panasonic ST30 vs LG LW6500 vs Samsung D6600WR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-31-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to buy the best 2D TV, which is excellent at fast moving scenes i.e, sports, action scenes, fast moving stocks/news tickers..regular TV and occasional movies

not very keen on 3D, which could be a bonus

i belive 200hz would be a min requirement to have great motion clarity?
i thought plasmas were out as many people have told me its an outdated technology! only to discover picture qaulity seems to be the best in plasmas!

also broadband/wifi/streaming movies seems to be the future...hence watching HD movies over net or via thumb drives and recording HD directly would be good

which of these would suit these requirements the best in your opinion? any other suggestions apart from above models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 AM

Plasmas are outdated ???? What neophyte told you that ? Plasma is the best thing going, and always has been. There's no motion blur, no lag time, no limited viewing angles and MUCH deeper blacks as compared to an LCD. Not to mention that spectacular plasma picture. And the best part is that plasmas are generally LESS expensive than a comparable LCD. Panasonic plasmas have tested at the top of the plasma heap for the past few years, and are backed by a reputation of superior reliability and fantastic customer service. Go with the Panasonic. You'll never regret it.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 295
as hidefrev said go with panny i have last year lg plasma and a two year old panasonic plasma i recommend you to go with panasonic..pannasonic a better build quality and picture quality than any other plasma brand price is a little high but thats okay you will get the best plasma out there right now.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
i thought plasmas were out as many people have told me its an outdated technology!
Not cool. As stated, Panasonic Plasma TV's currently offer the best in picture quality, motion handling, viewing angles, black levels, and viera casting capabilities; so we're gonna need the names & contact info for each person who told you otherwise. And remember, that's Panasonic, ideas for lifeĀ®.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefRev View Post
Plasmas are outdated ???? What neophyte told you that ? Plasma is the best thing going, and always has been. There's no motion blur, no lag time, no limited viewing angles and MUCH deeper blacks as compared to an LCD. Not to mention that spectacular plasma picture. And the best part is that plasmas are generally LESS expensive than a comparable LCD. Panasonic plasmas have tested at the top of the plasma heap for the past few years, and are backed by a reputation of superior reliability and fantastic customer service. Go with the Panasonic. You'll never regret it.
Don't worry H.D.R. I'm getting to the bottom of this one way or another.

They'll get theirs.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-02-2011, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

wow..thanks guys, seems like panasonic it is..@leon will forward you those LG, samsung and sony marketing guys details

LG seemed to be gung on its passive 3D technology..and that the future is 3D (which i really doubt as 3D is best watched in a theatre), Sony on its brand, Samsung on smart TV/sleek looks and all of them unanimous on LED being the latest technology, hence the best

brightness seemed to be the only issue i noticed...panasonic plasma seemed less bright than LED TVs. wonder if its sufficient to watch a movie in my room which has a full height glass window on one side
post #7 of 8 Old 11-21-2011, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefRev View Post

Wait, what? Sorry man, but Plasma's aren't 'perfect' in the motion department either. Sure they fair better than LCD's, but are they CRT-perfect? Nope. Plus instead of blur, you have to deal with motion dithering which seems more apperant when gaming, especially when the camera is zipping around. PLUS 'NO' HDTV is perfect in the Input lag department. ALL HDTV have it going on no matter how small it may be.

CRT is still the King of motion handeling and Zero Input lag. Also, plasma's can't match an LCD either in the Brightness department. Sure, that brightness isn't exactly needed for film, but for playing videogames it makes all the difference.

All of these technologies have their trade offs.....If an LCD could produce CRT-like motion I'd stick with it. Or if a plasma could produce LCD-like brightness I'd go with that. Anyways, for film freakazoids only, i wouldn't even consider LCD....that motion handeling(and motion resolution loss) drives me insane half the time and makes for one semi-artifical experience. Plus as always when going for more expensive models, plasma's rock the better black levels too.

Anyways, I'm curious as to how the current 2011 LG 720p 42" Plasma fairs against the Panasonic 42" ST30 plasma...Yet I've been hearing LG's fair horribly in the lag department regarding their plasma's. eek!
post #8 of 8 Old 11-24-2011, 04:53 PM

I was into researching a TV for myself this thanksgiving and I did a pretty detailed research for over a month - picture quality - 1 choice - panasonic plasma - no competition !

I bought a LG 55LW6500 still due to following reason -

1. I wanted to get the latest of its time so I don't have to upgrade soon and I wanted 3D - I loved passive 3D and the idea of cheap 3D glasses so you don't have to sweat if you break one, it also appeared better to me than active 3D

2. TV weight - I live in apartment and this is important to me for several reasons. The LG is 70 lbs in the box and the panasonic plasma I wanted to get ST30 - 120 lbs. I might need to ship t overseas so this was a factor.

3. Shipping - as I said above, but there is more to it. Plasma handling is very critical due to the heavy front glass. If they keep it positioned glass side down it might damage the TV. Again, a very specific concern for me as I would hate to see that happen to it !

So this was basically it - I am just hoping this helps somebody who has similar concerns. I again want to say, if none of these apply to you please get the Panasonic plasma ! Beautiful picture !! To be fair I like the LG too for what it provides.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 55lw6500 Hdtv , Lg Infinia 47lw6500
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page