Revised Samsung D7000 and D8000 screen peeling poll - Page 4 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Has your Samsung D7000 or D8000 peeled?
March 2011 built date.....Yes 0 0%
March 2011 built date......No 0 0%
April 2011 built date.......Yes 0 0%
April 2011 built date........No 0 0%
May 2011 built date.......Yes 0 0%
May 2011 built date........No 0 0%
June 2011 built date......Yes 0 0%
June 2011 built date.......No 0 0%
July 2011 built date.......Yes 0 0%
July 2011 built date........No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I got a call from the repair tech today. I wasn't home so they left a VM stating that they ordered a part based on the problem description they got. I'm thinking...what part did they order? Are they familiar with the problem? What part do you order when the complaint says "screen peeling."

Anyways, by the time I got home and to the VM they were gone for the weekend. I left a voicemail and sent an email. I referenced these threads so they could see pictures showing the problems. They didn't respond to the email I sent yesterday with my cell phone number though. I'll call them on Tuesday to follow up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May 2011
PN64D7000

No bubbles on delivery. Within 4 hours of actual use, bubbles appeared on both the left and right top corners.
post #93 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If you call Samsung, let us know what they say.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM

Just some more info.

I bought mine from amazon. No peeling on delivery. May 2011 build. less than 10 hours before peeling emerged. Almost to the pixels.

Besides that this set is absolutely beautiful. I was thinking about exchanging it for an new pn64d7000 or a p65gt30 from amazon. Only $200 more, but no free starter kit or 3d player. Should I stay with amazon or switch for the panny?

Also, has anyone returned anyhting to amazon? Do you ship back and wait for new or they ship new and switch out the sets.
post #95 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop_161 View Post
Just some more info.

I bought mine from amazon. No peeling on delivery. May 2011 build. less than 10 hours before peeling emerged. Almost to the pixels.

Besides that this set is absolutely beautiful. I was thinking about exchanging it for an new pn64d7000 or a p65gt30 from amazon. Only $200 more, but no free starter kit or 3d player. Should I stay with amazon or switch for the panny?

Also, has anyone returned anyhting to amazon? Do you ship back and wait for new or they ship new and switch out the sets.
I would try another. But for me the panny is not an option, I just dont
like the way it looks, and i love the way this one does, if the panny looks
just as good to you in every way then after another try I would switch,
there are threads on some issues with them as well though.
post #96 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Bishop's experience -- if verified by others -- is starting to weave the threads of a story.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #97 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 08:23 PM

I bought a PN64D8000 from best Buy 2 weeks back every thing was fine till today its has started peeling from right top corner. I am really really sad. I have a 4 year Black Tie warranty from Best Buy so I am not really worried. I have decided I will wait for a little while before claiming my warranty so that I don't have another piece with same problem. I dont know the MF date on my TV.
post #98 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Bishop's experience -- if verified by others -- is starting to weave the threads of a story.
The interesting thing about his story is that if it is heat, you need fewer than 10 hours to accomplish enough heat to start the peeling.

post #99 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sony-pany View Post
I bought a PN64D8000 from best Buy 2 weeks back every thing was fine till today its has started peeling from right top corner. I am really really sad. I have a 4 year Black Tie warranty from Best Buy so I am not really worried. I have decided I will wait for a little while before claiming my warranty so that I don't have another piece with same problem. I dont know the MF date on my TV.
you can get it from the serial number on Samsung's website.

post #100 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
The interesting thing about his story is that if it is heat, you need fewer than 10 hours to accomplish enough heat to start the peeling.
here are some pics of the top left and top right corners of my screen. As you can seen the peeling has reached the pixels on both sides. I received the TV at around 11am. It was off for around 2 to 3 hrs today. No peeling when it arrived and this is where it is at at 11pm. So safe bet is a max of 7 hrs of use has created this much peeling.

thoughts?

I am definitively calling amazon tomorrow. I really like the set so I will try my luck with a replacement. Also Amazon has removed the warning from their website so I wonder if they have resolved this issue with Samsung?
post #101 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

continuous use or 7 hours of intermittant use?

post #102 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
here are some pics of the top left and top right corners of my screen. As you can seen the peeling has reached the pixels on both sides. I received the TV at around 11am. It was off for around 2 to 3 hrs today. No peeling when it arrived and this is where it is at at 11pm. So safe bet is a max of 7 hrs of use has created this much peeling.

thoughts?

