Anyone have ANY Luck with a Do-It-Yourself Plasma Repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 4 year old Hitachi 55 inch plasma just died last night. No picture, no sound, no standby light, no lights or buzzing in the back.

I've done the "plug every wire out and leave it for an hour, or even overnight" and no change. This, is a dead parrot.

Although it's a beautiful TV, I don't think it makes economic sense to repair. The service call will be $100. Let's say they tell me it will cost $400 in parts and labor to repair, I'm not sure if I'd go ahead, given what you can get today.

But my question is, has anyone on this forum EVER have ANY Luck with a Do-It-Yourself Plasma Repair such as this? I've found links to people suggesting pulling off the back and checking the fuse in the power supply or on the main power board. That makes sense intuitively, but before I do, I wanted to know if I could find anyone who could give me a success story of pulling their dead plasma apart and bringing it back to life with a fuse or even swapping out a power supply or a board.

I don't even know if they have fuses inside. If it helps, the model number is 55HDT79.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn View Post

My 4 year old Hitachi 55 inch plasma just died last night. No picture, no sound, no standby light, no lights or buzzing in the back.

I've done the "plug every wire out and leave it for an hour, or even overnight" and no change. This, is a dead parrot.

Although it's a beautiful TV, I don't think it makes economic sense to repair. The service call will be $100. Let's say they tell me it will cost $400 in parts and labor to repair, I'm not sure if I'd go ahead, given what you can get today.

But my question is, has anyone on this forum EVER have ANY Luck with a Do-It-Yourself Plasma Repair such as this? I've found links to people suggesting pulling off the back and checking the fuse in the power supply or on the main power board. That makes sense intuitively, but before I do, I wanted to know if I could find anyone who could give me a success story of pulling their dead plasma apart and bringing it back to life with a fuse or even swapping out a power supply or a board.

I don't even know if they have fuses inside. If it helps, the model number is 55HDT79.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Don't know about your particular TV, but I know several people in the Maxent MX-50X3 thread have successfully fixed their TVs by replacing a capacitor. No idea what your problem could be though.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-21-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

I may go the route of replacement instead of repairman, but before I do, I figured I'd pop the back of the TV since I had nothing to lose, and I'm fairly good with fixing things. I know about the voltages back there and take the necessary precautions.

Sure enough, the main fuse on the input power board immediately next to where 120 volts enters, was blown. It’s a 10-amp fuse. I replaced it with another 10-amp fuse. This time, the fuse didn't blow. But a small amount of smoke came from the central board, which is the "Plasma Power Supply".

I can get a replacement "Plasma Power Supply" for a little over $100. I'd rather gamble this money if there's at least a 1 in 10 chance that it will solve the problem.

Here's my question: when the power supply board goes, how often is it because the power supply board had a bad component? And how often is it because some other board went bad and is frying the power supply?

I know I'm outside my depths right now. But I've got nothing to lose but my time and $100. On the 'gain' side is the satisfaction that I fixed it, and also the potential cost savings.

Finally, does anyone know of a forum / site that is more about repairs? I've managed to do most of my Audi repairs over the years with the help of certain sites, and if I can tap the knowledge of some repair people, I'd look forward to trying.

Thanks all.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I used to have a Sony that the power supply burned out on like every 2 to 3 years, got to be a simple fix after awhile. I would go with your hunch and try that first? If that isn't it you could always resell the new power supply on Craigslist. And you know you have another problem instead. Look for those bulging/leaking capacitors first though.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-01-2011, 11:58 AM

I have the 55HDT79 Hitachi which also died. I found none of the voltages for VS or VA where present. After a bunch of research it seems there is some internal diags which must pass before the voltages will trigger. It turned out the upper y buffer was bad. However once testing to determine this I removed first the upper buffer to see if the set would work. With the lower buffer connected half the screen appeared but with black horizontal bars evey other line. Kind of like looking through a window blind. I though nothing of it at the time and purchased an upper buffer. Now the whole screen works but now the whole screen has the black horizontal line issue. Parts for this beast are expensive so I purchased a refurb Ysustain and two new buffers. Once installed there was several loud pops and one of the lower buffer IC blew. The picture still works but still the hotizontal lines. I tested both buffers and definitly have several bad ICs. I am at a loss. It seems the new Ysustain caused the buffer chips to fail. Now at a cross roads on what to do. It seems I have not had good luck on used boards and what new ones I can find are way expensive. I even have the service manual which is a help to an extent. Moral to the story is used boards are what they are with usually no guarantees. I would like to fix this thing but really feeling I might be throwing money down the drain. I would be more than happy to sell you my power board since I know it works since I do get sound and a picture. Also not to discourage you, there are several boards which could cause your power board to short or it could just be the power board. If you want to part your TV out I might take one more shot at mine.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-01-2011, 12:09 PM

I have also repaired many other types of plasmas such as samsungs, Panasonics, and ones with LG internals such as LGs, Maxents, Toshibas, Insignias, HP, etc. These older LGs are a pain where the Ysustain hybrid IC fails. Its a huge chip and difficult to repair. I have done some and sent some to Coppell TV for repair. Some lasted and some did not so I really like to shy away from these models. The other brands where more power board related issues with blown Mosfets, bride rectifiers, zenier diods and the such. Usually a fuse blows for a reason from something upstream. I have repaired many and some just gave up and bought a used board but only from a shop which guarantee the part to work. Just wanted to give you some of my experience.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn View Post

I may go the route of replacement instead of repairman, but before I do, I figured I'd pop the back of the TV since I had nothing to lose, and I'm fairly good with fixing things. I know about the voltages back there and take the necessary precautions.

Sure enough, the main fuse on the input power board immediately next to where 120 volts enters, was blown. It’s a 10-amp fuse. I replaced it with another 10-amp fuse. This time, the fuse didn't blow. But a small amount of smoke came from the central board, which is the "Plasma Power Supply".

I can get a replacement "Plasma Power Supply" for a little over $100. I'd rather gamble this money if there's at least a 1 in 10 chance that it will solve the problem.

Here's my question: when the power supply board goes, how often is it because the power supply board had a bad component? And how often is it because some other board went bad and is frying the power supply?

I know I'm outside my depths right now. But I've got nothing to lose but my time and $100. On the 'gain' side is the satisfaction that I fixed it, and also the potential cost savings.

Finally, does anyone know of a forum / site that is more about repairs? I've managed to do most of my Audi repairs over the years with the help of certain sites, and if I can tap the knowledge of some repair people, I'd look forward to trying.

Thanks all.

I've seen it happen before with your plasma. The power board will fry, and the 120V fuse on the AC filter will get taken with. Without looking at the TV myself, I would have to say it's a safe bet you need a new power board.

Smile. :)
post #8 of 8 Old 09-01-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 189
It's the perfect excuse to get a new TV.

Seriously. I've never tried to fix a TV as mine have almost always failed after a decade or so. Treadmills on the other hand, I've fixed several. You can usually buy things off ebay for much less than a retailer and there are a lot of chop shops that take things apart, check the parts and sell the parts individually on ebay.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page