Official Pioneer Kuro Reddish Tint Problem Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Kuro have a reddish tint to the blacks?
KRP-500M/KRP-600M - NO 5 14.71%
5020FD/6020FD - NO 2 5.88%
111FD/151FD - NO 5 14.71%
101FD/141FD - NO 4 11.76%
Other/Older Model (please post) - NO 2 5.88%
KRP-500M/KRP-600M - YES 7 20.59%
5020FD/6020FD - YES 6 17.65%
111FD/151FD - YES 2 5.88%
101FD/141FD - YES 2 5.88%
Other/Older Model (please post) - YES 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 2680 Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just wanted to post a quick update on my TV. My own experience was I reset CHM and CPM and everything looked fine but I had the crushing black issue. I resolved it by raising VOLRST P until it was gone. However after about 300 hours the red tint returned slightly. This was due to the TV making it's own programmed adjustments after x hours. I spoke to a friend in another forum and he said that all of his voltage setting were at stock levels apart from VOLYNOFSA D which he had raised by 20. His set is at 800 hours after reset so I did the same, put VOLRST P back to where it was before I changed it (23) and raised VOLYNOFSA D by 20. That got rid of the red tint once again and I have left as is. Still a perfect picture and everything is great (no sparkles, black crush or red tint). I am now at 400 hours past reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 2680 Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 AM

Liked: 10
I've got the red tint on my 5020. Not sure on the hours, 2.5 yrs old and on most of the time.. Really annoying when watching blu-rays in dark setting..I'm looking for help in the buffalo ny area... I don't have the equipment to get in the service menu to try the reset
post #753 of 2680 Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroud View Post

Just wanted to post a quick update on my TV. My own experience was I reset CHM and CPM and everything looked fine but I had the crushing black issue. I resolved it by raising VOLRST P until it was gone. However after about 300 hours the red tint returned slightly. This was due to the TV making it's own programmed adjustments after x hours. I spoke to a friend in another forum and he said that all of his voltage setting were at stock levels apart from VOLYNOFSA D which he had raised by 20. His set is at 800 hours after reset so I did the same, put VOLRST P back to where it was before I changed it (23) and raised VOLYNOFSA D by 20. That got rid of the red tint once again and I have left as is. Still a perfect picture and everything is great (no sparkles, black crush or red tint). I am now at 400 hours past reset.

So if you got rid of the red tint by raising VOLYNOFSA D by 20 then are any resets actually needed?
post #754 of 2680 Old 03-05-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

So if you got rid of the red tint by raising VOLYNOFSA D by 20 then are any resets actually needed?

I can't really comment because I have already performed the reset, however (based on picture quality) it was the right thing to do.
post #755 of 2680 Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 98
Quote:

Can you please tell me which settings are different now compared to the values Before you did the reset (before and after numbers list would be really helpful)? i.e is the only difference between right now and pre-reset is the VOLYNOFSA D value?

Will accessing the service menu allow me to change the VOLYNOFSA D setting to see if it will make any difference without doing the entire reset? I have controlcal which I assume I can enter the service menu through it, I'll post my results if I managed to do that and change the VOLYNOFSA D value, if it worked I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in doing this instead of the entire reset.

KRP-500M | Kuro 9G 5020FD + e-lite mod | B&W 683 Fronts | B&W 685 Center | B&W DM601 S3 Rears | HSU VTF3 MK3 Sub | Yamaha RX-V663 AVR
post #756 of 2680 Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Can you please tell me which settings are different now compared to the values Before you did the reset (before and after numbers list would be really helpful)? i.e is the only difference between right now and pre-reset is the VOLYNOFSA D value?

Will accessing the service menu allow me to change the VOLYNOFSA D setting to see if it will make any difference without doing the entire reset? I have controlcal which I assume I can enter the service menu through it, I'll post my results if I managed to do that and change the VOLYNOFSA D value, if it worked I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in doing this instead of the entire reset.

I'd be very interested to see how you get on. I'm not keen on resetting the pulse meter / hour meter, but I don't have any issues playing with a setting or two
post #757 of 2680 Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicaband View Post

Yes, the only setting I have different from stock values now is VOLYNOFSA D which is raised by 20. My values for the voltage section (about 8 of them I think including VOLYNOFSA D) are the same as stated in the service manual under section 8.4, adjustment when screen is replaced. Your best bet is to write down what yours are currently as they don't change even though there is constant adjustment happening behind the scenes.

Honestly though, if I put my VOLYKNOFSA D back to stock level I have very very slight black crush. If I hadn't done the reset then I would be showing red tint at those values.

To my knowledge the only way to reduce the red tint is by lowering VOLRST P (similarly raising it increases red tint), but in many cases there is not enough scope to do this and red tint remains.

