No one really knows that yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One thing nobody seems to be talking about is just how much heat these 2012 models will be throwing out. The 2011 models (plasmas in general) can heat a room. My friend has a 55' ST30 and that thing gets hot to the touch.
post #903 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

One thing nobody seems to be talking about is just how much heat these 2012 models will be throwing out. The 2011 models (plasmas in general) can heat a room. My friend has a 55' ST30 and that thing gets hot to the touch.

I have a 65ST30 and even after several hours, it barely even feels warm. The 65VT30 I had was the same.

post #904 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
depends on how bright you run em
yes, squeeze all the light output you can and some serious heat will be generated.
post #905 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

No one really knows that yet.

Its a much better tv then the GT ST 50 series

I dont know how you could say it isnt when the panel is better, and calibration functions are better. Its the best pansonic TV made.
post #906 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Its a much better tv then the GT ST 50 series

I dont know how you could say it isnt when the panel is better, and calibration functions are better. Its the best pansonic TV made.

I don't know how you can you say it's much better when they have not been compared by reputable sources. Specs and marketing speak mean very little - and that's what you're basing it on. Let's see how they compare in reality when calibrated by reputable sources. My speculation is, it will be better than the GT and ST, but by how much and how much of that is perceptible? A properly calibrated 65ST30 comes very close to a calibrated 65VT30 in terms of MLL, contrast, color, grayscale, and gamma. The numbers and my experience using both sets back that up (see my 65ST30 calibration report in the ST30 thread compared to 65VT30 reports). Will that be different for 2012? We'll see. No one knows that. I don't believe it's smart to be making assumptions about a set that is "much better" until the sets have been reviewed by reputable sources vs. looking at marketing material. calibration controls are nice - but to what extent they become necessary depends on the display as sometimes the standard works well enough.

post #907 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
After a quick breakdown it looks like there are a few differences between the GT and the VT:
GT
Infinite Black Pro screen
48Hz
stylish metal frame

VT
Infinite Black Ultra screen
96/48Hz
one sheet of glass
ISF calibration mode with advanced calibration
touch pad controller
The weight difference is small between the two series (VT series 65 is about 5lbs heavier than GT, 55 is about 4lbs.) I might have missed something so there may be more. Curious how much PQ difference there will be in the type of screens used in both and if that will be worth the extra bucks.

post #908 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigsMovies View Post

At some point, the benefit of a larger size outweighs the loss of PQ.

This is why 4K is going to take over the same way 1080 did.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #909 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

My 6-year-old Panasonic uses more power than any 2011 model and doesn't make much heat at all. I find this claim of "room heating" to be specious at best.

Is there a spot you can touch on the 2011 models that's hot? Quite possibly. There is also a spot on my laptop that you can touch which is hot. But my laptop also fails as a room heater.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #910 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Yes, if all else was equal you'd take the TV with any improved attribute, however irrelevant.

If there was any cost to the weight reduction, you'd think twice however.

More important, the number of people who would replace a functional TV with another one that is lighter simply because it is lighter is vanishingly small. The number of people that would pay a $300 premium to get a TV that is lighter than a 2012 LCD is similarly vanishingly small. Even if the premium were $100, the number of people that would pay is still something very very closer to zero.

The notion that weight is an important selling point is situational. My points, which certain forum trolls think they catch me in inconsistencies with, are completely consistent:

1) Compared with existing LCDs, no one is going to pay for lighter TVs. Will they take "lightness" for free? Of course. Will they care? Most won't.
2) TV weight matters for installation and then never again unless the TV is defective or sold. Regardless of weight. (This might differ for really small TVs, but not for living room TVs.)
3) Gigantic heavy plasmas are gigantic and heavy. Their weight matters for some small but real number of people (like Beezar). But even for those people, it matter with respect to installation and removal. And then never again.

One thing you're overlooking is the increasing wave of standard definition CRT owners who are finally needing to upgrade as their older TV's wear out. Now I hate the CRT's because anything over 27" weighs in the 100lb and up area (not to mention the front-to-back space they take up with the tube).

