post #241 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by entrer1 View Post

I downloaded the new 2.1 patch and did Daves mid pannel settings and this has given me the best picture I have ever seen on any TV I have ever owned. The only problem I am having is on my Xbox 360 for games like battlefield 3 the shadow detail is too dark along with the enemy's to the point I can not see anything. I have tried several settings and am about to pull my hair out, lol. Had to hook my Xbox back up to my LCD computer monitor to get my kd ratio back in the positives :-) . does anyone have any suggestions to brighten things up? I am using game mode btw.

I noticed the same thing in Gears 3. I had to adjust the brightness all the way up from within the game. After that it is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
Hi -- could someone please post info again on how to download and install this firmware patch? The link above (with stars removed) takes me to Page 243 of a Panasonic Insiders thread with no information on the patch? Thanks.
post #243 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by intellion View Post

Hi -- could someone please post info again on how to download and install this firmware patch? The link above (with stars removed) takes me to Page 243 of a Panasonic Insiders thread with no information on the patch? Thanks.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html
post #244 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks very much
post #245 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Would anyone be willing to share their experience with the 2.1 firmware patch and if they had originally applied D-Nice's panel prep/settings?

I have a few questions below in my original post before I flash the Panny.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott101 View Post

Hi,

Wondering if someone could answer a few questions.

I have a GT30 set and ran the 100 hour panel prep. I also ran D-Nice's calibration and applied his settings for the THX mode. I have had the set for about 2 months.

- If I apply this 2.1 firmware, will it make the THX picture better, worse or will it remain the same?
- Would I have to change any of the SM vales for the THX mode after this firmware is applied?
- Would I have to change any of the picture settings for the THX mode after this firmware is applied?
- Should I apply the 2.2 firmware after 2.1?

I do enjoy the THX picture for movies (2d/3d) but would like custom settings for sports. As it stands now, I cannot get the custom picture settings right for watching tv/sports. I find the THX mode a little dark for TV viewing.

Thanks in advance.

post #246 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would anyone be willing to share their experience with the 2.1 firmware patch and if they had originally applied D-Nice's panel prep/settings?

I have a few questions below in my original post before I flash the Panny.

Thanks.

I asked the same thing and haven't heard from any other D-Nice prep/settings users.

I will say that I am happy with the overall picture difference with 2.1, but I am no pro and can't comment if it does any technical changes to what D-Nice service menu changes do.

If I had to do it again I definitely would. But I am still waiting to see if there was a reason I shouldn't have.
post #247 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks. Did you leave the D-Nice Picture and SM values the same for the THX mode after the 2.1 upgrade?

Just curious if I need to change any values for the THX mode. I do want the THX quality to go down, as I am quite happy with the performance.

Can you comment on how your THX performance increased? better black levels, better color?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaXP7 View Post

I asked the same thing and haven't heard from any other D-Nice prep/settings users.

I will say that I am happy with the overall picture difference with 2.1, but I am no pro and can't comment if it does any technical changes to what D-Nice service menu changes do.

If I had to do it again I definitely would. But I am still waiting to see if there was a reason I shouldn't have.

post #248 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

Here are settings for the GT30 with Panel Brightness set to Mid Level after applying the Custom 2.1 Firmware.

Date 12/3/2011
Picture Mode Custom
Temperature Warm2
Panel Brightness Mid
Contrast 80
Brightness 50
Sharpness 25
Color 49
Tint 0
Gamma 2.2
Black extension 0
Color management Off
Video NR Off
Contour emphasis Off
CATS Off
AGC 0
Block NR Off
Mosquito NR Off
Motion smoother Off
Black Level Light
Grayscale
High R -1
High G 0
High B 3
Low R 0
Low G 0
Low B -1

Measured Luminance is 44 FL, but is really about 54 FL per D-Nice's conversion factor for 2011 Panasonic Plasmas

Outstanding update to your original mid panel settings. My tv looks better than ever now. Wow this tv gets better and better.

Update after further watching I found these settings too dark, i swicthed back to the original mid panel settings and they are a lot better.
post #249 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
"Outstanding update to your original mid panel settings. My tv looks better than ever now. Wow this tv gets better and better.

Update after further watching I found these settings too dark, i swicthed back to the original mid panel settings and they are a lot better."

