post #61 of 72 Old 07-11-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

My Apple computer supports Flash just like any other. Are you speaking of iPads? Those don't support Flash but a lot of content has been ported over to the more modern HTML5 standard which is supported (notably YouTube).

Yes. And iTouch/iPhones. I don't know about a lot of content as I repeatedly run into issues when I use my Touch against sites which only do Flash and I can't see anything on the page.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Liked: 11
Well, this is all very interesting, but Pioneer doesn't make the sets anymore and opining as to why isn't going to change that. Why not focus on what comes next and what you view as the product that will get you to open your wallet?
post #63 of 72 Old 07-13-2011, 12:14 PM

So, as an owner of an 1150 who is contemplating selling this display, to "downsize" to a 42" plasma or LED, which direction should I head knowing how floored I still am to this day with the Elite Kuro?

I Golf
post #64 of 72 Old 07-13-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post

Well, this is all very interesting, but Pioneer doesn't make the sets anymore and opining as to why isn't going to change that. Why not focus on what comes next and what you view as the product that will get you to open your wallet?

I agree. Pioneer is no longer making Plasma TV's. GET OVER IT!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #65 of 72 Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

I agree. Pioneer is no longer making Plasma TV's. GET OVER IT!

Ian

I can't Ian, it's one of the biggest disappointments of my gadget life. I thought for sure when I bought my Pioneer 6070 that my next one would be an 80" Pioneer Kuro. It's tragic. It's hard to believe. I don't want to accept it.

I'm joking, but I'm not joking.
post #66 of 72 Old 07-14-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonian View Post

I can't Ian, it's one of the biggest disappointments of my gadget life. I thought for sure when I bought my Pioneer 6070 that my next one would be an 80" Pioneer Kuro. It's tragic. It's hard to believe. I don't want to accept it.

I'm joking, but I'm not joking.

Sorry to hear that. I really do feel your pain.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #67 of 72 Old 07-14-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

post #68 of 72 Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 AM
Advanced Member

The Pioneers seemed pretty popular once the KRP-500M and KRP-600M hit the market and could be had for 1/2 the price of the Elites.

There was an enthusiast market for these TVs at a certain price point, but Pioneer was set up to sell the TVs in to the luxury market.

On the showroom floor, the sales pitch is hard as most of the TVs aren't configured the way they should be, or the signals being fed to them are inferior, etc. These TVs are best in as controlled lighting home theater setup, but it's the bright/sharp/colorful TV's that attract the eye. It doesn't help that Plasma had a bad reputation for a number of problems, whereas LCD had certain inherent benefits such as lower-power, brighter screens, no worries about burn-in/computer usage.

In other words, we all know why Plasma is a terrific technology, but how many of us never bothered to try to convince our relatives of this because we realized it wouldn't make any difference to them?

So, IMO, given Pioneer's approach they're really better off just staying out of the business until something comes along to really shake up the market where someone walking in to the store can't help but notice their TV on the wall and dream of being able to afford it. Will OLED be able to do this? Or maybe the opportunity is just gone and most people just aren't going to spend $6000 on a TV anymore.

In a sense, I hope they don't try to return with the same business model and that if there's innovation to be done, it's done by a company that isn't going to charge twice the price for a different anti-glare filter, name badge, and s/w access to s/w features that let the TV actually display its best image. A company that will sell through discount retailers and still offer a full warranty.

We love our Pioneers, but all their layers to support their high-end luxury sales never did a thing for me. It sure didn't fix the RGB bug.
post #69 of 72 Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Just got word from what is usually a very reliable source (high end Samsung dealer who used to carry Pioneer also)... Pioneer is coming back with new Plasmas... Late August/Setember... Panels themselves will be manufactured by Samsung, electronics unknown, he guesses they won't contain Kuro technology due to Panasonic now owning the patents, but he said there is very little word/tech specs... Pricing/Sizes not yet available, but he expects to get this info early August.

Can a relaunch of Pioneer Plasmas like this be kept so quiet from the webz?
post #70 of 72 Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Liked: 12
This is just my opinion as a regular guy and I mean no disrespect to anyone else, but I think everyone gives Pioneer a little too much credit and not enough to Panasonic and even Samsung.

