2011 LG XXPV450 and 400 Owner's Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #601 of 851 Old 01-03-2012, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding the post about the settings listed a bit ago. If you keep going into the expert settings, then go to the IRE and enter this it should have all the fields listed. Need to go into all the different settings 5-100. The first 3 or 4 settings vary, but the last few settings for the G/B/R are almost all the same if you look, so you can copy it across the board. I did this by accidentally hitting the copy button listed and it populated everything. This mistake actually saved me so time. All I had to mess with were the initial settings listed. Keep in mind that after I did this I then went into Picture Wizard and made some adjustments, as well as a slight tweak or two here and there. Different strokes, but if you like what you see go with it. Overall I'm very pleased with my picture across the board with TV, BluRay, and gaming.
I do noticed the pulse mentioned in this forum. It's very minor on my set. Only time I notice it is when either the background is a predominate color, or a random scene shifts. Again, this is not all the time, and I have to really be looking to notice it. If it's a mostly white background it seems to happen the most, and while watching a bball game (Go UofL!) I noticed it when the camera pulled out for a wider shot. From reading what others have said I'm wondering if this is a voltage issue? Would tweaking the pots related to the voltage help out at all? DOn't want to fry anything. Any ideas, or advice on other places to look for input? Don't know if it's a big enough issue to get the board replaced as mentioned, but if it's covered why not if it helps.

Overall very pleased and the pulse issue is minor and only amplified after I read about it and really looking for it. Extremely happy with it so far!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 851 Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM

Hiya all. I'm also a new purchaser of a shiny 50pv400 thanks to Boxing Day sales. It finally arrived, and thing thing could not be any sweeter.

I've got a question about the whole burn-in phenomenon. I've read over the thread and various other articles about plasmas and burn-in, but I'm still a little worried about the whole thing. I've noticed that even having the menu screen on for just 60 seconds is enough to leave an afterimage. It's only noticable on a completely black screen, and the colour wash always fixes it right up. But even knowing that this is perfectly normal, it still leaves me skittish. Is it really crucial to pay attention to the first 100 hours of use? I've been babying this thing, and what I've noticed is that there are a lot of watermarks and black bars all over TV. I'm almost afraid to use this thing, lest I look away for a moment and completely ruin the screen for good.

So are there any tips for dealing with the whole initiation into the world of plasmas? Should I go find a burn-in disc to help warm this thing up?
post #603 of 851 Old 01-04-2012, 05:26 AM

I got my TV 2 days ago from Sears. I like the Vivid setting but get flickering brightness. If I turn off dynamic contrast it stops. If I use standard with dynamic contrast on low it stops. Could this be a problem with the mainboard?
Some content it is not a problem.

What is recommended for breakin? I have the breakin dvd download from this site, are there instructions for how and how long to run it?

Tech support at LG said it should not be doing that and it will get worse. That I should exchange or have it repaired. Sears said they will swap it out tomorrow.
post #604 of 851 Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Looks like most people who correctly calibrated their LG plasmas do not have problems with brightness flickering. It cost me $30 to calibrate my 50pk550 with a used spyder 2 from ebay. It just takes alot of time learning and finding out the correct way to do so.
If you don't want to shell out money calibrating, the cinema setting is pretty close to a calibrated picture. However, it is too dark for daytime viewing. The standard setting is also not bad, because its an in between for Vivid and Cinema. The main board should not be the problem, its just that these new plasmas have ABL that dims the picture if there's too much white on screen. You can lower the effects by lowering the contrast, but you'll need to do a greyscale calibration to get a better picture. Have you tried black noire's settings or just the built in picture wizard? Some ppl had good luck with other tv's settings, but picture settings are usually non transferrable. If you like a really bright vivid picture plasma might not be ur choice of tv.
post #605 of 851 Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just ordered a 50PV400. Looking forward to tweaking it and seeing how it works. I've been slumming it with a 42-inch magnovox LCD for the past 2 years with flakey HDMI ports. We'll be using it with DirectTV and a Wii.
post #606 of 851 Old 01-04-2012, 04:07 PM

Need some advice in setting up audio output:

I purchased a digital to analog audio converter from Amazon and hooked it up to the optical audio out in the back of the TV, I connected the analog output to a pair of speakers, but all I can get are some "white noise".

also connected the analog out to a receiver then output to a different pair of speakers, I got the same "white noise" only and no audio from the TV.

