Panasonic 50" VT30 or 55" ST30 for same price? PQ vs Size - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: What would you get? PQ vs Size... for the same price.
Panasonic 50" VT30 0 0%
Panasonic 55" ST30 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I am considering getting one of the two above plasmas. I am still debating with myself whether the PQ is more important than the extra 5". I am leaning towards the 55ST30.

What do you guys reckon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My ST30 looks great and even though the VT is better I would def go with the bigger size.

Gamertag: Ikazu
Old 07-17-2011, 09:25 PM

I have the exact same query. Would be great to hear what the popular opinion is. I'm also leaning towards the bigger ST.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:31 PM

Liked: 11
I usually recommend bigger over quality simply for the fact that everyone can notice the bigger drewn whereas not everyone will be able to notice the difference between the vt30 and the st30.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:01 PM

I will never understand the notion of quantity > quality

If you dont care about the much superior picture, and just want size, then you might as well go dlp.

I always go by quality > quantity in life. If I could have a 40" OLED I would easily take it over any size plasma.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 AM

[quote="3reach"]I will never understand the notion of quantity > quality

If you dont care about the much superior picture, and just want size, then you might as well go dlp.

I always go by quality > quantity in life. If I could have a 40" OLED I would easily take it over any size plasma.[/QUOTE

WELL GOOD FOR YOU! I OWN THE 65GT30 AND IT IS MOST DEFINITELY QUALITY AND QUANTITY,ALL THREE OF THE 2011 PANASONIC 3D HDTV'S ARE VERY HIGH QUALITY, HIGHER END HDTV'S,AND HAVE EXCELLENT PICTURES,THE DIFFERANCES BETWEEN THE VT,GT,AND ST ARE SUBTLE AT BEST,WHEN IT COME'S TO OVERALL PICTURE QUALITY !!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[quote=luckyman777go;20708069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3reach View Post

I always go by quality > quantity in life. If I could have a 40" OLED I would easily take it over any size plasma.[/QUOTE

WELL GOOD FOR YOU! I OWN THE 65GT30 AND IT IS MOST DEFINITELY QUALITY AND QUANTITY,ALL THREE OF THE 2011 PANASONIC 3D HDTV'S ARE VERY HIGH QUALITY, HIGHER END HDTV'S,AND HAVE EXCELLENT PICTURES,THE DIFFERANCES BETWEEN THE VT,GT,AND ST ARE SUBTLE AT BEST,WHEN IT COME'S TO PICTURE QUALITY,WITH THE VT AND GT,SEEMING TO BE A TAD BRIGHTER THAN THE ST30 AND HAVING BETTER BLACK LEVELS,SLIGHTLY RICHER COLOR REPRODUCTION AND MORE FEATURES.THE VT AND GT ARE NECK AND NECK, CONTRARY TO MOST OF WHAT YOU HAVE READ AND HEARD,WITH THE ST COMING IN AT A CLOSE 2ND OR 3RD DEPENDING ON YOUR PERSONAL SCORE CARDS,AND HOW THESE PANASONICS LOOK TO YOUR OWN EYES,TO ME, ALL THREE LOOK AWESOME,WITH THE VT (MINUS Fbr) AND GT LOOKING THE VERY BEST,I PREFER THE LARGER SCREEN SIZES (60"- 65") THE VT55" WAS UNDERSIZED FOR MY SPACE.I OWNED BOTH VT AND GT 30 SERIES,AND KEPT MY 65GT30,WITCH HAS A BETTER PICTURE OVERALL, COMPARED TO MY FORMER 55VT30. MY GT IS NEAR PERFECT. WHEN SHOPPING,I ALSO CONSIDERED THE 65ST30.MY (55VT30-MFD-3-2011) HAD WAY TO MUCH Fbr GOING ON, I OWNED IT FOR 30 DAYS,MY GT30 IS SO MUCH BETTER!! (65GT30-MFD-6-2011) AND NO DLP CAN HOLD A CANDLE TO THE ST30 LET ALONE THE VT30 AND GT30, WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO OVERALL PICTURE QUALITY !!!! ALL OF PANASONICS 2011 3D HDTVS ARE STATE OF THE ART !!!! FEATURES AND DESIGN ARE WHAT TRULY SET THEM APART. THE VT AND GT ARE,BOTH VERY THIN AND SLEEK DESIGNS,THE ST30 IS THICKER AND NOT QUITE AS SLEEK. THE BEST BLACK LEVELS,BRIGHTNESS,CONTRAST,COLOR ACCURACY AND OVERALL PICTURE QUALITY,IN ORDER,OF VERY BEST TO SECOND,AND,THIRD RUNNER UP'S,VT,GT,ST IN ORDER,ACCORDING TO THE PRO'S,#1.(VT30) #2.(GT30) #3.(ST30) ALL THREE HAVE TESTED VERY WELL,BOTH IN THE STATES AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD INCLUDING EUROPE (U.K.) BUY THE MODEL YOU CAN AFFORD AND JUDGE WITH YOUR OWN EYE'S, THEN CHOOSE BY THE FEATURES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU !!!! ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG! !!!! GOOD LUCK,WITH YOUR DECISION !!!! AND OLED IS PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE AT THIS TIME! ESPECIALLY IN THE LARGER SIZES,SUCH AS A 65 INCH, WITCH THERE ARE NONE. THE LARGEST OLED TO DATE IS 26 INCHES AND IS NOT FOR SALE TO THE GENERAL POPULATION,THINK,ULTRA WEALTHY,AND EVEN THEN,ONLY MAYBE !!!! SONY HAS A VERY SMALL OLED FOR SALE,WITH A PRICE TAG RIGHT AROUND,2000$OR SO! (STREET PRICE) CHECK OUT AMAZON.COM'S PRICE FOR THE 50"/55"/60"/65" GT30 AND ST30. THEY ARE ALL VERY LOW,W/FREE SUPER SAVER SHIPPING,AND THE SAME FOR THE VT30,55"/65" THOSE ARE THE ONLY TWO SIZES AVAILABLE IN THE STATES FOR VT30. KEEP IN MIND,THAT WITH FLAT PANEL HDTV'S,THE BIGGER THE BETTER, 50"- 65" WORKS FOR MOST PEOPLE, IN THERE MAIN VIEWING ROOM. YOU WILL LATER REGRET PURCHASING TO SMALL A DISPLAY.YOUR AIM SHOULD BE TO RECREATE AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE, AT HOME,THE THEATRE EXPERIENCE,WITHIN YOUR BUDGET. THUS, THAT IS WHY WE REFER TO IT AS,HOME THEATRE !!!!

