Official 2011 Panasonic Settings/Issues Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1088 Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so Sears will exchange my GT30 with a newer build GT30 that shouldn't have the Fbr issue.

Just to double check before I start using the TV:
Run the slide for at least 100 hrs?

Then adjust the settings?

I ask because I'm confused with this statement:
*****Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed below by aging all pixels equally with the same content. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

Also, D-Nice or anyone, do you have any settings for the Wii and XBOX360?

Once again, many thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1088 Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM

Hope someone can answer this question. I just ordered 55ST30 to be delivered next week

I plan to run the slides however have few questions.

1. Do I need to run them non stop or I can run them with breaks? Won't running continuously causing any heating issues?

2. Once slides are run, I see we change the Custom settings with value provided by DNice (Thanks DNice). Is that the one we use for all sources like Normal HD Cable, Blu Ray Disc, Gaming or we have multiple settings for various inputs?

Sorry about basic questions. This is my first HDTV and wanted to confirm before I screw up something
post #453 of 1088 Old 01-04-2012, 12:39 PM
gce

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by notep View Post

Hope someone can answer this question. I just ordered 55ST30 to be delivered next week

1. Do I need to run them non stop or I can run them with breaks? Won't running continuously causing any heating issues?

2. Once slides are run, I see we change the Custom settings with value provided by DNice (Thanks DNice). Is that the one we use for all sources like Normal HD Cable, Blu Ray Disc, Gaming or we have multiple settings for various inputs?

Sorry about basic questions. This is my first HDTV and wanted to confirm before I screw up something

Run the 100 hours non stop if you want. It won't overheat. With D-Nice's settings your HD and Blurays will look great, as for gaming I have no idea.
post #454 of 1088 Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:

yes - you can run them with breaks if you want as long as you don't watch other programming on those breaks
post #455 of 1088 Old 01-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2PlasmaTV View Post

Just to double check before I start using the TV:
Run the slide for at least 100 hrs?

Then adjust the settings?

I ask because I'm confused with this statement:
*****Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed below by aging all pixels equally with the same content. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****

i was confused too but once i read it all again and posted some questions here it was confirmed that the settings in the first post are the custom settings you need to set the tv to run the slides....then after the slides have run for the proper time, d-nice has posted reference settings for viewing. those settings are listed immediately below his first post and are seperated by settings for ST,GT and VT.
post #456 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Just wanted to note how impressed I was with the field rep Panasonic sent to correct the Fbr issues on my April build 50GT30. Showed up on time, removed his shoes, and did the fix quickly. He indicated that he was glad there was a software fix for the issue as he preferred that to opening up the set. In fact, he said he'd drive up to 150 miles to keep a customer from having to do the a-board swap with a third party tech.

I did have to restore the factory-set DRV/CUT values in the service menu as expected and otherwise restore my settings, but I can't complain about the service.

It's really nice to see that a company cares about and stands behind its products.
post #457 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 231
Quote:

Just ran the slides out of the box with the break-in settings for 225 hours straight without ever turning the tv off . . . No heat issues and a great way to test for problems.

Why 225 hours? My wife wants to game . . . I wanted to condition it for at least 200 hours.

As long as you have proper ventilation (mY set was on the stand on an open table), you don't need to give the slides a break . . . But, if it gives you more comfort, turn the vt30 off to rest it one hour a day . . . Do not take a break in the slides to watch movies, play games, or watch TV.

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by! --Douglas Adams
post #458 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 466
What if the slides aren't used. Will dice settings not look good?

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #459 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM

I have my old TH-50PX60U and my new GT30 hooked up to a Monoprice 4x2 HDMI Switch. Whenever the PX60U is turned off (whether by remote or button) the GT30 turns off as well. Does anybody know what is causing this and how to stop it?

