2011 LG XXPV450 and 400 Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the difference between zoom and cinema zoom? I can quantify the slight difference I see on the screen, but which should be used for presentation of a widescreen material which is non-anamporphic, which has the image "postage stamped?" The most correct setting on my Panasonic was zoom, which would fill the entire screen, but lose a little off the sides. It seems neither the zoom nor cinema zoom on the LG gets rid of the black bars on the top and bottom on non-anamporphic widescreen. Par for the course on this set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I just did the Pots adjustment as Sarge described (set_up clockwise all the way and Vs one tick counter clockwise)....and what a freakin' difference! It is not perfect inky black like, but damn is it noticeably better. Holy Jeebus. By a good amount too. It looks like there is more "depth" in the picture. Not necessarily more details....just a lot more natural than before. I wish I can explain it better but it's beautiful. As for my settings, I am using Cinema mode with contrast at 60 and everything else 50. I tried BN's settings but they just don't look right on my TV (loss of details). I might try BNs settings again (might have made a mistake inputting them). The adjustments are ridiculously easy to do...and much faster when you have help!

First off there were 3 more screws I had to remove compared to the diagram in the training manual on one of the links posted earlier. There was a small screw at the top center of the back cover, and 2 more screws at the bottom near the stand (1 on each side). There are different size screws so be careful not to mix them! I printed out the diagram that shows the 29 screws and literally taped each screw to the arrow on the diagram not to screw it up.

Second, the Vs pot is slightly different than the set_up pot in that it is a cross with 2 dots beside one of the arms on the cross. I adjusted that counter clockwise 1 tick and ran some color slides. Everything was perfect.

Third, the set_up pot has an arrow which was turned clockwise all the way (which was barely 90 degrees...the arrow points to around 2 o'clock for me not).

I was able to remove the back cover without taking the TV off the stand. The swivel stand came in handy big time hehe. I unplugged the TV just in case and only turned it on after the adjustment was made.
I'm going to play some PS3 and XBOX 360 tonight then pop in a few movies tomorrow.

Sarge and all, thanks for posting this adjustment! I always loved the colors of this TV and now it's so much better! It is too difficult to capture the color difference on an iPhone camera but I will take some pics when I have a chance to try to show the deeper blacks.

I feel like I have to rewatch all my movies again! Can't wait to see my wife's reaction...if she notices a difference then that says it all hehe.

e
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post

Hi Guys,

I just did the Pots adjustment as Sarge described (set_up clockwise all the way and Vs one tick counter clockwise)....and what a freakin' difference! It is not perfect inky black like, but damn is it noticeably better. Holy Jeebus. By a good amount too. It looks like there is more "depth" in the picture. Not necessarily more details....just a lot more natural than before. I wish I can explain it better but it's beautiful. As for my settings, I am using Cinema mode with contrast at 60 and everything else 50. I tried BN's settings but they just don't look right on my TV (loss of details). I might try BNs settings again (might have made a mistake inputting them). The adjustments are ridiculously easy to do...and much faster when you have help!

First off there were 3 more screws I had to remove compared to the diagram in the training manual on one of the links posted earlier. There was a small screw at the top center of the back cover, and 2 more screws at the bottom near the stand (1 on each side). There are different size screws so be careful not to mix them! I printed out the diagram that shows the 29 screws and literally taped each screw to the arrow on the diagram not to screw it up.

Second, the Vs pot is slightly different than the set_up pot in that it is a cross with 2 dots beside one of the arms on the cross. I adjusted that counter clockwise 1 tick and ran some color slides. Everything was perfect.

Third, the set_up pot has an arrow which was turned clockwise all the way (which was barely 90 degrees...the arrow points to around 2 o'clock for me not).

I was able to remove the back cover without taking the TV off the stand. The swivel stand came in handy big time hehe. I unplugged the TV just in case and only turned it on after the adjustment was made.
I'm going to play some PS3 and XBOX 360 tonight then pop in a few movies tomorrow.

