2011 LG XXPV450 and 400 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 845 Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 268
you are wrong about the film mode,film mode only work on interlace, no progresive mode... .1080i is interlace and you will be able to use the film mode but no in progresive like 480p 720p 1080p ect. film mode=Deinterlacing is the process of converting interlaced video, such as common analog television signals or 1080i format HDTV signals, into a non-interlaced form.
when the blue ray player is setup in 480p 720p 1080p the film mode is going to be off greyed out
but in 1080i you will be able to turn film mode on.hope understand this clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinterlacing

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos system for rooms/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 845 Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I setup the TV with the last set of specs provided.

I took a short video on how to navigate to the correct menu. The root is something like this:

Home : Picture : Picture Mode : Expert 1 or 2 : Expert Control

Video (Ignore the audio, I'm trying to swap it out)

http://youtu.be/KPHCf4GQVuc

Still showing the IRE Screen (you select the IRE and then change the 3 colors) It is going to take 5-10 minutes to change all the levels IRE 5-100.
LL

-Some people play hard to get, I play hard to want.
post #93 of 845 Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 PM

I also updated an old post about the mount I found for my mothers LG TV.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134402

post #94 of 845 Old 07-29-2011, 07:00 AM

Liked: 10
Hey guys I don't see a Game Mode on this tv it has Game in AV setting but i think that's only a preset picture option. This is my first plasma. Maybe plasmas don't need game mode because they don't lag like LCD?
post #95 of 845 Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz73187 View Post

Hey guys I don't see a Game Mode on this tv it has Game in AV setting but i think that's only a preset picture option. This is my first plasma. Maybe plasmas don't need game mode because they don't lag like LCD?

I'm an avid gamer. I game 90% of the time and watch a movie with the lady every other night. As far as I can tell. No, there isn't a game mode. But, it doesn't seem this set needs a game mode as the input lag is low enough that you can't feel it. I play a lot of fps and cod. Set works great for gaming. Oddly enough. Out of all my plasma sets. This one gets the least amount of IR. Practically none. Which is very surprising givin I didn't bother with a break in. Very 1st thing I did was plug in my system. Haven't had a single issue.
post #96 of 845 Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 AM

There is a "Game" setting under the Picture Menu. I assume that just adjusts the Brightness, Contrast, etc.

Is that what you are looking for?

post #97 of 845 Old 07-29-2011, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Pretty sure he's looking a a game mode. Not game picture setting. This set has a low enough lag that game mode isn't needed.
post #98 of 845 Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

I'm an avid gamer. I game 90% of the time and watch a movie with the lady every other night. As far as I can tell. No, there isn't a game mode. But, it doesn't seem this set needs a game mode as the input lag is low enough that you can't feel it. I play a lot of fps and cod. Set works great for gaming. Oddly enough. Out of all my plasma sets. This one gets the least amount of IR. Practically none. Which is very surprising givin I didn't bother with a break in. Very 1st thing I did was plug in my system. Haven't had a single issue.

thx. I didn't notice any lag when playin cod on pro settings or game so I'll game on pro
post #99 of 845 Old 07-30-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm officially starting to think this set will never had burn in. I played zombies last night. Anyone who's played know the game takes hours to go up to high levels. Anyway. I literally played a game for 7hours strait. Not a single break. When done. I put the tv on regular video. Not a single sign if IR. Boy was I surprised.
post #100 of 845 Old 07-30-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpraider View Post

Read some disturbing things about lg plasma input lag from last year. Anyone run a lag test on this model? I'm still able to dominate on black ops, but I'm coming from an LCD so I suppose even the worst plasma blows the lag on lcds out of the water?

I find that contrast in the 90s is very helpful. I bought a TV Calibration DVD which was worthless. The LG live and e-mail suggestions were excellent for my Plasma and my LG Blu ray player. My 50 inch plasma is seven months old and knock on wood it has been great. And I run it about 12 hours a day.
post #101 of 845 Old 07-30-2011, 03:15 PM

I paid $599.00 for my 50 inch LG so looks like you did good.
post #102 of 845 Old 07-30-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Read some disturbing things about lg plasma input lag from last year. Anyone run a lag test on this model? I'm still able to dominate on black ops, but I'm coming from an LCD so I suppose even the worst plasma blows the lag on lcds out of the water?

I find that contrast in the 90s is very helpful. I bought a TV Calibration DVD which was worthless. The LG live and e-mail suggestions were excellent for my Plasma and my LG Blu ray player. My 50 inch plasma is seven months old and knock on wood it has been great. And I run it about 12 hours a day.
post #103 of 845 Old 07-30-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halodadson View Post

I paid $599.00 for my 50 inch LG so looks like you did good.