Honestly I would do the reset and then tune the values. This TV is like a musical instrument when it comes to adjustment.
post #758 of 2680 Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
It seems im having this problem D-Nice mentioned here- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=452 I hope it's not red blacks. But either way it's annoying and shouldn't be there on a TV like this.

On a full black screen, the middle area is black and the surrounding area around it has a purple/red haze. If i go up close to the TV i can't see any purple/red. But if i stand at a distance it's real obvious. Also, this morning with the TV off i noticed a fog like haze in the in the corners of the display and along the left side. This pattern is in the exact location where i see the purple/red glow. I have to stand a couple feet from the TV to see it too.

Should i call pioneer? Im out of the warranty but i have 6 months left on my amex warranty. They said they'll pay for whatever service the TV needs from whoever i choose to call.

home theater addict
post #759 of 2680 Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

On a white color slide it's not uniform. Im getting light green patches. It's on the left and right side. They're very light in color. Have to focus to see it, but it's there.

home theater addict
post #760 of 2680 Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
There is nothing wrong with your display. Sounds like you have what has been labled "black blob". You should also expect the center of your screen to look difference compared to the outer edges as the display ages due to uneven phosphor wear (this will happen on PDP, Backlit LD LED LCD, OLED and CRTs). Remember the the center of a display will receive more wear compared to the outer edges with regular content due to the fact the the focus of regular content is the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

It seems im having this problem D-Nice mentioned here- http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=452 I hope it's not red blacks. But either way it's annoying and shouldn't be there on a TV like this.

On a full black screen, the middle area is black and the surrounding area around it has a purple/red haze. If i go up close to the TV i can't see any purple/red. But if i stand at a distance it's real obvious. Also, this morning with the TV off i noticed a fog like haze in the in the corners of the display and along the left side. This pattern is in the exact location where i see the purple/red glow. I have to stand a couple feet from the TV to see it too.

Should i call pioneer? Im out of the warranty but i have 6 months left on my amex warranty. They said they'll pay for whatever service the TV needs from whoever i choose to call.

post #761 of 2680 Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

There is nothing wrong with your display. Sounds like you have what has been labled "black blob". You should also expect the center of your screen to look difference compared to the outer edges as the display ages due to uneven phosphor wear (this will happen on PDP, Backlit LD LED LCD, OLED and CRTs). Remember the the center of a display will receive more wear compared to the outer edges with regular content due to the fact the the focus of regular content is the center.

It sure seems like something is wrong. And what about these green patches im seeing now? There weren't there before.

Will running slides cure any of this?

home theater addict
post #762 of 2680 Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

It sure seems like something is wrong.

Well, if you think something is wrong, call Pioneer. Based on what you posted, there is nothing wrong with your display. But.... you are the owner of it.

Quote:

Will running slides cure any of this?

No
post #763 of 2680 Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, if you think something is wrong, call Pioneer. Based on what you posted, there is nothing wrong with your display. But.... you are the owner of it.

No

Well i guess i'll take your word.

Still don't understand why there's green stain like color on a full white screen. It's definitely there cause when browsing the internet, if move the screen to where to green is, over words, like these that im typing now, you can see it shade over it. It's not a regular green color, it's very light.

home theater addict
post #764 of 2680 Old 03-09-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 200
More than likely it's because the red and blue phosphors in the center of the screen have gotten weaker than the green phosphors in the central area of the screen. If the TV is now calibrated to make the center of the screen accurate, you could easily end up with the center of the screen being nice and neutral while the perimeter of the screen would be too magenta.

"Movies is magic..." Van Dyke Parks
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
ISF -- HAA -- www.dBtheatrical.com
Widescreen Review -- Home Theater & Sound
post #765 of 2680 Old 03-09-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Well i see green everywhere now. On faces too. Honesty, i don't know how long it has been like this because i never really examined my set like crazy until this thread. It can't be a +green set cause i have a 2009 panel and i've heard of no one else with this problem.

Turning down the green high helps.

home theater addict
post #766 of 2680 Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn View Post

More than likely it's because the red and blue phosphors in the center of the screen have gotten weaker than the green phosphors in the central area of the screen. If the TV is now calibrated to make the center of the screen accurate, you could easily end up with the center of the screen being nice and neutral while the perimeter of the screen would be too magenta.

I don't know. It literally looks like a light green stain along the left side and the upper right corner. It's real obvious when you move a darker material over those areas of the screen. And now i get green on movies. Going from performance to pure or movie is horrible. Faces look sick green. I guess performance has settings that calibrate it out.

