Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1088 Old 01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
d-nice,
I've had my 55vt30 for ~ 2 months now and have been watching some movies, sd TV and wat nots. I'm totally in the dark now as I'm wanting to use your D-Nice's settings.
After all that being said I've just started to run the 100 hour prep(break-in) slides. I'm lost for words as I didn't see or take notice of not watching anything on the vt30 until the 100 prep slides were done. I just figured I could do it any old time and then set your D-Nice's settings listed. Now I'm, confused, do I/should I still run the 100 hour prep slides or just use your D-Nice's setting already? Geez, wouldn't this prep slide age the panel now as it would brand new? but it's just that I did it in reverse order using the tv to watch movies, sdtv and etc. then now running the 100 hour slide

edit: hopefully you'd be kind enough to respond with your suggestions for the above and I know it's been stated to use firmware 2.1 @ your own risk which I don't mind doing. Would it be a better choice to update the EEPROM to firmware 2.1 and use your settings than not doing the EEPROM update at all? and just using your non-updated firmware settings? I hear some using the 2.1 firmware and seeing a slight difference in picture quality for the better but I just wanted to hear it from you, hahaha. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1088 Old 01-24-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Crap i think i have burnin. From cod. Been less than a month of playig tho. I can only see it during the green coming attractions screen. Not good

I have it to Brian. And it only really shows up on green when i run the slides of colours. Shows up a tiny bit on some whites. I've followed advice and stopped playing cod, started watching regular content i.e. blu rays zoomed so no letter box top and bottom, ran the slide show straight away which all together has eliminated most of the burn. Am now looking at software to reverse the rest.

I've yet to download and try but here's a link if you want to see what it can do ... http://www.jscreenfix.com/

post #633 of 1088 Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 PM

I had too much free time. So I created a spreadsheet containing D-Nice's settings for various series of the 55VT30 and 65VT30 models.
Warnings: Please note that D-Nice's initial posts contain his official numbers. Use the spreadsheet only as a tool to compare his settings. I am going to use it for comparison before and after the EEPROM update.

Please let me know posting such spreadsheet is a bad idea. I can remove it.

Panasonic 2011 VT30 Settings.zip 9.205078125k . file

Peter
post #634 of 1088 Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDice View Post

I had too much free time. So I created a spreadsheet containing D-Nice's settings for various series of the 55VT30 and 65VT30 models.
Warnings: Please note that D-Nice's initial posts contain his official numbers. Use the spreadsheet only as a tool to compare his settings. I am going to use it for comparison before and after the EEPROM update.

I like it,,,Doing the 100hr countdown, when I'm done, I just want to make sure I understand the settings: I have 65VT30 I set them as displayed not count down or up from the number mine is currently at?

HH
post #635 of 1088 Old 01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

I've got 50+ hours to go with the prep slides. I'm on the fence as to or not updating the EEPROM with the 2.1 update. I don't plan on having a calibration done in the future but I'd still would want that luminance fix of 2.1. Geez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDice View Post

post #636 of 1088 Old 01-26-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pochoboy View Post

I've got 50+ hours to go with the prep slides. I'm on the fence as to or not updating the EEPROM with the 2.1 update. I don't plan on having a calibration done in the future but I'd still would want that luminance fix of 2.1. Geez

If you plan to use D-nice settings and
want it to look as close as possible to the
way he calibrated, don't apply 2.1.

If not, and you'll either self-calibrate or get
a pro cal later, then apply 2.1 before doing either.
post #637 of 1088 Old 01-26-2012, 09:30 PM

So... just occurred to me. What happens if you get a non MJ series (like LH or MH) but then get the EPROM updated? Will D-Nice's settings still work? His current settings are only for LH and MH series without the updated EPROM. What would one do???
post #638 of 1088 Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post

So... just occurred to me. What happens if you get a non MJ series (like LH or MH) but then get the EPROM updated? Will D-Nice's settings still work? His current settings are only for LH and MH series without the updated EPROM. What would one do???

