When do the 2012 Panasonic VT series come out? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
eonibm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I agree with the previous post about paying extra to get a plain black bezel/edge on the VT50. I really really hate the silver trim and would pay to get one without it. Not because I'm worried about it clashing with other furniture or my "theme" (as I don't have one) but it is a distracting component when trying to focus on the picture unless you happen to be in a pitch black room.

+1 - Matte black bezel. Probably one can mask the picture with masking tape and spray paint it.
eonibm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
MitchR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

yes I know his official title...but that's not the point...the point is he only spounts official dribble praising the greatness of Pany products

Wouldn't any product designer...

Back on-topic please
MitchR is offline  
post #453 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

+1 - Matte black bezel. Probably one can mask the picture with masking tape and spray paint it.

I'm hoping someone at CES speaks up.
boe is online now  
post #454 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
Member
 
deathnote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any chance the UT50 will be around 1,000 and better than the ST30?
deathnote is offline  
post #455 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 AM
Member
 
EvilNui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

yes I know his official title...but that's not the point...the point is he only spounts official dribble praising the greatness of Pany products...and yes the members at HDJ eat it up like sheep

I dont think you've read his posts.

He said it was a plasma's first (excluding pro products) and it seems to be a fact. He was talking about the fast addressing time of this generation.
And to me avjunkie seems very reservative when it comes to actually say how good the TVs are and always just points at future reviews.

Don't know what we "sheep" are supposedly eating up ...
EvilNui is offline  
post #456 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Earlier in the year, when everyone claimed that rising blacks were fixed, D-Nice said that they were not fixed because it was inherent in the driving mechanism. Cnet did their tests and the blacks actually lowered at first, and then stabilized after like 1500 hours. I'm not sure if D-Nice has changed his stance on this, or still has info that blacks will keep rising again after 3k, 4k, 5k hours so who knows...

You may have some of your info confused. CNET never finished testing 2011 models for long term tests, in fact they stopped a couple of months ago. Data has not been published since 3+ months ago.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...or-issues-yet/

If you look though you will see the Panasonic black levels start trending upwards after 1500 hours on the data that was released. However this doesn't mean it wasn't a meter fluke or something else.

Hopefully he finishes what he started here. IMO there has to be an issue here, it doesn't take 2-3 months to get a meter calibrated and returned back. I believe there is an issue with 2011 Panasonics and David is dancing around it, for reasons I can't answer. But 3 months later you should have resumed testing...

-SiGGy
SiGGy is offline  
post #457 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,478
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

You may have some of your info confused. CNET never finished testing 2011 models for long term tests, in fact they stopped a couple of months ago. Data has not been published since 3+ months ago.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...or-issues-yet/

If you look though you will see the Panasonic black levels start trending upwards after 1500 hours on the data that was released. However this doesn't mean it wasn't a meter fluke or something else.

Hopefully he finishes what he started here. IMO there has to be an issue here, it doesn't take 2-3 months to get a meter calibrated and returned back. I believe there is an issue with 2011 Panasonics and David is dancing around it, for reasons I can't answer. But 3 months later you should have resumed testing...

It does make one wonder. Maybe he didn't want to hurt Christmas sales. lol Let's see if he has yet another excuse come next week as I believe mid January is when he said the testing would resume. I really would like to see where these sets are at around the 2500 hour mark. Hopefully he resumes the testing.

DavidHir is offline  
post #458 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
SiGGy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

It does make one wonder. Maybe he didn't want to hurt Christmas sales. lol Let's see if he has yet another excuse come next week as I believe mid January is when he said the testing would resume. I really would like to see where these sets are at around the 2500 hour mark. Hopefully he resumes the testing.

Me too, I like reading his articles. Sadly he really left a bad taste in my mouth when he intentionally slanted the article to make it sound like the Samsung's had a black level rise. When it was just a bit of drift in the brightness control, not a loss of black level.

I hope he continues And I hope he does the same for the 2012 models I really think the information/articles are great for the enthusiast community.

-SiGGy
SiGGy is offline  
post #459 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

It does make one wonder. Maybe he didn't want to hurt Christmas sales. lol Let's see if he has yet another excuse come next week as I believe mid January is when he said the testing would resume. I really would like to see where these sets are at around the 2500 hour mark. Hopefully he resumes the testing.

