Official Pioneer Kuro Reddish Tint Problem Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Kuro have a reddish tint to the blacks?
KRP-500M/KRP-600M - NO 10 19.23%
5020FD/6020FD - NO 3 5.77%
111FD/151FD - NO 6 11.54%
101FD/141FD - NO 6 11.54%
Other/Older Model (please post) - NO 4 7.69%
KRP-500M/KRP-600M - YES 10 19.23%
5020FD/6020FD - YES 7 13.46%
111FD/151FD - YES 5 9.62%
101FD/141FD - YES 2 3.85%
Other/Older Model (please post) - YES 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

However there are a few panels that are unmistakably red... yes I seen one before.

Were you able to correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
It would have been better to group the panels by size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post

Thanks for some input...mine is not severe but definately not a neutral black either. And it looks reddish at any viewing distance. On mixed material though it pretty much looks black..seldom do I think letterbox bars look reddish. So mine might be in the realm of 'normal' for these. I am sure there are varying degrees. Without seeing other ones it's hard to say. Do you have any idea what might be causing some panels to be so much more red??

Duds. There are even 600M/151FD/6020FDs that measure 0.003fL.

post #34 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeG View Post

Were you able to correct?

No

post #35 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Duds. There are even 600M/151FD/6020FDs that measure 0.003fL.

What are the 600M/151FD/6020FDs supposed to measure?
post #36 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac13 View Post

what are the 600m/151fd/6020fds supposed to measure?

0.001?

home theater addict
post #37 of 2699 Old 09-22-2011, 11:38 PM

Liked: 10
Each of my 3 KUROs' has a slightly reddish-tint to black scenes, but none of them are "annoying red" for me to QQ about. From my experience, the older the KURO - the redder its' blacks become.

p.s. I messed up when answering your poll = less relevant
post #38 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

No

did it show up in your measurements?
post #39 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I guess annoying might be dependent on the person haha. The important thing is that you have let us know that you are another case having this problem.

p.s. - It is the end of the world that you screwed up the poll!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

Each of my 3 KUROs' has a slightly reddish-tint to black scenes, but none of them are "annoying red" for me to QQ about. From my experience, the older the KURO - the redder its' blacks become.

post #40 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Snow View Post

If that were true, 8G kuros should be more red than 9G kuros. Granted, I haven't seen that many kuros, but the ones I have seen - none have had a red tint, 8G or 9G.
post #41 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did you view dark content or a dark movie in a completely dark room? If not then you aren't going to see it unless the set is REALLY bad. Like I said, mine is only visible in the pitch dark and on the letterbars with dark content. I hate to say it but I kind of feel like more people might have this problem but they watch with some sort of light on or their eyes aren't discerning enough or maybe they just haven't looked for it (which I don't blame them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

If that were true, 8G kuros should be more red than 9G kuros. Granted, I haven't seen that many kuros, but the ones I have seen - none have had a red tint, 8G or 9G.

post #42 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:04 AM

It is not just in the letterbox on my set, I watched Deadwood on blu ray last night, (1.78:1) The red tint is clearly visible during darker scenes.
post #43 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Did you view dark content or a dark movie in a completely dark room? If not then you aren't going to see it unless the set is REALLY bad. Like I said, mine is only visible in the pitch dark and on the letterbars with dark content. I hate to say it but I kind of feel like more people might have this problem but they watch with some sort of light on or their eyes aren't discerning enough or maybe they just haven't looked for it (which I don't blame them).

Obviously, I was discerning enough to settle on a kuro, but I'm too blind to be able to tell if blacks appear red with the lights out

Actually, I think at one point I did start to see some odd redness on the black blob startup screen, but I changed up my viewing habits and it disappeared. I forget what I did at the time to get rid of it though.
post #44 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I wonder too how many have this but don't notice it. Although AVS'ers tend to be FAR more critical than the average tv owner. It does take a really dark, or totally dark room to notice this issue on my set.
post #45 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously, I was discerning enough to settle on a kuro, but I'm too blind to be able to tell if blacks appear red with the lights out

Actually, I think at one point I did start to see some odd redness on the black blob startup screen, but I changed up my viewing habits and it disappeared. I forget what I did at the time to get rid of it though.

Mine always has irregular reddish blobs on the initial startup screen before it drops to the next lower black level. Does anyone else see this behavior on their sets?
post #46 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine always has irregular reddish blobs on the initial startup screen before it drops to the next lower black level.

Blobs?

That's supposed to be a single black blob on a lighter black background.
post #47 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Blobs?

That's supposed to be a single black blob on a lighter black background.

Yes blobs..irregular shaped reddish patches...and they can be seen even with some room lighting on. As soon as the set drops to the next lower black level they go away. My final black screen is pretty uniform albeit slightly reddish. What do you mean by a single black blob?
post #48 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:38 AM

I see four different pictures when the set is turned on, the first is solid grey, the second is greyish black with the red tint of death hiding out, the third is greyish blue, the fourth is solid black. I am going to try dlplover's suggestion of "black wash" for several hours a day and see if there is any difference over the next few weeks.
post #49 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANKGOD4PLASMA View Post

I see four different pictures when the set is turned on, the first is solid grey, the second is greyish black with the red tint of death hiding out, the third is greyish blue, the fourth is solid black. I am going to try dlplover's suggestion of "black wash" for several hours a day and see if there is any difference over the next few weeks.

