Official Pioneer Kuro Reddish Tint Problem Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Does your Kuro have a reddish tint to the blacks?
KRP-500M/KRP-600M - NO 10 15.63%
5020FD/6020FD - NO 4 6.25%
111FD/151FD - NO 7 10.94%
101FD/141FD - NO 6 9.38%
Other/Older Model (please post) - NO 5 7.81%
KRP-500M/KRP-600M - YES 15 23.44%
5020FD/6020FD - YES 10 15.63%
111FD/151FD - YES 5 7.81%
101FD/141FD - YES 3 4.69%
Other/Older Model (please post) - YES 1 1.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanBuck View Post
So what we have here is a milder case of the Panasonic rising blacks issue...but with a red tint thrown in. I have control-cal. Wonder if I can use that to reset the panel? Or can one use the factory remote to do all this?
I haven't tested this approach, but it looks like the clearing options are available under the etc+ node of the service menu.

See attached page, you can see Hour Meter and Pulse Meter (CHM and CPM) listed along side the equivalent RS232 commands.

Clearing in factory.pdf 23.97265625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Clearing in factory.pdf (24.0 KB, 67 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroud View Post

I haven't tested this approach, but it looks like the clearing options are available under the etc+ node of the service menu.

See attached page, you can see Hour Meter and Pulse Meter (CHM and CPM) listed along side the equivalent RS232 commands.

Do you mean you can access these with the regular remote control or Control-Cal?
post #183 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Do you mean you can access these with the regular remote control or Control-Cal?

You will need to get into factory mode first (either RS232 or service remote) then all commands are possible using the standard remote.

There is no way to get into factory mode with the standard remote. Maybe someone else can advise on Control-Cal?
post #184 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Its amazing that theres a fix for this. I don't have any red tint problems with my 151 but since its caused by aging is everyone with a kuro going to experience this?

D-nice if your reading this, what do think about this fix?

home theater addict
post #185 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Its amazing that theres a fix for this. I don't have any red tint problems with my 151 but since its caused by aging is everyone with a kuro going to experience this?

D-nice if your reading this, what do think about this fix?

yes..would be nice if D-nice would comment on this. I am going to watch this forum for a while before I try anything..lol It would be awesome to be able to watch the set in a dark room and not be pissed about the red glow to black though!
post #186 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Alan, why don't you call pioneer? I thought they are taking care of the problem regardless of warranty?

home theater addict
post #187 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Alan, why don't you call pioneer? I thought they are taking care of the problem regardless of warranty?

I may give that a try..I am not the original owner though.
post #188 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1forsnow View Post

ok thanks. mine is a krp-500m. i think my issue is the VOL RST P, but im not sure what my value is near. yours is at 023, but mascior is at 108. thats a big difference. i followed your procedures, but getting pink sparkles now. i know those values should not have changed, but im not sure why i have these sparkles now. thanks again for your help

Did you manage to cure the sparkles in the end? I think mascior wrote 108 by mistake and it should read 018.
post #189 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What number are we shooting for on the VOL RST P if we get the pink sparkles? I really want to try this myself but want to get a little more info before I proceed. Thanks
post #190 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440forpower View Post

What number are we shooting for on the VOL RST P if we get the pink sparkles? I really want to try this myself but want to get a little more info before I proceed. Thanks

I haven't tried this but I think you need to raise the VOL RST P until the sparkles disappear. Do it step by step though, in very small increments.

mascior has VOL SUS 128 and VOL RST P 018. I have VOL SUS 128 and VOL RST P 023.
post #191 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks can't wait to give this a try.
post #192 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 03:23 PM

I checked the black level (visual only) in a totally dark room before going to bed. Black is BLACK. A very very slight glow... but definitely darker than what I had previously. My Kuro's MLL measured 0.003 before resetting the two counters and did notice it was darkish grey (mine did not have red tint... but noticed it wasn't as black as it use to be).

I will confirm tonight when I use the D3 PRO and check the black level.
I reckon the D3 PRO will struggle. BLACK LEVEL has definitely droppped in value.

No sparkles on mine, everything looks A+ OK!