I have every faith that CNet will publish the next round of testing. My only question is: at what point do they stop testing? It's not realistic to expect them to keep hanging on this when the 2012 models start rolling out and they have publish reviews.

In a perfect world, I'd love to see them test up until the 5k hour mark, but I don't think that will happen.
hhaller is offline  
post #460 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Cipher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I have not changed my stance. Its quite easy to shift voltages to happen at later hours of use. Does that mean it is resolved?

D-Nice, I thought I once read that most plasmas, including Kuro's, adjust the voltage level over time to handle rising blacks? If this is incorrect, is there another approach they take to address this issue or are these models "rising black tolerant" from the start?
Cipher is offline  
post #461 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JukeBox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 6,654
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post


The Kuro obviously wasn't a winning product financially or they wouldn't have left the TV business. As I imagine Sharp is finding out with the Elite, there isn't much of a market for $5K+ videophile TVs.

There isn't ANY market for 5K sets. Sure. A few will buy. But that will be a very few. I imagine sharp could sell a whole lot more elites with a cheaper price slapped on em. 35ish would be nice. But 5K is just asking for your product not to work.
JukeBox360 is offline  
post #462 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Member
 
HotBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West Melbourne, FL
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ugh, all of these posts not related 2012 Panasonic plasma televisions are extremely annoying. Can we abstain from the cat fights please.

That being said...I had planned on purchasing a 55" GT30 in the next two months, but now I'm conflicted. I'm guessing the ST50 will be the better option for the money when it comes out.
HotBBQ is offline  
post #463 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:52 AM
 
GSDTrainer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBBQ View Post

Ugh, all of these posts not related 2012 Panasonic plasma televisions are extremely annoying. Can we abstain from the cat fights please.

That being said...I had planned on purchasing a 55" GT30 in the next two months, but now I'm conflicted. I'm guessing the ST50 will be the better option for the money when it comes out.

See thats the thing, do you buy now at a discounted price or do you wait for the new models to arrive and professional reviews? And if you buy now one thing I suggest is to never come back here again LOL. You might get buyers remorse!
GSDTrainer is offline  
post #464 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
jamesco411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBBQ View Post

Ugh, all of these posts not related 2012 Panasonic plasma televisions are extremely annoying. Can we abstain from the cat fights please.

That being said...I had planned on purchasing a 55" GT30 in the next two months, but now I'm conflicted. I'm guessing the ST50 will be the better option for the money when it comes out.

And I'm going to guess that there's a chance the ST50 will cost more than what the GT30 can be had for now.

For the Panasonic black level rise, I believe I read somewhere else that the Panasonic 2011 PDPs may still rise, albeit much much less than previous models....probably such a small amount that it could be a non-issue.
jamesco411 is offline  
post #465 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TitusTroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 91
what did I miss today?...I'll read the last few pages to catch up

after getting slightly burned with the VT30 I'm not going to trust the CES fluff presentations of Pany or any other manufacturer...I'll wait till some real hands on reviews come out
TitusTroy is offline  
post #466 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobbyTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,233
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

what did I miss today?...I'll read the last few pages to catch up

after getting slightly burned with the VT30 I'm not going to trust the CES fluff presentations of Pany or any other manufacturer...I'll wait till some real hands on reviews come out

yes.... it's a waste of time to spend more than 10 minutes looking at them.

we all must wait for D-Nice, etc.... to get there hands on one instead of listening to a sales pitch by anybody who claims how good they are.
RobbyTV is offline  
post #467 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Member
 
smackjack22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody else real disappointed that the vt 50 was not announced for a 75 inch version and its still just going to be 65 inches? That article i read about bigger sizes this year and even read unlimited size was all crap i guess...Unless 75 inch vesion or bigger is not at ces and they haven't announced it yet. If not its the bets quality projector no question at end of the year for me.
smackjack22 is offline  
post #468 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotBBQ View Post

...I had planned on purchasing a 55" GT30 in the next two months, but now I'm conflicted. I'm guessing the ST50 will be the better option for the money when it comes out.

