When do the 2012 Panasonic VT series come out? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don't the 60" and 65"ers all (ST's included) have approximately the same MLL (~0.004fL +/-)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Which is the point really.

Why can't any of them focus on picture quality and 'overall quality' and forget the bells and whistles that many don't care about or use.......

The higher end companies do focus on quality, but you and many others are just not realistic about what can be done, and how long it takes. However, look back at the quality and price of plasmas five and ten years ago and be happy that the quality and prices have improved soooo much.
post #183 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I have a feeling this can be the last plasma generation for consumers. It seems Panasonic will test the LCD market with mid to large screens and , with this apetite for 3D and streaming apps , picture quality will not be top priority. LCDs have been improving more than pasmas and even a plasma fanboy like me (I have 3) will probably join the LCD club soon. I hope I am totally wrong and we can see a VT60 ,70,80...

LCDs have been improving more than plasmas because LCDs had/have a lot more to improve.
post #184 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnobber View Post

I'll take your bet and raise you $1000.

Newer apps like the latest Netflix get their UI updated constantly from the backend server. Thus, they don't go out of date.

And yes, once again D-Nice is wrong on this issue, as he has been wrong so many times before. Many more people make purchasing decisions based on what apps (especially Netflix) are available on a TV then do on what black level it has.

And where exactly do you get these "facts' about how many people make these decisions?? Or do you pull them out of the air?
post #185 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Don't the 60" and 65"ers all (ST's included) have approximately the same MLL (~0.004fL +/-)?

Yes.

post #186 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalEd View Post

The higher end companies do focus on quality, but you and many others are just not realistic about what can be done, and how long it takes. However, look back at the quality and price of plasmas five and ten years ago and be happy that the quality and prices have improved soooo much.

My 50PX600U was close to state-of-the-art 6 years ago (close, let's not quibble). It was retailing for around $3000 when we saw it at Costco for the unprecedented price of $2200. We bought one.

That's how much things have improved since then. That model vs. what you can buy today for approximately $2000 or alternatively something that costs $1000-1500 less.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #187 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Nobody here cares if yours is bigger. I think maybe you're trying to compensate for something else of yours that's too small.

Although a typical lurker, I found your post unnecessary enough to comment. That should tell you something.
post #188 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerunkle View Post

Although a typical lurker, I found your post unnecessary enough to comment. That should tell you something.

post #189 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

There is no market there. Are you paying more to get less? Are there millions of people like you? No and no. That's why the product doesn't exist. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have such a thing.

An affordable monitor, with out a turner or IT bells and whistles, along with an improvement in picture quality, can't be achieved? I don't agree. Regardless, the real problem lies with the fact that those who strive for better performance are becoming victims of a market trend that prefers convenience.

Ken C. Pohlmann Sound and Vison columnist and Professor emeritus Miami University:

Quote:

Blu-Ray players are morphing into media players that can also receive Internet streams and play diverse files. It's ironic that Blu-Ray hardware makers, in order to to appeal to today's consumers, must add features like steaming that are the formats main adversary. The convenience of the Internet is slowing the growth of Blu-Ray and over time streaming will ultimately win the war. The fate of Blu-Ray is tragic. It's the most sophisticated A/V storage format ever devised. It produces data of unsurpassed quality that challenges the reproduction abilities of any speaker or screen. It's sad that it will never reach it's full potential or dominate the market the way earlier formats did.

This same trend is also effecting how manufacturers are now prioritizing the performance of their TV's, which I mentioned earlier has focused too much on content and not enough on quality.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #190 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

Yes I will Envy all 2011 65" VTs for another 6 days. Because you know why CES is on JAN 10th. I will then ENVY the 2012 VT50.

btw what size is yours? Because I wont envy yours if its less than my 60" ST30

So you will wait 9 months for the 70" VT50 to drop to below $2500 (or wait, is it the 60-65" version? you keep changing your story--good luck on the less than $2500 price btw), at which point you will get it. Then the 2013 models will come out in another 3 months from then making your VT50 "obsolete." Yet you bash people for buying a VT30 now. You sound like a politician--lacking consistency.
post #191 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

So you will wait 9 months for the 70" VT50 to drop to below $2500 (or wait, is it the 60-65" version? you keep changing your story--good luck on the less than $2500 price btw), at which point you will get it. Then the 2013 models will come out in another 3 months from then making your VT50 "obsolete." Yet you bash people for buying a VT30 now. You sound like a politician--lacking consistency.

beezar, If you to talk about his lack of consistency...check out these gems

Quote:

If there is issues with early releases i am sure panasonic will follow through and just send a tech out, they have great customer service. I really dont think it will be bad as everyone sounds in 2012 since it seems like 2010-2011 owners were the Guinea pigs If there is issues with early releases i am sure panasonic will follow through and just send a tech out, they have great customer service. I really dont think it will be bad as everyone sounds in 2012 since it seems like 2010-2011 owners were the Guinea pigs

It goes from Panny "early build love" in a prior thread to this...

