Auto brightness limiters (abl) in plasma sets - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 161 Old 03-23-2014, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 179
yeah
i bought the LG OLED also but for the toilet.

great tv to have when you take a dump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 161 Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
lol, not sure if serious. wink.gif
post #153 of 161 Old 03-23-2014, 05:48 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

lol, not sure if serious. wink.gif

Makes sense if he's talking about the G Flex. biggrin.gif What? Don't tell me you've never used smartphones while making a bowel movement. biggrin.gif
post #154 of 161 Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

That's another reason I'm looking forward to OLED. This guy is the biggest power hog in the household next to the A/C. eek.gif

The Plasma's roughly cost around $27.25 a year,
is that too much for most peoples Budget...
I don't think it is.
LCD's cost $13.39 so the extra $13.86
is worth it to me to have a much better Picture Quality.
OLED is still years away from being affordable for
the Average American.
post #155 of 161 Old 03-24-2014, 02:23 AM

With the new helfcare insurance law (coupled with penalties) on the books that you recently opined about, every little bit of savings helps. And that number per year varies depending on usage. If a family member is home the majority of the time, it can have an even greater effect. Using the 620W as the figure and a viewing time of 8 hours per day, that's a cost of almost $245 per year. An example of a 65" max value for LCD is 240W, which is 2.6X less power consumption giving you a yearly cost of almost $91. These differences become even more pronounced when you add in more TVs.

And once you see an OLED, you'll forget about your precious blinding white F8500.
post #156 of 161 Old 03-24-2014, 06:22 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:

With the new helfcare insurance law (coupled with penalties) on the books that you recently opined about, every little bit of savings helps. And that number per year varies depending on usage. If a family member is home the majority of the time, it can have an even greater effect. Using the 620W as the figure and a viewing time of 8 hours per day, that's a cost of almost $245 per year. An example of a 65" max value for LCD is 240W, which is 2.6X less power consumption giving you a yearly cost of almost $91. These differences become even more pronounced when you add in more TVs.

And once you see an OLED, you'll forget about your precious blinding white F8500.

I value input lag and motion performance over contrast ratio, so the F8500 will be the best compromise for me for a while. If I buy an OLED now, I won't be able actually able to take care of its superior brightness over the F8500 anyways as current OLEDs are ticking bombs when it comes to blue phosphor lifespan. Even with Kateeva, it's still 40,000 hours half-life under best case scenario. LG may or may not get the yield running, but it will still be a while before its lifespan comes close to plasmas.
post #157 of 161 Old 03-28-2014, 12:42 AM

For the record, Kof, I was responding to someone who was using multiple accounts to spam multiple threads about the superiority of his panel of choice. The LG OLED is not subject to the blue phosphor lifetime limitation like the Samsung since the former uses light filters to recreate colors. As with most displays, it's a power supply or board (or 2) that fails well before the panel proper does. 30,000 versus 100,000 is not really anything to get worked up about in the practical sense. Even with 6 hours of use a day, you still have almost 14 years before you reach half-life (up it to 8 hours a day and you still have over 10 hours of theoretical usable life). There's no guarantee motion performance improvements will come, though it's pretty good now. 60 fps and higher takes the biggest hit, and the matter of input lag is on the cusp of sufficient...the 2013 models are now mostly discontinued, so let's see what 2014 brings.
post #158 of 161 Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:

For the record, Kof, I was responding to someone who was using multiple accounts to spam multiple threads about the superiority of his panel of choice. The LG OLED is not subject to the blue phosphor lifetime limitation like the Samsung since the former uses light filters to recreate colors. As with most displays, it's a power supply or board (or 2) that fails well before the panel proper does. 30,000 versus 100,000 is not really anything to get worked up about in the practical sense. Even with 6 hours of use a day, you still have almost 14 years before you reach half-life (up it to 8 hours a day and you still have over 10 hours of theoretical usable life). There's no guarantee motion performance improvements will come, though it's pretty good now. 60 fps and higher takes the biggest hit, and the matter of input lag is on the cusp of sufficient...the 2013 models are now mostly discontinued, so let's see what 2014 brings.