Extremely happy KURO owner! Woooo Hoooo!
post #193 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:

you guys seem to be lucky......Pioneer UK are not dealing with the issue,hopefully now with this fix i can get my black level back with no red!
post #194 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:

So what we have here is a milder case of the Panasonic rising blacks issue...but with a red tint thrown in. I have control-cal. Wonder if I can use that to reset the panel? Or can one use the factory remote to do all this? I sure don't want to tackle fixing a subtle problem and end up with a big mess unless I know exactly what I am doing! lol

If you have ControlCal, then it is just as easy to use the Hyperterminal to send the AT commands. Stroud has put an instruction here and note that the USB serial will only work on COM1 and also set the ASCII Setup with a TICK on the "Echo type characters locally".

To confirm, on standby type PON and Enter and the TV should turn ON.

COM 1 Settings:
Baud: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Partiy: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

ASCII Setup: Make sure to TICK "Echo tupe characters locally"
This option can be accessed by clicking - File/Properties/Settings

I really think my black levels have shifted slightly over the time I've had the Kuro set. What got me interested in this thread was that my MLL measured 0.003 using the D3 PRO colourimeter. I was disappointed with this! Fortunately on my set, I did not have the RED tint but a darkish grey glow.

The reset has resulted in a BLACK screen with a black video input. Will be checking black level, gray scale and gamma tracking to see if the reset has put the previous ISF settings out of whack.

Will update soon! Currently at work suffering from Mondayitis!
post #195 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrodoob View Post

I checked the black level (visual only) in a totally dark room before going to bed. Black is BLACK. A very very slight glow... but definitely darker than what I had previously. My Kuro's MLL measured 0.003 before resetting the two counters and did notice it was darkish grey (mine did not have red tint... but noticed it wasn't as black as it use to be).

I will confirm tonight when I use the D3 PRO and check the black level.
I reckon the D3 PRO will struggle. BLACK LEVEL has definitely droppped in value.

No sparkles on mine, everything looks A+ OK!

Extremely happy KURO owner! Woooo Hoooo!

Does this mean the kuro does exactly what panasonic plasmas do? I haven't noticed any black level rising yet on my 151 but at least i'll be able to fix it.

Don't know how many hours my kuro has but i did buy it july 2009 so it has to at least be over 4000.

home theater addict
post #196 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 05:01 PM

I will confirm tonight what the MLL is on my Kuro. Visually, the screen is BLACK and grayish screen is gone. I am sure the D3 Pro will have problems measuring the MLL on the TV as it is after the 2 reset was performed.

It seems my set's black level has drifted and perhaps RGB drifted equally on my set. Some or most have probably had the RED component drifting more than the Green/Blue showing the dominant red tint on a black input signal.

My previous grayscale at 10IRE showed that RGB was even, hence... I could not detect any colour cast on dark gray/black picture. Infact RGB and Gamma tracking is pretty good on my set. <4000 Hrs.

So long as the rising black or red tint can be corrected, it is all good news!
post #197 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 05:20 PM

Thanks stroud! I was having this issue but your method has fixed it!
post #198 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Liked: 11
stroud,

does your computer have a serial port or did you have to use a usb adapter? I'm just curious because I cant get my computer to communicate with the tv. I'm using windows xp with hyperterminal and followed everything. I think its my usb adapter that is causing the problem.
post #199 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

You can erase all the logs it's like 5 different ones and turns out by erasing them I got my inky blacks back no red tint.

Quote:

Step 2.

1. Make sure your TV is in stand by (red light on front).
2. Type PON and press Enter (TV should turn on).
3. Type FAY and press Enter (Enter Factory Mode).
4. Type CPM and press Enter (Clear pulse meter).
5. Type CHM and press Enter (Clear Hour meter).
6. Type POF and press Enter (turn TV off).
7. Unplug TV for 15 seconds or so.

So how many logs need to be cleared? Mascior originally said there were like 5 but then Stroud just posted 2 logs to clear (CPM, CHM). I am also wondering if the CHM is what gets reset when the ControlCal patch is applied or KuroControl is used to unlock ISF modes because when these two methods are used, the hours of the panel are reset. If this is the same log then it seems than it is only the CPM reset that is affecting the red tint.

So is everyone just going into the service menu/factory mode themselves and trying to do this or are you going to try and get a Pioneer tech to come out and do this? I didn't know how familiar everyone is with the service menu. I have never messed with it before and am nervous I would screw something up or get the sparklies and wouldn't know exactly how to adjust the voltages (what voltage values).