Xbox: SchwedyBalz (Microsoft made me change it, again)
PS3: SchwettyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
post #460 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Turn off "Ctrl with HDMI" on your PX60U and "Viera Link" on your GT30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwettyBalz View Post

I have my old TH-50PX60U and my new GT30 hooked up to a Monoprice 4x2 HDMI Switch. Whenever the PX60U is turned off (whether by remote or button) the GT30 turns off as well. Does anybody know what is causing this and how to stop it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #461 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

Turn off "Ctrl with HDMI" on your PX60U and "Viera Link" on your GT30.

I think I did turn off Viera Link on the GT30 and couldn't find a "Ctrl with HDMI" on the PX60U, but I'll check again. Thanks!

Xbox: SchwedyBalz (Microsoft made me change it, again)
PS3: SchwettyBalz

Go Jackets!
Go Bolts!
post #462 of 1088 Old 01-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Just got home from helping my brother hang his new 65vt30 on his wall and since I had great luck with D-Nice's settings on my 65vt25 I figured I would print them off and set his up. The issue is that his TV is a November 2011 build LJ series which D-Nice does not have settings listed for. Has anyone had good or bad results from using one of the other series settings? I figured since he spent this kind of money then I want him to be happy and get the best possible picture he can get.
post #463 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Hi I have a TH-P65VT30 coming this week, I am in New Zealand, apparently it is a OCT 2011 build and serial starts with YK1

Would I be able to use DNice's settings with the slides to achieve a DIY calibration? Or would my set being in NZ be wildy off and I have to find settings for sets in this region?
post #464 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizad1713 View Post

Just got home from helping my brother hang his new 65vt30 on his wall and since I had great luck with D-Nice's settings on my 65vt25 I figured I would print them off and set his up. The issue is that his TV is a November 2011 build LJ series which D-Nice does not have settings listed for. Has anyone had good or bad results from using one of the other series settings? I figured since he spent this kind of money then I want him to be happy and get the best possible picture he can get.

I asked this exact question sometime before Christmas, in both this thread and the Official thread and don't recall ever seeing a response. I just used the MJ settings and have been pleased.

** I stand corrected there was a reply, stating not to use settings from other serial number sets (got caught up with Christmas and didn't see it). I don't think there would be any danger in doing so, but you won't get as accurate a result.
post #465 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Hey guys a quick question..
Just had my 55st30 June 2011 build updated by the service tech for the fBr issue. He used an SD flash instead of an ABoard replacement, quick and easy. PDP EEP went from 63.52 > 63.54 which is consistent with the chart of values. Previously had run slides and followed DNice's settings (thanks man!). After reconfiguring back to these setiings, it seems the color is a little off from where it was (greens particularly).

Are there any settings that should be adjusted in the Service menu after the board flash?

Thanks!
post #466 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla View Post

I asked this exact question sometime before Christmas, in both this thread and the Official thread and don't recall ever seeing a response. I just used the MJ settings and have been pleased.

** I stand corrected there was a reply, stating not to use settings from other serial number sets (got caught up with Christmas and didn't see it). I don't think there would be any danger in doing so, but you won't get as accurate a result.

would that also stand for not using the slides to break it in? but still using the settings?

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #467 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post

Hey guys a quick question..
Just had my 55st30 June 2011 build updated by the service tech for the fBr issue. He used an SD flash instead of an ABoard replacement, quick and easy. PDP EEP went from 63.52 > 63.54 which is consistent with the chart of values. Previously had run slides and followed DNice's settings (thanks man!). After reconfiguring back to these setiings, it seems the color is a little off from where it was (greens particularly).

Are there any settings that should be adjusted in the Service menu after the board flash?

Thanks!

The flash does modify the DRV and CUT settings in the Service menu...taking them back to a standard (not factory adjusted) baseline. If you wrote down your initial offset values (or your values post DNice adjustments), I'd suggest setting things back to those levels.
post #468 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Am I correct in assuming this TV is defective and just needs an exchange?