The settings are only for the sets and EEPROM version listed - using them with other sets/EEPROM versions will give unknown results....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcat View Post

If you plan to use D-nice settings and
want it to look as close as possible to the
way he calibrated, don't apply 2.1.

If not, and you'll either self-calibrate or get
a pro cal later, then apply 2.1 before doing either.

Exactly

Quote:

There is a difference between the firmware revision (2.x) and the EEPROM version. Suggest carefully reading mvp2005fan's 'Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxVT30 Mini FAQ' http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post21210910
post #639 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 05:11 AM

So, If I get a 65VT30 LH series and get a Panasonic technician to update the EPROM (new A-Board) the settings will no longer be compatible? So, would it be better not to get the TV fixed so you could use D-Nice's settings?

Sorry if I'm slow, I'm just getting a 65VT soon (very excited) and just wanting to make sure I'm covering all of my bases. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undecided View Post

The settings are only for the sets and EEPROM version listed - using them with other sets/EEPROM versions will give unknown results....

post #640 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonednutz View Post

I just bought this set yesterday, set it up, and everything looks great... except for one thing.

When watching a sports channel, it doesn't matter which (TSN, Sportsnet, Big10 Network, etc.) I get a sporadic white flickering on the screen. Sometimes it will flash once and I won't see it again for awhile, sometimes a few times in short bursts.

The content on the channels doesn't seem to matter, whether it's live sports, or player interviews the flickering appears. What's curious to me is that this only appears on the sports channels. Everything else looks very nice.

I am in Canada on the Shaw network, this problem is appearing on the HD channels. I have only watched SD sports briefly and have not noticed flickering in SD.

If anyone has any info to help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. I googled the problem and it was mentioned in certain reviews that it is a possible issue for certain people. Is this what I am experiencing, and if it is, why does it only happen on the sports channels?

i have this EXACT issue, however i am with Bell satellite. i too have swapped out all possible culprits that might be contributing to this problem. i have been in touch with panasonic concierge and they are sending a tech in 22 minutes. i will post the result after. Model is TCP60ST30 .
post #641 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, it seems I need to comprehend what I've read better. I thought D-Nice had 2 settings listed for the 55vt30 MJ series, one for the non-update and one for the updated(2.1) EEPROM update? so I had taken for granted that we could go either route and it was just that once you update to 2.1 there's no turning back. I was also assuming a bit that some stated not to do the EEPROM update unless one was going to calibrate the set because there were no d-nice settings listed for their vt30 series with the EEPROM update.

I know you have stated not to do the 2.1 update unless one was doing a calibration in the future but why does d-nice have settings with the updated EEPROM?

just need a nudge more clarification on this 31.5 hours and counting down
post #642 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 08:20 AM
gce

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Okay, it seems I need to comprehend what I've read better. I thought D-Nice had 2 settings listed for the 55vt30 MJ series, one for the non-update and one for the updated(2.1) EEPROM update? so I had taken for granted that we could go either route and it was just that once you update to 2.1 there's no turning back. I was also assuming a bit that some stated not to do the EEPROM update unless one was going to calibrate the set because there were no d-nice settings listed for their vt30 series with the EEPROM update.

I know you have stated not to do the 2.1 update unless one was doing a calibration in the future but why does d-nice have settings with the updated EEPROM?

just need a nudge more clarification on this 31.5 hours and counting down

DO NOT use update 2.1 if you plan on using D-Nices settings! The EEPROM and the 2.1 fix are 2 different things! D-Nice does not have settings for 2.1 update!
post #643 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce View Post

DO NOT use update 2.1 if you plan on using D-Nices settings! The EEPROM and the 2.1 fix are 2 different things! D-Nice does not have settings for 2.1 update!