Try increasing the Brightness setting to 65 while leaving all other settings intact. Keep in mind there are numerous variables that impact each owner's viewing experience ranging from room brightness to individual preference.

post #250 of 1307 Old 12-05-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Did you leave the D-Nice Picture and SM values the same for the THX mode after the 2.1 upgrade?

Just curious if I need to change any values for the THX mode. I do want the THX quality to go down, as I am quite happy with the performance.

Can you comment on how your THX performance increased? better black levels, better color?

Thanks again!

D-Nice settings picture and SM are the same. However, I stupidly never wrote down my original SM settings, so I can't verify that the patch didn't change anything in the SM. But I personally didn't change anything.

But again, I am happy overall.
post #251 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

"Outstanding update to your original mid panel settings. My tv looks better than ever now. Wow this tv gets better and better.

Update after further watching I found these settings too dark, i swicthed back to the original mid panel settings and they are a lot better."

Try increasing the Brightness setting to 65 while leaving all other settings intact. Keep in mind there are numerous variables that impact each owner's viewing experience ranging from room brightness to individual preference.

Good Point I will play with the brightness when I get home.
post #252 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

You'd be better off increasing the contrast.
Leave the brightness where it is--that sets black
level.
post #253 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 10:07 AM

I just got my 60" GT30, and wondering if I install the 2.1 update do I have to reinstall the 2.2 that is on it now? Btw,It was built in August and I haven't noticed the fbl yet.Thanks!

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
post #254 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by petemc1 View Post

I just got my 60" GT30, and wondering if I install the 2.1 update do I have to reinstall the 2.2 that is on it now? Btw,It was built in August and I haven't noticed the fbl yet.Thanks!

You should do a network re-install of 2.2 which will not overide the changes 2.1 made.
post #255 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Outstanding update to your original mid panel settings. My tv looks better than ever now. Wow this tv gets better and better.

Update after further watching I found these settings too dark, i swicthed back to the original mid panel settings and they are a lot better.

I realized that after I added the 2.1 Luminance patch that I hadn't updated the firmware (again) to 2.2. Just did - re installed Dave O's 2.1 settings and am very pleased with the results - leaving contrast at 80 & Brightness at 50 and everything looks most excellent.
So to recap - if you initially updated to 2.2 firmware & then installed 2.1 patch - you need to re install 2.2 firmware update.
As always - appreciate all the input from AVSer's - continue to expand the knowledge base & improve picture quality at the same time!!

post #256 of 1307 Old 12-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Not bieng very computer savy can someone tell me a simple way of downloading the 2.1 patch....I dont have a card downloader but i do have usb? Thank you
post #257 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 03:20 AM

Are the grey scale settings the first one's in the pro settings?

Life is too short to drink cheap beer
post #258 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question: I have had the 60gt30 for about a month so far and I am really enjoying this set. I got an August build and it is fbr free. Last night i have noticed something and have no idea in what it is.

In certain pre-set modes like THX or custom, whenever the gamma is set to 2.2 and panel brightness to mid, in dark scenes the screen produces a grainy effect noticeable only on close inspection....this grainy effect is also noticeable on the black bars when watching a 16:9 movie.....it looks like the sub-pixels are flashing randomly in random spots of the screen creating a "sparkly" effect that goes away when there is a brighter image displayed like a daylight shot. Last night I was watching the BD of Cowboys and Aliens and at the beginning when they are around the fire at night I can notice that effect which disappears during daylight scenes or when i change the gamma to 2.4 or panel brightness to low or high. I am not sure I have explained the thing properly and whether or not this is an issue, but it would be great if somebody would shed some light here......

Thank you in advance......
post #259 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Months ago I followed D-Nice's instructions to the T, including the SM changes, then I applied the 2.1 Luminance patch a number of days back. Should I now go back into the SM and return the settings back to default?

My reasoning is that when D-Nice generously offered these settings he was working around the issues that the patch fixed, and now that that has been done the SM adjustments are not needed.

post #260 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post

I would guess over 80%, based on measurements using small APL Windows and an entry level meter. The reason I started to play with custom calibration was that occasionally there seemed to be a very slight sense of green in more than one content source.

Enclosed are measurements of THX default and Custom.

How do you set Contour Emphasis, AGC, Luminance (is this a setting or a reading?) and the Grayscale values?
post #261 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco79f View Post

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question: I have had the 60gt30 for about a month so far and I am really enjoying this set. I got an August build and it is fbr free. Last night i have noticed something and have no idea in what it is.

