Laying a Plasma Flat? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 40 Old 09-04-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know it used to be you couldn't but they also used to weight a lot more. Picking up a 55 inch Panasonic Plasma and after taking some measurements I've come to the conclusion I would have to lay it flat for the drive home. I searched and only found threads that where a few years old. So what about modern Plasmas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 09-04-2011, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im sure someone with more knowledge will help you, but i recently bought one and was told to never lay it down flat.
post #3 of 40 Old 09-04-2011, 06:14 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post

I know it used to be you couldn't but they also used to weight a lot more. Picking up a 55 inch Panasonic Plasma and after taking some measurements I've come to the conclusion I would have to lay it flat for the drive home. I searched and only found threads that where a few years old. So what about modern Plasmas?

There are several recent threads and posts in other thread about transporting the TV laying down. Nothing has changed in the past 12 years - it's still not advised to transport a Plasma laying down and all the manufacturers still say to transport them upright, and specifically advise against transporting them flat.

They may weigh less than before, but the thinner cabinets and flimsier chassis and lack of protective outer glass on the new models makes them even more susceptible to cracking while being transported laying down.

The packing in the box supports the bottom of the TV when upright, but there is no packing to support the center of the TV when it's laying down so it can sort of "bend" in the unsupported middle. Many of us have transported them laying down with no ill effects, but just know that doing so greatly increases the risk of cracking the panel.
gus738 likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 40 Old 09-04-2011, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The simple act of laying it down flat is unlikely to do any damage. Recall a recent post that stated that Samsung RECOMMENDED laying a plasma down - on a cushioned surface - in order to facilitate mounting the screen to the stand.

The danger that I would be worried about is the Bouncing / Jostling that is likely to happen on a drive of any duration. Again, there has been a recent thread about someone in a similar situation - PER MEMORY (NOT Perfect!), that person ended up driving it home at something like a 45-degree angle...

Would be tempted to try that if store was Very Close to home. But if YOU break the set in transportation, doubt that any type of warranty would provide coverage.
post #5 of 40 Old 09-04-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ill have to figure out something then, Maybe I can borrow my dads truck.
post #6 of 40 Old 09-04-2011, 06:58 PM

post #7 of 40 Old 09-05-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

They may weigh less than before, but the thinner cabinets and flimsier chassis and lack of protective outer glass on the new models makes them even more susceptible to cracking while being transported laying down.

The packing in the box supports the bottom of the TV when upright, but there is no packing to support the center of the TV when it's laying down so it can sort of "bend" in the unsupported middle. Many of us have transported them laying down with no ill effects, but just know that doing so greatly increases the risk of cracking the panel.

I agree with that to 100%.
I would also like to add that a couple of years ago 55" was not very common back then 32-47 was the norm.
And there have been cases now and then when people have broken their tv when moved flat for many years.

And if you think about it if you take 1 mm glass and place it on a frame on the outer edge of the glass then press in the middle with a finger (or something else) which glass would require the least preassure to break the 32" or 55"?
I would say the 55" is way easier to break then the 32".
So i would assume that the same would apply when moving a tv.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 11:08 AM

Liked: 12
Originally plasma TV boxes used to have a tilt meter on them and distributors and stores would refuse to sign for them if the liquid had drained out (meaning they'd been transported flat). Since they no longer have such features on the box one would assume they are properly packed now to support the screen if laid flat. I have seen unboxings of plasma TVs and they have styro blocks that extend down not all the way but a good ways toward the center of the screen. One way to tell how well a plasma is packed before even deciding to buy it is have a salesman bring a boxed one out and feel the front side of the box. You should be able to tell by lightly pressing inward how far toward the center of the screen the styro blocks support it.

It also matters of course what is behind the screen inside the TV as far as rear support of the glass goes. Due to the unknown of the TV's internal construction as far as how well the back of the screen is supported though, if laid flat, as long as you can feel good styro support on the front toward the center of the screen, I would lay it face down with adequate padding underneath. Most styro blocks I've seen in unboxings reach a good 1/3 way toward the center of the screen, leaving a very small portion in the middle no bigger than the size of a 24" screen unsupported, which should be fine.

If transporting a large plasma without the original packaging, it is recommended to buy a roll of bubble wrap and put a good 4 layers all the way around the TV, then wrap a mover's blanket around it and tape it in place. The final step is to get a large cardboard box, slit it open, and wrap the cardboard around it and tape it in place.

Be aware that salesmen will often embellish about potential harm to plasmas, even if laid flat let alone transported that way. I've heard talk of some even claiming the "plasma" will settle. Plasma TVs don't even have plasma. It's actually an inert gas much like CRTs have.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am not sure you are accurately describing your "tranportation predicament"... :-)

You are saying that the only way you can transport the unit is FLAT.... meaning that you only have 8-12 inches of vertical space (for a boxed item). Could be, but it more likely you have more vertical space than that... which means you can likely transport the item at some angle which will greatly reduce any problem with pressure on the overall view surface. Just ensure that you place any "props" on the edges of the box / unit where there is support, then you will likely be fine.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post

it's pretty straight forward, the screen is a large piece of glass that is most fragile when laid face down, and most likely to break that way during transportation.