Is there a setting in the TV to set the audio out to stereo mode only (for left & right speakers only)? I had read that I can use this digital to analog audio converter to output the audio from TV to analog speakers(or analog-receiver + speakers), but I am unable to get it to work.

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
post #607 of 851 Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM

Hi, just bought the PV400..set it up with BN's settings..looks very very nice and deep.

I was wondering any back lighting suggestions you would suggest. I prefer the inexpensive types, like rope lighting, or LED strips..any ideas?
post #608 of 851 Old 01-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodom76 View Post

Hi, just bought the PV400..set it up with BN's settings..looks very very nice and deep.

I was wondering any back lighting suggestions you would suggest. I prefer the inexpensive types, like rope lighting, or LED strips..any ideas?

Hi Bodom,

My brother and I recently installed cheap LED bias lighting. I have a 50PV450 and he has a 60PK550. We ordered cheap 30cm (5050 SMD 15 LEDs) 12V LED strips from Ebay. My LG is on its original stand so I just put 1 LED strip near the top center (see the attached pic). The LED strip is 6500k white but is nowhere near as bright as it shows in the picture. I absolutely love the effect. Because my brother's LG is bigger, he ended up putting 2 LED strips side-by-side and the same location I put mine. His TV is on the wall so he might also consider putting LED strips vertically along the sides of the TV. These LED strips are just a few bucks on Ebay and you will need a powerful enough 12V adapter but the results are incredible. Much better than turning on a lamp and having it reflect off our shiny screens! Hope this helps!

e
LL
post #609 of 851 Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Very cool..how did you fasten the light on?
post #610 of 851 Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Very cool..how did you fasten the light on?

Hi,

The LED strips I got came with double-sided 3M tape. I just peeled off the back and stuck it on.

E
post #611 of 851 Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM

Nice.I actually found some today at Ikea. very similar to yours, and come with the power supply.
post #612 of 851 Old 01-05-2012, 03:58 PM

bodum76: Which LED did you pick up at Ikea? could u supply the model # or description. I'm looking to replace my crappy flourescent light setup that looks ghetto. I tried a phillips rope light from Target as well, but it doesn't seem bright enough. Nice setup you have there emmsys.
post #613 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 08:46 AM

I actually bought these alond with the converter..lights should be in today (blue) 16 foot is about exactly what I need to go around 60 inch.

Check this out on AMZN:

Flexible Lighting Strip 300 SMD LED Ribbon 5 Meter or 16.4 Ft 12 volt BLUE, 2026BU
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Q93CGM/..._am_us?ie=UTF8

Www.ledwholesalers.com

Also check out www.superbriteleds.com nice stuff in there gallery
post #614 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caychanh30 View Post

bodum76: Which LED did you pick up at Ikea? could u supply the model # or description. I'm looking to replace my crappy flourescent light setup that looks ghetto. I tried a phillips rope light from Target as well, but it doesn't seem bright enough. Nice setup you have there emmsys.

I got the Dioder in white. I am not sure how bright you need, but 1 set for $29 was all I needed for my place. It looks awesome and matches perfectly with the Black Noir settings. My eyes can relax while I watch TV and play video games.
post #615 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:

I got the Dioder in white. I am not sure how bright you need, but 1 set for $29 was all I needed for my place. It looks awesome and matches perfectly with the Black Noir settings. My eyes can relax while I watch TV and play video games.

That's great to hear! I might have missed it in one of your earlier posts, but is your TV on a stand or on the wall? Don't you find that the reflected light is so easy on the eyes? How did you setup the LEDS, all along the top, 2 on the sides etc? I'm glad you're enjoying the bias lighting, I find it's one of the easiest DIYers that gives wicked results (besides the LG potentiometer tweaks hehe).

e
post #616 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 12:45 PM

My TV is on a stand. I have 1 light top, another a little under towards bottom and 1 on each side. It puts out a nice balanced backlight. Very worth the $29, and it is a lot easier on my eyes..in addition my apartment has less of a "cave" vibe when I watch TV at night.
post #617 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 PM

Read the whole thread. Can't believe at the beginning no one was talking about the flickering brightness with white images. It's driving me insane. A small windows explorer window will be pure white and as soon as I maximize the window the whole screen turns grey. Also while playing NHL 11 on xbox everything is grey.
Energyx after a day do you still find having your board replaced made a difference? Any other solutions?
THx
post #618 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony666 View Post