It's a TC-P46ST30, pretty much brand new out of the box. Before doing anything I just wanted to check reference picture so I watched a few sources and this flickering red line pops up randomly on anything I watch:

I've tried directly connecting the PS3 and PC to the TV instead of the receiver and so on. It doesn't show up in menus and stuff oddly enough. Tried turning off 3:2 pulldown but it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't know anything about TV innards so I'm assuming this is just defective?
post #469 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Well, the Panny tech, Nembro Tarazon, just finished up with the FBr SD card flash. I am here in SoCal. The SD flash took a few minutes and was painless. I had downloaded the 2.1 update onto an SD card and we installed it. He was not aware of it. I gave him the web page info to take back. We then downloaded 2.2 off the net and installed. I put my settings back in and no more FBr. My 65GT30 values went from 83.42 to 83.44. This tv looks great and it has no problems. It is calibration time!
post #470 of 1088 Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM

how can i find out the date my plasma was made? how do i look that up?

Thanks,
George
post #471 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 01:02 AM

I just bought this set yesterday, set it up, and everything looks great... except for one thing.

When watching a sports channel, it doesn't matter which (TSN, Sportsnet, Big10 Network, etc.) I get a sporadic white flickering on the screen. Sometimes it will flash once and I won't see it again for awhile, sometimes a few times in short bursts.

The content on the channels doesn't seem to matter, whether it's live sports, or player interviews the flickering appears. What's curious to me is that this only appears on the sports channels. Everything else looks very nice.

I am in Canada on the Shaw network, this problem is appearing on the HD channels. I have only watched SD sports briefly and have not noticed flickering in SD.

If anyone has any info to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I googled the problem and it was mentioned in certain reviews that it is a possible issue for certain people. Is this what I am experiencing, and if it is, why does it only happen on the sports channels?
post #472 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
To the last several posts, this is a thread on settings. You would be better off with your queries in the threads dedicated to your specific model.
post #473 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks for your responses.

I just got delivery of my new 55ST30 and just found that there is a pixelated lines at the bottom of the screen no matter what source I try. Its roughly 8 lines. I've attached a screenshot

What should I do? Should I return the set or have Panasonic fix it?

Also when I turn on the tv and the source gets selected I see garbled pixels of various colors before I see the video. Is that normal for Plasma? Sorry I am new to Plasma and hence the questions.

Please help.

Thanks!
LL
post #474 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your responses.

I just got delivery of my new 55ST30 and just found that there is a pixelated lines at the bottom of the screen no matter what source I try. Its roughly 8 lines. I've attached a screenshot

What should I do? Should I return the set or have Panasonic fix it?

Also when I turn on the tv and the source gets selected I see garbled pixels of various colors before I see the video. Is that normal for Plasma? Sorry I am new to Plasma and hence the questions.

Please help.

Thanks!

The first issue looks like a defect to me. I'd try a different HDMI cable to be sure. If still there, return it.

The second issue sounds like normal HDMI handshaking (video may flash, pixellate, stutter briefly when channels, source, or resolutions change).
post #475 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

The first issue looks like a defect to me. I'd try a different HDMI cable to be sure. If still there, return it.

The second issue sounds like normal HDMI handshaking (video may flash, pixellate, stutter briefly when channels, source, or resolutions change).

Hi cpcat, Thanks so much for your quick response. I tried various sources and infact I tried the DNice jpg slides through SD Card and I still see them when viewing as photo. After a while one of the lines which is a pixelated line turn into solid line.

For the second issue, should i get another HDMI cable? I am using the AmazonBasics HDMI cable. Since that is also lot of garbled pixels before I see the channel was wondering if its HDMI thing

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...dp/B003L1ZYYM/
post #476 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi cpcat, Thanks so much for your quick response. I tried various sources and infact I tried the DNice jpg slides through SD Card and I still see them when viewing as photo. After a while one of the lines which is a pixelated line turn into solid line.