Sarge and all, thanks for posting this adjustment! I always loved the colors of this TV and now it's so much better! It is too difficult to capture the color difference on an iPhone camera but I will take some pics when I have a chance to try to show the deeper blacks.

I feel like I have to rewatch all my movies again! Can't wait to see my wife's reaction...if she notices a difference then that says it all hehe.

e

Great News! Glad you took the plunge, its like a whole new TV isn't it?!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Great News! Glad you took the plunge, its like a whole new TV isn't it?!

Yup! I watched Nightmare Before Christmas yesterday and I was blown away. You really notice the difference when there is a mix of colors and blacks (instead of mainly grayscale). I now understand while bluray reviews usually discuss black levels because there were some scenes in NBC that were not as black as others. But overall the bluray was freakin' beautiful! I don't think I ever spontaneously smiled in the middle of a movie but I swear I did yesterday because of how nice it looked. My brother and I modified his 60pk250 during our lunch break and the results were equally stunning on his TV! The Pots on the PK250 were upside down compared to ours but the procedure was exactly the same. Awesome. We can literally do it in less than 15 minutes now. The fastest way is to put the TV on its stand and have full access to the back cover (instead of what I did where I kept swiveling the panel to access each side and leaning over to reach some of the screws in the center).

On a side note, a 60" TV is like...twice the size of a 50". I'm always blown away every time I see my bro's 60" (versus my 50PV450).

Anyway, I will likely game some more tonight. Apparently the TV will get even "blacker" over time. Sweet!

emmsys
Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
well for those who care i posted few posts back that my 60pv450 had a intermentent flicker, so i got my 2nd one and it does the same thing, maybe worse. i cant believe that no one else has noticed this... i have all energy stuff off and changed out the hdmi cables. it does it on all sources, i am watching football right now and it is driving me crazy. if i play dvd's at 24p it is not as bad, but still there.... dont understand that...

first tv was july build, 2nd october, so i dont think getting a 3rd one would make a difference.

on this tv now it has a vertical stripe just left of center on slides and have noticed it on programming but not bad.

now i cant watch anything without looking for the flicker, to be clear it changes the brightness and also the color.

could this be the ABL? also kinda seems like the panny FBr problem...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

well for those who care i posted few posts back that my 60pv450 had a intermentent flicker, so i got my 2nd one and it does the same thing, maybe worse. i cant believe that no one else has noticed this... i have all energy stuff off and changed out the hdmi cables. it does it on all sources, i am watching football right now and it is driving me crazy. if i play dvd's at 24p it is not as bad, but still there.... dont understand that...

first tv was july build, 2nd october, so i dont think getting a 3rd one would make a difference.

on this tv now it has a vertical stripe just left of center on slides and have noticed it on programming but not bad.

now i cant watch anything without looking for the flicker, to be clear it changes the brightness and also the color.

could this be the ABL? also kinda seems like the panny FBr problem...

You know, it could be ABL, and if thats the case, then you would notice it on most if not all brands I would suppose. I think I understand what you are describing, however I don't notice it in normal content. I can see a fluctuation in brightness on my DISH guide that has a small preview window in the upper right corner. If the content in that window changes from dark to bright or vice versa I can see a small flicker on my guide below. Again, however, I don't notice it on normal content at all. Is this your first plasma?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You know, it could be ABL, and if thats the case, then you would notice it on most if not all brands I would suppose. I think I understand what you are describing, however I don't notice it in normal content. I can see a fluctuation in brightness on my DISH guide that has a small preview window in the upper right corner. If the content in that window changes from dark to bright or vice versa I can see a small flicker on my guide below. Again, however, I don't notice it on normal content at all. Is this your first plasma?

no this is my third plasma, have not seen this in my other ones, my last one was a 42px80u. it is great.