Read the whole thread. Can't believe at the beginning no one was talking about the flickering brightness with white images. It's driving me insane. A small windows explorer window will be pure white and as soon as I maximize the window the whole screen turns grey. Also while playing NHL 11 on xbox everything is grey.
Energyx after a day do you still find having your board replaced made a difference? Any other solutions?
THx

that is ABL kicking in and is normal for plasmas.
post #619 of 851 Old 01-06-2012, 10:18 PM

I can't believe this much brightness reduction is normal. When I maximize a windows explorer window, I would compare it to having your laptop go from max to lowest brightness.
post #620 of 851 Old 01-07-2012, 08:41 AM

I had the board replaced because of the occasional color flicker. The drastic drop in overall brightness on a white screen is the energy saving ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter). Nothing can be done about that since the TV was designed to work that way. The new board is better with the color flicker, but still not 100%.

I'll probably be keeping the TV since I can't see paying 50% more for a Panasonic. I may try to adjust the POTs now since the back has already been removed once for the service call.
post #621 of 851 Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

that is ABL kicking in and is normal for plasmas.

Hey Mark, probably not the correct thread, but did you ever decide if you were sticking with the ST30 or going LCD? I am back to using my 60PV450 after all the issues with my ST30, but the black level was so much better on the Panny even after the POT tweaks, and then there is the glare on this set which was my main reason for trying the ST30. Just curious.

Also, for any of you seeing the fluctuating brightness like Mark above did earlier in the thread (not ABL), you may want to check the voltages of the adjustable POTs, or have a tech check them. After adjusting all of the voltages to the label on the inside of the set while tweaking for better blacks, I have not noticed the FBR anymore.....and have been looking for it quite hard.
post #622 of 851 Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Hey Mark, probably not the correct thread, but did you ever decide if you were sticking with the ST30 or going LCD? I am back to using my 60PV450 after all the issues with my ST30, but the black level was so much better on the Panny even after the POT tweaks, and then there is the glare on this set which was my main reason for trying the ST30. Just curious.

Also, for any of you seeing the fluctuating brightness like Mark above did earlier in the thread (not ABL), you may want to check the voltages of the adjustable POTs, or have a tech check them. After adjusting all of the voltages to the label on the inside of the set while tweaking for better blacks, I have not noticed the FBR anymore.....and have been looking for it quite hard.

hi lifesun,

no i have not done anything, amazon is suppose to call me back today.

i have a question for you, you said you liked the sharp 60" 632 when you saw it at the store? there is very little info on it anywhere. i am scared of it because it is only edge lit where as the 70 and 80" are full array. the bigger ones seem to get good reviews but since the 60 is only edge lit it could be totally different.

anyway i think you were the one to post that on another thread...
post #623 of 851 Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

hi lifesun,

no i have not done anything, amazon is suppose to call me back today.

i have a question for you, you said you liked the sharp 60" 632 when you saw it at the store? there is very little info on it anywhere. i am scared of it because it is only edge lit where as the 70 and 80" are full array. the bigger ones seem to get good reviews but since the 60 is only edge lit it could be totally different.

anyway i think you were the one to post that on another thread...

Hello Mark, yeah I think that was me. The 60 "632 seems to be one of those sets that seems to be overlooked on review sites and forums for some reason. Check out the Amazon reviews those are pretty positive. It looked better in store next to the 831, however, the CCFL 79U looked almost as good as the 632, so its hard to say in those conditions. My main concern is clouding, especially on the 632 being that its edge lit...........one of the main reasons that I prefer plasma.
post #624 of 851 Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Ugh........I thought that adjusting the voltages to stock helped with the fluctuating brightness, but I am sorry to report that is not the case, at least with 24p... This is the issue that Mark62 brought up quite awhile ago and it took me time to notice it after he pointed it out. However, after having the Panny ST30 for awhile, and now going back to the PV450, wow does it stand out. I thought that it was fixed or at least better because I hadn't seen it at all since adjusting the voltages, however I hadn't watched an entire film in 24p/72hz, only 60hz material. Just watched Xmen First Class and there was FBR all over the place, very distracting. Seals the deal for me, I will be upgrading soon, not sure with what yet.

Hopefully others don't have this issue, but I know that Mark62 sent 2 PV450's back for this issue, and I understand fully now why he gave up on this set.
post #625 of 851 Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM
D96

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Ugh........I thought that adjusting the voltages to stock helped with the fluctuating brightness, but I am sorry to report that is not the case, at least with 24p... This is the issue that Mark62 brought up quite awhile ago and it took me time to notice it after he pointed it out. However, after having the Panny ST30 for awhile, and now going back to the PV450, wow does it stand out. I thought that it was fixed or at least better because I hadn't seen it at all since adjusting the voltages, however I hadn't watched an entire film in 24p/72hz, only 60hz material. Just watched Xmen First Class and there was FBR all over the place, very distracting. Seals the deal for me, I will be upgrading soon, not sure with what yet.