For the second issue, should i get another HDMI cable? I am using the AmazonBasics HDMI cable. Since that is also lot of garbled pixels before I see the channel was wondering if its HDMI thing

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-H...dp/B003L1ZYYM/

Sounds to me that you need to return the set.

The handshaking behavior is normal. A new cable won't help. Some devices seem to show it more than others (sat/cable boxes for example). Even among the sat boxes I've had from D*, some seem to behave differently than others. If it bugs you, you can improve things some by minimizing the resolution changes you have to go through. In other words, set the sat box to 1080i as a single resolution output (if it allows this). The disadvantage is that the box will be scaling everything to 1080i (instead of allowing the display to do this--the display may be doing a slightly better job). The advantage is that channel changing is faster and you see less garbage from the HDMI handshaking artifacts.
post #477 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonednutz View Post

I just bought this set yesterday, set it up, and everything looks great... except for one thing.

When watching a sports channel, it doesn't matter which (TSN, Sportsnet, Big10 Network, etc.) I get a sporadic white flickering on the screen. Sometimes it will flash once and I won't see it again for awhile, sometimes a few times in short bursts.

The content on the channels doesn't seem to matter, whether it's live sports, or player interviews the flickering appears. What's curious to me is that this only appears on the sports channels. Everything else looks very nice.

I am in Canada on the Shaw network, this problem is appearing on the HD channels. I have only watched SD sports briefly and have not noticed flickering in SD.

If anyone has any info to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I googled the problem and it was mentioned in certain reviews that it is a possible issue for certain people. Is this what I am experiencing, and if it is, why does it only happen on the sports channels?

If this is happening only with your sat/cable provider it's likely either a provider issue or a HDMI handshake instability issue between the display and the sat/cable box. Double check the connections. You could try a cable swap to see if it helps. You could also try switching the input on the TV.

If it's happening on multiple sources then it may be harder to pin down. Look towards a central switching device (such as an avr,hdmi switcher) as the culprit. Try taking the switching device out of the loop and see if the problem goes away.
post #478 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Sounds to me that you need to return the set.

Thanks cpcat. My worst fear came true. Sure will do return the set as sometimes one of the pixelated line turn into a solid line to the color of the slide from DNice jpgs. Hope the replacement comes good instead of trial and error lottery. Already had to convince my wife to go for plasma when like everyone else she liked LED due to brighter picture at the showroom.

Quote:

The handshaking behavior is normal. A new cable won't help. Some devices seem to show it more than others (sat/cable boxes for example). Even among the sat boxes I've had from D*, some seem to behave differently than others. If it bugs you, you can improve things some by minimizing the resolution changes you have to go through. In other words, set the sat box to 1080i as a single resolution output (if it allows this). The disadvantage is that the box will be scaling everything to 1080i (instead of allowing the display to do this--the display may be doing a slightly better job). The advantage is that channel changing is faster and you see less garbage from the HDMI handshaking artifacts.

Thanks. Thats informative. Much appreciated.
post #479 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernoz View Post

Am I correct in assuming this TV is defective and just needs an exchange?

It's a TC-P46ST30, pretty much brand new out of the box. Before doing anything I just wanted to check reference picture so I watched a few sources and this flickering red line pops up randomly on anything I watch:

I've tried directly connecting the PS3 and PC to the TV instead of the receiver and so on. It doesn't show up in menus and stuff oddly enough. Tried turning off 3:2 pulldown but it didn't seem to make a difference. I don't know anything about TV innards so I'm assuming this is just defective?

Looks defective to me. I sound like a broken
record here--but you might hook up a source
like a DVD/bd player directly to the display and see
if its still there. I'd probably also do a cable swap just to
be sure before returning the set, but that doesn't look like
a cabling issue unfortunately.
post #480 of 1088 Old 01-07-2012, 11:41 AM

Can I assume that the ST30 calibration settings are not series specific as the VT30? I have the MH series and the 100 hours of slides will be done tonight. I did not find anything specific in the ST30 thread.

Thanks.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt30 65 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page