I am definitively calling amazon tomorrow. I really like the set so I will try my luck with a replacement. Also Amazon has removed the warning from their website so I wonder if they have resolved this issue with Samsung?
Return it--Amazon has a pretty nice return policy. Just call them up and tell them the issue.
post #103 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I had my set on for a few hours tonight and checked the heat. It was very hot at the top. That being said, it was hottest on the back in the middle and cool on the corners. Where mine is peeling is a couple inches in from the corner but it isn't the hottest part or even terribly hot at that particular point.

And again, the corners were cool and that is where a lot of the peeling has been occuring on other people's sets.

post #104 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
continuous use or 7 hours of intermittant use?
watched avatar and half of troy (4 hours?) and noticed the peeling began. turned off for two to three hours. Played PS3 for two to three hours and watched Shrek 3D with family and than took picture.
post #105 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
I had my set on for a few hours tonight and checked the heat. It was very hot at the top. That being said, it was hottest on the back in the middle and cool on the corners. Where mine is peeling is a couple inches in from the corner but it isn't the hottest part or even terribly hot at that particular point.

And again, the corners were cool and that is where a lot of the peeling has been occuring on other people's sets.
are you exchanging for another set? Or are you just returning buying another different tv?
post #106 of 341 Old 07-01-2011, 11:25 PM

so far 45.58% of people that have answered have issues with screen peeling....

Samsung has to know this is a problem and must be working to fix it?!?!? Right? lol
post #107 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 AM

Ok so I just finished chatting with samsung and they are saying they have had no reports of this issue:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post

Douglas: Has samsung done anything to fix this problem?
Stewart B: Could you please let me know the email address so that I can file a service for you?
Douglas: I can give you my email address, but I am not going to get it serviced yet. I would rather return it to amazon.com (where i purchased it) for a refund/replacement. The main reason I wanted to speak with you was to see if this issue has been resolved. Has Samsung found the problem and fixed it? Is there a certain build month that will be free of defects?
Stewart B: I am sorry, we do not have any reported issues on the unit.
Douglas: really?
Stewart B: I am sorry, there are no reported issues.

I was blown away by this. One thing I have learned is that only 7% of customers actually report issues to the company while 77% will tell a friend (or forum in this case) of the issue.

Here is the transcript if someone would like to read it:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Stewart B'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK538069431X

Stewart B: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Douglas: Hi Stewart how are you doing today?
Stewart B: I am fine, thank you.
Stewart B: How are you?
Douglas: Good except I am having a problem with my recent purchase
Douglas: I became aware of an issue of part of the screen peeling shortly after i purchased it
Douglas: When my tv arrived I thoughly inspected it to make sure mine did not have this issue.
Stewart B: May I know the model number of the unit?
Douglas: After about 4 hours of use, the peeling emerged in both the top left and right corners
Douglas: sure, where is it located
Douglas: i is a PN64D7000
Douglas: it*
Stewart B: Thank you for the model number.
Douglas: The peeling has reached the pixels on both the top left and right corners
Douglas: Would you like to see a picture?
Douglas:
Douglas: opps that didn't work.
Stewart B: Yes, please send the picture to livechat@sea.samsung.com
Douglas: if you copy and past the link aboe it wil show you.
Douglas: Would you still like me to email it?
Stewart B: I am sorry, please send an email.
Douglas: I understand
Douglas: Subject?
Stewart B: Stewart B.
Douglas: Ok they are uploading. Does Samsung know about this issue? I have noticed quite a bit of other people reporting it on the internet. I also noticed Amazon pulled my model in particular because of several mutliple returns
Douglas: Email sen
Douglas: sent*
Stewart B: Thank you.
Stewart B: Wou`ld you mind holding while I gather the information?
Douglas: Sure. Thank you for your help.
Stewart B: You are welcome.
Stewart B: Thanks for holding.
Stewart B: I am sorry, the unit requires a service.
Stewart B: Could you please let me know the email address so that I can file a service for you?
Stewart B: If it is found the issue has been occurred due to physical damage the issue will not be covered under warranty.
Douglas: I understand. But the TV came in less than 24 hours ago and the only person who has touched the TV is me. So there is no physical damage.
Douglas: Has samsung done anything to fix this problem?
Douglas: I can give you my email address, but I am not going to get it serviced yet. I would rather return it to amazon.com (where i purchased it) for a refund/replacement. The main reason I wanted to speak with you was to see if this issue has been resolved. Has Samsung found the problem and fixed it? Is there a certain build month that will be free of defects?
Douglas: one second please
Stewart B: Okay.
Douglas: here is the ticket number of someone else who has reported the same issue. Ticket# 4008324446
Douglas: I will also link you to some discusions
Douglas: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335353
Douglas: http://www.**************.com/showth...Peeling-Thread
Douglas: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post20458146
Douglas: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1342438
Stewart B: I am sorry, we do not have access to third party websites. I will forward the issue to our higher authorities so that the issue will be taken care of. Thank you for bringing it to our notice.
Stewart B: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Douglas: Thank you. I really hope you understand my motive. I really really like this tv. I really want to get it replaced but I am worried about replacing it just to have the same issue occur. This is the first samsung tv I purchased. This is also the first tv I ever have problems with out of the box.
Douglas: Do you need my tv serial number or anything else so you guys can track it once I return it?
Stewart B: We will track the information.
Douglas: Ok. Thank you Stewart for your help. I was kinda hoping you knew more about this issue, but I understand. Thank you for your help.
Stewart B: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
Stewart B: You are welcome.
Stewart B: I appreciate the patience you displayed while we worked together on this issue.
Stewart B: Thank you for chatting with us. If you have a minute, please click on the blue “X close” button to receive a transcript of your chat and fill out a brief survey to help us serve you better. Have a wonderful day!
Follow Samsung Service on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
post #108 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 AM