So we get rid of these big, heavy, cumbersome TV's and yeah, I would say for those of us just getting to the Hi Def arena, weight may be a little more of a factor than you think.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #911 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:

After a quick breakdown it looks like there are a few differences between the GT and the VT:
GT
Infinite Black Pro screen
48Hz
stylish metal frame

VT
Infinite Black Ultra screen
96/48Hz

Quick question...the 48 Hz and 96Hz...what does this refer to exactly? I'm guessing I'm confusing this with the 600hz thing with the plasmas..
post #912 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinkeh View Post

Quick question...the 48 Hz and 96Hz...what does this refer to exactly? I'm guessing I'm confusing this with the 600hz thing with the plasmas..

From what I understand in plasma displays, increasing the number of frames creates smoother images. When reproducing images from a 24p film source, the Panasonic's VIERA's 24p cinema smoother function claims it will help generate smooth, natural-looking images. The higher the multiple of 24 frames used on your display is supposed to be better for viewing. I may not be explaining it correctly.

post #913 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
As a person with history of being around thousands of people's TV sets, I can tell you that the heavier the TV the filthier it can be around them.

Saying weight plays nothing in purchase decission to anyone that remotely wants to keep their house clean is pure ignorance.

My 64 inch plasma, which is lighter then the Panasonic, which is mounted to the stand takes a LOT of work to move.

I can't even imaging trying to slide this stand with the TV just sitting on the top shelf to clean behind it once in a while.

I hate to think of how many FP sets have fallen off stands being moved for cleaning.

Good news that the 50s will be lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

One thing you're overlooking is the increasing wave of standard definition CRT owners who are finally needing to upgrade as their older TV's wear out. Now I hate the CRT's because anything over 27" weighs in the 100lb and up area (not to mention the front-to-back space they take up with the tube).

So we get rid of these big, heavy, cumbersome TV's and yeah, I would say for those of us just getting to the Hi Def arena, weight may be a little more of a factor than you think.

buytme
post #914 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnobber View Post

I don't know about ST, but VT70 is the most likely in summer.

Ah, NO ! VT70 is about TWO YEARS away.
post #915 of 969 Old 02-03-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse View Post

Hate how panasonic continues to omit the 60" size in the VT series.

I'm just the opposite and I have read on here about folks that feel similarly to me- we can no longer get a "top quality model" in a size reasonable for a bedroom, e.g. 42", 46" or even 50" VT series. Why should one have to settle for less quality just because it is for the bedroom or another room of limited size?
post #916 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

This is why 4K is going to take over the same way 1080 did.

Umm...not in this decade it won't.
post #917 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

As a person with history of being around thousands of people's TV sets, I can tell you that the heavier the TV the filthier it can be around them.

Saying weight plays nothing in purchase decission to anyone that remotely wants to keep their house clean is pure ignorance.

My 64 inch plasma, which is lighter then the Panasonic, which is mounted to the stand takes a LOT of work to move.

I can't even imaging trying to slide this stand with the TV just sitting on the top shelf to clean behind it once in a while.

I hate to think of how many FP sets have fallen off stands being moved for cleaning.

This post made me LOL and spit coffee out of my nose!!! Ive been around thousands of TV's too but I have yet to hear one person say "Im not buying any TV that weighs more than 20 pounds because then I wont be able to clean behind it"
post #918 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Seeing how the new oled's are 4mm thick, I still think you'd need help installing it. It will be light, but how rigid will it be? Could you potentially twist the tv slightly and damage it in any way?

4mm? That's incredible. Man, technology is so cool!

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #919 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

You haven't been around thousands of TVs in customer's homes then.

I heard plenty of customers talking about not getting the 40 inch CRTs back in the day specificly because of the reason I said. BTW, where can I get your 20lb 65inch flat screen TV? Never heard of one of those before.

Being in the warhouse around TVs I wouldn't expect you'd hear this. It isn't the same is being in customers homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

This post made me LOL and spit coffee out of my nose!!! Ive been around thousands of TV's too but I have yet to hear one person say "Im not buying any TV that weighs more than 20 pounds because then I wont be able to clean behind it"

buytme
post #920 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My 6-year-old Panasonic uses more power than any 2011 model and doesn't make much heat at all. I find this claim of "room heating" to be specious at best.

Is there a spot you can touch on the 2011 models that's hot? Quite possibly. There is also a spot on my laptop that you can touch which is hot. But my laptop also fails as a room heater.

