AVS Forum banner

2011 LG XXPV450 and 400 Owner's Thread

215K views 851 replies 189 participants last post by  TT_Vert 
#1 ·
Hi,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Hope this is ok to start this thread. Just picked up the 50PV400 at Costco and I saw there was no thread for the 50PV450 (which is pretty much the same TV as the costco model from what I gather). Just to kick things off: I'm not able to figure out if the intelligent light sensor thing is on or how to turn it off, if it is. Also, I can't get the energy saving mode to engage or disengage. I think perhaps the Costco model doesn't have this feature? Although, it is on the box and there's a button on the remote. Obviously, sharing settings would be great if anyone has some good ones. I saw that one guy posted his settings in an Amazon review. I'll cut and paste those over here if anyone is interested. I'm excited about this set, I think it will be pretty amazing after I crank up some of the settings (I'm babying it for the first 100 hours or so).

#678 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/21512598

That's not the flicker. That's normal for the tech. Lowering your brightness could fix it but it would also result in crushed blacks.

Blacks overall are always grey. Pot tweaks will make them decent. Black vs grey. Just not inky.

Played with the setting a little bit, and found that the issue doesnt occur on standard setting... gonna have to play with those settings. Standard is a little bright for me so ill have to adjust and hopefully itll keep it from happenining

#680 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore 64 /forum/post/21515979

Coming from a Magnavox 42-inch LCD TV, the difference is night and day. Maybe it's good that I was slumming it because I couldn't be happier with my 50PV400. I really don't notice the issues that people are talking about.

so i turned dynamic contrast off and it fixed the fluctuating problem but i still get some flicker in some areas i got my sharpness at 50 though. besides that everything looks good but i might send it back because of the glare. oh and leaving dynamic contrast on for blu ray movies didnt give me any issues only for some shows on dvr.

#683 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldicon12 /forum/post/0

really? ok ill do that im not so good at calibrating i am just doin it by eye but ill try that to see what the difference is. its only flickering some when theres like a greyish suit or background.

A sharpness that high will add a lot of extra pixelation to the picture. Makes clear blocks on edges or anything for that matter. Your picture should be much more clear when lowering the sharpness.

#684 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/21516852

A sharpness that high will add a lot of extra pixelation to the picture. Makes clear blocks on edges or anything for that matter. Your picture should be much more clear when lowering the sharpness.

yea i noticed that thanks ill give it a try and i think my contrast is to high. im in cinema mode right now so i havent tryed expert mode for my blu ray player yet.

#685 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/21516671

Woa! Why on earth would you have it on 50!? It should on 12 MAX.

Interesting. Every set of settings Ive seen posted in here have the sharpnesses in the 40-50 range. Will try when I get home.

Did I read correctly that you got rid of your 60" LG? Funny because when I read through this thread, your posts the most made me feel good about getting this TV

#686 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypistol /forum/post/21517156

Interesting. Every set of settings Ive seen posted in here have the sharpnesses in the 40-50 range. Will try when I get home.

Did I read correctly that you got rid of your 60" LG? Funny because when I read through this thread, your posts the most made me feel good about getting this TV

yea i gotta do it at night the glare is to much in the daytime here but i turned sharpness down to 12 already ill wait tonight to see the difference.

#687 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypistol /forum/post/0

Yes. I still highly recommend this set to people. I just want to have my blinds fully open while watching the game. Other then blacks (which can easily be fixed) this tv is great.

#689 ·
When people mention FBL, is this an example?

I'm watching a hockey game, and the play is in the corner, with a good chunk of the screen being taken up by the crowd, so the ice is nice and bright white. Then as the play moves to center ice, the ice now takes up nearly 100% of the screen, and the ice now is more grey than bright white.

#691 ·
in the past week i've started noticing a line of pixels that flash like a red in a straight line in the middle of the pannel, mostly on the left side to half way, its not always there, and it seems like it may only be when im watching blu rays, i've not noticed it on tv or the computer. it will appear then disappear, but if i rewind to a spot i noticed it, its there again. anyone else seen this?

i just swapped out my hdmi cables so i dont think its a cable thing. but the line is in the same spot every time i think on multiple disks so far.

edit:

so i just watched an hour of rome on blu ray and a hour of a show thru itunes on my computer thats in the living room. neither showed the line of pixels at all. seems like its only appearing on things with bars.

