Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

Obviously FLAT BLACK would be best.

with NO pin stripe.

only a non-pro would prefer the pin stripe.

*sigh* another arrogant insulting post. This forum has gone so far downhill it is ridiculous. Only professionals have taste now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

*sigh* another arrogant insulting post. This forum has gone so far downhill it is ridiculous. Only professionals have taste now?

no you are wrong.

there are many non-pros that prefer to have no pin stripe around there TV.
post #663 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

no you are wrong.

there are many non-pros that prefer to have no pin stripe around there TV.

How am I wrong??? Did you not post that only a non-pro would prefer the pinstrip? Which the only thing that one can infer from that ignorant statement is that only a pro has any taste.
post #664 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

How am I wrong??? Did you not post that only a non-pro would prefer the pinstrip? Which the only thing that one can infer from that ignorant statement is that only a pro has any taste.

I agree! Of all the elitists complaining about a silver stipe, how many have seen it in person?

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #665 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Uh no. Funny, just because I choose not to have any interests in the VT50 I'm either drunk or have some sort of hidden agenda. Gotta love ignorant forum folk.

Now that the 2012 CES is in the rear view, do you still feel this way?

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #666 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Seriously, anytime someone discusses wanting better PQ... especially when it comes to Panasonic, Kuro has to come out of someones ass just to derail a thread. Its getting old.

I think if a Kuro ever made it out of someones ass it would derail a lot more than just this thread.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #667 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

No, anyone can have bad taste.

People can differ on what looks good and what they want their TV's to look like when turned on.

Hot-spotting and reflections from silver colored aluminum borders are objective. Whether or not they bother you is subjective.

That they have no class. Subjective.
They look better all black: Subjective.

IMSO (In my subjective opinion), manufacturers would do better to remove the bling from the top of the line

See, it is not that hard.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #668 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
your English is a lot better than mine!

well put!

is that silver stripe on the VT50 seen when viewing straight on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

No, anyone can have bad taste.

People can differ on what looks good and what they want their TV's to look like when turned on.

Hot-spotting and reflections from silver colored aluminum borders are objective. Whether or not they bother you is subjective.

That they have no class. Subjective.
They look better all black: Subjective.

IMSO (In my subjective opinion), manufacturers would do better to remove the bling from the top of the line

See, it is not that hard.

- Rich

post #669 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Once the 65VT50 drops to like 2000.00 because the time will come when a deal will pop up, i will jump on it and sell my tv for a cool 800.00-1000.00 practically what i paid for it in 6-9 months. Remember bigger is always better!

Black Friday, 2012 baby! That's my next upgrade date.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #670 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

I agree that all black bezels are not subjective when taking into consideration lighting, reflective issues, and distracting bright pin stripes which reflect light and surround an image that you do not want anything to compete with. It's simply a scientific fact that shiny pin stripes reflect light. Therefore, saying that shiny pinpoints of light surrounding my plasma panel are nothing more than purely subjective aesthetics is not accurate, IMHO.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #671 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Why waste my money on a TV that aint much better then the 60" ST30 i got for 1099.00 no tax. 49.00 shipped. Once i slapp those Dnice settings after the break in slides , you think the VT30 with a thinner bezel and 72hz is worth the premium of 1700-2k dollars to get the 65". Maybe for some people that like throwing money away. Id rather spend that cash on something else right now. I guess its cool to brag about how you have the flagship model to everyone , and slightly better blacks that are barely noticeable. I cant wait to see the VT50 or GT50 next week when it really makes the VT30 obsolete. Are you going to be even more hurt then?

I remember paying 2150.00 for my 58" V10 . Sept 2009.

If panasonic releases larger screens it only makes sense that next years VT50 60-65 inchers will be going for 2000-2500 range. I am sure the 70" tv will be running around the 2999.99-3500 range. OLED will be driving our sets down in price in 2013.

Why do you keep insisting the ST30 is barely any different than the VT30? They don't even share the same panel.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #672 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Black Friday, 2012 baby! That's my next upgrade date.

If the 65VT50 ever reaches $2000, I will buy for sure!

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #673 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

All black bezels are not subjective when taking into consideration lighting, reflective issues, and distracting bright pin stripes which reflect light and surround an image that you do not want anything to compete with. It's simply a scientific fact that shiny pin stripes reflect light. Therefore, saying that shiny pinpoints of light surrounding my plasma panel are nothing more than purely subjective aesthetics is not accurate, IMHO.

Did you quote the wrong post?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #674 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 AM

Liked: 10
I saw the TV in person at CES. The stripe actually looks really nice in person. Here are some pics i snapped with my phone.