My step one 'solid grey' is covered in large reddish tinted blobs...has not changed at all in the year I have owned it. I just figured they were all that way..guess not! After startup though it doesn't seem to be an issue. I could take a picture and post if anyone wants to see.
post #50 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:53 AM

Quote:

My step one 'solid grey' is covered in large reddish tinted blobs...has not changed at all in the year I have owned it. I just figured they were all that way..guess not! After startup though it doesn't seem to be an issue. I could take a picture and post if anyone wants to see.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this was last night when I was switching inputs. I have seen exactly what you described when first turning the panel on, but on mine it seems to fizzle away before reaching screen two
post #51 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, I should have mentioned this was last night when I was switching inputs. I have seen exactly what you described when first turning the panel on, but on mine it seems to fizzle away before reaching screen two

Mine pretty much fizzles away on step 2 also.
post #52 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes blobs..irregular shaped reddish patches...and they can be seen even with some room lighting on. As soon as the set drops to the next lower black level they go away. My final black screen is pretty uniform albeit slightly reddish. What do you mean by a single black blob?

Big black blob in the center of the screen that seems to spread as black level is initializing.
post #53 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What startup screen are you guys talking about? I haven't noticed like 4 different screens though. I might know what you are talking about though. When I am using my PS3 to watch a movie I come across something similar. The PS3 is on and when I click "play movie" it switches to a lighter gray screen (no red) and then goes to the deeper black that it stays on for the movie and this is what has the reddish tint. I have never noticed any "blobs" as you guys mention though. Some saying they have red blobs and some saying black. I guess when I first start it up I have darker streaks all over the screen that go away almost immediately (warming up I guess). Maybe these are the "blobs" you guys are talking about? It isn't one big blob though. It is more like a ton of different streaks that are more localized toward the center.

What I don't understand is why it switches between different gray/black levels and what each one is and why only the final one has the red tint (the only one that matters haha)

Quote:

post #54 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What startup screen are you guys talking about? I haven't noticed like 4 different screens though. I might know what you are talking about though. When I am using my PS3 to watch a movie I come across something similar. The PS3 is on and when I click "play movie" it switches to a lighter gray screen (no red) and then goes to the deeper black that it stays on for the movie and this is what has the reddish tint. I have never noticed any "blobs" as you guys mention though. Some saying they have red blobs and some saying black. I guess when I first start it up I have darker streaks all over the screen that go away almost immediately (warming up I guess). Maybe these are the "blobs" you guys are talking about? It isn't one big blob though. It is more like a ton of different streaks that are more localized toward the center.

Mine are reddish irregular blobs on a dark grey screen when the set is first turned on. There are either 3 or 4 steps to final darkest screen..I need to note more carefully. Weird that different sets act so different at startup. Pioneer's QC wasn't perfect either was it? lol Every new set that is somewhat close in PQ to our Kuros (Sony 929, Sharp Elite etc.) has some sort of issues as well. We may as well be content with what we have for a few more years.
post #55 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 09:40 AM

Just got off the phone with an autorized Pioneer repair center, told them the issue, and was told they have run into this with 1 display. The person who actually worked on this display was out of the center when I called, I am waiting for his return call now, I will report back with details.....
post #56 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just got off the phone with an autorized Pioneer repair center, told them the issue, and was told they have run into this with 1 display. The person who actually worked on this display was out of the center when I called, I am waiting for his return call now, I will report back with details.....

Awesome..will be interesting to hear if it's a simple fix or requires a new panel..if a new panel we are all out of luck but at least we know where we stand and can stop wondering.
post #57 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have a 5080 and when it was new I did feel the reds were slightly stronger than Id like overall but service menu adjustments and regular user settings that I gathered from this forum took care of it. The picture on this set STILL kills everything else I look at no matter what it is. Its scary how good even the "lowly" 5080 is compared to all the hyped-up LEDs and other gimmicky sets out there.

I hope she lasts forever since I aint seen nothing that can replace it!
post #58 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ya we should all call our local repair centers and see if they have come across this issue. I haven't called mine yet.

Quote:

Awesome..will be interesting to hear if it's a simple fix or requires a new panel..if a new panel we are all out of luck but at least we know where we stand and can stop wondering.

post #59 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

mikey it sounds like you probably don't have the same issue since you were able to adjust it out. I used to have a 5020 that had a red push but I had it calibrated and it got rid of that. The color temperature was just too low on that set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

I have a 5080 and when it was new I did feel the reds were slightly stronger than Id like overall but service menu adjustments and regular user settings that I gathered from this forum took care of it. The picture on this set STILL kills everything else I look at no matter what it is. Its scary how good even the "lowly" 5080 is compared to all the hyped-up LEDs and other gimmicky sets out there.

I hope she lasts forever since I aint seen nothing that can replace it!

post #60 of 2699 Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hope there is an easy fix. I've had this issue for about a year or so on my KRP-500M. It's only annoying when I pay attention to it
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page