Do you really expect people to read this?

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
Old 07-18-2011, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

For only a 5 inch difference, I'd go for quality over quantity any day. Since I bought my plasma last year, TVs that I used to think look great now look pretty bad. I also notice things that I wish were improved on my set (Samsung PN50C7000).

How far will you be sitting from the TV?

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
I had a 50ST30 and I returned it for a 55ST30 and the 5 inches was a big improvement. I only sit about 7 or 8 feet from the screen so it made a big difference for me. The VT is a great TV but I think most non videophiles will be happy with the ST. Unless they get one that has the floating brightness issue which I have never had an issue with on the 50 or the 55. I have seen it in videos on YouTube and its looks like it would be annoying.

@luckyman777go - You really need to do some yoga or something. All that pent up anger is not good for a person. I hope your keyboard survived!
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:

WELL GOOD FOR YOU! I OWN THE 65GT30 AND IT IS MOST DEFINITELY QUALITY AND QUANTITY,ALL THREE OF THE 2011 PANASONIC 3D HDTV'S ARE VERY HIGH QUALITY, HIGHER END HDTV'S,AND HAVE EXCELLENT PICTURES,THE DIFFERANCES BETWEEN THE VT,GT,AND ST ARE SUBTLE AT BEST,WHEN IT COME'S TO PICTURE QUALITY,WITH THE VT AND GT,SEEMING TO BE A TAD BRIGHTER THAN THE ST30 AND HAVING BETTER BLACK LEVELS,SLIGHTLY RICHER COLOR REPRODUCTION AND MORE FEATURES.THE VT AND GT ARE NECK AND NECK, CONTRARY TO MOST OF WHAT YOU HAVE READ AND HEARD,WITH THE ST COMING IN AT A CLOSE 2ND OR 3RD DEPENDING ON YOUR PERSONAL SCORE CARDS,AND HOW THESE PANASONICS LOOK TO YOUR OWN EYES,TO ME, ALL THREE LOOK AWESOME,WITH THE VT (MINUS Fbr) AND GT LOOKING THE VERY BEST,I PREFER THE LARGER SCREEN SIZES (60"- 65") THE VT55" WAS UNDERSIZED FOR MY SPACE.I OWNED BOTH VT AND GT 30 SERIES,AND KEPT MY 65GT30,WITCH HAS A BETTER PICTURE OVERALL, COMPARED TO MY FORMER 55VT30. MY GT IS NEAR PERFECT. WHEN SHOPPING,I ALSO CONSIDERED THE 65ST30.MY (55VT30-MFD-3-2011) HAD WAY TO MUCH Fbr GOING ON, I OWNED IT FOR 30 DAYS,MY GT30 IS SO MUCH BETTER!! (65GT30-MFD-6-2011) AND NO DLP CAN HOLD A CANDLE TO THE ST30 LET ALONE THE VT30 AND GT30, WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO OVERALL PICTURE QUALITY !!!! ALL OF PANASONICS 2011 3D HDTVS ARE STATE OF THE ART !!!! FEATURES AND DESIGN ARE WHAT TRULY SET THEM APART. THE VT AND GT ARE,BOTH VERY THIN AND SLEEK DESIGNS,THE ST30 IS THICKER AND NOT QUITE AS SLEEK. THE BEST BLACK LEVELS,BRIGHTNESS,CONTRAST,COLOR ACCURACY AND OVERALL PICTURE QUALITY,IN ORDER,OF VERY BEST TO SECOND,AND,THIRD RUNNER UP'S,VT,GT,ST IN ORDER,ACCORDING TO THE PRO'S,#1.(VT30) #2.(GT30) #3.(ST30) ALL THREE HAVE TESTED VERY WELL,BOTH IN THE STATES AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD INCLUDING EUROPE (U.K.) BUY THE MODEL YOU CAN AFFORD AND JUDGE WITH YOUR OWN EYE'S, THEN CHOOSE BY THE FEATURES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU !!!! ANY WAY YOU SLICE IT YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG! !!!! GOOD LUCK,WITH YOUR DECISION !!!! AND OLED IS PROHIBITIVELY EXPENSIVE AT THIS TIME! ESPECIALLY IN THE LARGER SIZES,SUCH AS A 65 INCH, WITCH THERE ARE NONE. THE LARGEST OLED TO DATE IS 26 INCHES AND IS NOT FOR SALE TO THE GENERAL POPULATION,THINK,ULTRA WEALTHY,AND EVEN THEN,ONLY MAYBE !!!! SONY HAS