Pioneer PDP-503CMX and HDCP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I own an "old" Pioneer PDP-503CMX plasma display that I purchased when it first came out (yes, paid 5 figures for it...) along with the PDA-5002 video card that has a DVI input but no HDCP support.

Until now, everything's been working great. My media PC, Directv satellite top-box, and XBox 360 have all been able to display amazing video in 720p, and 5.1 sound is handled by my Denon receiver.

Now that new devices are out and the world is evolving a bit, I've acquired new toys such as a 13" MacBook Air and an Apple TV. Unfortunately, neither of these work - likely due to lack of HDCP support.
I've tried various HDMI and DVI cables, HDMI to DVI adapters, converter boxes such as the ones sold by Monoprice.com, to no avail. I'm also getting an "out of range" message on the display for several inputs.

The short question is: is there still a way to make my plasma display HDCP-compliant, or am I SOL?
I've read a bunch about Aurora cards but have not been able to find a compatible one that is still being sold.
If you know of alternative & creative ways around this, any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
-Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM

While I'm not a technical expert, I also own a 503-CMX and here are a couple suggestions:

- Use component video into your 5002. That's what I did for quite a while. You will have to purchase 3 inexpensive adapters to connect the component cable into the 5002 (RCA to BNC I think.) This was recommended by my retailer and worked like a charm. If your Apple TV and Mac Book don't have component, you'll have to get adapter for this, too. But should work.

- I later purchased an Aurora A-304 which supports digital HDCP. You might check online sites for used versions. This is the only model to my knowledge that will work with our 503.

Good luck!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM

I had two of those PDP-503CMX units. (Well, actually, I still have them )

I ran one for quite a while using an HDFury2 HDMI converter feeding into the Pioneer's component inputs. Used it with both Blu-Ray and with a DirecTV HD box, via a Pioneer AVR. The converter could be a little bit picky at times, but generally it did work.

There is a "new and improved" HDFury3 version. However, these things are, ahem, "quasi-legal" , and are probably now only available from overseas sources, since North American distribution has been halted by the HDCP police with threats of legal action. Everything about them has disappeared from the curtpalme.com web site. Monoprice used to have them but no more. The hkmod.com web site is shut down. (Thank you Hollywood for your rampant paranoia.)

And I'm sorry, but I won't be selling mine to anybody. Try eBay? Or try to get one from Taiwan or Hong Kong.

Keith
post #4 of 6 Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Keith, this was very helpful!

I went out and ordered the HDFury3, and just received it a few days ago.
I'm happy to report that it works very well, so I'm a happy camper now :-)

I can finally use various HDMI sources with built-in digital sound!
Thanks again for the suggestion.

-Marc
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Liked: 12
My question is that ; what is the PDP- 503CMX value and is worth buying from a friend ; I just need iuse in bedroom which is min use.
Thanks
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggragets View Post

My question is that ; what is the PDP- 503CMX value and is worth buying from a friend ; I just need iuse in bedroom which is min use.
Thanks

My boss tried to sell his PDP-504CMX on Craigslist last year - he listed it at $400 and for about a month and he kept lowering his price and even at $200 it still didn't sell over the next month. He finally gave up and gave it to his 6-yr-old grandson to watch big cartoons on. He was amazed that a $4,300 monitor had become so useless and valueless.

Why would you want this washed out old non-HDCP compliant monitor? A used 2008 Panny 50PZ80U or even a PX80U blows it out of the water in picture quality and those go for pretty cheap.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page