How is everyone getting these sets so cheap!? I paid 1400 for my 60 inch. Did I get a bad deal?
post #104 of 845 Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 AM

I just had a question about IR on the pv400. I play my ps3 on this set and find that I have IR after an hour or so of game play using blacknoirs settings. I am exclusively playing Midnight Club and after an hour when I go back to the PS3's menu I can see a ghost image of my speedometer from the game. It's not bad but it is there.

Does it help if after I notice IR to run full screen video until IR disappears and on the same note will it harm the tv if I just turn it off with IR showing? The reason I ask is because when I turn the TV back on the next day the IR has not faded. I would venture to guess I have about 50 hours on the TV 1/2 spent gaming the other 1/2 watching full screen video. This is my first plasma so I appreciate any and all input.
post #105 of 845 Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglu44 View Post

I just had a question about IR on the pv400. I play my ps3 on this set and find that I have IR after an hour or so of game play using blacknoirs settings. I am exclusively playing Midnight Club and after an hour when I go back to the PS3's menu I can see a ghost image of my speedometer from the game. It's not bad but it is there.

Does it help if after I notice IR to run full screen video until IR disappears and on the same note will it harm the tv if I just turn it off with IR showing? The reason I ask is because when I turn the TV back on the next day the IR has not faded. I would venture to guess I have about 50 hours on the TV 1/2 spent gaming the other 1/2 watching full screen video. This is my first plasma so I appreciate any and all input.

I'd leave something on the screen till it goes away. Although I am very surprised your even getting IR. Sounds like your even getting close to burn in. Which is odd because I'm getting the exact opposite. 90% of this set has been used for playing black ops. I haven't had a single sign of burn it. No IR as well. Use the color wash feature on the set still the image goes away. That's what I'd try.
post #106 of 845 Old 08-01-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm noticing absolutely zero IR as well and I play COD for several hours most nights. I haven't even had to use any of the washing features. I notice lag sometimes, but I think it's just network lag, nothing to with the set.
post #107 of 845 Old 08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm noticing absolutely zero IR as well and I play COD for several hours most nights. I haven't even had to use any of the washing features. I notice lag sometimes, but I think it's just network lag, nothing to with the set.

Same here. Which is why I'm a bit surprised the other guy is having such extreme problems. I can literally play 12+hours and I still don't get a single hint of IR. Bit of a surprise considering my more expensive plasma sets always show my ammo count.

As for lag. I don't notice any. I think it's the game and not the set.
post #108 of 845 Old 08-02-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

I play mostly hardcore, so I didn't know if that was why. Man I hate the new maps. But I usually hate them all when they're new. I love discovery now, so hopefully, I will come to love hazard.
post #109 of 845 Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I play mostly hardcore, so I didn't know if that was why. Man I hate the new maps. But I usually hate them all when they're new. I love discovery now, so hopefully, I will come to love hazard.

I've literally played maybe two games of hardcore. I can't stand it. Every campers dream lol.

I'm liking the new maps. Drive in is my new fav.
post #110 of 845 Old 08-03-2011, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

I don't find it more campy, but people actually die when you shoot them. Also, you have to check your lines of fire and can't throw nades all over the place hoping you get a lucky kill. All that being said, I don't play TDM much. That IS campy in every form. But to each his own. I also like the competitive play lists. Seems like it's in the middle between core and hardcore as far as damage per hit marker.
post #111 of 845 Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

You may not camp. But hardcore means camp lol.
post #112 of 845 Old 08-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Well add me to the list of happy owners of this set so far!

We just remodeled our living room a few months ago that resulted in the viewing distance increasing from 11 feet to 15 feet. We had a Sony 52Z5100 52inch LCD before, and were going to live with the larger distance for awhile being that we just had a baby and are a little tighter on finances now. However, I happened to see the 60 inch LG pv450 on sale at Sears this week and came across this thread during my research. All I have to say is WOW for the price that I paid! I have only watched about 4 hours of mixed programming so far, but I am astounded at the color reproduction, even with the default settings. It only got better after some tweaking. Motion is handled very well, I have an older 50 inch 720p Panny that judder and phosphur trails were horrible on, that's what prompted me to get the Sony last year.

As far as glare, yes the filter is much more reflective than the Panny ST30 that I was also looking at, however, I never really understood the whole concern to begin with. I have this set upstairs with windows, and of course there are reflections on a bright sunny day, however, with most AR filters that I have looked at, they just diffuse the reflections onto a larger area. My Sony LCD had a really nice filter, however when light would hit it, the screen would get washed out in that area instead of a small reflection. That was actually more annoying than the LG to me. To each his own I guess, but the reflections on this set don't bother me at all.......they are much worse on my 4 year old Panny plasma.............and I don't remember them bothering me back then either....,LOL!

