Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1088 Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc View Post

Thanks dherrick. Interesting that you got that prompt since that hasn't happened to me yet.

When I check via the tv to see if there's an update it says there is (2.200 I think) yet when I got on to Panasonic's site I don't see it. do you have a link?

tia

Here is the link to ver 2.200

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_na1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1088 Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

My GT settings do not tell you to change your G Drive setting to 0. My GT settings are offsets not absolute values. -6 means to reduce whatever your R Drive value is by six.

Guys please make sure you fully understand how to input my settings before attempting to do so.

Just completed 100 hour slide breakin, moving on to second step, I will be using your settings for my Eprom updated MJ VT30.
I realize I will be making these changes in the user menu, and want to be sure that each number I enter will be as it appears, for example,10 point W/B 10W/B R:-5, I will enter it as -5 and not as a reduction of a given number, or am I misunderstanding this?

Mark C. (mapesaudio)

Mark C.
post #273 of 1088 Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapesaudio View Post

Just completed 100 hour slide breakin, moving on to second step, I will be using your settings for my Eprom updated MJ VT30.
I realize I will be making these changes in the user menu, and want to be sure that each number I enter will be as it appears, for example,10 point W/B 10W/B R:-5, I will enter it as -5 and not as a reduction of a given number, or am I misunderstanding this?

For the VT30, all settings start at 0, so moving to +5 or -5 is very easy. There are a lot of settings to change! It took me about 30 minutes to make all the changes for all 4 HDMI inputs (I obviously spent more time on the 1st HDMI input than the others, figuring it all out, since they are not in the same order in the menu as listed in p. 1 of this thread).
post #274 of 1088 Old 12-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post

For the VT30, all settings start at 0, so moving to +5 or -5 is very easy. There are a lot of settings to change! It took me about 30 minutes to make all the changes for all 4 HDMI inputs (I obviously spent more time on the 1st HDMI input than the others, figuring it all out, since they are not in the same order in the menu as listed in p. 1 of this thread).

Thank you. I didn't realize that they are in a different order, thanks again for the heads up.

mapesaudio

Mark C.
post #275 of 1088 Old 12-13-2011, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey everybody, just ordered my 55VT30 and had a couple questions about the slides, break-in etc.

when i plug in the usb drive containing the slides, will they appear on screen and start playing automatically or will i have to choose the usb input and locate a setting to play a slideshow?

more importantly, do i need to change any settings or make any adjustments or choose any certain modes BEFORE playing the slides or just play the slides in the default mode?

after playing the slides, it appears the settings are based on eprom or non-eprom. i dont know what that is and how will i know which to use?

thanks
post #276 of 1088 Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
tcc

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dherrick View Post

Here is the link to ver 2.200

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_na1.html

Thanks. I was able to update it via ethernet using powerline devices

Quote:

.......*edit* ok, another question Being a noob and not wanting to fubar the TV, how do I go about adjusting the w/b, gamma, and cms once I get into the service menu?

tia

Anyone??
post #277 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

tcc, in all honesty, if you don't know what you are doing in the SM, don't go there. You can very easily ruin your display. I love that on the ST30 and VT30, you don't have to go into the SM.
post #278 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM
tcc

Quote:

tcc, in all honesty, if you don't know what you are doing in the SM, don't go there. You can very easily ruin your display. I love that on the ST30 and VT30, you don't have to go into the SM.

Fair enough but I would just like to know how to navigate to the different sections as mentioned in the SM.

So there is no need to go into the SM to input D-Nice's values after running the slides? If so I cannot find the w/b, gamma, and cms settings as outlined.
post #279 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshock View Post

D-Nice... Any way we could get you to calibrate an ST30 on Mid Panel Brightness to the best of your ability?

And yes, I already know it won't be as accurate as your existing settings... But I'll try anything to get my 60ST30 brighter... it's just soooo daarrrrkkk..

But I guarantee dozens from this board would really, really appreciate it! And others at HDJ, and lurkers around the world...