#692 ·
Fellas,

Just pulled the the trigger on the 60PV450. The price was too good to pass up. Anyway, I have a Kuro as my main TV so I hope I won't be too dissapointed in this baby! Based on this thread, I am 99% sure I will try the Pot adjustments to Set Up and Vs, but i had a few questions.

Are folks that did the Pot adjustments 4 or 5 months ago still satisfied with them? Any side effects that show up over time? I didn't see any but just wanted to confirm?

Also, do the Pot Adjustments apply to the 50" and the 60"?

Thanks,

#693 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clthoma2 /forum/post/0

Fellas,

Just pulled the the trigger on the 60PV450. The price was too good to pass up. Anyway, I have a Kuro as my main TV so I hope I won't be too dissapointed in this baby! Based on this thread, I am 99% sure I will try the Pot adjustments to Set Up and Vs, but i had a few questions.

Are folks that did the Pot adjustments 4 or 5 months ago still satisfied with them? Any side effects that show up over time? I didn't see any but just wanted to confirm?

Also, do the Pot Adjustments apply to the 50" and the 60"?

Thanks,

You can do it to both sizes I'm pretty sure. I had done the tweak and did not see any side effects of doing so.

#694 ·
Quick question. What does pixel misfire look like? What would cause green swirly looking noise in the black be caused by? It's not always there. Sometimes it appears as the player is spinning up a disk. The screen will go black with a green hue caused by all the green lines. Normal operation is a small reddish pattern in the blacks.

#695 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oletheos /forum/post/21536320

Quick question. What does pixel misfire look like? What would cause green swirly looking noise in the black be caused by? It's not always there. Sometimes it appears as the player is spinning up a disk. The screen will go black with a green hue caused by all the green lines. Normal operation is a small reddish pattern in the blacks.

Sounds like dithering, a byproduct of the plasma technology.

#696 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL /forum/post/21536415

Sounds like dithering, a byproduct of the plasma technology.

Hmm ok.

Any idea why some movies will show a horizontal line of red flickering pixels at random times? Seems to be almost the exact middle line of pixels in the display toward the left edge. .

edit:

ok did some testing. im leaning towards it being the blu ray player. i did see it on some 16x9 stuff. but i still dont see it on tv or with the computer feeding it.

i stuck a dvd into the blu ray player and found a spot that the pixels appeared, then i put the dvd into the computer and went to the same scene and no appearance of pixels at all.

#697 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 /forum/post/21516852

is that for v. sharpness, h. sharpness or both? i used blacknoir's settings since i got my set first week of dec & so lowered the sharpness now to 12 on both & lettering is actually a bit fuzzy & picture is definitely not as clear as it was on 50! go figure... think i'll stick with 50.

#698 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

is that for v. sharpness, h. sharpness or both? i used blacknoir's settings since i got my set first week of dec & so lowered the sharpness now to 12 on both & lettering is actually a bit fuzzy & picture is definitely not as clear as it was on 50! go figure... think i'll stick with 50.

wtxgringo

I agree! Backing off Blacknoir's sharpness levels reduced PQ so went back to his and love the PQ. Took about 25 hours of use before set broke-in, but is outstanding!

#701 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 /forum/post/21509205

... however there no reason all these issues are happening in plasma tech. as my past plasmas did not do any of this, the energy thing should not be an excuse for these issues.... they should fix all these problems before release.

Again, this fluctuating brightness issue suddenly popping up in plasma's recently is a direct result of recent government mandate. There is only so much white level which manufactureres can squeeze out of a plasma set for a given power consumption. And when a governerment agency mandates that new plasma sets must consume "X" watts or "X percent fewer watts" henceforth, when the technology cannot possibly accomodate it, you end up with compromises, such as fluctuating brightness, to keep their sets in "compliance" with average power consumption mandates. Rob from Peter to pay Paul. I nearly dropped a load of bricks in my drawers when I saw my new plasma consumed only 99 watts, when my previous ones consumed hundreds. Now we know how they pulled off this technological "marvel." It's not that the plasma manufactureres suddenly want to give us muddy whites and fluctuating brightness, but government interference has tied their hands. FB's and muddy whites aren't problems the manufacturers can "fix." They are problems created my big government, and only voters can fix them, at the polls. So the next time you choose a new TV, thank the government that, in the name of saving our planet, you have to choose between a washed out LED LCD TV, or a flickery, muddy plasma.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.