Obviously it would have looked better if there was no border like the newer Samsung TV'S i saw at the show. The new sammys are SEXY !
LL
LL
LL
post #675 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Nate7357,

Since u were there at CES, could you rate the difference between the VT50 and GT50 in terms of anti-glare and overall PQ?

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, 65VT50
post #676 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am not going to comment much on the VT50 prototype from a performance standpoint, but I did spend some time with the side by side demo in the dark room and took 2 visits.

I felt the content being shown in the demo with the ST30 and VT50 was not high quality source material. (Anyone see the content Samsung had looping, just impressive).

On the panel itself there was dithering, but no noticeable banding. In terms of black level, surely it performs better than the ST30, and the demo was setup accordingly for dramatic show, but I could not say the VT50 prototype is noticeably improved in terms of black levels compared to the VT30. What I find amazing is this seems to be lost that it was next to an ST30 in may of the reviews I have seen where assessments are being made based on this comparison. By all accounts these sets were in Vivid mode to emphasize the content shown. So you take a low end from last year to compare it to your new high end to wow reviewers and buyers...mission accomplished. (CES is after all about selling).

Prior to my first visit to the dark room, I had the benefit of calibrating a Pioneer KRP-500M (patched for ISFccc) just before the show--damn that is a gorgeous 2D monitor....and there was nothing I saw at CES that day which appeared to match it's black level--even the new Sharp Elite which happened to be playing the same content I watched on the KRP earlier post calibration. Admittedly, this was not the best venue to evaluate black levels, but it goes to show with all the hype around OTP applications, 3D, 4K, OLED, Crystal LED, a nice reference 2D picture goes a long way still.

The motion demo Panasonic has setup is clearly the strong point of this years model, and it was nice to see this being improved further. I am sure lag time is going to be great for gamers as well.

Given these were prototypes, and there are changes in hardware and software, IMHO, any picture performance analysis at this early stage is pointless. The issues last year were well documented and I will be looking to see if the hardware and software changes have allowed for improvements. I am told engineering samples should be delivered for the VT by February.

IMHO, it is not reasonable to evaluate anything other than aesthetics for any of the manufacturers prototypes at CES (which it appears most of you have chimed in on already). These panels are not finalized in most cases and we had no idea what issues will arise or need to be addressed post production.

For those interested in some hardware info this was passed on to me by a colleague, this is not new news, but it looks like improved CPU for more horsepower. Given they are still using a refined in house developed LSI, I expect we will see the same issues with color and luminance this year unless they have revamped code and taken into account the numerous detailed reports from the field and lab provided.

2012 TV models come with new processors

Type No: MN2WS0150
SoC (System on a chip-> CPU+GPU in one)
CPU: AM34-SMP
GPU: UniPhier Specs?
Process: 32nm
CPU Clock: 486 MHz
Memory: DDR3-1333
L1 Cache: 32kb
L2 Cache: 128kb
Outputs: 1 SD-Card; 3 USB; 4HDMI
Date first available: 09/15/2010

Type No: MN2WS0220 (2 Cores)
CPU: ARM Cortex 9
Process: 45nm
CPU Clock: 2 x 1400 MHz
Memory: DDR3-1600
Outputs: 1 SD-Card; ? USB; ? HDMI
Date first available: 10/15/2011

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/e.../CN00003AE.pdf

One thing was clear from conversations, Panasonic is capable of delivering a reference panel in terms of picture performance from an engineering standpoint, but it is sales that calls the shots, and they have clearly focused on aesthetics and OTP apps along with every other manufacturer this year. There is still a glimmer of hope we will be pleasantly surprised, time will tell.
post #677 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

It's clear you misunderstood what I was posting, there would be no other reason to attack me. Steve Jobs might have designed simple looking products but every product was designed to stand out. Which is why they're all bright aluminum. How can't you understand that companies need to add a little something to their sets so people's eyes are attracted to them in stores, most of the people on this forum including myself to an extent are a minority. The majority Average Joe wants to bring someone over and impress them with the look and style of the TV. That's what sells, do you really think Panasonic is going to cater to your minimalist idea of what looks nice. NO! Sorry it will never happen with them or any other competitive brand. When the product is brought home you shut the logo light off just like Samsungs and Sonys do, and the aluminum will never be noticed. It seems every few months you come on a top of the line plasma forum to argue, and speak about how this one sucks, or that ones no good, I have yet to see you actually speak about owning one your self. Go to some other forum where they want to deal with your ignorance, insults, and attacks if you're going to act that way.

Oh please, get a grip. My opinions are just as valid as yours and, um, how often I come on here is irrelevant. I don't live my life on these forums like you do I guess. And, if you would pay any attention to my posts you will read that I have both a Panasonic P65S2 and a 50PX77U. My comments are a bit more relevant than this suck or that ones no good. Too bad you can't comprehend that.
post #678 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

The ONLY thing that doesn't distract is flat black.