In certain pre-set modes like THX or custom, whenever the gamma is set to 2.2 and panel brightness to mid, in dark scenes the screen produces a grainy effect noticeable only on close inspection....this grainy effect is also noticeable on the black bars when watching a 16:9 movie.....it looks like the sub-pixels are flashing randomly in random spots of the screen creating a "sparkly" effect that goes away when there is a brighter image displayed like a daylight shot. Last night I was watching the BD of Cowboys and Aliens and at the beginning when they are around the fire at night I can notice that effect which disappears during daylight scenes or when i change the gamma to 2.4 or panel brightness to low or high. I am not sure I have explained the thing properly and whether or not this is an issue, but it would be great if somebody would shed some light here......

I have had a read online and it looks like they are called Sparkles.....i only see them when i set the gamma to 2.2 and panel brightness to mid.....any idea?
post #262 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

How do you set Contour Emphasis, AGC, Luminance (is this a setting or a reading?) and the Grayscale values?

Contour emphasis, AGC, and Grayscale are located in the Pro Settings of the set's Picture settings. These are not available in THX mode, only in Custom mode.

Luminance is a measurement the CalMAN software provides, and is varied with the TV's Contrast control.
post #263 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 93
55GT30
I know everyone is saying if you use D-Nice settings do not do 2.1 luminance patch but here is my experience. I have been using D-Nice settings as well and I agree that they were a little dark unless the room was completely dark. I also felt I needed to use -1 on tint vise 0 and brought the color up to 50 vise 45. I always thought the picture was a little grainy (like what you described) no matter where I set the sharpness contrast or brightness. After I installed 2.1 there was a noticeable difference. I returned tint to 0 as the color was much more vibrant now. I think the grainy picture was also corrected. I do not have meters or anything I just think the picture is much better now. I am totally satisfied with my purchase and the 2.1 patch using D-Nice settings. My set is amazing now. After making the SM changes you can dowel in the contrast color and sharpness to your desire.
post #264 of 1307 Old 12-07-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

How do you check the firmware and any other version on a 50-inch GT and what should they be?

I have a March build.
post #265 of 1307 Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco79f View Post

Hi everyone,

Sounds like your brightness control is set a few clicks too high. Look at a 16:9 letterbox bar or 4:3 pillarbox black bar and begin decreasing the brightness control until the sparkles (dithering) just go away. This is known as the "dithering method" for adjusting the brightness control (black level) on a pdp. It will also provide you with the best minimal luminance (lowest black level) and therefore maximize your overall contrast and pq. Then confirm your brightness control setting with a test disc "pluge" pattern if you have one on hand. Remember that if you adjust the contrast on the display, it can also effect the brightness setting so you may have to readjust intermittently after changing contrast.

The optimal brightness control settings vary among the different picture modes on the GT quite a bit. For THX it's around 51 for me (with contrast at 65) and with mid panel brightness 2.1 patched Custom mode settings it's around 47 (with contrast at 75).
post #266 of 1307 Old 12-11-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using a 50 GT30 with a D* HR2X DVR?

I got the HR20 and none of the codes for Panasonic works for controlling the TV with the DVR remote.
post #267 of 1307 Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

Anyone using a 50 GT30 with a D* HR2X DVR?

I got the HR20 and none of the codes for Panasonic works for controlling the TV with the DVR remote.

I'm using a HR23 with the RC65RB remote with the 50GT30. I don't remember any problems setting up the remote and it works fine. Have you reset the remote to clear out old codes?
post #268 of 1307 Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Got it working. I had to hold down Mute and Select longer than I was doing.

Thanks.
post #269 of 1307 Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 AM

Hi there everyone, I've just got myself a THP50GT30A in the last week or 2 and absolutely love it, but....I've noticed something that I've never seen before on any tv (I work for an electrical retailer, so have seen plenty)

not sure how to explain it other than a series of white dashes that so far have appeared in the top left and bottom left corners when watching free to air tv, it's not on every channel, but it's not restricted to just one broadcaster.

Has anyone here seen this, I've forwarded the link to Panasonic support also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g28ErDo9Bh8

I will post up a link to some footage of it in a moment.

Thanks Michael
post #270 of 1307 Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 AM

I see that every night when watching our local news channel. Seems to only show up when they cut to the field reporter. I assumed it had something to do with a different camera since the feed from the anchor desk in the studio looks fine. It is the same for me on OTA as well as DirecTV's feed.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page