Revised Samsung D7000 and D8000 screen peeling poll - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Has your Samsung D7000 or D8000 peeled?
March 2011 built date.....Yes 0 0%
March 2011 built date......No 0 0%
April 2011 built date.......Yes 0 0%
April 2011 built date........No 0 0%
May 2011 built date.......Yes 0 0%
May 2011 built date........No 0 0%
June 2011 built date......Yes 0 0%
June 2011 built date.......No 0 0%
July 2011 built date.......Yes 0 0%
July 2011 built date........No 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

And even IF they did do your silly "we know it" what's the point? You ALREADY have the problem. All I can say is thank god you're not in the customer service industry, because if you where in charge you CSRs would just have a HARDER time with customers getting even more pissed when you make them say something that SERVES NO GOOD PURPOSE.

Golden rule customer service: listen, acknowledge customer problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempulse View Post

I said I wouldn't expect it to effect glare THAT much, meaning I'm sure I could live without it and so could many of the people with this issue if it means they won't have to return the product numerous times trying to get one that doesn't peel.

My question still hasn't been answered, has anyone even tried to peel the whole coating off?

then you'd just have the D6500 for all intents
post #183 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 08:33 AM

I created an account on the Samsung webpage and manually entered my service request. Service center will contact me in two days to schedule an appointment. Was very painless and didn't deal with any CSR stuff. I have a nice login and can see the status of my ticket online, etc. Very easy.

We'll see how the third-party technician goes.

Edit: repair shop already called within 2hrs of my ticket and set up an appt for Saturday; I was told the tech knows what the issue is and will bring the part he believes he needs with him. Very easy. The person I dealt with was just a scheduler and didn't know what the part was (I asked if it was a panel), but sounds like they've dealt with this before.
post #184 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post

Edit: repair shop already called within 2hrs of my ticket and set up an appt for Saturday; I was told the tech knows what the issue is and will bring the part he believes he needs with him. Very easy. The person I dealt with was just a scheduler and didn't know what the part was (I asked if it was a panel), but sounds like they've dealt with this before.

Interesting. Please report back as to how the fix goes and what is done.
post #185 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post

then you'd just have the D6500 for all intents

Perhaps a 64" D6500?
post #186 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sippelmc View Post

Thanks, ya. That certainly is a CSR script item; not worried about them much since I can reference many threads, give them other ticket numbers to x-reference, and also I read in another thread the actual search terms they need to use in their problem/resolution database. And it certainly isn't physical damage.

Gonna monitor my little bubble for the next week, see how it grows, then phone it in. I really suspect that its run its course and wont get significantly larger in the near-term, but 2 years from now who knows...

Will report on how it goes. My biggest fear is going through either (a) multiple iterations of panels with bubbles and lots of back and forth [I guess then its refund time] or (b) getting a good panel with something else that bugs me, like a dead pixel. Right now mine is so lovely...so perfect...such beautiful colors and uniformity....such wonderful darks w/detail....etc. Damn bubble.

I'd be willing to bet they fix their mfg process by Aug, but that's speculation. I doubt they want to be in a position that in 7 months everyone will be given upgrades to the 2012 version.

What thread and what were the search terms people should be giving to Samsung to describe the problem?
post #187 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I said I wouldn't expect it to effect glare THAT much, meaning I'm sure I could live without it and so could many of the people with this issue if it means they won't have to return the product numerous times trying to get one that doesn't peel.

My question still hasn't been answered, has anyone even tried to peel the whole coating off?

There has been at least one post by somebody who saw a peel when the set was delivered. The poster said he refused the delivery but allowed the delivery guys an opportunity to remove the film. They could not do it.
post #188 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 11:06 AM

I just got off the phone with a 'manager' over at Samsung customer service. She called me after I told a CSR through livechat to have a supervisor call me.
She was very nice, and seemed like she knew what she was talking about. I explained to her the problem and what other people are experiencing with the D7000 & D8000 64" & 59" plasma TVs.(peeling)

She told me she IS aware of the problem, and so are many of the much 'higher up' people(obviously). She said she has received several emails regarding this issue. In fact, she said right before calling me she received one from a customer regarding this same issue. She also explained that she believes it has just been a bad batch of TVs and that she expects future production of the 2011 TVs to be greatly improved in quality so this issue won't be an issue.

I was very surprised by her honesty and knowledge. I was expecting her to say the usual, "O NO I HAVENT HURD OF THIS PROBLAM???"

This is great news to me, as I am planning on purchasing a 59 D8000 in the next month or two.
post #189 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

What thread and what were the search terms people should be giving to Samsung to describe the problem?

I don't recall the thread (probably HDJ, CNET or here), but the best solution is that if you register the TV over their website it is instantly handled, plus you are supposed to get 3 months extended to your warranty if you register.