I've brought home a 50" Samsung years ago flat, with the screen up and it made it fine, but ultimately it's a risk, and YOU have to decide if it's worth it cause you'll be the one stuck dealing with it.

personally, I think the length of drive and condition of the roads would be the most important thing to consider, as well as the condition of your suspension.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #11 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit85 View Post

Thanks Ill have to figure out something then, Maybe I can borrow my dads truck.

yeah. I'm surprised you'd even consider doing this if this is an option. better safe than sorry, and I'd hope your dad wouldn't mind spending a little time with ya(or just let you take the truck if he's busy)

this is definitely the best option, and you shouldn't even consider laying it flat for transport unless you have no other choices

post #12 of 40 Old 03-17-2014, 07:50 PM

Liked: 17

Don't do it.  Its just not worth the risk even though you'd likely be OK doing so.  If nothing else, just rent a Uhaul truck or trailer for $20 or so.  That's what I did years ago when I bought my rear projection 55" Hitachi (which I still have to this day).  Really an inexpensive way to be safe rather than sorry.

post #13 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan View Post

Originally plasma TV boxes used to have a tilt meter on them and distributors and stores would refuse to sign for them if the liquid had drained out (meaning they'd been transported flat). Since they no longer have such features on the box one would assume they are properly packed now to support the screen if laid flat. I have seen unboxings of plasma TVs and they have styro blocks that extend down not all the way but a good ways toward the center of the screen. One way to tell how well a plasma is packed before even deciding to buy it is have a salesman bring a boxed one out and feel the front side of the box. You should be able to tell by lightly pressing inward how far toward the center of the screen the styro blocks support it.

It also matters of course what is behind the screen inside the TV as far as rear support of the glass goes. Due to the unknown of the TV's internal construction as far as how well the back of the screen is supported though, if laid flat, as long as you can feel good styro support on the front toward the center of the screen, I would lay it face down with adequate padding underneath. Most styro blocks I've seen in unboxings reach a good 1/3 way toward the center of the screen, leaving a very small portion in the middle no bigger than the size of a 24" screen unsupported, which should be fine.

If transporting a large plasma without the original packaging, it is recommended to buy a roll of bubble wrap and put a good 4 layers all the way around the TV, then wrap a mover's blanket around it and tape it in place. The final step is to get a large cardboard box, slit it open, and wrap the cardboard around it and tape it in place.

Be aware that salesmen will often embellish about potential harm to plasmas, even if laid flat let alone transported that way. I've heard talk of some even claiming the "plasma" will settle. Plasma TVs don't even have plasma. It's actually an inert gas much like CRTs have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post

I am not sure you are accurately describing your "tranportation predicament"... :-)

You are saying that the only way you can transport the unit is FLAT.... meaning that you only have 8-12 inches of vertical space (for a boxed item). Could be, but it more likely you have more vertical space than that... which means you can likely transport the item at some angle which will greatly reduce any problem with pressure on the overall view surface. Just ensure that you place any "props" on the edges of the box / unit where there is support, then you will likely be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTechPC View Post

Don't do it.  Its just not worth the risk even though you'd likely be OK doing so.  If nothing else, just rent a Uhaul truck or trailer for $20 or so.  That's what I did years ago when I bought my rear projection 55" Hitachi (which I still have to this day).  Really an inexpensive way to be safe rather than sorry.

I'm quite sure the OP has sorted out his transportation issue since the original post was 30 months ago or so. There's many posts that refer to boxing, transporting most any display anyway. Someone with a "current" transportation issue I would think might offer up the particular issue he/she feels he/she is faced with and there would be appropriate responses.
post #14 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

boo, hi def fan bringing this back from the dead and fooling us all...

post #15 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally plasma TV boxes used to have a tilt meter on them and distributors and stores would refuse to sign for them if the liquid had drained out (meaning they'd been transported flat).
Are you saying manufacturers don't add them anymore? Coz I was looking for one after carefully having transported my 55-Pana home in a perfect upright position - I would like to know if the box was handled equally well by others before me in the distribution chain, but I can't find such thing (at first thought that touch pen was the tilt mete lol).
post #16 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovesundays View Post

Are you saying manufacturers don't add them anymore? Coz I was looking for one after carefully having transported my 55-Pana home in a perfect upright position - I would like to know if the box was handled equally well by others before me in the distribution chain, but I can't find such thing (at first thought that touch pen was the tilt mete lol).