this is really bothering me, im watching my 3rd dvd and see it on all of them, if i put it to 24p it all but goes away, but i see it on dish too. also that verticle strip is visible once in awhile. the flicker is what bothers me tho. im in the process of doing the pot tweak now, seem to be not seeing a screw somewhere....

edit- i did the pot tweak, well turning set up all the way causes severe uniformity issues, on color slides there is all kinds of vert. colorations. so i put it back to stock.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

lifesun or jukebox do you have the dark knight on dvd? if so about 31 min 30 sec in i think a helicopter flies over water, it is really present there the flickering.

thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

ok i just do not think i can ignore the flicker, i will prolly just return the set and keep using my 42in panny or get the 50st30. i had high hopes for this set, damn it... oh and the vertical band just left of center is annoying also....this set is worst than the first one...maybe a miraculously it will happen and it will settle in, doubt it.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:16 AM

Hi Guys,

Something weird is going on with my 60pv250 that i actually also experienced a few times on my old PS8000.

Sometimes the TV will not turn on Actually the red standby light is not even on. I then have to unplug the power cord from the tv and back in to get it to work. Sometimes more than once. This does not happen every time but has probably happened 5 times in the month i have owned the TV. Also, most times you turn the tv off, after it is off it will "click" 2-4 times. by clicking i mean the same sound it makes when you turn it on.

My old PS8000 set had the same odd behaviour but not as much as this.

I did the pot adjustments only a week after purchasing the TV and i believe that this happened once before that. Could adjusting the pots have made it worse?

Should I have a technichian look at it? What should i do?

Regards
Jacob
Old 11-07-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylle View Post

Hi Guys,

Something weird is going on with my 60pv250 that i actually also experienced a few times on my old PS8000.

Sometimes the TV will not turn on Actually the red standby light is not even on. I then have to unplug the power cord from the tv and back in to get it to work. Sometimes more than once. This does not happen every time but has probably happened 5 times in the month i have owned the TV. Also, most times you turn the tv off, after it is off it will "click" 2-4 times. by clicking i mean the same sound it makes when you turn it on.

My old PS8000 set had the same odd behaviour but not as much as this.

I did the pot adjustments only a week after purchasing the TV and i believe that this happened once before that. Could adjusting the pots have made it worse?

Should I have a technichian look at it? What should i do?

Regards
Jacob

You state that you had this issue with another set before this? Is the LG using the same outlet as the other set? If so, you may have a voltage/power issue at that location. I would suggest you get a power conditioner or a UPS with voltage regulation and see if it clears it up......
Old 11-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:

ok i just do not think i can ignore the flicker, i will prolly just return the set and keep using my 42in panny or get the 50st30. i had high hopes for this set, damn it... oh and the vertical band just left of center is annoying also....this set is worst than the first one...maybe a miraculously it will happen and it will settle in, doubt it.

I finally saw it with regular programming............thanks for pointing it out! LOL, Its there, but its subtle, and I only noticed once during a bluray movie, and once during a 1 hour HD program via DISH. I could repeat it over and over with my DISH DVR once I saw it during one scene, picture settings seem to have no effect on it at all. I suspect that its ABL because I only see it on bright scenes. When looking at videos of the Fluctuating Brightness issues on the new Panasonics.......it looks almost identical though..........and Panasonic has a fix for it.

It took me awhile to see what you were talking about, but its not enough of an issue to bother me too much, especially when I consider the price I paid for my 60 inch set......
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:

You state that you had this issue with another set before this? Is the LG using the same outlet as the other set? If so, you may have a voltage/power issue at that location. I would suggest you get a power conditioner or a UPS with voltage regulation and see if it clears it up......

Hi Lifesun,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes. It is using the same outlet. I will try another outlet and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Jacob
Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

ok, I'm going try these adjustments. Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Hey Guys,

I just ordered the 60PV250 from Dell last night on the current Sale they are having.

