LG 42PT350 vs Samsung PN43D450? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-19-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I'm trying to decide which one of these should I buy. I really can't find to many reviews on the LG. The Samsung reviews look positive.

Even though there is good reviews on the Samsung, I also read for this year, the Samsungs are having floating blacks, brightness fluctuating. Does anyone notice these issues?

I would also like to get more input if someone has the LG model and if it also has any floating blacks or brightness fluctuating. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Based on history they are probably similar. I haven't seen the LG this year. I have owned the Samsung for ~2 mos., and once I turned off the Eco Sensor, and switched to Movie mode, I have yet to see any fluctuating blacks or brightness, anymore.

They both have reflective screens, but it isn't that big of a deal for me, as I can vary the lighting, as needed, and it's just a secondary TV. I think I read the LG is at least a little more reflective, if it matters.

Very few problems with this Samsung this year, just a few defectives, as usual with all TVs. Also, note the Samsung is 43" and the LG is 41.6" ; it makes a little difference. Hopefully some people will chime in with any problems with the LG this year. Weights and styling are similar.

I have read virtually nothing on this LG. I can just tell you that the Samsung is impressive once it is dialed in with the right settings. Heck, out of the box it was nice, just not realistic, as few TVs are, anymore.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

It's good to hear you enjoy your set. It's true that some sets can be defective. I don't have any problems with reflections either. I do like that 1+ screen on the Samsung. Thanks for your input QZ1.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Any LG owners?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris100 View Post

Any LG owners?

Yup. I haven't saw the samsung so I cant really comment on that. I have the exact LG you're talking about.

The LG is a very slim, sleek looking TV with a nice gloss. It comes with some nice features with the picture wizard, image retention minimization, and the eco intelligent sensor. The picture quality is fantastic. Crystal clear and sharp. The colors are very bright(Even with settings below 50) and very clear. As far as reflection goes, i've tested in a dark room and well lit room and it isn't bad at all. Infact, unless you're really looking for it or in an extremely bright room, you won't notice it.

I'm impressed with the unit overall. It's my first plasma and I don't think I could have gotten a better TV for the price.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

AFAIK, all plasmas have a feature to minimize image retention, a 'pixel orbiter'. Eco modes are a negative for plasmas (LCDs, too, I'd imagine), causing picture fluctuations. Samsung's picture wizard is nice, also.

If the LG doesn't have any design flaws, or they are minimal, it sounds like one couldn't go wrong with either TV, as they typically are similar TVs.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input ehawk. I ended up getting the Samsung, it will be here in about a week. I saw it in the store next to the LG. The colors and the 1+ size did it for me. I played around with both tvs, the LG was nice too. I notice the Samsung even though it's a 720p, actually 768p, it looks as good as the higher end plasmas. Can't wait.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:57 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Actually, +1.4" for the Samsung. Though, it wouldn't be enough to sway my decision, unless I'd seen both TVs and couldn't decide otherwise. I see you liked the colors better, and that is very important.

Both the Samsung 43" and LG 41.6" (42") TVs are 1024x768p.

Glad you are happy with the TV.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM

I'm just wondering if ehawk still has his LG 42PT350 and if so if you can help with the calibration numbers used in your TV!

Thank you

Tags
Samsung Pn43d450 43 Inch 720p 600 Hz Plasma Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread