Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 845 Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypistol View Post

so playing with the pots the first time is what caused the problems you were asking about before?

Yes it was the blue one on the middle board. A vs one. I wish I had never touched it. The set is back to 99% of normal though. I did see some corruption in the bottom left corner last night when I turned the set on but it didn't stay. Watched half of empire strikes back and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I do have a little light bleed on the same bottom left but I think that's been there since day 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 845 Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 PM

^^ good to hear you fixed it. Are the black levels that much better, enough to recommend doing? Also, Ive seen that same light bleed bottom left corner about 3 times but goes away once I catch a glimps of it. Thought I was just seeing things
post #723 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 03:35 AM

Could someone take a picture of the correct "pot or pots" so others can benefit from proper black levels with out adjusting the wrong pot.
I think this would be most helpful.
post #724 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post

Could someone take a picture of the correct "pot or pots" so others can benefit from proper black levels with out adjusting the wrong pot.
I think this would be most helpful.

Hi I also would like to see this, thanks for any help in advance.
post #725 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 AM

Search this thread. There's pictures from users and diagrams from LG.
post #726 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 AM

pevco
Check out pages 9-11 and following pages for pot change info. I have not done this to my set as my black levels are almost as dark as the bezel. Don't want to screw up the fantastic PQ i got with Blacknoir's settings + minor tweaks to contrast & brightness.
post #727 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ctor View Post

Got my 60pv450 a couple weeks ago. So far, very happy with it.

-No lag playing Halo: Anniversary.
-No burn-in/IR issues at all.
-On an all white screen, I do notice a slight "shadow"-type line right down the middle of the screen. (Not a big distraction; will continue to run the moving mini-color squares to hopefully fix it.)
-Using tweaked "Cinema" & "Game" picture modes and really like them so far.
-No motion-smoothing problem.
-There is glare, expected; but hoping that tilting it, when I get the wall mount, will help a little.
-Was hoping to play videos from the USB but it looks like that's not available on the pv450.

-The only question I have is; does the optical out support 5.1 or DTS? From what I can tell, it doesn't, but I wanted to double check.

Again, very happy with this <$1000 60inch plasma.

I noticed when optical out from the 60PV450 was connected to my AV receiver, I was getting Pro Logic processing.

I got into the service menu looking to enable pass through of 5.1 dolby digital via optical out. It wasn't there, so I connected the digital coax out of my blu ray player and the optical out of the DirecTV HDDVR to directly my A/V Receiver.

I was concerned that there might be some audio sync issues doing that, but there are none. Can't believe that LG only enabled Pro Logic via Optical Out. Oh well, glad there's a work around.

Don't make excuses...make time!
post #728 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVonaBudget View Post

I got into the service menu looking to enable pass through of 5.1 dolby digital via optical out.

How did you get into the service menu? From all the research I've done, it requires the service menu remote or it's equivalent infrared code to be programmed into 'advanced' learning remotes. I've been trying to get into the service menu without that service remote just so I can disable edge enhancement at SD resolutions.
post #729 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Just picked up a LG 60PV450 last week. Could not resist the price as I have been waiting for a good 60" for a while now.

I have heard rumors that it is possible to unlock the 3D feature on this TV? Anyone care to shed some insight on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldicon12 View Post

and what do you put brightness at in cinema mode?

Do you also feel this TV is a little "dark" with factory settings. Would like to know if anyone else is tweaking the "Cinema" settings as i found this to be the best.
post #730 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

How did you get into the service menu? From all the research I've done, it requires the service menu remote or it's equivalent infrared code to be programmed into 'advanced' learning remotes. I've been trying to get into the service menu without that service remote just so I can disable edge enhancement at SD resolutions.

I actually have the service menu remote that you referenced. I purchased it last year when I wanted to tweak a 47LW5600 for additional features like THX.

post #731 of 845 Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:

I actually have the service menu remote that you referenced. I purchased it last year when I wanted to tweak a 47LW5600 for additional features like THX.

I used a harmony to tweak my 55lw5600 as well. Anything good in the service menu here? Man the glare is a bit rough even in te basement! Hoping it goes down when I mount it.
post #732 of 845 Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr View Post

Have any references for this?

Google "plasma TV power mandate." One of many...

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/

Notice, if the manufacturers crank out plasma TV's now which produce fluctuating brightness in order to comply with current mandates, wait until the more stringent version of the California requirements goes into effect in 2013. If someone thinks they will be spared the visual consequences of this next mandate because they don't live in CA, rest assured the manufacturers won't be making a "49 state" model separate from the others.
post #733 of 845 Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Just FYI, if anybody, say, has a spouse who likes to watch this TV while you listen to AM radio, be advised that this TV creates absolutely horrendous amounts of AM radio interference. My previous Panasonic's, Samsung and Vizio did not. I cannot listen to AM radio anywhere in my house, on any radio., when this TV is on. It's not just an AC line noise thing, either. Even driving up to our house one night, I knew my wife was watching TV because before I even got to the driveway, the AM radio began to buzz horribly. Turn the TV off, noise goes away. They need better RF shielding in this thing. (FWIW, I have my TV hooked up through a Monster Power center with filter.) Just FYI for AM radio listeners who have family who watch this TV at the same time..
post #734 of 845 Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM

new user playing around with color settings here.

can anybody explain in a little more detail what is happening with the "Color Gamut" setting when I change between standard and wide?
post #735 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM

quick pic of my recently acquired 60pv450, people werent joking when they said the screen is like a mirror, but the picture quality is well worth it, especially for $800 shipped..

getting pretty close to 200hours running slides/watching full screen... will try blacknoirs settings soon, but cinema mode looks amazing already

post #736 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
rfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo DV8 View Post

Google "plasma TV power mandate." One of many...

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-power-efficiency/

Notice, if the manufacturers crank out plasma TV's now which produce fluctuating brightness in order to comply with current mandates, wait until the more stringent version of the California requirements goes into effect in 2013. If someone thinks they will be spared the visual consequences of this next mandate because they don't live in CA, rest assured the manufacturers won't be making a "49 state" model separate from the others.

Very informative, but I was more concerned with any evidence that might support your claim: "Again, this fluctuating brightness issue suddenly popping up in plasma's recently is a direct result of recent government mandate." Power mandates exist. Image fluctuations exist. Where's the evidence that one is a "direct result" of the other?
post #737 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
That's a very nice set up your running there. Tv looks great to. How do you get your image so good?
post #738 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

quick pic of my recently acquired 60pv450, people werent joking when they said the screen is like a mirror, but the picture quality is well worth it, especially for $800 shipped..

getting pretty close to 200hours running slides/watching full screen... will try blacknoirs settings soon, but cinema mode looks amazing already

looks great, whats your settings in cinema?
post #739 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Wait. You only paid $800 for the 60?
post #740 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

to bad i didnt wait for that deal i paid like 1200. doh! I know where he got it but not sure i can mention it here and that deals gone with the wind.
post #741 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldicon12 View Post

to bad i didnt wait for that deal i paid like 1200. doh! I know where he got it but not sure i can mention it here and that deals gone with the wind.

It was a deal from NewEgg a couple of weeks back....I luckily got in on that deal too as my old Toshiba 57HX81 died that day before the deal came online.

Great timing!!!
LL

post #742 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was a deal from NewEgg a couple of weeks back....I luckily got in on that deal too as my old Toshiba 57HX81 died that day before the deal came online.

Great timing!!!

That's a crazy good deal. I'd buy two of these at that price. One for the bedroom and guest room.
post #743 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:

Great timing!!!

yep thats the place thats an excellent deal
post #744 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koven View Post

Do you have a center channel speaker hidden in there somewhere?
post #745 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 04:57 PM

Can I ask how far you guys are sitting away from the 60" when your watching HD cable (720P stuff for example)? Is 8' too close?

Thanks,

-Guru
post #746 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM

This is my first time with a plasma (and I haven't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been explained), but this set's whites seem extremely gray when the screen is mostly white. It's really apparent in the opening titles for the show Bob's Burgers, which starts completely white. The screen is totally gray, and then as things begin to move onto the white background and there's less white, the whites get brighter and brighter.

Is there any way to keep the screen bright when it's mostly white?
post #747 of 845 Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr View Post

Very informative, but I was more concerned with any evidence that might support your claim: "Again, this fluctuating brightness issue suddenly popping up in plasma's recently is a direct result of recent government mandate." Power mandates exist. Image fluctuations exist. Where's the evidence that one is a "direct result" of the other?

Reread the section on Picture Settings. Power consumption is tied directly to white level. White level is manipulated and limited by any of the several listed ways in order to comply with the more stringent mandates. That particular article does not hold one's hand through the entire process from means to end. One must be able to read and understand the correlation what the article is talking about in it's entirety. Power consumed is directly dictated by white level. The government mandates dictate the power consumed. When government mandates reduce allowable power consumption, it follows that the manufacturers must reduce the available white level, by the means stated in the article, the results of which we are currently witnessing on our latest plasma TV's. Find any other logical reason why all of a sudden these issues with fluctuating white level suddenly pop up across brands after the mandates. Short of any manufacturer's engineers divulging their companies deepest design secrets, I doubt you will find the smoking gun you seek. In the absence of any other logical explanation for these sudden changes, one must come to a logical conclusion with the information at hand.
post #748 of 845 Old 02-04-2012, 06:51 PM

I would assume the TV could produce overall bright whites, but is it held back by some kind of hardware attenuation, or software/firmware? PS doesn't regulate itself, does it?
post #749 of 845 Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdish255 View Post

I would assume the TV could produce overall bright whites, but is it held back by some kind of hardware attenuation, or software/firmware? PS doesn't regulate itself, does it?

its called ABL... automatic brightness limiter...
post #750 of 845 Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Liked: 11
I've been looking pretty hard at this LG. I've got a 42 inch Panasonic 720p plasma right now and am thinking about upgrading to 1080p. I'm looking for anything 42-50 with a price under, say, $900...yet with excellent picture quality.

Just based on reviews, I'm somewhere between this and the Panny ST30. Decisions. Decisions.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung , Lg , Plasma Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page