Here is my exact ticket request below. It was approved within 30 minutes. I think its pretty clear they know about it and are willing to address it. Big question is what are they going to do and how many replacement panels will I have to go through :

----

My Plasma has a mfg defect where the anti-glare coating is peeling off in the top right corner of the panel. The peel is now about a quarter of a nickel in size and pie shaped and enroaches on the live pixels of the display. There is no physical damage. The TV is never in direct sunlight. It is on the Samsung stand 8" away from the wall with plenty of ventilation/heat dissipation.

I believe this is a already reported issue with this series. See, e.g., someone else's Samsung ticket number is 4008299831. See also:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1342438

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_10...nt;contentMain

http://www.**************.com/showth...Peeling-Thread

Can you please tell me the next step to get this fixed? Contact via email is best.

Thank you.

[name]
post #190 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just got off the phone with a 'manager' over at Samsung customer service. She called me after I told a CSR through livechat to have a supervisor call me.
She was very nice, and seemed like she knew what she was talking about. I explained to her the problem and what other people are experiencing with the D7000 & D8000 64" & 59" plasma TVs.(peeling)

She told me she IS aware of the problem, and so are many of the much 'higher up' people(obviously). She said she has received several emails regarding this issue. In fact, she said right before calling me she received one from a customer regarding this same issue. She also explained that she believes it has just been a bad batch of TVs and that she expects future production of the 2011 TVs to be greatly improved in quality so this issue won't be an issue.

I was very surprised by her honesty and knowledge. I was expecting her to say the usual "O NO I HAVENT HURD OF THIS PROBLAM???"

This is great news to me, as I am planning on purchasing a 59 D8000 in the next month or two.

Great news. Thanks for sharing.
post #191 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just got off the phone with the service tech. The part they ordered was a new bezel. I told them it's not the bezel, it's the panel. The tech company said if that's the case, Samsung specifically said it's not covered because that is "physical damage." I'm not a happy camper. I'm allowing the tech to come over tomorrow to get pictures of the set (which will be difficult). I'm also in the midst of trying to get Samsung to amend the service order.
post #192 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just got off the phone with the service tech. The part they ordered was a new bezel. I told them it's not the bezel, it's the panel. The tech company said if that's the case, Samsung specifically said it's not covered because that is "physical damage." I'm not a happy camper. I'm allowing the tech to come over tomorrow to get pictures of the set (which will be difficult). I'm also in the midst of trying to get Samsung to amend the service order.
that just goes to show you.. they have no ideal what you are speaking of. They need to send out a tech if you are out of the exchange window (?).. you would be the only one I have heard of being called "physical Damage" and honestly I think you are making that part up.

Johnny
Klipsch,Denon,Parasound,Sunfire
post #193 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Yeah, like I just got my new Samsung TV, and it noticed that the HDMI outlets have all become charred and burnt since I first got the TV, and that's not covered because it's "physical damage."

agogley, this whole thing is so stupid, it's obviously not going to stick. I would chalk it up to the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing or talking about. I'm sure you'll be able to straighten it out.
post #194 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I just hope the service tech agrees with me. But you never know who is going to show up and what they'll think. I've been in an online chat with Samsung support for nearly an hour.
post #195 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Another update: Livechat person is telling me a supervisor can't call. Says they don't have that ability. They did take my photos and updated my service ticket so that the tech could look at my panel without threatening to make me pay. But after insisting five times, he said he'd elevate it to a supervisor.

So they updated my service ticket with an updated description of the problem but still wont admit they've heard of the problem.
post #196 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
I don't expect peeling it off is going to give very good results. Aside from the warranty issues, I would not recommend this path of action anytime soon -- if ever.
Peeling it off has already been tried by those who noticed the problem at delivery. It can't be done, at least not without taking off the bezel.
post #197 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Another update: Livechat person is telling me a supervisor can't call. Says they don't have that ability. They did take my photos and updated my service ticket so that the tech could look at my panel without threatening to make me pay. But after insisting five times, he said he'd elevate it to a supervisor.

So they updated my service ticket with an updated description of the problem but still wont admit they've heard of the problem.
Someone called me, and the way she addressed the problem and spoke of how 'they' are trying to fix it sounded to me like upper management, not some CSR. She sounded very competent and knowledgeable about the problem. No one has to believe that this conversation took place, but it did. Just trying to give you guys some hope.

The person called from 1-864-254-9600, Greenville, SC. If I recall correctly she said call back anytime if I have any other issues or concerns.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-864-254-9600/2
post #198 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Someone called me, and the way she addressed the problem and spoke of how 'they' are trying to fix it sounded to me like upper management, not some CSR. She sounded very competent and knowledgeable about the problem. No one has to believe that this conversation took place, but it did. Just trying to give you guys some hope.
Hope you are right.. It's a big enough of an issue.. we all know they know...it's protocol to deny ofcourse.