You got a touch pen with your TV? Not sure if that's what you meant so I had to ask.
post #17 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 10:41 AM

Yes, there's a white electronic touch pen included which, according to the manual, "allows you to paint or play games on the TV screen". I was surprised, too - who would use his plasma that way? I guess it must be for business customers, think of exhibitions etc.

post #18 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, there's a white electronic touch pen included which, according to the manual, "allows you to paint or play games on the TV screen". I was surprised, too - who would use his plasma that way? I guess it must be for business customers, think of exhibitions etc.

it's funny cause, when I was shopping and deciding between the f8500, vt and zt, the 'touch pen' thing was actually an intriguing feature for me. I'm a teacher, and we use smart boards(large touch pad screens for use with a projector) and some times editing notes on one takes 1/10th as long as it would to do on a normal computer. I wasn't sure if the 'drawings' would stay on the tv, or if they could be input to the computer I had it hooked up to though, which is the only way it would have been useful to me.

definitely seems more in line with a 'professional' setting though. whether it be in a conference room, or media production. it did seem odd that somebody would want to draw on their tv at home though,

post #19 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know. Hard to remember what countries got those. We in NA didn't get any.
post #20 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103

Layed both a 2013 Samsung 51" F4500 and a 2013 Panasonic Viera 50X60 down for transport to the house, no problems.  Sammy was in the box, Panny was out-- laid it face up on a thick comforter in the back of my SUV.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

post #21 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

Thanks for letting me know. Hard to remember what countries got those. We in NA didn't get any.

NA as in north America? really good thing I didn't go with a vt then I guess, would have been a little bummed by that, cause everything I read said I should get one. or maybe I didn't get the stylus, but it still had the feature?

post #22 of 40 Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea, North America. They all should have the feature built in, I've seen it available on my VT. I don't know what tv you have. I looked at them on Amazon and one VT owner said his panel had scratches that he could see when the tv is off. That's all I had to hear, lol.
post #23 of 40 Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Yes, I'm saying originally the shipping boxes had a little liquid vial tilt meter that would result in the liquid draining out of the vial to indicate whether it had been laid flat.

They don't use tilt meters anymore, and the box has NO warnings on how to transport them, nor do the salesmen say anything about how to transport them. You'd think if numerous people were cracking their plasma screens by laying them flat the stores would warn them.

Look at some unboxing vids, the packing material is different now. I've seen an unboxing of a plasma in Germany where the styro blocks went pretty much all the way to the center of the screen. Since they drive pretty fast in Germany, that makes sense.

Bottom line, if you're paranoid, transport it upright and make SURE it doesn't fall over. It's not absolutely necessary anymore though, and no, it's not a huge risk as some imply to lay them flat, esp if you put padding underneath to keep it from being jarred by bumps.

Yeah you can rent a Uhaul, even a 10' covered truck for $20, but in my case I'd be adding another $13 for mileage. That IMO was probably redundant considering the store staff we're indicating they place TVs flat in people's vehicles all the time, which probably means they receive and deliver them that way too.

So I'd be spending that time and money for nothing more than the illusion of peace of mind.
post #24 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 AM

Quote:

They don't use tilt meters anymore, and the box has NO warnings on how to transport them, nor do the salesmen say anything about how to transport them.
Thanks. That explains why I didn't find any such thing in my box. The salesman, though, told me to transport it in an upright position and to not lay it flat. Would have done it that way anyways. Ordered a taxi van which was 15€ total (Germany).
post #25 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM

The biggest worry when transporting a large TV flat is that that puts a lot of pressure on the screen glass which can crack if subjected to a shock or jolt while already under that pressure.

post #26 of 40 Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:

Thanks. That explains why I didn't find any such thing in my box..

They weren't IN the box, it was a little thing that was part of the outside of the box.

Like I said though, that they don't use them anymore means something has changed, and that change is not apathy by the manufacturer, it's better packaging.

Look at some unboxings of modern plasma TVs. You'll commonly see styro blocks placed where they didn't used to.This supports the screen and keeps it from all this flexing people have been waxing on about.

50" Panasonic plasma with styro block suporting center of screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRa7g4FDiKM#t=3m48s

60" Samsung plasma with HUGE center placed styro block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YV8yIyG05M#t=4m46s

60" LG plasma with large center placed styro block
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ngvsmOteM#t=3m26s

50" LG plasma in Germany unboxed way back in 2009, and even it has large styro blocks that extend to the center of the screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3p7QryWrLI#t=0m50s

As you can see, Samsung and LG have the most substantial packaging. I really like too how some of the new plasma boxes have removable clamps so you can easily just slide the box off the top.
post #27 of 40 Old 03-22-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Every time this question is asked, it's always suggested not to transport a plasma flat. The reality though is, if you are just making a short car ride and put some blankets down or Styrofoam around the edges, it is highly unlikely anything bad will happen. I've seen a lot of success stories and to be honest I can't remember anyone saying they actually broke their plasma screen doing this. YMMV.
post #28 of 40 Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM

Lol, that is exactly true and its very unlikely anything bad would happen.  But I ain't going to roll the dice with my $1k investment when I can just rent a $20 Uhaul and be assured of a safe transport.

post #29 of 40 Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTechPC View Post

Lol, that is exactly true and its very unlikely anything bad would happen.  But I ain't going to roll the dice with my $1k investment when I can just rent a $20 Uhaul and be assured of a safe transport.
Where can you rent a uhaul for $20 including gas, mileage and insurance?
post #30 of 40 Old 03-25-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Where can you rent a uhaul for $20 including gas, mileage and insurance?

http://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/RatesTrailers.aspx

And truck rates start at $19.95 plus $.79 per mile which for the average person may end up being another $10-$15.

http://www.uhaul.com/reservations/RatesTrucks.aspx

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page