I look forward to hearing everyone else's experience with this and hopefully further details and success stories.
post #200 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastshasdow View Post

stroud,

does your computer have a serial port or did you have to use a usb adapter? I'm just curious because I cant get my computer to communicate with the tv. I'm using windows xp with hyperterminal and followed everything. I think its my usb adapter that is causing the problem.

Did you try different comm ports when using hyper terminal? On my computer, I have comm 3, 11 and 12 listed when using hyper terminal. I haven't hooked it up to my tv yet, so perhaps it will also display comm1 when I do. I am going to use a usb adaptor too, and will wait and see how this all pans out before I jump in. I don't have the red tint, but do have a grey tint, so no big hurry just yet. Picture is still impressive.
post #201 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:42 PM

Yes I have tried different com ports. No luck. Let me know if your successful and how you managed to do it. Btw, what brand is your usb adapter?
post #202 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastshasdow View Post

Yes I have tried different com ports. No luck. Let me know if your successful and how you managed to do it. Btw, what brand is your usb adapter?

I just have a generic brand I bought off ebay. I have yet to attempt, until more people have tried it. Still waiting to learn if this will fix the 5020 Kuro before I possibly mess up my tv!
post #203 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I have yet to attempt, until more people have tried it. Still waiting to learn if this will fix the 5020 Kuro before I possibly mess up my tv!

Ya I am wanting to wait until more people have tried it. I have a 500M and I wonder if everything will be the same on different models and since the directions Stroud posted were for a Euro version.
post #204 of 2745 Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I don't have the red tint, but do have a grey tint, so no big hurry just yet. Picture is still impressive.

Originally mine was like yours... a grey tint. Did the reset, everything went back to black.

Mine is an LX609A.

It definitely has cured my grey tint issue!
post #205 of 2745 Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac13 View Post

Ya I am wanting to wait until more people have tried it. I have a 500M and I wonder if everything will be the same on different models and since the directions Stroud posted were for a Euro version.

I have been working through the service manuals and the procedure is exactly the same for all 9G models. The only slight difference are the tentative voltage setting values but I will describe these later.

I was only confident trying this fix as it is exactly the same procedure used by Pioneer service engineers when servicing the panel.

I can break it down like this. The reason the screens go grey / red is because various corrections are made by the TV (referring to the pulse-meter count) to calculate how long the panel has been used for. My method resets these corrections basically fooling the TV into thinking it has a brand new panel again. Remember that the panel is not brand new so some adjustment maybe required after the clearing procedure. I would be interested to know if it is only people using calibrated settings who have had the red tint over time?

The section below is common to ALL 9G Kuros and is straight from the service manual.

8.4 ADJUSTMENT WHEN THE SERVICE PANEL ASSY IS REPLACED

After the panel is replaced with one for service, voltage margin adjustment is required.

Basically, voltage margin adjustment is performed using the Panel Factory menu.
After the panel is replaced and the unit is turned on, clear the pulse meter first.
For details on how to clear the pulse meter, see "8.3 HOW TO CLEAR HISTORY DATA".

∗1: As various corrections are made referring to the pulse-meter count to calculate how long the panel has been used, if adjustment of the panel for service is performed without clearing the pulse-meter count, proper adjustments will not be performed.

∗2: The drive sequence for Video 60-Hz is used for adjustment. When adjustment is made using the Panel Factory menu, the current drive sequence is displayed on the screen, as shown in the figure below. Make sure that 60VS is always indicated during adjustment.

Procedures for resetting corrections for change over time:

Turn the unit on. / [PON]
Enter Factory mode. / [FAY]
Set PM/B1-B5 to CLEAR (to clear the pulse meter). / [CPM]
Set HR-MTR to CLEAR (to clear the hour meter). / [CHM]
Turn the unit off. / [POF]

∗ To reflect the results of log clearing for each correction function,
the unit must be turned off then back on again. Before adjustment,
be sure to turn the unit off then back on again.

The next part of the section regards the tentative voltage settings. These do vary slightly depending on which model you have. Only change these using the remote and only if you have issues after clearing. These tentative settings are a safe default if you get stuck. Where it says "indication value", these are the values you already have so no need to change them.

