When do the 2012 Panasonic VT series come out? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I swear, sometimes when I read certain posts all I can think about is, "first world problems". Anyway, I'm curious to find out if the increased brightness of the panel (according to Panasonic about 50% brighter) will cause any image retention issues. Also, whether or not the enlarging of the blue and especially green phosphors might cause more phosphor lag. It might not make much of a difference though, from what I've read they have increased the speed of the phosphors again on the 3D models. I guess we will have to wait and see how that plays out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, it's strange. Unless the new phosphors are very different, I would see equally sized red and green with a small blue.

"DIY certified hobby-calibrator" (based on ChadB's "warning signs" list
post #633 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

And, um, btw, I talked to Chief at CES and they said they sell a ton of these long extension mounts, ie more than the one you think, lol. In fact now they have 4 different models of this mount, both in silver and in black. They said one of their big selling points is that for a mount someone is indeed going to see theirs is one of the best looking ones out there.

Yeah like a marketing guy isnt going to say that
post #634 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 View Post

Yes, it's strange. Unless the new phosphors are very different, I would see equally sized red and green with a small blue.

It's strange how cameras are able to pick up phosphor lag on plasmas a bit better than the human eye can. I can't remember why that happens (frame rate its captured at?), but it can be useful in pinpointing phosphor lag. What I'm trying to say is, I've been watching all the CES 2012 videos on the new panels looking for phosphor lag to rear its ugly head. So far, I have not been able to spot it. Maybe the new driving system has something to do with it as well, not sure.

I remember watching clips of the Panasonic models at CES 2011 and actually being able to spot phosphor lag. I realize this isn't the best way to test for it, but it seems to work alright.
post #635 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by YCTAPBYCTF View Post

I was going to say.....
I've never seen a 500 dollar wall mount ever!

There are lots of $500 wall mounts out there. It all depends on what features you need. Inexpensive mounts from Monoprice work well in 95% of situations (to pull a statistic out of my rear), but there are always those last 5% of installations where the don't have the necessary features.

Exhibit A: http://www.peerlessmounts.com/dyn/Pr...categoryID/195

I've been looking at extensible (articulating) wall mounts that will pull 24" or more from the wall and are beefy enough to hold a 100 lb+ display (65" or more, and this is what you need). The Monoprice models top out at 20" extension. Some models from Peerless, however, extend far enough. And cost $475.

I'm hoping to find a cheaper model elsewhere. But this mounts do indeed exist, and there is a need for them in certain circumstances.

The poster I was originally responding to, however, would most likely do just fine with a mount costing well under $100.
post #636 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

My idea exactly. I am wondering if it is actually metal or a plastic that looks like metal. What would you prime it with? (I know Krylon makes spray paint primers and paint for plastics and I think metal too).

I haven't thought THAT far ahead but metal or plastic, a good spray epoxy paint would probably stick to it well and be pretty durable. If the trim is metal and can be removed I might even have it powder coated. (We do that where I work)

I'm more concerned about full panel brightness than the picture "frame" look of that bezel though. After trying out that dismally dull VT30 side-by-side with my 850U I want to see how well the VT50 displays full panel whites and light colors. I saw a video with the ST30 and VT50 playing the same content and it did look to me like the VT was brighter when the panels were displaying mostly light colors.

post #637 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 11:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I wonder how much of the Kuro tech they paid for a few years back finally is making it into their displays. Deeper cell structure rings a bell.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #638 of 969 Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

How can you say that it is distracting when no one has one in their home? You have got to be one of the most stuck up arrogant posters I have seen on this site. Go stare at your $500 wall mount and stop trolling this thread.

I am glad we feel the same about eachother! lol
post #639 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

The silver border is not going to distract any one. If you are so easily distracted and anal you might consider yourself as a candidate to get checked for OCD.

Thanks for your medical advice. I've filed it in my circular file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

Apparently, these manufactures think that we are all married to women (the decision makers) who are part mackerel. They just cannot resist bright-shiny things.

My wife is sensible. She was not at all interested in the Vt30 with its large bezel and larger aluminum frame. The GT was better.

My wife was at CES this year (well really at PMA but came by CES Friday) and she visited the display mfrs. with me. She saw the VT50 and pretty much ruled it out immediately due to the silver trim. Apparently, she has no fish genes.

I may get an ST50 and try again in 2015.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #640 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

My wife was at CES this year (well really at PMA but came by CES Friday) and she visited the display mfrs. with me. She saw the VT50 and pretty much ruled it out immediately due to the silver trim. Apparently, she has no fish genes.

I may get an ST50 and try again in 2015.

Fortunately my wife hadn't seen the 55VT30 before we got one as a replacement for a 55LE8500 with banding.

The first thing she said when it was delivered was - why is there a silver strip around the outside if the TV - I really don't like it.

Two weeks later we are very happy with the 55VT30 picture and not really bothered by the silver trim - that said the 55LE8500 design did look classier....
post #641 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

How can you say it doesn't distract any one with all the posts on here? Sheesh!

Yeah I guess we're more like Steve Jobs in that respect and realize and value aesthetics and simplicity. Too bad you can't appreciate or see that. Maybe you should have stuck with a tube TV as you obviously don't understand the issue and just being average is good enough for you.

It's clear you misunderstood what I was posting, there would be no other reason to attack me. Steve Jobs might have designed simple looking products but every product was designed to stand out. Which is why they're all bright aluminum. How can't you understand that companies need to add a little something to their sets so people's eyes are attracted to them in stores, most of the people on this forum including myself to an extent are a minority. The majority Average Joe wants to bring someone over and impress them with the look and style of the TV. That's what sells, do you really think Panasonic is going to cater to your minimalist idea of what looks nice. NO! Sorry it will never happen with them or any other competitive brand. When the product is brought home you shut the logo light off just like Samsungs and Sonys do, and the aluminum will never be noticed. It seems every few months you come on a top of the line plasma forum to argue, and speak about how this one sucks, or that ones no good, I have yet to see you actually speak about owning one your self. Go to some other forum where they want to deal with your ignorance, insults, and attacks if you're going to act that way.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #642 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The ONLY thing that doesn't distract is flat black.