CNet seems to think so:

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33379_1-573...tv-value-ever/

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #469 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackjack22 View Post

Anybody else real disappointed that the vt 50 was not announced for a 75 inch version and its still just going to be 65 inches? That article i read about bigger sizes this year and even read unlimited size was all crap i guess...Unless 75 inch vesion or bigger is not at ces and they haven't announced it yet. If not its the bets quality projector no question at end of the year for me.

No 75 in the works. A 70 mid year is what is being said over on HDJ by the resident Panasonic insider.
Frohlich is offline  
post #470 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Member
 
Matt Stieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would imagine that having fixed the FBr issue for 2011, there would be zero reason that Panasonic would even think about implementing it in 2012, right?

Also the whole green blob/discoloration issue; sounds like that was some sort of production run error so, barring some fiasco I would imagine that issue should be solved as well...hopefully?
Matt Stieg is offline  
post #471 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Senior Member
 
walt73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wonder if the black level on the not-confirmed-but-not-denied 70VT50 will turn out to equal 9g Kuro. Apparently it's easier to reduce mll on a larger panel due to depth of the plasma cells (??), just as 65" VT measures lower than 55.

"... we wonÂt be stopping plasma production any time soon. We see it going on for another ten years." -- Kevin Lee, VP, Smart TV Partnerships (Samsung), 1/7/11
walt73 is offline  
post #472 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
DigsMovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arriving Somewhere...
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

No 75 in the works. A 70 mid year is what is being said over on HDJ by the resident Panasonic insider.

Did he actually say 70" specifically? I've been following that closely and did see his indication of a mid-year possibility. I've also read a lot of speculation about future size, but did not see anything from avj.
DigsMovies is offline  
post #473 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Frohlich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

Did he actually say 70" specifically? I've been following that closely and did see his indication of a mid-year possibility. I've also read a lot of speculation about future size, but did not see anything from avj.

I thought he did but am too lazy to search for his every post to confirm. I think the original info leaked on size from the EU SKU numbers that somebody posted and there was a 70vt50 but no 75vt50.
Frohlich is offline  
post #474 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
DigsMovies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arriving Somewhere...
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I thought he did but am too lazy to search for his every post to confirm. I think the original info leaked on size from the EU SKU numbers that somebody posted and there was a 70vt50 but no 75vt50.

Right- I saw those also. I think they were for European models though. I'm just trying to find out as much info as I can about the possibility of larger Panny sets. Seems like we'll see something before the end of 2012. Hoping for 75+, especially since they are already making much larger sets. May not happen though. Good bet we'll see at least a 70.
DigsMovies is offline  
post #475 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
StinDaWg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I have not changed my stance. Its quite easy to shift voltages to happen at later hours of use. Does that mean it is resolved?

Panasonic is using a completely new drive method this year right? Does this mean that rising blacks will finally be a thing of the past? Or are the 2012 models just a tweak of the existing architecture?
StinDaWg is offline  
post #476 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hhaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,453
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Panasonic is using a completely new drive method this year right? Does this mean that rising blacks will finally be a thing of the past? Or are the 2012 models just a tweak of the existing architecture?

Thought I had read that everything was new; what that means in terms of fixing problems of the past, who knows.

Oh, if anyone wants to see some pics of these things, here you go. Not the greatest, but better than nothing:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...s-at-ces-2012/
hhaller is offline  
post #477 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 421
^^^

That bezel looks like my 8 year old 6UY Panny, only shiny. Glad to see they finally caught up to me.
Aliens is offline  
post #478 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Member
 
DaveZ06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 View Post



The BRG instead of RGB alignment and non-uniform RGB subpixel size are interesting features. I'll have to check out how this affects phosphor lag when these sets start shipping!

I would like to know how this will effect the performance as well.
DaveZ06 is offline  
post #479 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
eonibm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post


Thought I had read that everything was new; what that means in terms of fixing problems of the past, who knows.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...s-at-ces-2012/

Well, new problems emerge, of course, as the old ones are cleared up
eonibm is offline  
post #480 of 969 Old 01-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Member
 
akademiks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got 1 more repair left before the "No Lemon Policy" on my PN50B850 kicks in.

Paid almost $3000 for it when it first came out.

Awaiting the day it dies and I can pick up one of these
akademiks is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off