As for black level, yes, not as good as the ST30, but its not bad. I watched some Underworld clips and it looked really good in a dark room, just as good if not better than my Sony LCD which got really high marks for black level in the reviews I read at the time.

Bottom line, excellent value if you don't need 3D, and you don't mind some minor screen reflections in a bright room.
post #113 of 845 Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

People should post up some pics of there sets! I'll post mine in a bit!
post #114 of 845 Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Got this set. It isn't bad. It's only problem is black level. Sucks pretty bad. But I expected that givin the price of this set and size. One thing I can't seem to find is any anti burn in features. This set doesn't have any? That worries me a little bit.

I just bought this TV.....
The PQ is stunning and the colors are nice and rich, BUT the one big issue is black level. At least that's what I think it is. I find the overall picture to be quite dark, especially scenes at night....you can barely make out what is on the screen. I have it on cinema mode but brightness is cranked and still pretty dark. I tried the expert mode settings that someone posted, and had to crank the brightness to 65 just to get it looking sort of normal.....only to have scenes with normal lighting look too bright.

Also, I notice sometimes, that when it switches from a dark to a light scene in a movie for example, the picture almost self adjusts....you can see it flicker and dim some when it switches to a bright scene.

Am I the only one who finds this TV very dark, and not bright at all? I wonder if it's a bad set, and I need to exchange for a new one?
post #115 of 845 Old 08-05-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynucleo View Post

The PQ is stunning and the colors are nice and rich, BUT the one big issue is black level. At least that's what I think it is. I find the overall picture to be quite dark, especially scenes at night....you can barely make out what is on the screen. I have it on cinema mode but brightness is cranked and still pretty dark. I tried the expert mode settings that someone posted, and had to crank the brightness to 65 just to get it looking sort of normal.....only to have scenes with normal lighting look too bright.

Also, I notice sometimes, that when it switches from a dark to a light scene in a movie for example, the picture almost self adjusts....you can see it flicker and dim some when it switches to a bright scene.

Am I the only one who finds this TV very dark, and not bright at all? I wonder if it's a bad set, and I need to exchange for a new one?

I think you have the light sensor on you need to turn that off
post #116 of 845 Old 08-05-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynucleo View Post

Check your energy saver modes. Sounds like you have em on.
post #117 of 845 Old 08-06-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Figured we should show each other our current set ups of our new TV! Sorry for the crappy pics. I'm not very good at taking pictures.

post #118 of 845 Old 08-07-2011, 06:43 AM

I just got my 50PV450 yesterday. It took 3 weeks to get it from Amazon, but it was worth the wait! I used Blacknoir's settings, and it looks great! I do notice that IR happens fairly quickly with static images, but it seems to clear up after a few minutes. I turned the contrast down to 60 and the brightness to 50, and it doesn't appear to happen quite as quickly. Has anyone else experienced heavy IR issues with their sets? I think that's my main concern at the moment, at least during the break-in period.
post #119 of 845 Old 08-07-2011, 03:10 PM

I see a lot of owners of the PV400/450 seem a tad unsatisfied with the black levels on these sets. When watching a widescreen movie with black bars in a dark room, how easy is it to tell the difference from the black bezel and the black bars produced by the TV?

How much heat are these guys producing? A lot of plasma TVs can easily warm up small rooms, so I'd be curious what the consensus is on these units heat output.

johnnynucleo seems to be referencing some fluctuating brightness issues. Does this set exhibit the same problems as the Panasonic ST/GT models, or is it merely the sensor acting up? Thanks!
post #120 of 845 Old 08-07-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coligion View Post

I see a lot of owners of the PV400/450 seem a tad unsatisfied with the black levels on these sets. When watching a widescreen movie with black bars in a dark room, how easy is it to tell the difference from the black bezel and the black bars produced by the TV?

How much heat are these guys producing? A lot of plasma TVs can easily warm up small rooms, so I'd be curious what the consensus is on these units heat output.

johnnynucleo seems to be referencing some fluctuating brightness issues. Does this set exhibit the same problems as the Panasonic ST/GT models, or is it merely the sensor acting up? Thanks!

Well, I have to say that although the black levels are not outstanding on an all black screen, I just watched Tron Legacy last night and I was quite impressed! I also noticed that the black bars while watching blurays are not very noticeable, even in completely dark room, much better than my Sony Z series LCD which this set replaced......and I thought that set had great black levels. The only fluctuation that I notice is in scene changes if you run the dynamic contrast on high, on low its barely noticeable, and with it off the issue disappears completely. Heat level is much lower than my 4 year old Panny, but that's all I can really compare it to.

The more I watch this set the more I love it........and I just got another $110 off this set for a price match from Sears where I got it because ABC warehouse had it on sale for a better price this week............so that really made my day!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic , Samsung , Lg , Plasma Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page