The only people that can't take that truth are plants sent here by Panasonic to do damage control.

The same thing happens every year--the whole videophile world begs for flat black and then the clowns at Panasonic don't produce it and then they send the same old damage control plants here--would it be THAT HARD to just produce flat black?!

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.
post #679 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

It does make one wonder. Maybe he didn't want to hurt Christmas sales. lol Let's see if he has yet another excuse come next week as I believe mid January is when he said the testing would resume. I really would like to see where these sets are at around the 2500 hour mark. Hopefully he resumes the testing.

At 2500 hours my 42" ST30 measured about .009

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #680 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you quote the wrong post?

- Rich

LOL...sorry man, I guess my eyes glazed over a bit as I've been reading forum posts all morning...I cleaned it up...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #681 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbytv View Post

obviously flat black would be best.

With no pin stripe.

Only a non-pro would prefer the pin stripe.

+1 !
post #682 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotchaa View Post

I am not going to comment much on the VT50 prototype from a performance standpoint, but I did spend some time with the side by side demo in the dark room and took 2 visits.

I felt the content being shown in the demo with the ST30 and VT50 was not high quality source material. (Anyone see the content Samsung had looping, just impressive).

On the panel itself there was dithering, but no noticeable banding. In terms of black level, surely it performs better than the ST30, and the demo was setup accordingly for dramatic show, but I could not say the VT50 prototype is noticeably improved in terms of black levels compared to the VT30. What I find amazing is this seems to be lost that it was next to an ST30 in may of the reviews I have seen where assessments are being made based on this comparison. By all accounts these sets were in Vivid mode to emphasize the content shown. So you take a low end from last year to compare it to your new high end to wow reviewers and buyers...mission accomplished. (CES is after all about selling).

Prior to my first visit to the dark room, I had the benefit of calibrating a Pioneer KRP-500M (patched for ISFccc) just before the show--damn that is a gorgeous 2D monitor....and there was nothing I saw at CES that day which appeared to match it's black level--even the new Sharp Elite which happened to be playing the same content I watched on the KRP earlier post calibration. Admittedly, this was not the best venue to evaluate black levels, but it goes to show with all the hype around OTP applications, 3D, 4K, OLED, Crystal LED, a nice reference 2D picture goes a long way still.

The motion demo Panasonic has setup is clearly the strong point of this years model, and it was nice to see this being improved further. I am sure lag time is going to be great for gamers as well.

Given these were prototypes, and there are changes in hardware and software, IMHO, any picture performance analysis at this early stage is pointless. The issues last year were well documented and I will be looking to see if the hardware and software changes have allowed for improvements. I am told engineering samples should be delivered for the VT by February.

IMHO, it is not reasonable to evaluate anything other than aesthetics for any of the manufacturers prototypes at CES (which it appears most of you have chimed in on already). These panels are not finalized in most cases and we had no idea what issues will arise or need to be addressed post production.

For those interested in some hardware info this was passed on to me by a colleague, this is not new news, but it looks like improved CPU for more horsepower. Given they are still using a refined in house developed LSI, I expect we will see the same issues with color and luminance this year unless they have revamped code and taken into account the numerous detailed reports from the field and lab provided.

2012 TV models come with new processors

Type No: MN2WS0150
CPU: AM34-SMP
Process: 32nm
CPU Clock: 486 MHz
Memory: DDR3-1333
Outputs: 1 SD-Card; 3 USB; 4HDMI
Date first available: 09/15/2010

Type No: MN2WS0220 (2 Cores)
CPU: ARM Cortex 9
Process: 45nm
CPU Clock: 2 x 1400 MHz
Memory: DDR3-1600
Outputs: 1 SD-Card; ? USB; ? HDMI
Date first available: 10/15/2011

http://www.semicon.panasonic.co.jp/e.../CN00003AE.pdf

One thing was clear from conversations, Panasonic is capable of delivering a reference panel in terms of picture performance from an engineering standpoint, but it is sales that calls the shots, and they have clearly focused on aesthetics and OTP apps along with every other manufacturer this year. There is still a glimmer of hope we will be pleasantly surprised, time will tell.

Thanks gotchaa...yeah what I don't get is how hard would've it have been for the Panny booth to just set up a blu ray player via HDMI to display a good reference signal? avjunkie said they did some silliness other than this...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #683 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:

Why do you keep insisting the ST30 is barely any different than the VT30? They don't even share the same panel.

It is my understanding that the ST30/GT30/VT30 do in fact share the same panel and overall drive electronics/software, as it appears that the ST50/GT50VT50 will also do. There are differences in filters and control electronics/software. At least that is my understanding.

Am I wrong about that?