moving on to Amazon now for return process. I will keep you guys update with regards to how that goes also.

side note, is the fluctuation in brightness a settings problem or defect in the panel?
post #109 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What is the longest time that it has taken for someone to experience peeling? Does there appear to be a point at which it is safe to say early peeling is unlikely.

post #110 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 12:59 PM

There should be a way to vote for multiple tvs. I received two peeling tv from amazon. both were may built and in the same batch that amazon received. gonna get a third set when they receive a new shipment of tvs
post #111 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoshizzle11 View Post

There should be a way to vote for multiple tvs. I received two peeling tv from amazon. both were may built and in the same batch that amazon received. gonna get a third set when they receive a new shipment of tvs

how did they handle your return? Do you have to ship the tv back to them and they then ship you a replacement?

I already took apart and threw away my box so I don't know how they are going to go about switching the sets out?
post #112 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Douglas: . . . The main reason I wanted to speak with you was to see if this issue has been resolved. Has Samsung found the problem and fixed it? Is there a certain build month that will be free of defects?

You see, everyone thinks when the CSR's say "Samsung" or "we," they mean the company. But actually, everyone who works the CSR lines is named "Samsung." There's Fred Samsung, Jimmy Samsung, Gloria Samsung, Stewart B. Samsung, and the renowned Sammy Samsung. And they like to refer to themselves in the third person. Kind of like the Seinfeld episode where George would say, "George is getting upset," when referring to himself. Each of the CSR's also sometime likes to refer to himself or herself using the royal "we."

So when a CSR says "Samsung" has not received any reports on the unit peeling, or "we" have not received any such reports, I believe that he or she actually means, "I" have not received any such reports.

This is the only possible explanation, as a statement that the company has not received any such reports would be ridiculous. It would be either a blatant lie, or the company's internal communications regarding service issues are of unbelievably poor quality.
post #113 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 02:52 PM

I went out to 2 BB and one HHGregg today to try and decide between the 64D7000 and the Panasonic 65GT30. No stores had any of thenm on display but thats another story. I asked at all 3 locations if they had any returns due to the screen peeling off on the Samsung 7000/8000 sets...all 3 places said they had never heard of the issue. I was leaning towards the 64D7000 but I think I'd better go with the 65GT30...IDK, the whole screen thing is a bummer.
post #114 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 03:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I was in BB this morning and detoured to the TV section. In the Magnolia area they have a 64D8000 with no peeling, but they also have a 59D7000 that has one small 1/4" of peeling area along the top, several inches in from the right corner. The upper left corner of both TVs had a big information sticket covering the whole corner of the screen so i couldn't check for peeling in that corner. I pressed the bubble down with my fingernail and it initially stuck to the glass and disappeared, but within a few seconds the bubble reappeared.

