Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 850 Old 01-09-2012, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Ugh........I thought that adjusting the voltages to stock helped with the fluctuating brightness, but I am sorry to report that is not the case, at least with 24p... This is the issue that Mark62 brought up quite awhile ago and it took me time to notice it after he pointed it out. However, after having the Panny ST30 for awhile, and now going back to the PV450, wow does it stand out. I thought that it was fixed or at least better because I hadn't seen it at all since adjusting the voltages, however I hadn't watched an entire film in 24p/72hz, only 60hz material. Just watched Xmen First Class and there was FBR all over the place, very distracting. Seals the deal for me, I will be upgrading soon, not sure with what yet.

Hopefully others don't have this issue, but I know that Mark62 sent 2 PV450's back for this issue, and I understand fully now why he gave up on this set.

The more I read about FBR on these LG's and look at videos etc., the more I think that I might have something else going on. When watching Xmen First Class, everytime someone had a light colored or gray shirt/suit with a pattern, like cross hatch, the screen flickered like crazy in that area. I am going to play around with some settings and see if it might be my sharpness or even 24p causing the issue. When I get time this week to test, I will report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 850 Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:

The more I read about FBR on these LG's and look at videos etc., the more I think that I might have something else going on. When watching Xmen First Class, everytime someone had a light colored or gray shirt/suit with a pattern, like cross hatch, the screen flickered like crazy in that area. I am going to play around with some settings and see if it might be my sharpness or even 24p causing the issue. When I get time this week to test, I will report back.

That sounds like sharpness is too high. It will cause a screen door effect on tight patterns like that.
post #633 of 850 Old 01-09-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyx View Post

That sounds like sharpness is too high. It will cause a screen door effect on tight patterns like that.

Thanks, that is exactly what I hope the issue is. I most likely won't have time to adjust/test until later this week.
post #634 of 850 Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Ugh........I thought that adjusting the voltages to stock helped with the fluctuating brightness, but I am sorry to report that is not the case, at least with 24p... This is the issue that Mark62 brought up quite awhile ago and it took me time to notice it after he pointed it out. However, after having the Panny ST30 for awhile, and now going back to the PV450, wow does it stand out. I thought that it was fixed or at least better because I hadn't seen it at all since adjusting the voltages, however I hadn't watched an entire film in 24p/72hz, only 60hz material. Just watched Xmen First Class and there was FBR all over the place, very distracting. Seals the deal for me, I will be upgrading soon, not sure with what yet.

Hopefully others don't have this issue, but I know that Mark62 sent 2 PV450's back for this issue, and I understand fully now why he gave up on this set.

I am not experiencing fluctuating brightness on my 1 week old 50PV450. Is it possible that your tweaking the voltage adjustments for black level caused the issue? I had planned on doing the voltage adjustments but now I am somewhat concerned that it might not be the best route. Is it safe to go ahead and do the black level voltage adjustments without creating a fluctuating brightness issue?
post #635 of 850 Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 PM

so i had a tech come out and check my tv out and he said it is most likely the program and not the tv because i notice it only happens when watching certain shows or movies on my uverse dvr. he said if you can record a show and it does the exact same thing with the fbl then its not the tv doing it. what im going to do is record a show or movie that does it and play it back on both my tvs to see if what hes saying is really true. my other tv is a samsung lcd so we'll see.
post #636 of 850 Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post

I am not experiencing fluctuating brightness on my 1 week old 50PV450. Is it possible that your tweaking the voltage adjustments for black level caused the issue? I had planned on doing the voltage adjustments but now I am somewhat concerned that it might not be the best route. Is it safe to go ahead and do the black level voltage adjustments without creating a fluctuating brightness issue?

well i notice it sometimes and i havent done the pots tweak yet.
post #637 of 850 Old 01-10-2012, 02:32 PM
D96

With regard to fbl:

It is on all plasmas, its the nature of the technology now

I honestly think its not seen by all people. I show my wife instances of it, and she sees nothing , somewhat similar to dlp rainbows...some saw them, some did not

As I mentioned previously, I see this occurring less often, or perhaps I'm just not seeing it as much

My bottom line is that with led or plasma, you pick your poison. Both technologies have pros and cons, and for me, the one issue of fbl is something I can deal with, for me, led/LCD just have a laundry list of things I hate. Uneven lighting, clouding effect, terrible viewing angles, poor blacks ( you can tout the improve blacks all you want, they are still behind plasma). And don't even get me started on any edge lit LCD....they just suck, especially the larger panels.