Quote:

In the mean time people can have fun updating their 2012 A-Boards and paying top dollar or aka being the guinea pigs of the new hardware while they hope Panasonic acknowledges the issues .

The only thing he is consistant with is his love of the term "guinea pigs"
post #192 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerunkle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAV View Post

post #193 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

An affordable monitor, with out a turner or IT bells and whistles, along with an improvement in picture quality, can't be achieved? I don't agree. Regardless, the real problem lies with the fact that those who strive for better performance are becoming victims of a market trend that prefers convenience.

Well, you're wrong.

First of all, cutting out all the "bells and whistles" would reduce the manufacturing cost by perhaps $150-200. Not more.

Second of all, while I can't tell you the cost of whatever hypothetical improvements in picture quality all of you want, let's agree it's millions of dollars.

Now, explain to me how you many of these "monitors" you plan on selling? 50,000 globally? Certainly not for less that TVs; they'd have to cost more. They will have a messier supply chain since small numbers of units will have to move to large numbers of specialty retailers.

I've already explained in the discussion of the Sharp Elite why it's actually impossible to hand-pick panels from a generic LCD line. But let's say they make a dedicated production run for your special monitors where they fine tune and control everything and throw out all the "bad ones". Now, what are your yields? Low. So you have to raise prices still more to pay for that.

I'd guess by the time you hit retail, your monitor will cost at least twice as much as the most expensive model today, which will make your original sales goal that much more unreachable. And I'm not sure that the performance benefit is really going to be that significant. Marginally better? Sure, no doubt.

And we saw that for twice the money, the Sharp Elite could edge the Panasonic and Samsung plasmas at a shootout of current models. The words "blow away" were not used by qualified or sophisticated viewers who actually got to see them side by side.

Bottom line, if the market existed where by significant numbers of people would pay, say, $10,000 for such a TV, I have no doubt one could be built and sold. At the parameters I think the AVS crowd wants one, I have significant doubts anything very interesting could be built and delivered.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #194 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

Ha-ha-ha-ha!!! I laughed out loud, literally, when I read this D-Nice. I have a 50" 850U bought new in Dec. 2008 and it beat the pants off the 65VT30 I just returned.

How I'd love to get my hands on a TH-65PZ850U.... then I'd be happy.

sorry to put your dream to an end.

a quote from a Panasonic expert:

"The G10 will outperform the 850 in every category (higher black levels, better colors, more shades of gradation, better processing, lower energy consumption, etc). I'd only get the 850U is it were impossible to pay the higher cost for the G10, and even then i'd wait till i could afford the G10"
post #195 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

"The G10 will outperform the 850 in every category (higher black levels, better colors, more shades of gradation, better processing, lower energy consumption, etc). I'd only get the 850U is it were impossible to pay the higher cost for the G10, and even then i'd wait till i could afford the G10"

and what is your point?

the so called expert was wrong,, they say that every year.
post #196 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlong View Post

beezar, If you to talk about his lack of consistency...check out these gems

It goes from Panny "early build love" in a prior thread to this...

The only thing he is consistant with is his love of the term "guinea pigs"

I envy your VT30 but its a 55" so i think i will take my 60" ST30 over your tv. Bigger is always better. I thought a IPHONE was a IPS screen , how does your tv look like an IPHONE?
haha
post #197 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAV View Post

Can you repeat that again ? I think outlong missed this
post #198 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:

And where exactly do you get these "facts' about how many people make these decisions?? Or do you pull them out of the air?

Lol go to a store and ask a normal person not a tv tech nerd what they look for in a tv, 9 times out of 10 they could give a damn about black levels, contrast ratios. If it's appealing like they amount of apps it has or whatnot they will buy it
post #199 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Well, you're wrong.

First of all, cutting out all the "bells and whistles" would reduce the manufacturing cost by perhaps $150-200. Not more.

Second of all, while I can't tell you the cost of whatever hypothetical improvements in picture quality all of you want, let's agree it's millions of dollars.

Now, explain to me how you many of these "monitors" you plan on selling? 50,000 globally? Certainly not for less that TVs; they'd have to cost more. They will have a messier supply chain since small numbers of units will have to move to large numbers of specialty retailers.