A VERY SMALL OLED FOR SALE,WITH A PRICE TAG RIGHT AROUND,2000$OR SO! (STREET PRICE) CHECK OUT AMAZON.COM'S PRICE FOR THE 50"/55"/60"/65" GT30 AND ST30. THEY ARE ALL VERY LOW,W/FREE SUPER SAVER SHIPPING,AND THE SAME FOR THE VT30,55"/65" THOSE ARE THE ONLY TWO SIZES AVAILABLE IN THE STATES FOR VT30. KEEP IN MIND,THAT WITH FLAT PANEL HDTV'S,THE BIGGER THE BETTER, 50"- 65" WORKS FOR MOST PEOPLE, IN THERE MAIN VIEWING ROOM. YOU WILL LATER REGRET PURCHASING TO SMALL A DISPLAY.YOUR AIM SHOULD BE TO RECREATE AS CLOSELY AS POSSIBLE, AT HOME,THE THEATRE EXPERIENCE,WITHIN YOUR BUDGET. THUS, THAT IS WHY WE REFER TO IT AS,HOME THEATRE !!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying the VT30 but I've red in a forum that it has some issues,so do you guy's recommend it or do you think I should wait until next year or until something better comes up.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM

[quote=luckyman777go;20708069]
Quote:

Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:

I always go by quality > quantity in life. If I could have a 40" OLED I would easily take it over any size plasma.

because i'd rather have a better experience for watching things (larger = better experience) than have to sit closer to notice the small increase in picture quality. if you're comparing a 2002 vizio vs a VT30 i can understand your argument, but when you're comparing an ST30 and a VT30 the improvement in picture quality will be hard to distinguish for a non-videophile especially when you watch it alone (without directly comparing it everyday to a "superior" tv).
Old 07-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
55" is bordering on too small. No question go with the 55" st. I say buy the 60" st it's not much more. I had a 52" LCD and watching a movie is soooo much better on a bigger screen. 50" is too small for a home theater experience. For a bedroom, sure but not your main tv.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying the VT30 but I've red in a forum that it has some issues,so do you guy's recommend it or do you think I should wait until next year or until something better comes up.

It is the best TV to get this year but all TVs have issues or defective builds so waiting till next year might get a model with better features/picture but it is not going to be perfect.
Oh and I still recommend going with the bigger ST, I doubt you will notice the difference in picture but you will notice the difference is size every single day.

Gamertag: Ikazu
Old 07-18-2011, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micker View Post

55" is bordering on too small. No question go with the 55" st. I say buy the 60" st it's not much more. I had a 52" LCD and watching a movie is soooo much better on a bigger screen. 50" is too small for a home theater experience. For a bedroom, sure but not your main tv.

Depends on the room really.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 07-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheovnien View Post

because i'd rather have a better experience for watching things (larger = better experience) than have to sit closer to notice the small increase in picture quality. if you're comparing a 2002 vizio vs a VT30 i can understand your argument, but when you're comparing an ST30 and a VT30 the improvement in picture quality will be hard to distinguish for a non-videophile especially when you watch it alone (without directly comparing it everyday to a "superior" tv).