My Mitsu Diamond WD-57833 DLP has been having issues lately. The light engine seems to have gone bad suck because the set was only about 4 years old but I guess that the breaks haha.

I was going to hold off for black Friday but under 1k for a 60" 1080P Plasma was just to good to pass up on and at least now I got it early and dont have to fight for something haha.

My set should be here sometime next week and I think I am going to do the pot adjustment right away. I had my old DLP taken fully apart last weekend with light engine parts all over my living room so this shouldn't be a big deal to do.

You guys have me excited about my new TV and cant wait to get it and start tweaking!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Just so you know the lg pv250 is an Australian/European model of the pv450 . I had ordered one also but cancelled when I found out it was the Au/Eur version because of several diff specs like the tuner being pal/dvb and its made for 50hz not 60 hz. I know its a great price but do some research and see if you can deal with the difference. Dell should have mentioned the specs but...thats Dell for you.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorider View Post

Just so you know the lg pv250 is an Australian/European model of the pv450 . I had ordered one also but cancelled when I found out it was the Au/Eur version because of several diff specs like the tuner being pal/dvb and its made for 50hz not 60 hz. I know its a great price but do some research and see if you can deal with the difference. Dell should have mentioned the specs but...thats Dell for you.

I knew it was a model sold in Europe however I assumed because dell was selling it that it would work here without an issue. I will not use the TV's built in Tuner so I figured it would not be an issue for me.

I did talk to them about this on the phone before I ordered the set and they assured me it would work without an issue and if I did have an issue they would take the TV as a return. The person also said that when dell posted the TV they could have just copied it from the Euro site and I would actually be getting a 450.

I do have a documented ticket that they will take back the TV at no cost to me if it does not work to cover my own butt. Because you can't trust what a CS rep who doesn't really know TV's so I wanted to make sure I was covered.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM

Anyone here know how the LG 50PV450 rates vs the Panny TCP50S30 and Sammy PN51D530???
Old 11-16-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

be aware these tv's have a brightness and color fluctuation problem. has been confirmed by one other person that had 2 of these as i did....
Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM

Most likely due to energy saver sensor being on.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techowiz View Post

Most likely due to energy saver sensor being on.

no not the case...im not a newb, all that stuff was off...
Old 11-16-2011, 03:29 PM

I've seen (3) of these sets, with 0 issues... Not sure what's going on.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techowiz View Post

I've seen (3) of these sets, with 0 issues... Not sure what's going on.

i saw it on all sources, but a sure way to see it is to watch football, the grass will change in color and the whole picture changes in brightness, sometimes back and forth several times.... i was surprised too as i got this set because i did not read of any faults like this.. getting a 60st30 now, and hoping its a good one.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:28 PM
rfr

Quote:

i saw it on all sources, but a sure way to see it is to watch football, the grass will change in color and the whole picture changes in brightness, sometimes back and forth several times.... i was surprised too as i got this set because i did not read of any faults like this.. getting a 60st30 now, and hoping its a good one.

I've seen it too, though probably not as severely as the original poster. It is most apparent to me while watching football (the English kind with actual involvement of the foot). I have all the obvious suspects turned off too. Except I occasionally turn on orbiter anti-IR. I doubt this has anything to do with what I see.

I live in an old San Francisco flat with extremely antiquated electricity. This might be part of the cause in conjunction with a possibly poor power supply in the TV. (In spite of the electrical problems, I've never seen noticeable variability in any other electronic device, except light bulbs, refrigerator, etc.)

As much as I dislike the time and trouble involved in returning the TV (to Amazon), it'll be necessary if the problem continues or gets worse. If returning it were not such a pain in the ass, I would already have done so.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr View Post

I've seen it too, though probably not as severely as the original poster. It is most apparent to me while watching football (the English kind with actual involvement of the foot). I have all the obvious suspects turned off too. Except I occasionally turn on orbiter anti-IR. I doubt this has anything to do with what I see.