Haha...that's actually pretty funny, rogo. I agree with you, my ST30 only runs what could be considered "hot" when running the break in slides at 100 Contrast on Mid panel brightness. With regular content she runs very cool, less heat than my cheap old SD CRT...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #921 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

I have some advice: Wall mount and run the wires throgh the wall.
Perioidically, us a feather duster on the top of the screen.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #922 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:

It's on almost all the damn time. It's the main television they use, and it probably doesn't help that it's in a small room with the settings cranked up. I have told him to ease up on it. It still isn't anywhere near how hot retailers like Sears/Best Buy run their units. I walked into Sears yesterday and one of their Panasonic units was running for so long that you could feel the heat coming off of it from a foot away. I put the back of my hand on the glass and I swear if that thing got any hotter I would have gotten a first degree burn. I guess the moral of the story here is be careful buying a store display unit since they probably melted some of the damn components.
post #923 of 969 Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

You haven't been around thousands of TVs in customer's homes then.

I heard plenty of customers talking about not getting the 40 inch CRTs back in the day specificly because of the reason I said. BTW, where can I get your 20lb 65inch flat screen TV? Never heard of one of those before.

Being in the warhouse around TVs I wouldn't expect you'd hear this. It isn't the same is being in customers homes.

How can you possibly compare 300 lbs to 70 or even 100? Your logic is pretty flawed. :/
post #924 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

How can you possibly compare 300 lbs to 70 or even 100? Your logic is pretty flawed. :/

I put a 65GT30 up on the wall which is just over 100 lbs.
Hopefully, I will put a 75VT50 (if they build it) on the wall and I would like it to weigh under 150 lbs. If it weights 200 lbs, I will still put it on he wall.

Why? Because I lift it once and after that, it looks the same no matter what it weighs. I understand a power usage objection more than a weight.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #925 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Not logic, just facts.

100lb top heavy FP TVs are no better to move.

Seriously, love all the back seat drivers around here that have never talked to the average TV buyer but are more then happy to pretend to know what most people that actually buy TVs think.

Personally, I don't care if anyone believes it, but it takes zero logic to see that manufacturers are spending money to lighten larger and smaller TVs.

You can argue with my "logic" all you want, but the fact remains the same. All manufactures are designing lighter TVs, and it's not because people don't care about it.

Quote:

buytme
post #926 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not logic, just facts.

100lb top heavy FP TVs are no better to move.

Seriously, love all the back seat drivers around here that have never talked to the average TV buyer but are more then happy to pretend to know what most people that actually buy TVs think.

Personally, I don't care if anyone believes it, but it takes zero logic to see that manufacturers are spending money to lighten larger and smaller TVs.

You can argue with my "logic" all you want, but the fact remains the same. All manufactures are designing lighter TVs, and it's not because people don't care about it.

Perhaps, most people are unwilling to mount a large TV on the wall.
But how many of those are very concerned about moving it for the perfect dusting

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #927 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Manufacturers are making TVs lighter to cut their costs. They are not doing it to market TVs as lighter.

You know, there are people who literally believe that auto manufacturers are trying to improve the mileage of cars to support a secret conspiracy to destroy the global economic and establish a new order without technology and evil corporations. But their belief doesn't make that true.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #928 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

I put a 65GT30 up on the wall which is just over 100 lbs.
Hopefully, I will put a 75VT50 (if they build it) on the wall and I would like it to weigh under 150 lbs. If it weights 200 lbs, I will still put it on he wall.

Why? Because I lift it once and after that, it looks the same no matter what it weighs. I understand a power usage objection more than a weight.

- Rich

Actually, the 65GT30 is less than 100 lbs.
post #929 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Manufacturers are designing thinner TVs. I'd be willing to bet that the fact TVs are getting lighter is just an unintended consequence of TVs getting thinner. I highly doubt manufacturers are designing sets with the express intent of making them lighter. After all, you don't see them prominently touting their TVs' weights in advertisements, cut sheets, or other product literature, do you?

If consumers cared that much about the weight of their TVs, it'd be a huge selling point. But guess what? It ain't.
post #930 of 969 Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

I'd be willing to bet that the fact TVs are getting lighter is just an unintended consequence of TVs getting thinner. I highly doubt manufacturers are designing sets with the express intent of making them lighter.

There you go injecting logic into an irrational discussion about TVs being lighter so its easier to dust behind them!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page