Samsung Smart TV- why do my apps dim? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anyone please explain why or how to fix my Samsung 59d6500. When I click into the smart menu and select an app the screen dims and I loose like 50% of the screen brightness. This does not adjust or correct itself once the app is running. EX) Netflix movies are dim and unwatchable, Vudu is dim and I don't want to rent a movie if it continues to be brightness restricted.
Is this normal, and if so WHY WHY WHY. It's SO BAD. Thank god I didn't pay for a web browser. Any feedback would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Snapper View Post

Can anyone please explain why or how to fix my Samsung 59d6500. When I click into the smart menu and select an app the screen dims and I loose like 50% of the screen brightness. This does not adjust or correct itself once the app is running. EX) Netflix movies are dim and unwatchable, Vudu is dim and I don't want to rent a movie if it continues to be brightness restricted.
Is this normal, and if so WHY WHY WHY. It's SO BAD. Thank god I didn't pay for a web browser. Any feedback would be welcomed.

Check your settings (i.e. cell lighting, brightness, contrast, etc.) -- they change for each source so you can calibrate each one individually and it's likely reverting to conservative default settings. If you watch TV over the air, they can change for each channel format (i.e. 1080i, 720p, 480i, etc.).

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much I think I fixed it.
So basically each app has a default settings. Each app regulates what your setting choices are as well.
Ex) While using Netflix I do not have the option of changing the picture setting, but while watching a vudu movies I can adjust picture setting( but only while the movie is playing, I can't adjust screen brightness on the tv while in the vudu menu.
SO based on the app and what you are doing in the app tv picture settings become more or less restrictive in our ability to adjust what we like.
Design wise I guess this makes sense, but it is very non user friendly.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks so much I think I fixed it.
So basically each app has a default settings. Each app regulates what your setting choices are as well.
Ex) While using Netflix I do not have the option of changing the picture setting, but while watching a vudu movies I can adjust picture setting( but only while the movie is playing, I can't adjust screen brightness on the tv while in the vudu menu.
SO based on the app and what you are doing in the app tv picture settings become more or less restrictive in our ability to adjust what we like.
Design wise I guess this makes sense, but it is very non user friendly.

Actually, you're right. The settings do change but your ability to fine tune them may not exist (settings are set at the factory). That's one reason I don't like the built in TV aps on the Samsungs and prefer to use Netflix on my BD player instead.

Samsung PN50C7000
Yamaha RX-V775WA
BIC Venturi DV64 Towers
BIC Venturi DV62 CLRs Center

Still building but sounds amazing so far
post #5 of 8 Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems that apps share their settings. In order to change my settings in Netflix (Auto Motion Plus drives me crazy) I had to go into the BBC news app to change this setting. Once changed, all apps appear to have adopted this setting. From what I understand apps are essentially running in a web browser which is treated as an input and changing settings apply to anything run through that input. There doesn't seem to be a way to change the settings for the SmartHub itself so there will always be some flickering between the smart hub screens and in-app views.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 AM

The profile used for applications (when video is not shown!) is the same used for PICTURES.

So changing only the video profile (like in BBC app) will only change the profile that's used when a video is playing.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM

Liked: 0
Exclamation Netflix Picture Quality

Quote:
Press quick menu button on remote and the settings menu should pop up on the side.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM

Liked: 0
Netflix Picture Quality

Try pressing the quick menu button on remote and the settings menu should pop up on the side so you can adjust the picture/sound.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page