+1 - The settings are great but it is too darn dark
post #280 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Fair enough but I would just like to know how to navigate to the different sections as mentioned in the SM.

So there is no need to go into the SM to input D-Nice's values after running the slides? If so I cannot find the w/b, gamma, and cms settings as outlined.

With the ST30 and VT30, yes, you can input all of D-Nice's settings in the User Menu (including Pro settings) in Custom mode, without going into the SM. For the GT30, you need to go into the SM.
post #281 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 592
To calibrate the ST30's Cinema mode's grayscale, individual color points, and gamma, are there service menu controls for those?

post #282 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

To calibrate the ST30's Cinema mode's grayscale, individual color points, and gamma, are there service menu controls for those?

im quite sure you can adjust those settings in the SM.
post #283 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

SM controls only for the grayscale.

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #284 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymac51 View Post

SM controls only for the grayscale.

Interesting. I've seen mixed reports on Custom mode for calibration. Any preference with this vs Cinema mode?

post #285 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Help, anyone!

Just started to set up my VT30 after breakin slides. I'm thoroughly confused. Do I need to go into the SM for some of these settings, (dnice mj updated VT), because I don't see the 10 point Gamma adj.,or the 10pt. W/B adjustments. Not in my owners manual either. I was able to do CMS except it's caled color detail adjustment.Advance picture I could do, but the 3:2 pull down is grayed out...I set Gamma 2.2 Blk xten.Agc, etc. But didn't see the above mentioned settings. Is this in the Service Menu? Please help!!

Mapesaudio

Mark C.
post #286 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, not in the SM, but in the Pro settings (one of the options in the regular User Menu). You have to put in the settings, in Custom mode, for each HDMI input you use (I needed to do it for all 4 HDMI inputs).
post #287 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:

No, not in the SM, but in the Pro settings (one of the options in the regular User Menu). You have to put in the settings, in Custom mode, for each HDMI input you use (I needed to do it for all 4 HDMI inputs).

I understand it's in the pro settings, the 10 point gamma and the 10 point W/B are not showing up, I was wondering if there is something I have to activate to make that happen?

Mark C.
post #288 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I bought a TCP60GT30 about 2 weeks ago and have watched it for about 40 hours or so before stumbling across this thread.

Is it too late for me to use the break-in slides and settings now?

Thanks.
post #289 of 1088 Old 12-14-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Quote:

Interesting. I've seen mixed reports on Custom mode for calibration. Any preference with this vs Cinema mode?

so the SM for cinema is the same as custom in the user settings. if you look at D-Nice's cal report custom calibrates nicely. i think some of the reviews were trying to calibrate the ST in MID panel brightness and of course it is junk.
post #290 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 04:43 AM

download ST30 slide files. Unrar said corrupt?
post #291 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Can any of the calibrators discuss how the Panasonics and namely the ST30 drifts over time? What concerns me is, since there is no gamma control and CMS per se, that as the set drifts over time, it will be impossible to maintain as tight of a calibration as when the set is new. This happened on my SXRD as there was no way to control the drifting color points over time (although that display had other issues) and they never were as accurate as when I first bought the set. Perhaps Panasonics are pretty good at holding gamma and color points over time.

post #292 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Can any of the calibrators discuss how the Panasonics and namely the ST30 drifts over time? What concerns me is, since there is no gamma control and CMS per se, that as the set drifts over time, it will be impossible to maintain as tight of a calibration as when the set is new. This happened on my SXRD as there was no way to control the drifting color points over time (although that display had other issues) and they never were as accurate as when I first bought the set. Perhaps Panasonics are pretty good at holding gamma and color points over time.

CIE color points and gamma do not change on these panels. Only grayscale
post #293 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

CIE color points and gamma do not change on these panels. Only grayscale

Great. Thank you. I don't want to go down that SXRD path again. lol

post #294 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Posted this in the ST30 thread, but haven't heard back. Anyone here have any ideas?

I've noticed something odd the past couple of days, and after playing around, a way to fix it, but I'm not sure if there's a bigger problem.