I've already explained in the discussion of the Sharp Elite why it's actually impossible to hand-pick panels from a generic LCD line. But let's say they make a dedicated production run for your special monitors where they fine tune and control everything and throw out all the "bad ones". Now, what are your yields? Low. So you have to raise prices still more to pay for that.

I'd guess by the time you hit retail, your monitor will cost at least twice as much as the most expensive model today, which will make your original sales goal that much more unreachable. And I'm not sure that the performance benefit is really going to be that significant. Marginally better? Sure, no doubt.

And we saw that for twice the money, the Sharp Elite could edge the Panasonic and Samsung plasmas at a shootout of current models. The words "blow away" were not used by qualified or sophisticated viewers who actually got to see them side by side.

Bottom line, if the market existed where by significant numbers of people would pay, say, $10,000 for such a TV, I have no doubt one could be built and sold. At the parameters I think the AVS crowd wants one, I have significant doubts anything very interesting could be built and delivered.

Sorry, I think you are missing my point rogo, so let me clarify. I've worked in the marketing end of the consumer electronics industry for many years and I agree with you, it's probably not practical to produce MY perfect TV. What I keep alluding to is that the emphasis today is on content, not quality. I don't think it would be a major leap to have a better panel, rather then put all that IT crap that you can get from your play station or BD player in a less expensive set. It's about priority's which unfortunately have been changed by the convenience of the internet and this trend doesn't just include Television displays.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1379846

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #200 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I envy your VT30 but its a 55" so i think i will take my 60" ST30 over your tv.

So when you get your ST don't forget the 3D....oh wait a minute...you don't get a free pair of 3D glasses thrown in...well, time to pay a hundred bucks and more WAITING...
post #201 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlong View Post

So when you get your ST don't forget the 3D....oh wait a minute...you don't get a free pair of 3D glasses thrown in...well, time to pay a hundred bucks and more WAITING...

Ebay cheap
post #202 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:

Sorry, I think you are missing my point rogo, so let me clarify. I've worked in the marketing end of the consumer electronics industry for many years and I agree with you, it's probably not practical to produce MY perfect TV. What I keep alluding to is that the emphasis today is on content, not quality. I don't think it would be a major leap to have a better panel, rather then put all that IT crap that you can get from your play station or BD player in a less expensive set. It's about priority's which unfortunately have been changed by the convenience of the internet and this trend doesn't just include Television displays.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1379846

Ian

Totally agree

To me this makes much more sense for a connected TV - There's a Better Way to Build a Smart TV http://blog.roku.com/blog/2012/01/04...reaming_stick/

Quote from the blog 'Even though a lot of Smart TVs are sold in the U.S. many are never connected to the Internet and less are actually used for streaming. Some of this is probably just lack of awareness (I'm sure lots of people just buy a TV and don't even realize it's Smart). Yet another reason is the quality of the streaming experience can be poor. We've found that it just takes a lot of work to keep the experience current and performing at its best. We issue software updates almost every month, and add about one new channel per day.'

ROKU (or equivalent) are focused on making streaming work well for the consumer and will keep their content and user interfaces up to date. Software updates frequently - or if you need new hardware a $50 stick not a toally new TV....

(that said they are exaggerating when they say they issue software updates every month - but you get the point)
post #203 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 10:09 PM

I guess you missed the part where I said "newer apps". I'll wait while you go verify the quote...

Yes, your crappy Blu-Ray player with limited RAM and CPU can only support older Netflix UI and stream at 720p. *Newer* TV's and game consoles are constantly being updated by Netflix on the backend with new features and UI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

Quite wrong.....

My Blu-Ray Player BD390 can only do Netflix streaming at 720P and stereo. My TV until today (55LE8500) the same - both had very old versions of the UI with limited or no search capability and LG had no interest in updating either once they where no longer the current models. (Samsung, Panasonic, Sony etc are the same).

That's why I got a ROKU 2 XS a few months ago which can do Netflix streaming at 1080P / 5.1 (and I can add channels like Instant Watcher etc)

Frankly I haven't checked - but will my new TV delivered today (55VT30) do Netflix streaming at 1080P/5.1? I don't think so (but I could be wrong on this one).

As I said earlier 'The online apps are evolving at a completely different rate to the lifespan of consumer TVs - an external box (ROKU, console whatever) makes much more sense.'

