2011 LG XXPV450 and 400 Owner's Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 851 Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not sure about 60PV250 but on the 60PV450 yes it does display 24fps properly. You can verify by switching 24fps output on your BluRay player on and off. Then pop in a BluRay with 24fps content and watch scrolling ending credits or any across screen pans. You should see a difference. 24fps' goal isn't to smooth out the pan, it's just to display it accurately without modification.

Also when testing for this, you should set the display to 'just scan.' This will enable 1-to-1 pixel mapping making detection of the difference easier during the scrolling credits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 851 Old 05-15-2012, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by razel View Post

I'm not sure about 60PV250 but on the 60PV450 yes it does display 24fps properly. You can verify by switching 24fps output on your BluRay player on and off. Then pop in a BluRay with 24fps content and watch scrolling ending credits or any across screen pans. You should see a difference. 24fps' goal isn't to smooth out the pan, it's just to display it accurately without modification.

Also when testing for this, you should set the display to 'just scan.' This will enable 1-to-1 pixel mapping making detection of the difference easier during the scrolling credits.

Thanks for the answer to my second question. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Now, can anyone answer my first question? I'm concerned with the higher black levels I might get uneven levels from the frequent black bars on the sides. I had a Samsung plasma a few years ago that did that.

post #813 of 851 Old 05-16-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 View Post

Thanks for the answer to my second question. I'll give it a try tonight when I get home from work. Now, can anyone answer my first question? I'm concerned with the higher black levels I might get uneven levels from the frequent black bars on the sides. I had a Samsung plasma a few years ago that did that.

I adjusted mine today so my daughter could watch Netflix without black pillar bars.

Q.Menu>Aspect Ratio>Cinema Zoom

Then select Cinema Zoom again. You should see a menu with up, down, left, right options. Click the right option and adjust zoom to 16.
post #814 of 851 Old 05-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem11 View Post

I adjusted mine today so my daughter could watch Netflix without black pillar bars.

Q.Menu>Aspect Ratio>Cinema Zoom

Then select Cinema Zoom again. You should see a menu with up, down, left, right options. Click the right option and adjust zoom to 16.

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home. Seems like a complicated way to do it. I'm getting more and more tempted to do the voltage adjustments, but I really don't want to risk messing it up. I noticed a HUGE difference when watching 24p content properly rendered at 72Hz. It makes me think my Kuro wasn't displaying it properly, even though I had the it set to. It didn't pan nearly as smooth and fluid as the LG does. I love it.

post #815 of 851 Old 05-23-2012, 03:59 PM

I guess know one has an answer for the flickering. My tv was fine for a couple of months. It now does it bad on gray or white backgrounds. I will return it to Costco I guess.
post #816 of 851 Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM

I'm getting really tempted to make the voltage changed, but am still really concerned about damage, both short and long term. Is there anyone still monitoring this thread that made the voltage changes, and haven't had any negative impact from it? People first started making them around 9 months ago. I'd love better blacks, but am really concerned about messing with something I don't fully understand.
rfr likes this.

post #817 of 851 Old 05-30-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime View Post

I guess know one has an answer for the flickering. My tv was fine for a couple of months. It now does it bad on gray or white backgrounds. I will return it to Costco I guess.

I foolishly didn't buy from Costco so I'm out of luck on returning to store at this point. As I noted in a prior post the service people LG sent out refuse to acknowledge its a problem with the TV. There are people in this thread who got it fixed but I suppose once they got it fixed they are just enjoying their TV and not checking this thread. Maybe if I have a spare hour or two I'll re-read the entire thread and PM them. Probably won't bother with an LG again.
post #818 of 851 Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Does lowering the sharpness help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njligernj View Post

I foolishly didn't buy from Costco so I'm out of luck on returning to store at this point. As I noted in a prior post the service people LG sent out refuse to acknowledge its a problem with the TV. There are people in this thread who got it fixed but I suppose once they got it fixed they are just enjoying their TV and not checking this thread. Maybe if I have a spare hour or two I'll re-read the entire thread and PM them. Probably won't bother with an LG again.

post #819 of 851 Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
On my LG 60PV450 during the TV commercials, any white background turns to a light greyish color, the bright white is not shown..........why...? and what can I do to get the bright white color to show .
My Samsung 61in LED is nice and bright!

Anyone...
post #820 of 851 Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 AM

Hello all, new here.....

I have just purchased the 60PV400, and I am trying to understand the picture adjustments (or lack of) on this TV.

I find them to be lacking for an HDTV set. All be it a "bottom of the line" set for features! Very dissapointed that the USB port is non-functional!