This lg set, in the correct surroundings, ie, a darker room, is an off the charts beautiful set.

My three cents.
post #638 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM

I just received my 60PV250(basically the PV450) today and I'm missing the remote, power cord, and screws that are used to assemble the stand and connect it to the tv.
I've already put in a claim, but I bet it will be a little while before I receive them.

I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what size bolts I need for the stand both the part that hooks directly to the tv and too the base. I'm hoping to be able to find them at the hardware store so I can watch this thing this weekend.

I can get by without a remote for a little while and I had an extra power cable from an old computer that I'm using, just no way to stand it up in a viewable position.

Thanks guys
post #639 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeph83 View Post

I just received my 60PV250(basically the PV450) today and I'm missing the remote, power cord, and screws that are used to assemble the stand and connect it to the tv.
I've already put in a claim, but I bet it will be a little while before I receive them.

I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what size bolts I need for the stand both the part that hooks directly to the tv and too the base. I'm hoping to be able to find them at the hardware store so I can watch this thing this weekend.

I can get by without a remote for a little while and I had an extra power cable from an old computer that I'm using, just no way to stand it up in a viewable position.

Thanks guys

Page 9 of the manual actually specifies what size they are: http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...elCode=60PV450

4 each M4x28 and 3 each M5x24
post #640 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just got my 50pv400 yesterday. I want to use my existing wall bracket. The manual specifies M6 screws for the wall mount VESA holes on the LG. Does anyone know what thread pitch and length M6?
post #641 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM

Thanks energyx I actually didn't get a manual either and didn't think about looking online for it yet. I'll have to look up the one for the pv450.
post #642 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeph83 View Post

Thanks guys

Be sure to dig through all the styrofoam..........If I remember correctly, I recall someone else having this issue as well and they pulled the styrofoam apart and found all the "missing" parts.....
post #643 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks for posting the info about the pots adjustment.. I got great results as well -- very noticeable increase in black level afterwards. Seeing no issues with pixel misfires or anything.

I have the 50pv400 and am about 20 hours in with my break in. Already did the calibration adjustments and am currently keeping brightness/contrast lowered during that period. Looks excellent now.
The picture looked great before the pots adjustment but I did notice the greyish black level when there were any top or sidebars or when a netflix streaming vid was loading. Now the black levels are nice and dark , no noticeable greyish backgrounds or sidebars whatsoever. A couple times during scene transitions watching man vs. food on netflix, I thought the screen had turned off. It's that much of a change from before.

As a comparison, I have a Panasonic tc-p46s1 that's been moved to the bedroom - It's a 2009 model plasma that was claimed to have excellent black levels, and it still does (even after the so called "black level rise" panasonic had issues with back then). I'd say that my LG is now a bit better blacks than my panasonic.

It would be interesting for someone to measure the black levels after the fix, I don't even know the measurement before?? Any input would be appreciated. Anybody know somebody you can borrow an x-rite calibrator from??
post #644 of 850 Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM

Well I've had the 50pv400 (OCT 2011 build date) for a week now and am pleased with the TV. 1080p and Blurays look fantastic. Sweeny Todd blew me away. Watching sports is much better then my old LCD, very fluid motion. Although I do still have 2 gripes with it.

I notice IR but this is my first plasma, so I'll trust you guys that this will go away over time. The other is the flicker, very noticeable when watching hockey. Using BN's settings and the only way to completely stop it was to turn Energy Saving mode to Minimum. Not sure why it fixes it but I'll have to live with it for now.

Good thing Costco has a great return policy in case I need to exchange for another set.
post #645 of 850 Old 01-12-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiggity123 View Post

Thanks for posting the info about the pots adjustment.. I got great results as well -- very noticeable increase in black level afterwards. Seeing no issues with pixel misfires or anything.

I have the 50pv400 and am about 20 hours in with my break in. Already did the calibration adjustments and am currently keeping brightness/contrast lowered during that period. Looks excellent now.
The picture looked great before the pots adjustment but I did notice the greyish black level when there were any top or sidebars or when a netflix streaming vid was loading. Now the black levels are nice and dark , no noticeable greyish backgrounds or sidebars whatsoever. A couple times during scene transitions watching man vs. food on netflix, I thought the screen had turned off. It's that much of a change from before.