Edit- I think im gonna try and call pioneer. Red blacks (don't care if the kind i have is normal. It's too noticeable when most of the screen is dark), and now the hulk has taking over my TV.

home theater addict
post #767 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Liked: 11
I am located in Orlando Florida and would like to know if any of you who know how to access the service menu and adjust voltages can do it for me. Il pay you. I have the 111FD i just purchased a week ago for $1050
post #768 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Exactly why would you want to modify voltages on something you just aquired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by locdog33 View Post

I am located in Orlando Florida and would like to know if any of you who know how to access the service menu and adjust voltages can do it for me. Il pay you. I have the 111FD i just purchased a week ago for $1050

post #769 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Looking at a few forums some people have fixed this red issue by entering service menu and factory resetting everything and making a few adjustments
post #770 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Looking at a few forums some people have fixed this red issue by entering service menu and factory resetting everything and making a few adjustments
post #771 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Mines also have the red tint in black areas
post #772 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm confused. You just purchased the 111FD and you actually know you are affected by a red idle luminance which, btw, very few in this thread actually have? Risks be damned?

I bet what you are seeing is no more than the normal illumination of your display's filter due to poor low end grayscale tracking and the filter itself.... which BTW is much more red/purple on the 111FD than any other 2nd generation Pioneer Kuro.

Quote:

Mines also have the red tint in black areas

post #773 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:

I'm confused. You just purchased the 111FD and you actually know you are affected by a red idle luminance which, btw, very few in this thread actually have? Risks be damned?

I bet what you are seeing is no more than the normal illumination of your display's filter due to poor low end grayscale tracking and the filter itself.... which BTW is much more red/purple on the 111FD than any other 2nd generation Pioneer Kuro.

I purchased it used and couldnt see the tint when i bought it. only time its noticed is in a dark room its very visible. I t also has never been calibrated.
post #774 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

And I still think what you are seeing is normal. If you want to pay someone to come and play with your display's SM, by all means do it. Its your display. Beware of the consequences when done wrong and/or doing it when not needed.

Quote:

I purchased it used and couldnt see the tint when i bought it. only time its noticed is in a dark room its very visible. I t also has never been calibrated.

post #775 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:

And I still think what you are seeing is normal. If you want to pay someone to come and play with your display's SM, by all means do it. Its your display. Beware of the consequences when done wrong and/or doing it when not needed.

I think il just leave it alone it still produces better picture than my 50gt30.
post #776 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

D-Nice,
Out of curiosity, would (re)calibration help alleviate the issue somewhat? I understand that some red tint is a given on affected sets, just wondering if it could be tamed a little bit.

Thanks.
post #777 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Calibrating the lower end of the grayscale can improve the glow and make it more neutral, but I will not eliminate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post

D-Nice,
Out of curiosity, would (re)calibration help alleviate the issue somewhat? I understand that some red tint is a given on affected sets, just wondering if it could be tamed a little bit.

Thanks.

post #778 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, the only setting I have different from stock values now is VOLYNOFSA D which is raised by 20. My values for the voltage section (about 8 of them I think including VOLYNOFSA D) are the same as stated in the service manual under section 8.4, adjustment when screen is replaced. Your best bet is to write down what yours are currently as they don't change even though there is constant adjustment happening behind the scenes.

Honestly though, if I put my VOLYKNOFSA D back to stock level I have very very slight black crush. If I hadn't done the reset then I would be showing red tint at those values.

To my knowledge the only way to reduce the red tint is by lowering VOLRST P (similarly raising it increases red tint), but in many cases there is not enough scope to do this and red tint remains.

Honestly I would do the reset and then tune the values. This TV is like a musical instrument when it comes to adjustment.

Increasing VOLYKNOFSA D can affect the end result of the MLL.
This will also remove the lagging if your set experiences trailings after reset.
Increasing this value might re-introduce some tint on 0 IRE.

However, VOLYKNOFSA D is not the only adjustment that can remove black crushing and the trailing effects. I would change VOLYKNOFSA D as last resort.

There are 3 other adjustments that can improve the overall response without affecting MLL and improves or eliminates the trailing (Green on my set) colour when going from normal picture to black.
post #779 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Anyone have a surefire way to get rid of purple sparkles ?

HTPC/Gaming Rig:
Silverstone CW02B, I7 3930K, 16GB, ASUS Rampage IV Formula
EVGA Signature Titan> 70 inch ELITE PRO-70X5FD
Auzen HDMI XFi> 7.2 via Marantz AV8801>Wyred4Sound, & Emotiva Amps>Paradigm 100'sV5, ADP590'sV5, 690v5, 20v5's, + Dual HSU-ULS15 Subs

Controlling: Two CX7000ES's via MyMovies
post #780 of 2680 Old 03-14-2012, 09:35 PM

Lay off the acid?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page