What I have done is use the settings that were posted at the beginning of this thread. What I find is that all of the settings, no matter wich one I put it on, the picture is very dark. I have tried Standard, Game, ASF, all of them, and of course the set the Expert1 mode as mentioned in this thread.

Seems to me that all of them are very dark. Even if I try to up the "brightness", close to 100, I still cant get a nice crisp bright picture.

Am I missing something on this TV?? Almost seems like something obvious is set incorrectly and I am over looking it...

I am sure not pleased with what I have seen for a picture so far, and I read so many reviews of how people loved the picture on this TV before I actually bought it.

Any help appreciated!!
post #821 of 851 Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 AM

TRY WORKING THE CONTRAST, (WHITE). TURN ALL THE WAY UP, THEN DOWN, (HAVING A STILL IMAGE OF A WHITE SHIRT, SNOW ETC.), UNTIL YOU CAN SEE DETAILS OF THE WRINKLES, BUTTONS ETC.
TIP: ADJUST YOUR BLACK LEVEL FIRST. (BRIGHTNESS)
post #822 of 851 Old 06-18-2012, 08:26 AM

51" PV400 does anyone have new picture settings?
post #823 of 851 Old 07-10-2012, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just purchased the 60PV450. Could someone please tell me how to get into the menu where I can check the hours on the set? I got into a service menu that has all calibration setting & whatnot. I used a RCA remote that I used on a lg5700. I would just like to find a screen that would show how many hours the set has.
post #824 of 851 Old 07-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Liked: 12
If someone finds this post useful, great!
I have have a 60" PV450 and really like how it looks now.

I didn't really care for the settings that were posted earlier in this thread (but I do appreciate people sharing them). The settings were too dark, not vibrant and very.blah looking to me. I enjoy these settings much better.

Here's the picture settings that I have settled on after three months of owning the TV.
Dark's are dark, color's are bright (but not bleeding), white's are white.
These settings look really good on my set for cable TV and when using the HDMI input from my computer that is set for 1080p.

Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Sport
Contrast: 81
Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 54
Color: 42
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: W8

Advanced Control Section
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: Off
jimform2k1 and Blucliff like this.
post #825 of 851 Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Van Sykes View Post

If someone finds this post useful, great!
I have have a 60" PV450 and really like how it looks now.
I didn't really care for the settings that were posted earlier in this thread (but I do appreciate people sharing them). The settings were too dark, not vibrant and very.blah looking to me. I enjoy these settings much better.
Here's the picture settings that I have settled on after three months of owning the TV.
Dark's are dark, color's are bright (but not bleeding), white's are white.
These settings look really good on my set for cable TV and when using the HDMI input from my computer that is set for 1080p.
Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Sport
Contrast: 81
Brightness: 40
Sharpness: 54
Color: 42
Tint: 0
Color Temperature: W8
Advanced Control Section
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Off
Noise Reduction: Low
Gamma: Medium
Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
Color Gamut: Wide
Edge Enhancer: Off

thanks for your settings!
post #826 of 851 Old 07-23-2012, 06:12 AM

Does anyone have an explanation on why there are so many varying ranges of volume on some TVs? When I have my Xbox on, I am in the 7 to 10 audio level range for good sound. Live TV is around 13. DVR'd TV is around 25. Blu rays are usually around 35 to 40. I watched the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight blu rays over the weekend and had to turn the TV up to 90 in order to hear the movie at a good level. I do not have a sound system hooked up to the TV. I have read that some movies set their volume high, in order to take advantage of surround sound systems, but 90 seems pretty ridiculous. Do HDMI cables or anything like that play a role? Do the devices, like the particular blu ray player, have a big role? Or is it just disc to disc differences? Thanks
post #827 of 851 Old 08-07-2012, 09:11 AM

Hello fellow 60PV450 owners.

I apologize in advance as Im sure this subject comes up quite a bit and the fact that everyones preference in settings are subjective. I wanted to ask a general opinion about something that slightly bothers me about my set.

I noticed that many of you with your custom settings, etc have what seems like very low brightness. I used the Picture wizard and when it came to the recommended brightness example mine was around 60-65. This certainly made all those dark scenes in movies much more enjoyable to watch and finally I can see whats going on. However the issue I have is the color black now resembles more Gray than black. Especially apparent on the Bars at the top and bottom of some movies.

So is that just the way it is. The trade off of running bright that high that while it may allow me to see better in darker movies the trade off will be more gray than black? Or is there some other settings hidden deeper within, perhaps in the expert mode that may help me lower the brightness but gain a bit better view of darker scenes?