W-OLED is still not immune to phosphor aging though. Samsung knew they couldn't go up against LG's W-OLED with light filter so they used two blue subpixels per each red and green phosphors to increase lifespan. The result is extremely expensive cost on top of their already expensive RGB subpixel array compared with the LG's W-OLED color filter method. I really doubt the 2013 one you've purchased has half-life anywhere near 30,000 even for a W-OLED. Even Kateeva's inkjet printing tech has 40,000 under best case scenario only.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ahk1VY3qIkPQdFhZenN0aFFBeW5lZEE1Qko0d183Q1E&single=true&gid=0&output=html

(Color drift of an edge-lit IPS LCD monitor)

http://blogfiles.naver.net/20140312_105/howardkim_1394612587825gYNW9_JPEG/2014-03-12_%BF%C0%C8%C4_5-19-43.jpg

(Luminance lose of the same LCD monitor for a period of 30 days. The total lose was about 33 cd/m2)

Current LCDs use white LEDs, yet they are still not safe from color drifting and luminance lose, compounded further because of edge-lit use. An edge-lit should have a half-life of 60,000 hours, imagine how much worse with the OLEDs. Even if you try your best to keep your LG OLED's peak luminance equal to your ZT60, it's still not safe because the ZT60 also has worse ABL, so you really have to keep your LG OLED dimmer than that if you ever hope to have an equal footing against the ZT60. For someone who would like to actually use high luminance with his self-emissive display, he would be served better with the F8500 than the current OLEDs if lifespan is a concern as well.
post #159 of 161 Old 03-28-2014, 02:46 AM

We'll see how the aging algorithms compensate in due time, but I'm not going to be too frantic about it. If I focus too much on what might happen and how soon it will happen, I would be sweating about the failure of the ZT60's fans resulting in overheating given they are running whenever the panel is on. Ext. warranties are good for both of these types of concerns. Kateeva has only just launched its printer in the last several months...LG has a $650 million fab ready to go live in the next 5 months based on this very process, so there is a lot riding on a modicum of stability. Of course, all LEDs lose luminance over time, this being a physical reality I cannot escape, including all the lightbulbs that I've fitted into my place. smile.gif
post #160 of 161 Old 03-28-2014, 04:03 AM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:

We'll see how the aging algorithms compensate in due time, but I'm not going to be too frantic about it. If I focus too much on what might happen and how soon it will happen, I would be sweating about the failure of the ZT60's fans resulting in overheating given they are running whenever the panel is on. Ext. warranties are good for both of these types of concerns. Kateeva has only just launched its printer in the last several months...LG has a $650 million fab ready to go live in the next 5 months based on this very process, so there is a lot riding on a modicum of stability. Of course, all LEDs lose luminance over time, this being a physical reality I cannot escape, including all the lightbulbs that I've fitted into my place. smile.gif

Doesn't your LG at least have an auto white balance correction feature? The first time LG has shown their 55 inch OLED at CES had it, so it must be included with the production model I assume? While it's still no replacement for a re-calibration by the pros, it should still come in handy. Sony's X4500 used one too because at that time, they were using RGB LEDs, so white balance drift was more common than the W-OLED one they use now.

Like I said before, as long as you use brightness about equal to your ZT60, shouldn't be too much of a concern even with brightness drop. Still, it would be a good idea to use an orbitor all the time. I sometimes forget to turn back on an orbitor for my Panasonic S60, and IR comes in very quickly. It still goes away quickly so it's no big deal. No such luxury can be afforded with an OLED yet though. Better be careful.

Anyways, how much do you like your OLED over your ZT60 or your previous Kuro for that matter? I wonder why you don't take a return if you have a few bad pixels?
post #161 of 161 Old 03-28-2014, 01:15 PM

I'm not sure if it has the former feature. That will take some research. I don't want to rely on my memory versus the Kuro because that may be inaccurate, but the motion is preferable on both the plasmas but only just. It is also highly configurable (similar to other high-end sample-and-hold TVs, I suspect), so there will be more experimentation involved. Other than that and size, it's the LG by a long shot. I am actually not actively matching the subdued ZT brightness in THX Mode but do find it eye-searing in dark rooms as a result. I did not even seen a pixel orbital feature in the settings. The reason I don't want to switch out for another is due to the hassle and the fact that what I receive back might be just as bad or worse (I haven't heard of anyone getting one with flawless pixels yet, including HDTVTest's reviewed unit....and for that matter, my ZT has one as did a Kuro I owned). LG will purportedly repair/replace even for one bad pixel on these, so that's something I might look into.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page