Installed 64 inch plasma yesterday, and now cable box unresponsive?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night, we wall mounted a brand new Samsung pn64d550. This new 64 inch plasma replaces a 2007 model Samsung plasma 50 inch.

Installation was smooth. Picture quality fantastic. However, BIG problem: When the TV is turned ON, the Time Warner DVR (Motorola DCX-3400) is unresponsive from the remote control's inputs. Channels will not change, guide does not work, etc. However, when the TV is turned OFF, the remote control functions the cable box perfectly.

I've used the search tool on this board and found that some older model LCD and plasmas had a tendency to emit noisy IR signals, and therefore "confused" some components in the room, such as cable boxes. As such, some components would not recognize the commands of its remote control. Not heard about these problems on newer models, such as mine.

I contacted both Samsung and Time Warner today. Surprise surprise, each company blames it on the other's shortcomings.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Is my TV bad, or is the DVR's IR sensor so weak that it cannot differentiate between the brightness in the room (from the TV) and the remote control's inputs? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Does everything work fine when using buttons on the time warner box?
post #3 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 04:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shant View Post

Last night, we wall mounted a brand new Samsung pn64d550. This new 64 inch plasma replaces a 2007 model Samsung plasma 50 inch.

Installation was smooth. Picture quality fantastic. However, BIG problem: When the TV is turned ON, the Time Warner DVR (Motorola DCX-3400) is unresponsive from the remote control's inputs. Channels will not change, guide does not work, etc. However, when the TV is turned OFF, the remote control functions the cable box perfectly.

I've used the search tool on this board and found that some older model LCD and plasmas had a tendency to emit noisy IR signals, and therefore "confused" some components in the room, such as cable boxes. As such, some components would not recognize the commands of its remote control. Not heard about these problems on newer models, such as mine.

I contacted both Samsung and Time Warner today. Surprise surprise, each company blames it on the other's shortcomings.

Any thoughts on how to proceed? Is my TV bad, or is the DVR's IR sensor so weak that it cannot differentiate between the brightness in the room (from the TV) and the remote control's inputs? Thanks.

Not sure if my situation is exactly like yours, but it is similar. I had a Panasonic whose 3D emitter was producing a strong IR signal which interfered with my Onkyo reciever's IR signal. When the TV was in 3D mode, the Onkyo receiver was unresponsive to the signal from its remote. I tried pieces of 35mm film and other filters being placed over the IR emitter on the Panasonic. It solved the problem with the Onkyo IR, but then the glasses wouldn't stay synced with the plasma. I solved the problem by putting a piece of black electrical tape over part of the IR emitter on the Onkyo. I got the right position the first time. The 3D glasses worked and the Onkyo receiver remote functioned fine. Try to block enough of the IR emitter on the cable box so it doesn't pick up the strong signal from the Samsung.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
If possible I would move the cable box to another location.. You would be surprised how a foot or so can make a difference. If the TV remote has the option for catv box programing I would try to use the TV's remote and not the cable boxes. But moving the cable box should do the trick.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Kidhorn: The answer is Yes, everything works find when using the actual buttons on the DVR.

Thanks others for responses.

Significantly, I also noticed that when the TV setting to convert 2d--> 3d is turned ON, my controls for AppleTV are very sluggish.

I tried putting some tape over the DVR's sensor and viola, it the remote controls for both DVR and AppleTV work perfectly.

Still, my concern at this point is more of an issue with the build of the TV. I am well within the return window to bring back the TV for a replacement/exchange. What bothers me is all the infrared signals that this TV is emitting in the room, powerful and "noisy" enough to alter the performance of other components in the room!? I don't like it one bit.

My options: 1) I could return the TV for an exact exchange and hope the new TV will be better "shielded". Maybe the one I have is a lemon. Or, 2) I return it for a completely different set. Maybe the Panasonic this time.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Any ideas?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2011, 05:22 PM

I don't think returning the TV will solve the problem. The problem is using IR for transmitting the 3d sync signals. Most equipment was a receiver of IR. Except of course IR blasters. Now its receive and send. Not a good situation.

I have a Panasonic 3d GT25 it sends out IR which causes my Niles IR receiver to blink indicating it has received an IR signal. Nothing in my equipment room recognizes the TV's IR signal.

Relocating or shielding is about all that can be done.
post #8 of 8 Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 PM

I have this exact problem, Panasonic Plasma/Motorola TW Box. Please describe the 'tape' shielding more, is this a fix or diagnostic?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page