The Official Panasonic GT30 Settings Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1307 Old 11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
stang323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I applied the 2.1 but now my GT 30 asks to do the 2.200 update which I had prior. 2.200 reduces "peaks" does 2.1 fix that as well?
stang323 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1307 Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM
ped
Senior Member
 
ped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang323 View Post

I applied the 2.1 but now my GT 30 asks to do the 2.200 update which I had prior. 2.200 reduces "peaks" does 2.1 fix that as well?

You can install the 2.20 firmware over the 2.1, the important part, the luminance patch will stick. No harm, no foul

If you want to use any of the internet app stuff you'll have to install 2.20 anyway.
ped is offline  
post #183 of 1307 Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cpcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vidalia, GA
Posts: 6,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

I did try to calibrate at a higher Contrast, but the WB values I needed to get the Gamma correct ruined the minimal light level. You can find those settings earlier in this thread, with a disclaimer.

You're right, the higher settings in the
low WB do raise the mll. Can't do that!
cpcat is offline  
post #184 of 1307 Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Wermey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so just to make sure, even though i have already updated to 2.2 i can revert to 2.1 to get this awesome update, and then i can update to 2.2 again and it will keep the changes that 2.1 did?

Also what are some good settings to try now after this update?
Wermey is offline  
post #185 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Member
 
BiggNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just downloaded this patch and am very happy that I did. Custom mode is exactly how I like it for sports and tv shows, its bright and vibrant without being over saturated with bleeding colors! I recommend this setting!
BiggNewt is offline  
post #186 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

I am not able to get an accurate Gamma with Panel Brightness set to Mid. That being said, here are the best settings I got for the Mid Panel Brightness setting. The test pattern gives 45 FL, compared to low 20's with the Low Panel Brightness. For some, the benefits of the brighter picture may offset the less accurate Gamma.

Date 10/12/11
Picture Mode Custom
Temperature Warm2
Panel Brightness Mid
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 50
Color 46
Tint 0
Gamma 2.2
Black extension 0
Color management Off
Video NR Off
Contour emphasis Off
CATS Off
AGC 0
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Motion smoother Off
Black Level Light

Grayscale
High R 0
High G -2
High B 2
Low R 6
Low G 3
Low B 0



I love these settings very nice pic, bright vibrate but not to torchy. Thanks
rob316 is offline  
post #187 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

Just downloaded this patch and am very happy that I did. Custom mode is exactly how I like it for sports and tv shows, its bright and vibrant without being over saturated with bleeding colors! I recommend this setting!

Nice! I am still using D-Nice's settings. At first I thought that skin tones were too saturated (probably because I was watching LOST and heck, they are on an island and sun burnt anyways ) but after watching some more content I realized I just wasn't used to the colors looking better like this.

I am gonna try out custom mode for sports usage.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #188 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rob316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Good you found that link. For those who choose to try it out I'd like to hear what you think, especially if you are using the D-Nice settings.

I downloaded and installed the 2.1 patch, and I also used Dave_O's Mid Panel settings and let me tell you what a great pic!!. THX was nice but just a little to dark fro me. Dave_O's settings are great. I did not perform the 100 hour break in period or D-Nice's settings, I just watch a lot of HD for break in.
rob316 is offline  
post #189 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

I downloaded and installed the 2.1 patch, and I also used Dave_O's Mid Panel settings and let me tell you what a great pic!!. THX was nice but just a little to dark fro me. Dave_O's settings are great. I did not perform the 100 hour break in period or D-Nice's settings, I just watch a lot of HD for break in.

I'll have to play around with these Dave O settings, see how they work with D-Nice's SM changes.

I am also glad that others are seeing what I am with this 2.1 firmware. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just seeing things
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #190 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Nice! I am still using D-Nice's settings. At first I thought that skin tones were too saturated (probably because I was watching LOST and heck, they are on an island and sun burnt anyways ) but after watching some more content I realized I just wasn't used to the colors looking better like this.

I am gonna try out custom mode for sports usage.

Fanta,

If you are watching Custom / Mid panel brightness, try turning Color down 44-46 if you haven't already and report back.

May help with skin tones, and I think I read a comment from someone saying that the updated patch improves on things, but isn't perfect, and that saturation may still have to be turned down a few clicks.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #191 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Fanta,

If you are watching Custom / Mid panel brightness, try turning Color down 44-46 if you haven't already and report back.