As a comparison, I have a Panasonic tc-p46s1 that's been moved to the bedroom - It's a 2009 model plasma that was claimed to have excellent black levels, and it still does (even after the so called "black level rise" panasonic had issues with back then). I'd say that my LG is now a bit better blacks than my panasonic.

It would be interesting for someone to measure the black levels after the fix, I don't even know the measurement before??
Any input would be appreciated. Anybody know somebody you can borrow an x-rite calibrator from??

Hi pdiggity123

Sounds good, you may want to post here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...372479&page=25 , someone may have the answer.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #646 of 850 Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 AM

My LEDs around my 60pv250....lg sound bar will be directly under tv so you'll wont see the tv cables, hdmi, power cables etc..
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #647 of 850 Old 01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

Got my 60PV250 today and hooked it up. The picture looks great on Cinema mode and energy saving mode off. I haven't had any issues with fluctuating brightness. Blurays and PS3 look awesome. Black levels are nice and dark, with no obvious "grey" blacks. I have not changed any other factory settings.

The only problem however is the glare. Wow, this thing is like a mirror. Don't buy this TV if you have any type of light source in front of the tv (window or lamp) and intend on watching TV when the light source is on.

My 5 yr old 42" Panasonic has SO much less glare. I compared the two side by side, and the LG had twice the amount of reflection/glare.

Overall great value. Cant beat the price for $799.
post #648 of 850 Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpope1 View Post

Got my 60PV250 today and hooked it up. The picture looks great on Cinema mode and energy saving mode off. I haven't had any issues with fluctuating brightness. Blurays and PS3 look awesome. Black levels are nice and dark, with no obvious "grey" blacks. I have not changed any other factory settings.

The only problem however is the glare. Wow, this thing is like a mirror. Don't buy this TV if you have any type of light source in front of the tv (window or lamp) and intend on watching TV when the light source is on.

My 5 yr old 42" Panasonic has SO much less glare. I compared the two side by side, and the LG had twice the amount of reflection/glare.

Overall great value. Cant beat the price for $799.

Yeah the glare is why I decided to look at other sets, too much of an issue for me. Great set otherwise, especially for the price!
post #649 of 850 Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbxx View Post

All of my voltages are in spec, I just adjusted Set_up, and Set_dn. I noticed this issue before the tweak as well. I don't think that this is FBR though. It only happens with things on screen that have patterns such as neck ties, In bright scenes. I adjusted sharpness down and it helps, but does not totally eliminate the issue, even at 0. It's much better though. Interestingly enough, it basically goes away if I turn off 24p on the player and watch the same scenes at 60hz.
post #650 of 850 Old 01-12-2012, 11:37 PM

Ugh... I think I have some very minor burn in. I'm only like 25 hours breaking it in, but I got cocky and played Zelda a bit. Only about 2 hours a day for a couple of days. But now there's this really faint dark blur of a line where the hearts are. There is a saving grace though. It's only when the screen has absolutely no signal, with my face pressed right up against the screen, and to be honest it might just be all completely in my head and it's just some kind of shadow. It's essentially completely invisible, and I'm sure any other person would never see it unless it was pointed out. But goddamnit it's bugging the hell out of me. I've ran the color wash, and even tried the white wash a few times (sparingly though, since I've heard it's rather bad for the TV). And I'm rather annoyed that despite all the claims that burn-in, some medium play has resulted in this. Now I'm scared to death to play any games on the thing.
post #651 of 850 Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolfman View Post

Ugh... I think I have some very minor burn in. I'm only like 25 hours breaking it in, but I got cocky and played Zelda a bit. Only about 2 hours a day for a couple of days. But now there's this really faint dark blur of a line where the hearts are. There is a saving grace though. It's only when the screen has absolutely no signal, with my face pressed right up against the screen, and to be honest it might just be all completely in my head and it's just some kind of shadow. It's essentially completely invisible, and I'm sure any other person would never see it unless it was pointed out. But goddamnit it's bugging the hell out of me. I've ran the color wash, and even tried the white wash a few times (sparingly though, since I've heard it's rather bad for the TV). And I'm rather annoyed that despite all the claims that burn-in, some medium play has resulted in this. Now I'm scared to death to play any games on the thing.

