, I was going to do a breakin, but can't read 100 pages of the stickied thread to find the relevant data. I may as yet do dNices settings if I can figure out how to do them properly but I've already used my TV, so it may just be pointless. I'm somewhat regretting not going with the Samsung because there is so much more calibration you can do without going into the service menu on the Samsungs. However I otherwise like this TV and we don't really like the silver Bezel of the samsungs. I don't understand why wireless has wires on the panasonic, seems incredibly moronic, I had to laugh at that when I realized the dumbass way the wireless is handled. Also insane and horrible is the permanently attached power cable. I have to unmount shelving from the wall to get the power cable behind them because the gap isn't big enough for that big end of the power cord. But those are pretty minor grievances.

I first tried Ken's settings, then tried DaveO's (panel brightness to mid) settings, both had one enormous problem, every caucasian person looked like they had insane spray on tans. They looked more like Dr. Seuss characters than like people. However, both of the settings had nice pop, clarity and depth to them. The THX settings have nearly perfect fleshtones but loses a lot of the clarity, it is incredibly dull looking, the THX improves by increasing Contrast to 75 but it's still a little disappointing, almost like it has a matte finish, or a dull film over the TV. The cinema mode is even more egregious in this regard, out of the box.

Guess I'll have to bust out the calibration discs and dial in my own settings. Still, I'm wondering if the GT can get as good color as my 3 year old 32 inch Samsung LCD. I guess I'll give it a couple weeks and if I can't get the color right on this TV will go for the Sammy.

ahh! right when I hit post, I looked up at the TV and saw my first Fluctuating brightness. Holy **** that is distracting... just checked, a build date of July 2011. I wonder if Panasonic comes and replaces the boards if Amazon will still take the TV back...
post #124 of 1311 Old 11-14-2011, 06:45 AM

Cut off the C.A.T.S feature under the picture setting menu and you won't have fluctuating brightness anymore.
post #125 of 1311 Old 11-14-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith203 View Post

Cut off the C.A.T.S feature under the picture setting menu and you won't have fluctuating brightness anymore.

Totally untrue. C.A.T.S. and the FBr defect are two entirely different things.
post #126 of 1311 Old 11-14-2011, 03:40 PM

CATS was off anyway, though I may have been on THX rather than custom when I saw the FB.
post #127 of 1311 Old 11-14-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielocke View Post

I first tried Ken's settings, then tried DaveO's (panel brightness to mid) settings, both had one enormous problem, every caucasian person looked like they had insane spray on tans. They looked more like Dr. Seuss characters than like people. However, both of the settings had nice pop, clarity and depth to them. The THX settings have nearly perfect fleshtones but loses a lot of the clarity, it is incredibly dull looking, the THX improves by increasing Contrast to 75 but it's still a little disappointing, almost like it has a matte finish, or a dull film over the TV. The cinema mode is even more egregious in this regard, out of the box.

Guess I'll have to bust out the calibration discs and dial in my own settings. Still, I'm wondering if the GT can get as good color as my 3 year old 32 inch Samsung LCD. I guess I'll give it a couple weeks and if I can't get the color right on this TV will go for the Sammy.

I agree with you. tthe 2011 models have a known color decoding/luminance issue. supposedly, Pano is working on a firmware update. MID cannot be set without poor fleshtones. THX cannot be set correctly due to GAMMA being locked at 1.9.

If I had it to do over.............I would wait, or get a Samsung.........

Ken
post #128 of 1311 Old 11-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

I am not able to get an accurate Gamma with Panel Brightness set to Mid. That being said, here are the best settings I got for the Mid Panel Brightness setting. The test pattern gives 45 FL, compared to low 20's with the Low Panel Brightness. For some, the benefits of the brighter picture may offset the less accurate Gamma.

Date 10/12/11
Picture Mode Custom
Temperature Warm2
Panel Brightness Mid
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 50
Color 46
Tint 0
Gamma 2.2
Black extension 0
Color management Off
Video NR Off
Contour emphasis Off
CATS Off
AGC 0
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Motion smoother Off
Black Level Light

Grayscale
High R 0
High G -2
High B 2
Low R 6
Low G 3
Low B 0

This are the best settings I have seen so far, although stilll not resolving the "sun burnt" skin tones. Did you do any SM adjustments?

Thks
Ken
post #129 of 1311 Old 11-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

This are the best settings I have seen so far, although stilll not resolving the "sun burnt" skin tones. Did you do any SM adjustments?

Thks
Ken

No SM adjustments, so never did the D-Nice method.
post #130 of 1311 Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM

I have received 60" GT last Friday from Amazon and have the same problem as movielocke -- Custom settings outlined in this thread look great except for "tan" skin tones, and THX mode has perfect skin tones but rather dull colors. I am also running break-in slides at night while watching a bit during the day, but there does not seem to be any noticeable difference in picture so far.