I live in an old San Francisco flat with extremely antiquated electricity. This might be part of the cause in conjunction with a possibly poor power supply in the TV. (In spite of the electrical problems, I've never seen noticeable variability in any other electronic device, except light bulbs, refrigerator, etc.)

As much as I dislike the time and trouble involved in returning the TV (to Amazon), it'll be necessary if the problem continues or gets worse. If returning it were not such a pain in the ass, I would already have done so.

I am noticing this more often myself. It was really bad on a DVR episode of House my wife and I watched last night. There was a light gray background in one of the scenes and it kept getting lighter and darker over an over again. Still an awesome set for the price I paid, however, I have a bigger issue with this set that I didn't realize would be so much of a problem.......glare and the panel getting washed out with light on in the room. Not thinking, I figured my wife and I could enjoy movies in complete darkness like we always have.......except we have a 5 month old now and she likes the lights on! So, I am moving my 60pv450 down to our basement area and have a 60st30 on the way from Amazon, should handle the glare better and hopefully it won't have FBR.....
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I have a bigger issue with this set that I didn't realize would be so much of a problem.......glare and the panel getting washed out with light on in the room. I am moving my 60pv450 down to our basement area and have a 60st30 on the way from Amazon, should handle the glare better and hopefully it won't have FBR.....

Why is the glare so bad on the LG but other plasmas are not affected? It's like the 60pv450 has a mirror on the front...
Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belewmoon View Post

Why is the glare so bad on the LG but other plasmas are not affected? It's like the 60pv450 has a mirror on the front...

The pv450 has no glare filter at all I am pretty sure. I was aware of this, but am used to having the lights off at night while watching movies....
Old 11-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Has making the adjustments to the rear tv panel affected anyone's tv in how it handles red and orange? I didn't notice this before, but it possibly has nothing to do with me adjusting the Set Up, when I was watching a Chiefs game the red uniforms really bled, same with the Bears wearing orange jerseys. Directv HD box connected to my 60PV450. I'm guessing this is just an issue with red and orange in general, I know they're not tv friendly colors when concentrated, hoping I don't need to take the back off the panel again.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:40 PM

Hi - I love this TV - I have one problem, my favorite sport - HOCKEY!! (Go Sharks!) looks crappy on the wide shots - too DARK!

I have the energy saving OFF, dynamic contrast OFF.
I am in 1080 16:9 - feed is Comcast Xfinity HD DVR

Notice I said WIDE shots (90% of the play by play)
On the closer shots and other sports (football/golf etc WITHOUT the large white ice background) the contrast seems great.
But the hockey games with the large white ice background seem to make the AI in this TV scale back the contrast (despite my settings disabling all (?) relevant power saving, dynamic contrast etc)

I read there is some posting by Sarge to open the TV and tune HW - will this help out my hockey contrast issue?
Or can any other 60PV450 owners offer advice on this?

thanks,
Fletch
Old 11-18-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch00 View Post

Hi - I love this TV - I have one problem, my favorite sport - HOCKEY!! (Go Sharks!) looks crappy on the wide shots - too DARK!

I have the energy saving OFF, dynamic contrast OFF.
I am in 1080 16:9 - feed is Comcast Xfinity HD DVR

Notice I said WIDE shots (90% of the play by play)
On the closer shots and other sports (football/golf etc WITHOUT the large white ice background) the contrast seems great.
But the hockey games with the large white ice background seem to make the AI in this TV scale back the contrast (despite my settings disabling all (?) relevant power saving, dynamic contrast etc)

I read there is some posting by Sarge to open the TV and tune HW - will this help out my hockey contrast issue?
Or can any other 60PV450 owners offer advice on this?

thanks,
Fletch

no, its part of the technology. Plasma tv's have issues showing full screen whites as it takes tons of power and voltage. More white there is on the screen, dimmer it gets.

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung , Lg , Plasma Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com