The only people that can't take that truth are plants sent here by Panasonic to do damage control.

The same thing happens every year--the whole videophile world begs for flat black and then the clowns at Panasonic don't produce it and then they send the same old damage control plants here--would it be THAT HARD to just produce flat black?!
post #643 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

The only people that can't take that truth are plants sent here by Panasonic to do damage control.

The same thing happens every year--the whole videophile world begs for flat black and then the clowns at Panasonic don't produce it and then they send the same old damage control plants here--would it be THAT HARD to just produce flat black?!

I'm not a plant. Matter of fact I always had Sony LCD/LED until this year. I consider myself a home theater enthusiast and I only purchase sets after tons of research, best PQ is a must. And the way a set looks wouldn't change my decision but I also like nice looking sets. It's nice to own a TV that looks as expensive as it costs. That's just my opinion.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #644 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Amen to that...

Shame that this year the actual performance sounds promising and no technological glitch issues have been brought up... so they present this package with an inappropriate silver accent line.

Maybe they should've produced 2 different models... one emphasizing modern decor with silver lines and the other more seious looking.

Why didn't they just make the border like like the old Kuro elites?
post #645 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Wow...you're all about the loony conspiracy theories.
post #646 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002 View Post

Amen to that...

Shame that this year the actual performance sounds promising and no technological glitch issues have been brought up... so they present this package with an inappropriate silver accent line.

Maybe they should've produced 2 different models... one emphasizing modern decor with silver lines and the other more seious looking.

Why didn't they just make the border like like the old Kuro elites?

Inappropriate? You realize it's only a TV, right?
post #647 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Liked: 11
Yes Panasonic paid me one beellion dollars to come here and support their design decisions

post #648 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

Inappropriate? You realize it's only a TV, right?

Yes... with a decorative flaw
post #649 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002 View Post

Yes... with a decorative flaw

In your opinion. That's all it is...an opinion.
post #650 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 View Post

In your opinion. That's all it is...an opinion.

Never claimed otherwise...

No doubt there are many silver strip fetishists out there and good for them... they got the pretty design they dreamed of.
post #651 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

It's strange how cameras are able to pick up phosphor lag on plasmas a bit better than the human eye can. I can't remember why that happens (frame rate its captured at?), but it can be useful in pinpointing phosphor lag. What I'm trying to say is, I've been watching all the CES 2012 videos on the new panels looking for phosphor lag to rear its ugly head. So far, I have not been able to spot it. Maybe the new driving system has something to do with it as well, not sure.

I remember watching clips of the Panasonic models at CES 2011 and actually being able to spot phosphor lag. I realize this isn't the best way to test for it, but it seems to work alright.

Can you point out some videos which show phosphor lag vs. no lag? From what I understand, the time the RGB colors fade away is different depending upon the color, leaving a "residue" of a particular color... does that description sound accurate? Just wanted to know what it looked like.
post #652 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

Can you point out some videos which show phosphor lag vs. no lag? From what I understand, the time the RGB colors fade away is different depending upon the color, leaving a "residue" of a particular color... does that description sound accurate? Just wanted to know what it looked like.

I'm having trouble finding the old clips. Anyway, what you are describing might be the case, I'm not really sure though. What I do want to point out is something that I have noticed about Panasonic plasmas when compared to Samsung; this could be the way Panasonic plasmas drive themselves, but again, I'm not sure. I've noticed on the Panasonic plasmas whenever I move my eyes across the screen, or look away, that there is a phosphor like lag on certain parts of the screen. This seems, to me at least, to a similar phenomenon when viewing a DLP. Funny thing is though, I don't notice this effect on Samsung plasmas. How is it that I can see this on a Panasonic, but not on a Samsung? Is it the way the Panasonic panels drive themselves? I know that Panasonic has a new driving method on the 2012 sets so I'm hoping that issue goes away. Can anyone explain this to me?
post #653 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM

I'm almost embarrassed to visit this forum when I see people arguing and losing their minds over a silver strip on a television.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some of the people here sound like five year olds.

If you don't like it, get over it. Crying on an Internet forum isn't going to magically change anything.
post #654 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

It's strange how cameras are able to pick up phosphor lag on plasmas a bit better than the human eye can.

Physically on the screen the blue phosphor begins to emit light before the red and green and both the red and green emit light well after the pixel is turned off. So in time blue shows up first and then yellow (red+green) goes away last.

When you video the TV the camera has an open shutter that accumulates light over time. If the shutter time is very short it may take a snapshot in time showing the initial blue or the later yellow (green+red)

Your eyes do not work quite the same way as a camera and that is why it is more difficult to see the color seperation.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #655 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

I'm almost embarrassed to visit this forum when I see people arguing and losing their minds over a silver strip on a television.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some of the people here sound like five year olds.

If you don't like it, get over it. Crying on an Internet forum isn't going to magically change anything.

I'm almost embarrassed to visit this forum and read people telling other people what should and should not bother them. Almost.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #656 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

Some people voice their favorable opinion about the silver...

Some people voice their negative opinion about the silver...

And some only bitch about the people that have an opinion.
post #657 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 196
....and some really don't care.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #658 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Exactly.

post #659 of 969 Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

Exactly.

That's cool too!
post #660 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Obviously FLAT BLACK would be best.

with NO pin stripe.

only a non-pro would prefer the pin stripe.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page