Procedures for stabilizing the panel before adjustment:

For 5020FD / LX5090

Setting Item Tentative Setting Value
VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128
VOL OFFSET / [VOF ∗∗∗] VOF indication value
VOL RST P / [VRP ∗∗∗] VRP indication value
VOL XPOFS1 / [VX1 ∗∗∗] 085
VOL XPOFS2 / [VX2 ∗∗∗] 047
VOL YNOFS1 D / [V1F ∗∗∗] V1F indication value
VOL YNOFS3 D / [V3F ∗∗∗] V3F indication value +0
VOL YNOFS4 D / [V4F ∗∗∗] V4F indication value
VOL YNOFSA D / [VYF ∗∗∗] 128

For 101FD / 500M

VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128
VOL XPOFS2 / [VX2 ∗∗∗] 063

6020FD / LX6090 / 600M

VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128
VOL XPOFS1 / [VX1 ∗∗∗] 105

It is interesting that there is a difference between 5020/5090 and 500M in the VOL XPOFS2 value only, but this doesn't apply to the 60" TVs.

The most interesting value is VOL RST P which seems to concern black levels and is the one Pioneer themselves adjusted on mascior's TV. If you adjust to low you get sparkles (although I didn't), to high and the MLL or black luminence is raised and you can see the black turn to grey again. If you have an issue of too much black, raise VOL RST P but don't raise it too high or you will lose your inky blacks.

I personally don't think it is possible to brick the TV with voltage margin adjustments but I cannot guarantee this and you do it at your own risk. I have had VOL RST P down to 010 and up to 118 without issue.

I have set all my voltages to the tentative values apart from VOL RST P which I have raised to 062. The picture is now perfect and I tested it for 6 hours straight last night (Alien Anthology). No artefacts, no sparkles, no excess heat and bezel matching blacks
post #206 of 2745 Old 12-05-2011, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

I have been working through the service manuals and the procedure is exactly the same for all 9G models. The only slight difference are the tentative voltage setting values but I will describe these later.

I was only confident trying this fix as it is exactly the same procedure used by Pioneer service engineers when servicing the panel.

I can break it down like this. The reason the screens go grey / red is because various corrections are made by the TV (referring to the pulse-meter count) to calculate how long the panel has been used for. My method resets these corrections basically fooling the TV into thinking it has a brand new panel again. Remember that the panel is not brand new so some adjustment maybe required after the clearing procedure. I would be interested to know if it is only people using calibrated settings who have had the red tint over time?

The section below is common to ALL 9G Kuros and is straight from the service manual.

8.4 ADJUSTMENT WHEN THE SERVICE PANEL ASSY IS REPLACED

After the panel is replaced with one for service, voltage margin adjustment is required.

Basically, voltage margin adjustment is performed using the Panel Factory menu.
After the panel is replaced and the unit is turned on, clear the pulse meter first.
For details on how to clear the pulse meter, see "8.3 HOW TO CLEAR HISTORY DATA".

∗1: As various corrections are made referring to the pulse-meter count to calculate how long the panel has been used, if adjustment of the panel for service is performed without clearing the pulse-meter count, proper adjustments will not be performed.

∗2: The drive sequence for Video 60-Hz is used for adjustment. When adjustment is made using the Panel Factory menu, the current drive sequence is displayed on the screen, as shown in the figure below. Make sure that 60VS is always indicated during adjustment.

Procedures for resetting corrections for change over time:

Set PM/B1-B5 to CLEAR (to clear the pulse meter). / [CPM]
Set HR-MTR to CLEAR (to clear the hour meter). / [CHM]
Turn the unit off. / [POF]

∗ To reflect the results of log clearing for each correction function,
the unit must be turned off then back on again. Before adjustment,
be sure to turn the unit off then back on again.

The next part of the section regards the tentative voltage settings. These do vary slightly depending on which model you have. Only change these using the remote and only if you have issues after clearing. These tentative settings are a safe default if you get stuck. Where it says "indication value", these are the values you already have so no need to change them.

Procedures for stabilizing the panel before adjustment:

For 5020FD / LX5090

VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128
VOL XPOFS2 / [VX2 ∗∗∗] 047

For 101FD / 500M

VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128

6020FD / LX6090 / 600M

VOL SUS / [VSU ∗∗∗] 128
VOL XPOFS1 / [VX1 ∗∗∗] 105

It is interesting that there is a difference between 5020/5090 and 500M in the VOL XPOFS2 value only, but this doesn't apply to the 60" TVs.

The most interesting value is VOL RST P which seems to concern black levels and is the one Pioneer themselves adjusted on mascior's TV. If you adjust to low you get sparkles (although I didn't), to high and the MLL or black luminence is raised and you can see the black turn to grey again. If you have an issue of too much black, raise VOL RST P but don't raise it too high or you will lose your inky blacks.