A couple of days ago I noticed "static" on black screens that were included in the signal. By that I mean that it doesn't appear in the black bars of letterbox or 4:3. It's hard to describe but up close it looks like red moving pixels within the black. It spans the entire screen. At first I thought it was a handshake issue so I switched to a different HDMI cable, but it was still there. Next, I changed from the uverse box to the ps3 and started a blu ray. The static was still there. I paused the TV on a screen where it was noticeable and started playing with the settings (the static continues to "move" while it's paused). I found that the static is only visible on mid or high panel brightness. I also found that I can eliminate it by bumping up the black extension. At 4 it's visible, at 5 it disappears. I also tried changing all the various noise reduction settings, but none of those had any effect.

Does anyone know what this is? I'm at work and don't have my exact settings on hand, but this should be pretty close (WB might be +/- 1).

Picture Mode: Custom
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 55
Color: 47
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 0
Color Temp: Normal
Photo Enhancement: Off
C.A.T.S: Off
Video NR: Off

Pro Settings
Colorspace: Normal

W/B High R: +2
W/B High G: +4
W/B High B: +6
W/B Low R: +2
W/B Low G: +4
W/B Low B: -4

Black Extension: + 2
Gamma Adjustment: 2.4
Panel Brightness: Mid
Contour Emphasis: Off
AGC: 1

HDMI Settings
- all auto

Advance Picture
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Smoother: Off
Black Level: Light
3:2 PullDown: Auto
post #295 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM
tcc

Quote:

I understand it's in the pro settings, the 10 point gamma and the 10 point W/B are not showing up, I was wondering if there is something I have to activate to make that happen?

This is the same issue I'm having thus my comment on the SM.

When I go into the pro settings I don't see the 10 point w/b, gamma or CMS, there's only 3 each. Unless I have my system hooked up wrong since it is mentioned you have to do it for each hdmi input. I have all my hdmi sources going into a Denon AVR3312 and then outputting the hdmi from the rcvr to the vt30.
post #296 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

This is the same issue I'm having thus my comment on the SM.

When I go into the pro settings I don't see the 10 point w/b, gamma or CMS, there's only 3 each. Unless I have my system hooked up wrong since it is mentioned you have to do it for each hdmi input. I have all my hdmi sources going into a Denon AVR3312 and then outputting the hdmi from the rcvr to the vt30.

I now believe the 10IRE, then 20IRE, ad so on, with gain below it is the W/B gain/ Go to the gamma adjustment and you will see the same thing. Adjusted mine that way and it really looks great. I still used the Dnice settings....BRAVO, Dnice!!
Only difference I made was to run Gamma at 2.0 instead of 2.2.
Very little lighter blacks with allot more shadow detail. IMO.
Mapesaudio

Mark C.
post #297 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 03:17 PM
tcc

Quote:

now believe the 10IRE, then 20IRE, ad so on, with gan below it is the W/B gain/ Go to the gamma adjustment and you will see the same thing. adjusted mine that way and it really looks great. I still used the Dnice settings....BRAVO, Dnice!!

Ahhhhh, gotcha. Thanks, will try that out later
post #298 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

D-Nice,

Do the VT30, GT30, and ST30 in their calibrated 'optimal' picture modes offer equal resolution and detail? Also, any difference in phosphor lag? (talking 2D).

post #299 of 1088 Old 12-15-2011, 08:48 PM

50 inch st30 here and am trying out dnice's settings (btw thanks), and my daughter has been experiencing some eye strain fairly quickly. We will be experimenting with room lighting, and perhaps bias lighting, but I wanted to ask the question if any of the settings (contrast perhaps) might be relatively aggressive from this standpoint. 7 year old child sitting about 8 feet away without any problems (recently been to eye doctor) until this tv, though the tv is in a different room than before. Previously had a 42 inch edtv sitting 11 feet away.
post #300 of 1088 Old 12-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if going into the service menu on the GT series is something that voids the warranty or something that you should *really* know what you are doing before you go in? (Seems a tad unfair to penalize GT owners in this case. My opinion.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt30 65 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page