Then why not drop to a lower model (say an S30) and go bigger?

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew View Post

Then why not drop to a lower model (say an S30) and go bigger?

it wasn't one of the choices. having said that, i'm not familiar with the S30 other than the fact that it doesn't have 3D. is that the only difference compared to the ST30? if so, and the OP doesn't care for 3D then i would definitely recommend it.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

it wasn't one of the choices. having said that, i'm not familiar with the S30 other than the fact that it doesn't have 3D. is that the only difference compared to the ST30? if so, and the OP doesn't care for 3D then i would definitely recommend it.

IMHO, the S30's picture is not at all in the same league as the ST/GT/VT sets. Those three have much more in common than the S30 has with the ST30.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM

I think it depends on the space (and maybe the primary user's eyesight too).

For my space where I am about 8 feet away I would go with a higher quality 50-55" over a lower-quality 55-65". Part of this is at 55" I can already start to see some dithering. A 60-65" would actually bring a PQ decrease at this distance IMO (unless like from the previous bracket the viewer's eyes are far below 20/20 then bigger would be better).

Now at 10-12+ feet I think size would be king for sure IMO. I'm seeing that I could get a 60ST30 for less than I paid for my 55VT30, or maybe a 65ST30 for about the same price if I waited for a similar sale. I would definitely go for that if I was watching from 12+ feet away as dithering isn't going to be visible either way and 55" or smaller would not be as immersive from such a distance.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I like the PQ of my 50 inch st30.. so if you are going to save a lot of money get the st50
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It was a rhetorical question. Clearly, there's a point where you'd rather have size and a point where you'd rather have picture quality. From the reviews I've seen, I'd give up the 5 inches to get the superior picture quality. If we were talking 46 inches VS 55 inches, then it would be a much harder decision.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM

the right anwer is go bigger however i would buy the vt30 cuz i don't care for size

does vt30 have more inputs???
Old 07-18-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 81
From what I've read, the ST30 still has a really good picture, and as others have said the S30 doesn't even compare.

5" doesn't sound like much, but it's actually 21% bigger area.

http://www.displaywars.com/50-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9

For regular viewing I'll be about 10-12' away. For movie nights I'll be about 6-8' away.
I also have really good eyesight, It was 20/10 a few years ago, (although it may have worsened since then, but I don't think so.)

Is the 50VT30 picture quality difference really worth the 17.36% smaller area than the 55ST30?
Old 07-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

From what I've read, the ST30 still has a really good picture, and as others have said the S30 doesn't even compare.

5" doesn't sound like much, but it's actually 21% bigger area.

http://www.displaywars.com/50-inch-16x9-vs-55-inch-16x9

For regular viewing I'll be about 10-12' away. For movie nights I'll be about 6-8' away.
I also have really good eyesight, It was 20/10 a few years ago, (although it may have worsened since then, but I don't think so.)

Is the 50VT30 picture quality difference really worth the 17.36% smaller area than the 55ST30?

At 10-12 feet, the ST30 may be preferable. At 6-8 feet, definitely the VT30

You should read up on the reviews because only you can decide what's more important for you. If the few shortcomings of the ST series won't bother you then the extra size would be nice.

For me, I went with a 50 inch plasma. There are a few occasions when I wish I had gone larger (though I would want much larger, as in at least a foot), but on more occasions I wish I had better PQ (shadow detail on my set will, at times, look artificial and I sometimes wish the blacks were a little darker on dim scenes -- but like I said "at times," my set is not calibrated, and I'm usually fine with the blacks).

My friend has a 55 inch TV and I can't really tell the difference when I get home.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers

Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:

1) Size doesnt mean anything. As long as you sit the appropriate distance for a display, you will notice the difference between any display. All you gain from a bigger display is a more "home theater" experience. I could care less about that. I want top PQ. I sit close to all my tvs anyways. I would easily take a 40" OLED over anything I could care less about how big it is, if the picture isnt reference and inferior, I dont want it.

2) Small increase in PQ? What a joke, there is no "small" increase in PQ between a ST and VT, and an OLED would murder any other display to hell.

3) Tvs would be hard to distinguish for non-videophiles? Umm, this is a videophile site........weak argument .
Old 07-18-2011, 11:24 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

I would easily take a 40" OLED over anything I could care less about how big it is, if the picture isnt reference and inferior, I dont want it.

Too late to edit your poll & add this choice?

Quote:

Tvs would be hard to distinguish for non-videophiles?

If you're not a videophile, you can GET OUT!