Just watch some full screen content or do the color wash for a bit. The telling sign that this is minor IR is the fact that you see it on a black screen, not white.......where more stubborn IR appears....
post #652 of 850 Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:

All of my voltages are in spec, I just adjusted Set_up, and Set_dn. I noticed this issue before the tweak as well. I don't think that this is FBR though. It only happens with things on screen that have patterns such as neck ties, In bright scenes. I adjusted sharpness down and it helps, but does not totally eliminate the issue, even at 0. It's much better though. Interestingly enough, it basically goes away if I turn off 24p on the player and watch the same scenes at 60hz.

Update: I realized that I was using 16x9 with bluray at 24p, Changed to just scan and the effect I am seeing diminished even more, Not completely gone like with 60hz, But acceptable now. So it must be processing based on the set.

Still wish I could get rid of the glare and I wouldn't be looking to replace/ upgrade!
post #653 of 850 Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi lifesun

This has always been a known problem "the screen flickered like crazy" for TV and video from day 1, News reporters were asked never to wear patterned ties and jackets for just that reason.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #654 of 850 Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi lifesun

This has always been a known problem "the screen flickered like crazy" for TV and video from day 1, News reporters were asked never to wear patterned ties and jackets for just that reason.

Interesting, I never noticed this issue on my st30 or any of my LCD sets...
post #655 of 850 Old 01-13-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting, I never noticed this issue on my st30 or any of my LCD sets...

Problem when upgrading, calibrating, tweaking or just getting something new we start scrutinizing, we see every little flaw or defect that may have been there previously but we just didn't give it that much attention, but once we spot it it's hard to ignore.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #656 of 850 Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM

I was lucky and got the 50PV400 for $599 back in September, and I really like it so far. The blacks aren't really that black, but I'm too chicken to open it up and play with the pots, I really have no idea where to start there.

Today I was cleaning the screen, and I noticed something that I assume had to have been like this since I bought the TV, but never noticed before, and I'm pretty OCD about these kinds of things.

The "matte" (for lack of a better term) that wraps around the inside of the glass to cover the edges of the screen is not even on both sides. On the left it's about 1cm and on the right it's slightly more than 1/2cm so you can see some of the dark grey area around the viewable screen of the TV. I guess for the most part it wasn't noticeable because it's darker than the screen (even an all black screen), but now that I know that bit is there,I keep looking at it.

It can't be seen from normal viewing distances or I would have noticed long ago (did I mention I'm OCD). Is it fairly normal not to have an absolutely perfect "matte"? I don't see any way this could have shifted in the 3 months I've had it (tv has never been moved, only rotated on it's stand).

Here is what I mean...

Left side of screen...

Right side of screen (you can see a bit of the "grey matter" and what sort of looks like circuits)...

On the top and bottom of the screen, the "matte" is about the same size as the right side, about 1/2cm, it shows a bit of the "grey matter", but not as much as on the right side.
post #657 of 850 Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i just received the 50pv400 and was wondering if someone could give me some basic advice about burn in, ive heard i need to run a color slide (?) if so, where can i find one to use? would playing a few movies with black bars be fine or should i avoid them all together? any advice would be appreciated thank you
post #658 of 850 Old 01-14-2012, 08:43 PM

New member, and very happy new owner of the 60PV250-ub (November 2011). My family absolutely loves this new TV. Using HDMI from my Yamaha Rx-v667, Dish HD content is beautiful. We've tinkered some with the settings, but nothing too far for OOTB. This is a great forum and I plan on some minor tweaks based on the guidance from other members after the break-in period.
post #659 of 850 Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 AM
D96

I chatted with a tech at LG, and explained the FB stuff, a quick fix that was suggested was to set gamma to medium ( i had previously had it on low).

Doing this along with some minor tweaking of brightness and contrast looks to have pretty much cured this issue for me entirely.

PVRed material that showed this now does not, and if I toggle back and forth from low to medium gamma, you can see it come back almost immediately.

May not work for all, but it made a day and night difference for me.
post #660 of 850 Old 01-15-2012, 11:59 AM

When watching sports, do you all use the built-in Sports setting?

I just went into my cable box's hidden menu to change output to 1080i from 720p. I have display set on Sports, but I can't go into the Expert settings to turn the Film Mode on so it deinterlaces the signal.

What would you all recommend? I have Black Noir's settings in ISF 2, but I thought those were more for movies, etc. Do you all use the same settings regardless of content?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung , Lg , Plasma Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page