Currently prefer THX mode with both Contrast and Brightness set around 80, which seems to help make the colors stand out a bit more than the default settings.

If anyone finds a resolution to this issue or a suggestion on firmware update I would really appreciate.
post #131 of 1311 Old 11-18-2011, 02:36 PM

I figured I would post this since I see some people wanted to know how to do this. You can do a factory reset which will put your tv back to the way it was when you unboxed it. This will reset everything, including the service menu options. I got this info from a support person at panasonic and it seemed to work when I did.

Here is how you do it:

Press and hold down "Vol -" on the Television itself, and MENU on the remote for 5 seconds, the Self Check screen should appear. At this point press and hold in the power button on the front of the TV until the TV powers down.
post #132 of 1311 Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM

I just purchased a 55" GT30 3 weeks ago. I've noticed the "fluctuating brightness" issue when watching hockey and basketball. Sometimes the screen will attempt to compensate for darker crowd shots or camera angles by popping into a brighter mode, but it's very inexact.

I emailed Panasonic about the issue and suggested the most recent software upgrade (which I installed yesterday). I'm still seeing the problem on the "standard" setting.

However, when I went into "custom" mode I saw this "AGC" setting that references automatically adjusting brightness for dark scenes. I set this to "0" (it defaults to +7) and since then this basketball game I'm watching that was popping like crazy is no longer popping in custom mode (it still pops when I flip back to "standard").

Am I going nuts or does this make sense? And if so, why doesn't Panasonic expose the AGC as a non-custom setting? Seems like something that most sports watchers would want access too at all times.
post #133 of 1311 Old 11-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Im having a hard time adjusting contrast level on my 60gt30 using the DVE disk and Disney Wow. Following the instruction and can tell when contrast is too low but cannot see when it is set too high. Any tips? Im good with brightness,color,hue set up. Im setting it up on THX mode and total darkness in my room. Help!
post #134 of 1311 Old 11-18-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 View Post

Im having a hard time adjusting contrast level on my 60gt30 using the DVE disk and Disney Wow. Following the instruction and can tell when contrast is too low but cannot see when it is set too high. Any tips? Im good with brightness,color,hue set up. Im setting it up on THX mode and total darkness in my room. Help!

I've observed that the Gamma is most accurate with contrast at default of 60. From 60 to about 75, light output increases and Gamma is worse. Above 75, light output is pretty flat, so not useful.
post #135 of 1311 Old 11-20-2011, 08:07 AM

How is the gamma at the default THX settings? Is it still reading low around 1.9?

I've heard conflicting things -

some have said using smaller windows gets a consistent, good gamma at 2.2, but I don't know if the reported "good" gamma around 2.2 has been out-of-the-box with THX or only after calibration within the service menu.
post #136 of 1311 Old 11-20-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

How is the gamma at the default THX settings? Is it still reading low around 1.9?

I've heard conflicting things -

some have said using smaller windows gets a consistent, good gamma at 2.2, but I don't know if the reported "good" gamma around 2.2 has been out-of-the-box with THX or only after calibration within the service menu.

My experience was good 2.2 out of the box, no SM adjustments, measured with the small APL windows on the AVSHD 709 pattern disk.
post #137 of 1311 Old 11-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, anyone got some good settings for daytime they would like to share?
post #138 of 1311 Old 11-20-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:

My experience was good 2.2 out of the box, no SM adjustments, measured with the small APL windows on the AVSHD 709 pattern disk.

Do you notice any "softness" to THX mode either at 1080i or 1080p Blu-Ray? ChadB mentioned in his review on another forum that THX looks softer and perhaps slightly grainy compared to other modes.

Or any "softness" relative to other Samsung plasmas (which are usually commended for their sharp/crisp image) with enhancements off.
post #139 of 1311 Old 11-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Do you notice any "softness" to THX mode either at 1080i or 1080p Blu-Ray? ChadB mentioned in his review on another forum that THX looks softer and perhaps slightly grainy compared to other modes.

Or any "softness" relative to other Samsung plasmas (which are usually commended for their sharp/crisp image) with enhancements off.

Never looked at the 2 brands side by side. Chad B has a review thread of the GT30 in the forum whose name shall not be mentioned, and responds to questions there. I honestly haven't had the experience with lots of models to give an opinion.
post #140 of 1311 Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM

hey Ken do you have an answer for sparxxxy.
Because here's another owner of a 46gt30 who has that problem
Seems that there are less options to chose from, like
No mosquito no greyscale no gamma no prof1 and 2 etc,etc

Called panasonic today they thought it haf to do with BR
Player not connected? I thought firmware, i'm om 1313.10000
I have 1 week to refund this set, and i just don't know
Iff i can't tweak it up to my likings.... Sammy....
I like gaming on ps3,is't awsome no complaints there.
Only SD PC is not as good as i hooped for.