Hopefully others don't have this issue, but I know that Mark62 sent 2 PV450's back for this issue, and I understand fully now why he gave up on this set.

I have this set (well, the PV 400), have had ti for about a month now, and the flickering is getting much less with time. I PVRed some scenes where this was evident, and it seems to be stabilizing...friend of mine has had the 450 for several months now, and he noticed the same thing.

*shrug*...it may be something that 'corrects itself' over time as the sets breaks in and runs cooler. I have read across other brands that this has been the case with others.

In any case, even with this issue, I love the set. I hate LCD/LED....viewing angles are horrific, and on big panels like 60+, you get uneven lighting and not great black levels. I also hate how bright they are...in a dark room, like where my 400 is, it just gives me a headache watching an LCD. Unnaturally bright.

Anyway...a 60 inch for 1k.....no brainer.
post #626 of 851 Old 01-08-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D96 View Post

I have this set (well, the PV 400), have had ti for about a month now, and the flickering is getting much less with time. I PVRed some scenes where this was evident, and it seems to be stabilizing...friend of mine has had the 450 for several months now, and he noticed the same thing.

*shrug*...it may be something that 'corrects itself' over time as the sets breaks in and runs cooler. I have read across other brands that this has been the case with others.

In any case, even with this issue, I love the set. I hate LCD/LED....viewing angles are horrific, and on big panels like 60+, you get uneven lighting and not great black levels. I also hate how bright they are...in a dark room, like where my 400 is, it just gives me a headache watching an LCD. Unnaturally bright.

Anyway...a 60 inch for 1k.....no brainer.

Glad you are happy with your set. Mine probably has at least 1000 - 1500 hours, so I am pretty sure it won't go away. I already have it sold to a family member anyway, good luck everyone and hopefully you don't have the issues that I had.
post #627 of 851 Old 01-08-2012, 02:02 PM

anyone else have any what it looks to be is light bleed in any of the corners? in my lower left corner there is a small section that seems a bit washed out more than in other places.

i've also noticed a wierd issue when swithing imputs sometimes. i'll go from hdmi 1 to tv or hdmi 2 that my computer is on and all the colors are just jacked up. like they are reversed or something. powering the tv on and off fixes it but still a wierd issue.

also to those thats done pots adjustments, does that just make things darker? or does it make things less muddy looking on dark things? i've been watching season 2 of justified on dvd and it has a real muddled look in dark scenes
post #628 of 851 Old 01-08-2012, 07:10 PM

Liked: 12
The brightness strobing/flickering is also on the Panasonics and Samsungs. It's not going away with Plasma.

Clouding and flashlighting go away with local dimming. Just don't get a cheap LED LCD without local dimming or dimming control with edge lit LEDs. It's a huge improvement. Love my LG 47LW5600 PQ. It's not perfect as these sets have the DSE/banding but it's much more livable than a constant flickering or strobing. BUT I guess DSE affects Plasmas also as there's been a lot of complaints.

I have great black levels and even PCmag stated they were at .01 which was the limit that was measurable. Colors are great as well as my off center viewing angle thanks to the upscale IPS panel.

To bad most places have horrible audition areas. Most "GOOD" LED LCD TVs can match or exceed Plasma TVs but they do cost more. I feel it's warranted as you get brighter output to combat sunlight along with matt anti-reflection screens to make watching in all room environments, capable.
post #629 of 851 Old 01-09-2012, 12:12 AM

Just got my 60pv250 from Dell. I'm going back to Asia soon, so I believe I need to buy a converter as this is a NTSC syst. What is the recommended brand and model? Or there r workarounds via coding or jumper setting on board that will change the input coding?
I appologize in advance if it has been shared before. I Tried searching for it but returned too much threads. And this is a >20 pages thread. Im hoping to make a converter purchase ASAP, if needed so that it will be in time for the shipment. Thx for yr patience and prompt reply.
post #630 of 851 Old 01-09-2012, 06:47 AM

One thing to try if you use Black Noir's settings and want things a little crisper. Just switch the color from warm 23 to cold 23. That nailed it for me. Everyone who has seen the TV (lots of football watched this weekend) describes the colors as perfect.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung , Lg , Plasma Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page