I personally don't think it is possible to brick the TV with these voltage margin adjustments but I will not guarantee this and you do it at your own risk. I have had VOL RST P down to 010 and up to 118 without issue.

I have set all my voltages to the tentative values apart from VOL RST P which I have raised to 062. The picture is now perfect and I tested it for 6 hours straight last night (Alien Anthology). No artefacts, no sparkles, no excess heat and bezel matching blacks

Stroud,

I was able to tweek sum adjustments...I played with VOL RST P and dropped it to zero, WOW talk about black but it caused sparkles. After talking to a Pioneer engineer last week he said adjusting VOL SUS up a bit would cure sparkles as well. So now my VOL SUS is 198, VOL RST P is 018, and I adjusted my FS1, 3, & 4 D voltages up 20 clicks each. Now I have really deep blacks(Bezel blending) and no sparkles. I will keep testing.
post #207 of 2745 Old 12-05-2011, 06:40 AM

I have the 111FD, can the red tint problem be fixed with a software update or is this only repairable through the service menu?
post #208 of 2745 Old 12-05-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mascior View Post

Stroud,

I was able to tweek sum adjustments...I played with VOL RST P and dropped it to zero, WOW talk about black but it caused sparkles. After talking to a Pioneer engineer last week he said adjusting VOL SUS up a bit would cure sparkles as well. So now my VOL SUS is 198, VOL RST P is 018, and I adjusted my FS1, 3, & 4 D voltages up 20 clicks each. Now I have really deep blacks(Bezel blending) and no sparkles. I will keep testing.

Nice to hear from you mascior, I too dropped VOL RST P right down but I had an issue with too much black. It was very black!!!

The issue I found is that the black would persist on screen a little too long if I brought up a menu or OSD. It would kind of melt away but only if black had been on screen for some time (movie bars for example). Raising the VOL RST P cured this completely.

Interesting about the other settings you have changed, I have kind of stuck to the tentative ones for now because I am more than happy with the picture, best it has ever been but expect my curiosity will get the better of me soon.

Interesting about FS1, 3, & 4 D as these settings are interlinked on the FSA D setting. I imagine this also changed?

From the service manual:

For the 9th-generation PDPs, interlocked setting for
Voltages Vyknofs1/3/4 is available on the Factory menu or
with RS232C commands, for easier adjustment. Therefore,
in the adjustment flowchart, the interlocked setting function
is used. (Individual setting for each adjustment value is
also possible, as in the conventional setting methods.

Vyknofs1,3,4 interlocked - VOL YNOFSA D - [VYF]
post #209 of 2745 Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

Nice to hear from you mascior, I too dropped VOL RST P right down but I had an issue with too much black. It was very black!!!

The issue I found is that the black would persist on screen a little too long if I brought up a menu or OSD. It would kind of melt away but only if black had been on screen for some time (movie bars for example). Raising the VOL RST P cured this completely.

Interesting about the other settings you have changed, I have kind of stuck to the tentative ones for now because I am more than happy with the picture, best it has ever been but expect my curiosity will get the better of me soon.

Interesting about FS1, 3, & 4 D as these settings are interlinked on the FSA D setting. I imagine this also changed?

From the service manual:

For the 9th-generation PDPs, interlocked setting for
Voltages Vyknofs1/3/4 is available on the Factory menu or
with RS232C commands, for easier adjustment. Therefore,
in the adjustment flowchart, the interlocked setting function
is used. (Individual setting for each adjustment value is
also possible, as in the conventional setting methods.

Vyknofs1,3,4 interlocked - VOL YNOFSA D - [VYF]

Yeah, I read that. I just changed those 3 voltages but my VOL YNOFSA D still stayed at a factory value 128. If you raise that value to high by its self my blacks went back to a red tint. If you raise RST P to high you get greyish blacks. so many combos...lol.
post #210 of 2745 Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I second ragingd's question about the 111FD. Do we have any information concerning whether the download (if it is done that way) will be eventually posted on the Pioneer site or will we have to go through a technician?

I am going to drop my Pioneer contact person an e-mail and see if he has any information.

I hope the fix is as easy as a quick software fix.....that would be fantastic...at least for the next 7000 hours!

P.E.Hannon
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Pioneer Pdp 5020fd 50 Inch 1080p Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page