Please help me out man

Thanks
post #141 of 1311 Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM
ped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparxxxy View Post

Hi,

I have bought a brand new TX-P42GT30 and was looking for some good day/night picture settings.
I see here some weird modes/numbers.

1. I don't have the setting "custom"
2. brightness only goes up to "30"

and many others.

Is there something wrong with my display/firmware?

Thanks!

Quote:

Sounds to me like you guys have EU versions, which have different firmware and setting options.
post #142 of 1311 Old 11-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchBuzz View Post

Called panasonic today they thought it haf to do with BR
Player not connected? I thought firmware, i'm om 1313.10000
I have 1 week to refund this set, and i just don't know
Iff i can't tweak it up to my likings.... Sammy....
I like gaming on ps3,is't awsome no complaints there.
Only SD PC is not as good as i hooped for.

Please help me out man

Thanks

As PED said, it appears neither of you have a US model. If you do not have CUSTOM setting, you have different firmware than US models. Sorry!

Ken
post #143 of 1311 Old 11-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Today i phoned panasonic again.
Problem solved guys, got the extra settings to apear on
screen. You were right i can't use your settings because we have
a european model and different firmware. Even with these
new settings. So it's back 2 dutch forms.

For sparxxxxy : how 2get the extra settings
Open menu, setup, advance(isfccc)
Iff you put this ON you get prof1 and prof2 to use
as costum, gamma and extra greyscale settings.

Thanks 4your help

Grtz
post #144 of 1311 Old 11-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

Thks
Ken

Quote:

I am not able to get an accurate Gamma with Panel Brightness set to Mid. That being said, here are the best settings I got for the Mid Panel Brightness setting. The test pattern gives 45 FL, compared to low 20's with the Low Panel Brightness. For some, the benefits of the brighter picture may offset the less accurate Gamma.

Date 10/12/11
Picture Mode Custom
Temperature Warm2
Panel Brightness Mid
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 50
Color 46
Tint 0
Gamma 2.2
Black extension 0
Color management Off
Video NR Off
Contour emphasis Off
CATS Off
AGC 0
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Motion smoother Off
Black Level Light

Grayscale
High R 0
High G -2
High B 2
Low R 6
Low G 3
Low B 0

Dave O
The luminance patch is on Panny's website on the 'Professional Installers' download page
Nov. 11, 2011 Ver. 2.100 FW update
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html
TC-P50GT30 TC-P55GT30 TC-P60GT30 TC-P65GT30
TC-P55GT31 TC-P55VT30 TC-P65VT30
TC-P55VT30X TC-P65VT30X

Any opportunity for you to install and re-run calibration?
I have installed. skin tones are better, but (generally) colors/brightness seem to be a little softer/flatter.

Anxious to see what you come up with!!

Thanks!
Ken
post #145 of 1311 Old 11-25-2011, 08:02 PM

I may try it in a week or so. No way to undo it. I would be great if there was a way for Panasonic to get it into the official code base so that future enhancements won't override it.
post #146 of 1311 Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I tried out that 2.1 firmware, and I see better saturation of the color. Could be just me wanting to see it...

Anyways I use D-Nice's settings and I had to change the color settings from 45-40 to make the skin tones natural again.

Curious if anyone else out there is using D-Nice's settings and applied this firmware?
post #147 of 1311 Old 11-27-2011, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotus View Post

Does anyone have the default offset values? I admit I screwed with my offsets, and now my warm2 setting is all sorts of screwed up. PLEASE HELP!!

in D-NICE's settings I mistakenly set the values that said "0 offset" to 0 values.

So, umm...same issue here. I was a huge idiot and didn't write down the default value. Is there anything I can do now?
post #148 of 1311 Old 11-27-2011, 06:53 AM
ped

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedsAle View Post

So, umm...same issue here. I was a huge idiot and didn't write down the default value. Is there anything I can do now?

There aren't any "default" values, although I could imagine there are displays that are the same. If you didn't tweak the settings for standard definition then those will be the same factory settings as HD for a given display. Feed the display a SD signal and enter the SM, write down or photograph the settings there, then restore the HD side.
post #149 of 1311 Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 AM

I did both. :/
post #150 of 1311 Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Installed the 2.1 patch........and I am very pleased! Color saturation issues are dramatically improved and total picture quality has taken a giant step forward. I would recommend all to install this upgrade. Not oly are skin tones improved, but (to my eye) the whole color gamut is improved. MID now has a more natural picture, yet still has pop -- which is missing in THX. I am very pleased with the changes!

Ken
PeterLewis likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page