I ran my fingers along the top rear edge of the 64D8000 and it was warm (but not hot) all the way across. But as i ran my fingers along the top rear edge of the 59D7000 it was warm until i got to the area directly behind the peeled part and sure enough it gets real hot in that spot. A few inches to the left and right of the peeled section goes back to being warm.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

Gallery -
post #115 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

are you exchanging for another set? Or are you just returning buying another different tv?

I can't return mine, I have to deal with Samsung.

post #116 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I was in BB this morning and detoured to the TV section. In the Magnolia area they have a 64D8000 with no peeling, but they also have a 59D7000 that has one small 1/4" of peeling area along the top, several inches in from the right corner. The upper left corner of both TVs had a big information sticket covering the whole corner of the screen so i couldn't check for peeling in that corner. I pressed the bubble down with my fingernail and it initially stuck to the glass and disappeared, but within a few seconds the bubble reappeared.

I ran my fingers along the top rear edge of the 64D8000 and it was warm (but not hot) all the way across. But as i ran my fingers along the top rear edge of the 59D7000 it was warm until i got to the area directly behind the peeled part and sure enough it gets real hot in that spot. A few inches to the left and right of the peeled section goes back to being warm.

I'd like to hear more from the corner peelers since that is where a lot of peeling starts. When I touch my set, the corners are real cool.

I also sent a couple tweets to Samsung. I'm going to try to see if Samsung will interact with a samsung customers as a group. I figure the more attempts we make, the more likely we'll get to somebody in a position to answer questions.

post #117 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlai View Post

I went out to 2 BB and one HHGregg today to try and decide between the 64D7000 and the Panasonic 65GT30. No stores had any of thenm on display but thats another story. I asked at all 3 locations if they had any returns due to the screen peeling off on the Samsung 7000/8000 sets...all 3 places said they had never heard of the issue. I was leaning towards the 64D7000 but I think I'd better go with the 65GT30...IDK, the whole screen thing is a bummer.

I have never personally seen a gt30, but I have to say I would not cross out the 64D7000. From my understanding it has a better picture and it is cheaper. Amazon has the 65gt30 for 2730 with no freebies while the 64d7000 is 2550 with a free starter kit and free 3d dvd player.

I am completely in love with this set. The picture is so perfect and the blacks are awesome. I would definately not rule out this set. I would just buy from someplace that has a generous return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Why does no BB carry the gt30 or the d7000/d8000. I went to three and saw none.

Quote:

I'd like to hear more from the corner peelers since that is where a lot of peeling starts. When I touch my set, the corners are real cool.

I also sent a couple tweets to Samsung. I'm going to try to see if Samsung will interact with a samsung customers as a group. I figure the more attempts we make, the more likely we'll get to somebody in a position to answer questions.

Mine is the same. The corners are cool and the middle is warm to the touch. The TV is really not that warm. The peeling has gotten worse but not that much more. I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them.
post #118 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I returned the 59d7000 due to peeling and the second was worst. I then returned that one and got the 55gt30 with avatar 3d as gift due to issues from amazon and $100 credit for late shipping. I love the d7000 but the peel is widespread and am sure the ones who voted no, are dealing with 51 inch or 6500.

GT30 has better blacks as well
post #119 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Sam,

I believe that there is a DVD that you can run that'll get stuck or dead pixels to come back on.

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Jim, I'll check it out. I did however try the JScreenfix software and another pixel fixing program, does not seem to work.

Main Room
-Samsung PN64D7000 Plasma
--Sony BDP-S780 Blu Ray Player
---Directv DVR HR-23
----Belkin PF60 PureAV
-----Onkyo TX-NR 3008 Receiver
------Klipsch RC62 II Center
-------Klipsch RF82 II Fronts
--------Klipsch CDT-5660 In Ceiling Rear
---------Klipsch R-5650S In Wall Surround
----------Velodyne DEQ-15R Sub
-----------Buttkicker BK-LFE x2
------------Logitech Harmony 720
post #120 of 341 Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPapi1977 View Post

I returned the 59d7000 due to peeling and the second was worst. I then returned that one and got the 55gt30 with avatar 3d as gift due to issues from amazon and $100 credit for late shipping. I love the d7000 but the peel is widespread and am sure the ones who voted no, are dealing with 51 inch or 6500.

GT30 has better blacks as well

How do they compare to each other picture wise, and how much better are the blacks?? Would you choose the 7000 over the gt if there was no peeling issue??
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page