I'm using BlackNoir's posted settings but ran the Pic Wizard to fine tune the Bright, Contracts, Tint, etc. Those settings are currently:

Contrast - 80
Brightness - 60
H Sharpness - 40
V SHarpness - 50
Color - 50

Would anyone have any better recommendations on my settings?

THank you very much!
post #828 of 851 Old 08-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the setting will try out later.
post #829 of 851 Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have a question regarding the optical audio out on this TV. I have mine hooked up to an antenna on the roof, and I assume I get Dolby Digital as part of that signal. The TV has an optical audio out, and I've run that to my receiver, however, I cannot seem to get any sound passed through. Perhaps this is not possible? I can't seem to find a setting on the TV that relates to passing digital through from the tuner.
post #830 of 851 Old 08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
rfr

I'm wondering if anyone else feels like the severity of the flickering issue has lessened as the TV gets more use. I don't notice it at all now, even when I watch English Premier League footy. That used to be where it was at its worst. Or am I so used to it that I just don't see it?
post #831 of 851 Old 08-29-2012, 03:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
i still see picture brightness flutter no matter what's on the tv, it's 9 months old now & even had it pro calib'd, you "kinda" get used to it lol or i have biggrin.gif

"To the journey..
Sony KDL60W630b; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #832 of 851 Old 09-14-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

i still see picture brightness flutter no matter what's on the tv, it's 9 months old now & even had it pro calib'd, you "kinda" get used to it lol or i have biggrin.gif

I've had a 60PV250 since December. I can't help but see the color flicker occurring all the time. I'm having the board replaced next week, but not holding out much hope.
post #833 of 851 Old 09-14-2012, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post

My TV did the same thing with custom calibration settings. Switch back to one of the standard modes and it stops. Also make sure the sharpness isn't set very high. That makes it worse.
post #834 of 851 Old 11-12-2012, 08:38 PM

I've had the 60pv450 for quite awhile, but now it's time to move it to the bedroom. I'd love to mount it, but don't know which one would work best for this TV. Any suggestions on wall mounts?
post #835 of 851 Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used this one. The TV is heavy enough that the tilt settings don't stick no matter how much you crank on the knobs. So if you are cool with 15-degree down tilt, you can't go wrong for $25
https://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=182-322
post #836 of 851 Old 11-14-2012, 03:35 PM

I'd probably be okay with 15 degree down tilt, but I don't want to be committed to it. I'll probably try to find something else. I appreciate the suggestion though.
post #837 of 851 Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Never mind. Figured it out.
post #838 of 851 Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 PM

I have had the lg 60pv450 for a year now, but i cannot adjust the film mode no matter what settings I use. I am using a blu ray player watching a blu ray and i read that it has to be a 1080 i or p to adjust it. Does anyone have any comments on this?
post #839 of 851 Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Man, so I feel like I'm not crazy now but also irritated this seems to be a problem with some of our 60PV450s. I have the same flickering/color issues and my wife doesn't even notice it. I have messed and messed with the settings, called LG and they say it is not a known problem with these. I should screen-shot these posts and say, 'what about now?'

The guy who watches footy, same here! I first really noticed it watching my beloved Man U. You could see the grass flicker like the tv was trying to adjust the brightness. Or when watching a scene with tons of natural light, the bright white will flicker trying to adjust. And this is with ALL the dynamic and energy save and those settings OFF.

Has ANYONE found a solution? Will Costco take a tv back even after 9 months?

The sad thing is, I love this tv except for that.

Someone said others have 'gotten it fixed.' What does that mean?

thanks,

(addendum: 1/18/13 Ok, so I went and tried what another poster said about the brightness fluctuation not happening when you used a stock setting. Well, sure enough I am in the process of just tweaking the 'Cinema' setting into something I like more and I haven't seen the 'pops' so far. I hope it holds. The 'Cinema' setting is pretty dark, though (as some others have stated), so I may play with tweaking the 'Sport' setting a bit as well.)
post #840 of 851 Old 03-14-2013, 11:13 PM

I've owned this set for 18 months and the dim dull gray whites are my biggest complaints - esp as a hockey fan - and I've tuned my expert settings to get the best picture.
Watching hockey games (SJ Sharks esp) where their camera angles are focused just on the white ice makes the picture average instead of the usual amazing.

I've seen very few threads mentioning the lack of brightness for white scenes let alone addressing it.

I watched a Sharks game at my friend's Samsung LCD and was blown away how BRIGHT the game was - is there ANYTHING that can be done for us hockey fans?
(no sure if its a hard coded white limit or we can tune?)

thanks
Blucliff likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung , Lg , Plasma Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page