Which 50" to buy? Panasonic TC-P50S30 vs LG 50PV450? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which 50" 1080p TV Should I Buy for under $900?
Panasonic PC-P50S30 0 0%
LG 50PV450 0 0%
Other (Please specify in your post) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my old 42" 720p Panasonic TH-42PE7U with a new 50" 1080p set and I think I've narrowed it down to the following two options:

Panasonic TC-P50S30
(regular $899.99)

LG 50PV450
(regular $799.98)

I normally would have gone for the Panasonic since I have been very happy with my current Panasonic and I believe Panasonic are known for making good quality units. However, a few things I've read online about the TC-P50S30 worry me.
  • Varying brightness issue
  • 900 lines of moving resolution (vs 1080 for the LG)

One of the reviews on the Future Shop site mentions a varying brightness issue affecting the Panasonic TC-P50S30:

Quote:

Warranty Issues
Ron, Delta, bc - August 14, 2011
Customer Rating:
1.0 /5
This set and it's companion 42 & 60" models have an annoying varying brightness issue. Panasonic in the US is sending out a Technician to update the firmware inside the units. HOWEVER, The Canadian Panasonic ( Conceirge ) is refusing to acknowledge the problem....saying it is 'normal'. If you own one, pester the heck out of Panasonic Canada.....if you are contemplating buying one, consider another manufacturer's offerings.

I did some Googling and found this CNET article that talks about it in regards to 2009 and 2010 models.

Then I found this more recent 2011 CNET article that seems to indicate that the 2011 models are better.

Is the TC-P50S30 a 2011 model?

Also, this review from Plasma TV Buying Guide gives the TC-P50S30 a pretty good rating and doesn't mention any varying brightness concerns.

I couldn't really find any reviews for the LG 50PV450 online except for users reviews on retail sites. So that kind of worries me. All of the user reviews seemed to be positive though. However, the 2010 LG models all get pretty low reviews on the Plasma TV Buying Guide site.

Finally, I'm not sure what to make of the 900 lines of moving resolution on the Panasonic vs. 1080 on the LG. I assume the more lines the better. How can the Panasonic only have 900 lines if it's a 1080p display?

Does anyone out there have either of these sets and care to comment? Any Panasonic owners notice the varying brightness problem?

Thanks much for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-16-2011, 10:47 PM

I assume the s30 has a fix for the fluctuating brightness issue because I know the other 2011 mdoels do (starting some time in August, I think)/
post #3 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 05:06 PM

hi, I want to ask almost same thing.
I bought samsung 51 inch d450 and it has huge FBrightness issues, it's unbearable for me.
I want to switch it for something else, but I don't know which set doesn't have this "nice feature"
I'm between LG 50PV450, [I can consider hd ready set 350 as well]
panny p50u30 (there is no s30 50inches in our country)

btw samsung d450 is really good tv, it's shame it has fb problem
post #4 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
IMO, the ST30 is better than any of the above choices.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 07:04 PM

just returned my LG 50PV450 after 3 weeks. very dissapointed. i really wanted to like this set. nice features, pleasing to look at. the FBL was bad , but the color management was worse. backrounds that looked like someone poured paint in a pool. baseballs that were yellow in one shot blue in the next. had to go.
replaced it with a panny 50gt30 . much better set plus 3D to boot. few more cheeta"s than what your spending. so far it's been on 2days and the picture is much improved. blows the Lg out no problem. not really brand loyal either. i looked at the sammy but to much money for what was offered.

I LIKE IT LOUD!!!

post #6 of 9 Old 10-17-2011, 07:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by big thunder View Post

just returned my LG 50PV450 after 3 weeks. very dissapointed. i really wanted to like this set. nice features, pleasing to look at. the FBL was bad , but the color management was worse. backrounds that looked like someone poured paint in a pool. baseballs that were yellow in one shot blue in the next. had to go.
replaced it with a panny 50gt30 . much better set plus 3D to boot. few more cheeta"s than what your spending. so far it's been on 2days and the picture is much improved. blows the Lg out no problem. not really brand loyal either. i looked at the sammy but to much money for what was offered.

I just picked up 50PV450 (currently going through burn-in)... Did you try Blacknoir's settings?
What is FBL? (I'm sorry, but still learning)
post #7 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big thunder View Post

ok,thnx this erase LG from my list...
what about panny p50u30 ? FB or not ?
post #8 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

IMO, the ST30 is better than any of the above choices.

Thanks, but from what I have read, the ST30 definitely has the fluctuating brightness issue. US customers are reporting that they have to have a board replaced inside the TV by a Panasonic tech in order to fix the problem. Apparently Panasonic Canada is not doing that for Canadian customers, we just have to live with it. The ST30 is also at least $200 more than the S30. Also, I don't need 3D I am trying to stay within budget as this is just for the upstairs living room. We are finishing the basement with a projector and screen so this panel will be used only once in a while upstairs after that. I don't want to spend a lot on it.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM

from my readings most of the major players plasmas are suffering from some sort of these conditions. from what i understand panny is the only one to step up with a repair/patch to address the issue. just a simple 5 minute board swap. so far my early build panel has not shown any issues...... yet! and i have been watching for it. break in is done and i'll run some test patterns this weekend when my friend brings his sencore stuff over.

as for not wanting 3D thats fine. if you do alittle more research you'll find that even though you may never use this feature you will still have a 2D panel that has better 2D PQ than any straight 2D set.

I LIKE IT LOUD!!!

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 50pv450 Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50s30 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv 50pv450c
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page