May help with skin tones, and I think I read a comment from someone saying that the updated patch improves on things, but isn't perfect, and that saturation may still have to be turned down a few clicks.

Thanks for the suggestion. With D-Nice's settings, color is at 45. So I had played around with it at 40, then at 36 for awhile. This helped a bit but I still need to watch more material with it at 45, I think I just may have not been used to seeing color look the way it does now.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #192 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

Thanks for the suggestion. With D-Nice's settings, color is at 45. So I had played around with it at 40, then at 36 for awhile. This helped a bit but I still need to watch more material with it at 45, I think I just may have not been used to seeing color look the way it does now.

How do flesh tones look in the lower 40s?

You may "not be used to it" because it simply isn't accurate.

I've been debating going with a GT-30 but I'm curious about Mid-panel brightness color. I know Mid panel brightness compresses high-end gamma on the VT/ST series as well, but I was hoping this update would improve skin tones without having to dial down the color saturation too much.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #193 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, weren't DNice's settings for the GT-30 series only on the THX mode?
jamesco411 is offline  
post #194 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

How do flesh tones look in the lower 40s?

You may "not be used to it" because it simply isn't accurate.

I've been debating going with a GT-30 but I'm curious about Mid-panel brightness color. I know Mid panel brightness compresses high-end gamma on the VT/ST series as well, but I was hoping this update would improve skin tones without having to dial down the color saturation too much.

Flesh tones look fine at 40. At 45 I think they are alright as well, again I need to do some more evaluating. I know that between 36-45 I will find something that suites me.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #195 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

Also, weren't DNice's settings for the GT-30 series only on the THX mode?

Correct. What I am seeing may be different from others posting without D-Nice's SM settings. Those SM settings adjusted color as well.
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #196 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Member
 
ken325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lititz PA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesco411 View Post

How do flesh tones look in the lower 40s?

You may "not be used to it" because it simply isn't accurate.

I've been debating going with a GT-30 but I'm curious about Mid-panel brightness color. I know Mid panel brightness compresses high-end gamma on the VT/ST series as well, but I was hoping this update would improve skin tones without having to dial down the color saturation too much.

I installed the 2.1 patch, used Spears and Munsil with Color @ 53, slin tones are good.

Before the patch, I had to have Color at 43-46, and had sun burnt skin.

Ken
ken325i is offline  
post #197 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Wermey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken325i View Post

I installed the 2.1 patch, used Spears and Munsil with Color @ 53, slin tones are good.

Before the patch, I had to have Color at 43-46, and had sun burnt skin.

Ken

what are your settings now? Now the skin tone is to mute.
Wermey is offline  
post #198 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Member
 
ken325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lititz PA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

i downloaded and installed the 2.1 patch, and i also used dave_o's mid panel settings and let me tell you what a great pic!!. Thx was nice but just a little to dark fro me. Dave_o's settings are great. I did not perform the 100 hour break in period or d-nice's settings, i just watch a lot of hd for break in.

+ 1 !!
ken325i is offline  
post #199 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Member
 
ken325i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Lititz PA
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

what are your settings now? Now the skin tone is to mute.

Contrast 77
Brightness 56
Color 53

Pro Settings -- see the Dave O settings
ken325i is offline  
post #200 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
gadianton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


The bad: Picture quality flaws include subtly fluctuating black and gray levels as well as inaccurate gamma that washes out shadows somewhat. The GT30 has fewer picture controls than the competition, doesn't include 3D glasses, and uses significantly more power than LCD TVs.

This is from the CNET review. Did the firmware thing fix the "subtly fluctuating black and gray levels"? And is the shadow detail improved?
gadianton is offline  
post #201 of 1307 Old 11-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Member
 
BiggNewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 98
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That fluctuating black level has been fixed for a while now. This latest update fixed the color luminance issue, which made color calibrating a problem. Its much better now. The panasonic models have been greatly improved via firmware updates, something I think that separates them from Samsung. Panny seems to want to get the customers what they want. Samsung gives you what they have and if you don't like it it, oh well..IMO of course.
BiggNewt is offline  
post #202 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
True....