In a couple of years (actually maybe months) there will probably online apps that don't even exist today.... and I am certainly not getting a new TV each time I want the latest online apps.....

post #204 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoemeat View Post

Lol go to a store and ask a normal person not a tv tech nerd what they look for in a tv, 9 times out of 10 they could give a damn about black levels, contrast ratios. If it's appealing like they amount of apps it has or whatnot they will buy it

That or thin bezel, thin overall, bright and shiny. I know quite a few people that have purchased 40"+ screens lately. Every single one has been an LCD. I ask them why, and hear that plasma sucks because they buzz horribly, can't see the screen in the daytime, burns out in a year, it's ancient tech, 20x the power bill.

I laugh.
post #205 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess you missed the part where I said "newer apps". I'll wait while you go verify the quote...

Yes, your crappy Blu-Ray player with limited RAM and CPU can only support older Netflix UI and stream at 720p. *Newer* TV's and game consoles are constantly being updated by Netflix on the backend with new features and UI.

It has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to do the with interest in the TV and Blu-Ray manufacturers in supporting previous year models (they aren't they want to sell this years model). Check which TVs support 1080P/5.1 Netflix streaming (not many).

Consoles will of course be updated as will streaming boxes with both the latest interfaces and new channels/content. It is a business model thing - not a hardware issue...

Sigh - this thread is deteriorating fast. If I contributed apologies - it was inpolite to say 'quite wrong' in my previous answer - sorry
post #206 of 969 Old 01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, your crappy Blu-Ray player with limited RAM and CPU can only support older Netflix UI and stream at 720p.

Yet out of the box it could do VUDU 1080P HDX streaming with 5.1 audio.....
post #207 of 969 Old 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Sorry, I think you are missing my point rogo, so let me clarify.

I think I probably did. Sorry about that.
Quote:

What I keep alluding to is that the emphasis today is on content, not quality. I don't think it would be a major leap to have a better panel, rather then put all that IT crap that you can get from your play station or BD player in a less expensive set. It's about priority's which unfortunately have been changed by the convenience of the internet and this trend doesn't just include Television displays.

Right. So here's the thing. You and I agree on something fundamental. I'm tired of the lack of quality products out there. I'd actually pay more for quality. We went shopping to replace our many-year-old food processor recently and couldn't find one that wasn't shredded on the internet for build quality issues....

While I think someone could sell a $300 food processor that is beyond reproach and would sell bundles of them to people like us who use it all the time... I don't think anyone can sell a $2000 TV that is better but missing features nor one that is even $3000 but better.

Even if someone in the industry said "no more apps period" and just went quality and the market demand existed, I believe the pricing would be very unattractive for the small quality improvements. Also, I believe such an approach would win over a really small audience because taking out all the "extraneous features" would alienate some people here, some people there.

While I like the idea in principle, this particular technology doesn't lend itself to this kind of implementation. The costs of creating quality are too high to sell it any kind of price that would make the market size yield a profitable business. And, yes, that's a shame.

post #208 of 969 Old 01-05-2012, 12:11 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

Ha-ha! Not likely. Compared to what's available on the market today I'd be perfectly happy with a bigger 2008-09 850U. The G10 may well have been better than the 850U, I don't know. I've never seen one next to an 850U. But I always thought lower black levels were prefered over higher black levels...

I do have personal experience with the 2008 TH-50PZ850U and the 2011 TC-P65VT30. I ran them side-by side for a month playing the same content from the same source. Everyone that saw them liked the picture on the 850U better. Neither set had been calibrated, only user menu adjustments were made to get a similar picture and it took a LOT of playing around to get the VT to look anywhere near the quality of the box-stock 850U with just a little tweaking. In the end I returned the VT because it just didn't cut the mustard where it counted the most, Picture Quality. It is supposed to be a teleVISION after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark62 View Post

and what is your point?

the so called expert was wrong,, they say that every year.

Exactly. Thank you.

post #209 of 969 Old 01-05-2012, 02:09 AM

Quote:

I have a panasonic GT25 50 ", it is fine for now.
I am hearing the 2012 models will have the ability to calibrate the colors through the hardware with a calibrator sensor
also im sure the black levels will increase.
I had a 58" V10 but the ex took it , lol , and yes i paid for it with my own money

so i think a VT40 will be a nice upgrade the VT 30 does not interest me

I think you should settle for an ST...its cheap and big.
post #210 of 969 Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoemeat View Post

Have you actually done this research? How many "normal people" did you personally ask about this?

While I do have an opinion about this, I personally don't know the factual answer .... nor do you. It fine to express your theory or opinion but if you want to be taken seriously by intelligent adults, stop expressing them as facts .... esp. with fantasy statistics.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page