Further, solid measurement results have indicated that the ST30/GT30/VT30 have very similar MLLs under test conditions. This suggests that the panels are much more similar than different.

Wes
post #684 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonibm View Post

Oh please, get a grip. My opinions are just as valid as yours and, um, how often I come on here is irrelevant. I don't live my life on these forums like you do I guess. And, if you would pay any attention to my posts you will read that I have both a Panasonic P65S2 and a 50PX77U. My comments are a bit more relevant than this suck or that ones no good. Too bad you can't comprehend that.

Ok so which one of those is top of the line. Neither. That's what I said. See I can be ignorant and arrogant like you. I'm just going to act like your opinion doesn't matter since you have a cheap low level Panasonic. See insulting people is easy. When you have something equivalent to a VT series. Come back.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #685 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

For those interested in some hardware info this was passed on to me by a colleague.... I expect we will see the same issues with color and luminance this year unless they have revamped code and taken into account the numerous detailed reports from the field and lab provided.

Very disappointing to read that. No reason those issues can't be fixed in the 2012 models.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Panasonic 60VT60 3DTV
Denon AVR 4311CI
Klipsch F-30 Fronts
Klipsch C-20 Center
Klipsch S-20 Sides
Klipsch B-20 Rears
PA 120 12" Sub
Dune HD Smart D1
PS3 Slim
DirecTV HR34 DVR

post #686 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

Since u were there at CES, could you rate the difference between the VT50 and GT50 in terms of anti-glare and overall PQ?

I'm not Nate, but anyone claiming they could see a meaningful difference between those models from what was shown at CES is, um, perhaps kidding themselves. They both looked decent, although the demo material was horrendous. Both panels had tons of dither, false contouring, and other hideousness at parts of the loop. I'm just going to disregard all that and assume it was bad source + imperfectly tuned panels and that you'll see no such thing at shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I agree! Of all the elitists complaining about a silver stipe, how many have seen it in person?

Yep.

Quote:

is that silver stripe on the VT50 seen when viewing straight on?

It absolutely is. Ironically, it's harder to see the GT's silver edge but alas they put a thin stripe of silver directly on the face of the GT.

In the Rogo house, we are hoping the ST will outperform last year's VT by a hair and we can go that route and be happy till mid-decade when hopefully 4K displays, more mature OLEDs, etc. are more common. In other words, this TV would be a solid upgrade from what we have now (a much older Panasonic), a bargain, and something we wouldn't expect to last us as long.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #687 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsokolosky View Post

It is my understanding that the ST30/GT30/VT30 do in fact share the same panel and overall drive electronics/software, as it appears that the ST50/GT50VT50 will also do. There are differences in filters and control electronics/software. At least that is my understanding.

Am I wrong about that?

Further, solid measurement results have indicated that the ST30/GT30/VT30 have very similar MLLs under test conditions. This suggests that the panels are much more similar than different.

Wes

True. I had a 65VT30 and now have a 65ST30. I saw very little difference between them in a dark environment self calibrated - in fact, I could get the color looking more natural on the ST30 because the VT30 color was a bitch to get "right." Now, once they are pro-cal'd, the VT30 will measure a bit tighter grayscale, color, and gamma tracking, but I'm not sure it would be a large enough difference to justify the price gap from what I am told by certain very reputable sources as there is not a large difference in their view for regular viewing. However, if someone wants the absolute best possible regardless of price, then the VT30 would be it for Panasonic. The VT30 is also a bit brighter which will help daytime/lighting viewing and has a better filter. It sounds as if this will be the case for 2012, but we'll see.

post #688 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

I see it every day on my 65GT30.
That is why I oppose it in the new line.

I suppose being rational could make me an elitist.
I guess it matters where you are coming from.
I am coming from experience.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #689 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Given they are still using a refined in house developed LSI, I expect we will see the same issues with color and luminance this year unless they have revamped code and taken into account the numerous detailed reports from the field and lab provided

I'm surprised that the color and luminance issues still might not be fixed in the 2012 models (then again I'm not surprised due to Pany's history)...sad that they are focusing on asthetics and apps over PQ...looks like my VT30 will not be surpassed (in a meaningful way) by a VT50 this year...only hope for an upgrade would be the 2nd Gen Elite's
post #690 of 969 Old 01-16-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm surprised that the color and luminance issues still might not be fixed in the 2012 models (then again I'm not surprised due to Pany's history)...sad that they are focusing on aesthetics and apps over PQ...looks like my VT30 will not be surpassed (in a meaningful way) by a VT50 this year...only hope for an upgrade would be the 2nd Gen Elite's

I am not a big fan of the trim but I do not think it is fair to say that they are not focusing on picture quality. There are claiming improved brightness, black levels, gradients so lets wait and see how these panels stack up before making these statements.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page