Noticeable difference between low-end LG plasma and more expensive Sony LED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a cheap Plasma TV (LG PT350 50", 720p), but it's still in the return period, and I have an opportunity to purchase a much more expensive LED TV (Sony KDL55EX620 55" 1080p) for a reduced price that would make it only $250 than I paid for the plasma (which I could then return for a full refund).

I'm wondering if I'll notice a big difference in picture quality between these two sets? From what I've read, plasma units have better black levels and maybe picture quality in general, but is this the case even comparing a low-end plasma to a medium-end(?) LED set that also has higher resolution?

Any thoughts or other things to consider would be very much appreciated!

I'm already less than enthused with the temporary image persistence on the plasma, and at our viewing distance of around 6-8 feet, I can make out pixels more easily than I'd like, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money, or whether these would still be issues at this distance with the larger LED unit, or if there would be other drawbacks compared to the plasma.

To be clear, I'm a newbie so some of my assumptions may be off base. Corrections are appreciated.

(Cross-posted in the LCD forum. Mods, if this isn't allowed, please delete one or the other thread.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I would never even start to compare those 2 sets. You didnt buy a very high level plasma so it cant compare. The reason is, those 720 models dont get all the features that the newer 1080 models get. Yes plasma has a great picture and good black, but there is still a hierarchy. If you are good with the picture on the LG then keep it and save the money. Otherwise, what I would recommend returning it for would not be a sony.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page