Let's face it, Pioneer was not able to move enough plasmas because Panasonic and to a lessor extent, Samsung also made excellent Plasmas and were cheaper.

9 out of 10 times, I'm sure people looked at Pioneer and thought it was a little, tiny bit better, but the Panasonic next to it was also awesome and cheaper. I know one HDTV enthusiast who is very well off and loves plasma, he owns a Panasonic in his man cave.

Just saying even people with lots of money, love to save money.
post #71 of 72 Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyislesfan View Post

This is just my opinion as a regular guy and I mean no disrespect to anyone else, but I think everyone gives Pioneer a little too much credit and not enough to Panasonic and even Samsung.

Let's face it, Pioneer was not able to move enough plasmas because Panasonic and to a lessor extent, Samsung also made excellent Plasmas and were cheaper.

9 out of 10 times, I'm sure people looked at Pioneer and thought it was a little, tiny bit better, but the Panasonic next to it was also awesome and cheaper. I know one HDTV enthusiast who is very well off and loves plasma, he owns a Panasonic in his man cave.

Just saying even people with lots of money, love to save money.

Anyone who looks at both and thinks the Kuro is "a tiny bit better" should just buy an lcd.
post #72 of 72 Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post

Vizio is the #1 hdtv seller right now. Do I have to say anymore....

90% of the electronic consumers either don't care about the best, can't afford the best or have no idea what makes the best the best. They see 1080p or some other number and assume that is all that matters. Yeah a Ferrari has a V8 and so does an old station wagon. Does that mean they perform the same?? Its such a stupid numbers game, consumers are stupid and uneducated. Like people quoting dynamic contrast ratios, Oooh this is one trillion to one OMG!! Makes you wonder if they just pick numbers out of a hat.

Pioneer would have run all the other companies out of town if they could have produced the Kuros at a competitive price. Once you hit the $3K+ mark, I would imagine your customer base starts to shrivel up. At that point you need to either be rich or a REAL enthusiast to think about spending that much on a tv. I don't even know one person who calibrates their tv after they take it out of the box, and these people are going to care enough to spend a premium price on a tv??

I agree with this. But the only thing I think is innacurate, is the fact that you say "assume that is all that matters". For the mainstream market, there are three categories: 1. Cheap electronics with more features 2. Brand name electronics with less features 3. Brand name electronics with bells and whistles.

People who buy #1, are just happy that they have a damn TV. If it has 1080p, they probably don't care about that feature anyways. For them, the size of the TV, the price and the fact that it works are the only standards they care about. This is considered entry-level, and is a large bulk of sales each year. There is little electronics education here, or very few that do. Smart buy, will work for a while and is great for cable TV, and plays blu ray at 1080p. Hell they pobably don't notice or care about the difference between DVD and Bluray.

People who buy #2, want to buy a known brand name based on longevity and higher quality. They will sacrifice and get 720p, but be happy that they spent a bit more on something that will last. They will jump on the opportunity when they see a 1080p toshiba on clearance. This, to the population is considered mainstream and is the main bulk of sales. The education of people in TV and electronics here is limited, and big shiny numbers / marketing make a big difference.

People who buy #3, either have money, have no electronics knowledge, or hang out on this forum too much. This category is why there are electronic stores, with salespeople who cram numbers in your head, whisper rehearsed and tactical words in your wallet and put up large displays with colorful and rich content you will 99.9% likely never watch at home. The features of the screens here have all the main features of the year and usually mainly appeal to people who must have the best, or have been convinced that these features are necessary to the survival of their social status among friends, along with the "what if I regret not getting this feature a year down the road?". (that's totally me ) Marketing is the flagship for this category, without it, it would perrish very quickly.

According to my friend who works in electronics sales here (future shop), most $1500 TV's or over, were sold to people who only had the intention of purchasing a $1000 TV. Without the displays and eye candy, it would be very hard to sell these. TV's over $2000 move very slowly. The average sale is between $600 and $800 and the hottest sales are 42" screens.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page