Johnny
post #199 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The person called from 1-864-254-9600, Greenville, SC. If I recall correctly she said call back anytime if I have any other issues or concerns.

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-864-254-9600/2
It would give me more hope if they wouldn't threaten to make me pay for the service calls.
post #200 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
Hope you are right.. It's a big enough of an issue.. we all know they know...it's protocol to deny ofcourse.
I was very appreciative of her honesty. When the live chat CSR told me to expect a call within 24-48 business I was expecting just another numb skull CSR to tell me NoPE NVR HEARD OF THAT.
post #201 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would give me more hope if they wouldn't threaten to make me pay for the service calls.
Honestly how you going to pay for service calls... you are under the 1 year warranty. You Sir have either the worst luck or you are fabricating just a little.

Johnny
post #202 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Honestly how you going to pay for service calls... you are under the 1 year warranty. You Sir have either the worst luck or you are fabricating just a little.
I believe if they come out and determine it is "physical damage"
then you are liable for the service call, maybe that is what he is referring to.
post #203 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDLVR View Post
I believe if they come out and determine it is "physical damage"
then you are liable for the service call, maybe that is what he is referring to.
baseball bat behind the door in that case.... honestly no way that happens

Johnny
post #204 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well, if one of my kids hit the screen with a shoe for example (somebody posted that on avsforum not long ago) then I'd be forced to pay for a service call because that's obviously not covered under the one year warranty.

Samsung is trying to cover their bases by making sure I know I'm not covered for something like that. But the tech read it as if nothing related to the panel is covered because Samsung made anything related to the panel as physical damage by definition. So I called Samsung to get that corrected. The tech is coming tomorrow so I'll report back.
post #205 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 PM

Alright, now I have a real gem of a conversation with a CSR via Live Chat.

Chat Information Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Mathew M'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK538097665X

Mathew M: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?

Jeff: Hi Mathew, I'm messaging you regarding the common issue of screen peeling on the PND7000, and PND8000 59" and 64" Plasma TVs.

Jeff: The coating on the screen which is put on to prevent excessive glaring is peeling off on numerous customers sets.

Mathew M: Thank you for the information.

Jeff: I know you and your company have knowledge of this recurring problem as I'm sure I'm not the first customer you have encountered with this problem.

Mathew M: I understand the situation.

Jeff: I talked with someone from a call center in Greensville, NC today and she seemed to be a supervisor. Or definitely someone who is running things in the call center. She said she is aware of this problem and has received quite a few emails regarding this problem.

Mathew M: Okay.

Jeff: My question to you is, do you know of any possible fixes in the near future for this common problem?

Jeff: For instance, if I were to wait a few months and order my TV. Do you think the newer built/later production dated TV's will have this issue sorted out and fixed?

Jeff: Because I would really like to purchase from Samsung, I am just not really one for returning a TV 3 or 4 times for such an easy fix in the production line.

Mathew M: I understand that, this issue is reported issue for the above models.

Mathew M: This issue can be resolved through normal repair service.

Mathew M: Could you please provide me the complete model number of the unit?

Jeff: You admit that you have had other customers reporting this problem as well?

Mathew M: As per our database the above models are affected for this type of issues.

Mathew M: I will the service request behalf of you.

Jeff: You are saying others, besides me have reported their D7000 and D8000 as having screen peeling issues?

Mathew M: Yes, you are correct.

Mathew M: It will be soon resolved by our development team engineers.

Mathew M: They are working on the following issue.

Jeff: So if I were buy a D8000 plasma in the next 3 or 4 months, after the problem has been addressed and/or fixed. Peeling should not be an issue?

Mathew M: As of now, our engineers are working on this issue, I am not sure about the time frame.
post #206 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ good stuff

Johnny
post #207 of 341 Old 07-12-2011, 08:11 PM

How do you find the exact manufacture date? I remember someone mentioning that you can get it on their website. I registered the tv and still can't seem to find the date.
post #208 of 341 Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 AM

It auto-populates according to your s/n. On the website, go to open a repair ticket, where the s/n field is, there will be a parenthetical that shows the mfg date derived from the s/n. You wont actually open the ticket, but it should show on the first screen of the wizard. Mine shows May 31, 2011 (which, btw, is likely impossible, b/c I ordered it May 25, unless it shipped straight from Mexico when it was built). The TV itself shows May 2011 on the sticker. I wouldn't be surprised if they just "round up" to the last day of the month, but would be interested in hearing the full date of others.
post #209 of 341 Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 AM

Is the s/n on the box different from the actual tv? I still do not get any date. Is there a way to decipher the s/n to determine production date?
post #210 of 341 Old 07-13-2011, 06:42 AM

Yes, you use the s/n on the TV, on the back of the panel. Don't use the box. If you're using the TV already, maybe double check it?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page