AND...gamma also now measures very good at 2.2 in THX. The problem was that you have to use small windowed patterns, the same that THX uses to certify displays, to get that value. This is why cnet and other reviews had the gamma down around 1.9.

ChadB also measured the modified ANSI contrast ratio to be about 4700:1
jamesco411 is offline  
post #203 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had read that the a-board swap doesn't 100% fix the fbr issue, but it greatly improves the issue so that it only happens rarely.

I have fbr but it isn't that bad so I haven't swapped it out, but I probably should as it is a free fix...
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #204 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
gadianton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggNewt View Post

That fluctuating black level has been fixed for a while now. This latest update fixed the color luminance issue, which made color calibrating a problem. Its much better now. The panasonic models have been greatly improved via firmware updates, something I think that separates them from Samsung. Panny seems to want to get the customers what they want. Samsung gives you what they have and if you don't like it it, oh well..IMO of course.

The Panasonic attitude is a big plus I think. I've had a couple of Panasonic products before and the single time I had an issue they were a joy to deal with. The willingness to address the issue has been refreshing to see. I think I've made up my mind and now I'm just waiting to find a good deal on the GT30.
gadianton is offline  
post #205 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
FantaXP7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadianton View Post

The Panasonic attitude is a big plus I think. I've had a couple of Panasonic products before and the single time I had an issue they were a joy to deal with. The willingness to address the issue has been refreshing to see. I think I've made up my mind and now I'm just waiting to find a good deal on the GT30.

Exactly why I chose them over the Samsung. I had a few quality issues with past Samsung tvs. The two sets performed similarly overall so that was what set the Panasonic ahead for me. Although I had a model from two years ago that loss black levels I still felt that they are a better company.

These fixes are showing why I prefer Panasonic. Apparently Samsung has some sort of fbr issue and they haven't acknowledged it yet let alone put out awesome firmwares like this 2.1 (to my knowledge).
FantaXP7 is online now  
post #206 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Newbie
 
wondervamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...=mncol;rvwBody

Not sure if there was an firmware update since then that may have changed things, but I have an up to date firmware on a May build and I personally like CNETS settings for THX now but still playing with things
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiland555 View Post

I have seen folks refer to the CNET settings in this thread and the owners thread. I've tried to search for them but have not found them. Could someone please give me a link? Thanks so much.

wondervamp is offline  
post #207 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Newbie
 
wondervamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
See, that is the thing. You can shoot for some uniformity with one person's settings and then tweak from there because each TV will have somewhat different results. Also, each person will have different opinions on aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

Here are the best settings I have come up with yet. There seems to be a lot of variation in the response of these sets to published settings. Checking some settings and measurements that have been posted gave results that were very much worse that were obtained on the other persons set.

There were no adjustments to the Service Menu, and the set has the original A-Board.

Thanks to zoyd for pointing me in the right direction and donnymac for basics on gamma and RGB !!!


Picture Mode Custom
Temperature Warm2
Panel Brightness Low
Contrast 75
Brightness 50
Sharpness 50
Color 49
Tint 0
Gamma 2.2
Black extension 0
Color management Off
Video NR Off
Contour emphasis Off
CATS Off
AGC 0
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Motion smoother Off
Black Level Light

Grayscale
High R 2
High G 0
High B 10

Low R 8
Low G 11
Low B -1

wondervamp is offline  
post #208 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
wondervamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellspd View Post

and i would recommend not using the sm settings from a different display. I would suggest unless you have a proper calibration done, leave the factory settings. Just my opinion.

wondervamp is offline  
post #209 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Newbie
 
Audiophile@Birth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wermey View Post

so just to make sure, even though i have already updated to 2.2 i can revert to 2.1 to get this awesome update, and then i can update to 2.2 again and it will keep the changes that 2.1 did?

Also what are some good settings to try now after this update?

I too would also like to know this!

I just installed 2.1 via the link posted by the other member. Now I am about to put 2.2 back on. Will it over ride the professional patch??
Audiophile@Birth is offline  
post #210 of 1307 Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Norske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Farmington, UT
Posts: 259
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile@Birth View Post


I too would also like to know this!

I just installed 2.1 via the link posted by the other member. Now I am about to put 2.2 back on. Will it over ride the professional patch??

No. Shouldn't over ride the patch.
Norske is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off