Thank you for clearing that UP! Somehow I always find a way in screwing myself up, I'm glad I asked and got your response
post #644 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM
gce

Quote:

Thank you for clearing that UP! Somehow I always find a way in screwing myself up, I'm glad I asked and got your response

Now you have to find out if you have the EEPROM update. I see you have a MJ series, but what month was it built?
post #645 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM

I've been doing the break-in slides per Evangelo's break-in page, at low contrast, low brightness for 100 hours.

Am I reading correctly now, that to use D-nice's settings, I should now do an additional 100 hours of the prep slides using his custom settings, THEN apply the picture settings?

So in essence, 100 hour break-in, 100 hour D-nice prep using his prep setting, then calibrate picture to D-nice's picture settings. Correct?
post #646 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Now you have to find out if you have the EEPROM update. I see you have a MJ series, but what month was it built?

Yes, I do have an Oct. build and did the EEPROM check as described here in this forum. Thanks! You know now that I was thinking the EEPROM update and 2.1 firmware update was one in the same!
post #647 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 AM
gce

Quote:

Yes, I do have an Oct. build and did the EEPROM check as described here in this forum. Thanks! You know now that I was thinking the EEPROM update and 2.1 firmware update was one in the same!

You have the same series and build date as my 55VT30 and with D-Nices settings mine looks great! Hope you have the same luck!
post #648 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM
gce

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxtercavendish View Post

I've been doing the break-in slides per Evangelo's break-in page, at low contrast, low brightness for 100 hours.

Am I reading correctly now, that to use D-nice's settings, I should now do an additional 100 hours of the prep slides using his custom settings, THEN apply the picture settings?

So in essence, 100 hour break-in, 100 hour D-nice prep using his prep setting, then calibrate picture to D-nice's picture settings. Correct?

The very first post in this thread is what you set your TV at to run the slides for 100 hours. After that you find your TV in the other posts and put in the settings.
post #649 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

gce again I can't thank you enough! You don't know how much of a headache you saved me. I would think I'll have the same results with the vt30 as you did and will be enjoying the set soon. Have a Great Day!

baxtor, I think d-nice stated us having to run Envangelo's prep slides with "d-nice's" custom mode settings for 100 hours before using his listed settings.
post #650 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Oops. I have missed the same thing. The bright side is that it still looks better than the default values OOTB.

Peter
post #651 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Great thread, nice work dnice! I got about 6 pages in so I apologize if this has been discussed.

edit. Well I ordered my 65gt30, Ill just keep my fingers crossed that it was produced after Aug. I plan to follow D-nice's instruction to the tee.

Back to reading
post #652 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:

gce again I can't thank you enough! You don't know how much of a headache you saved me. I would think I'll have the same results with the vt30 as you did and will be enjoying the set soon. Have a Great Day!

baxtor, I think d-nice stated us having to run Envangelo's prep slides with "d-nice's" custom mode settings for 100 hours before using his listed settings.

Arrrrgh 100 hours down the drain!

"*****Note: This procedure is designed to prepare your display for the reference settings listed below by aging all pixels equally with the same content. This procedure is NOT designed nor recommended to be used as Break-in, Image Retention and/or Burn-in prevention.*****"

I guess what confused me is that D-nice was explicit about this not being settings for break-in, which made me think break-in first, then use D-nice's slide settings, then update the picture...

Guess I'll just have to waste another 100 hours of viewing time
post #653 of 1088 Old 01-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Liked: 12
I just got my gt30 and was planning on running the slides.
Took the last two hours reading the entire thread again but still have some questions:

1. When I turn the tv on it asks me to update. Is this the 2.1 update that is mentioned in the previous posts? Why is it so bad to update if it fixes certain issues that Panasonic must feel need to fixed.
2. How do I find out what version of eeprom is currently on the tv.

Thanks
post #654 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chomperoni View Post

I just got my gt30 and was planning on running the slides.
Took the last two hours reading the entire thread again but still have some questions:

1. When I turn the tv on it asks me to update. Is this the 2.1 update that is mentioned in the previous posts? Why is it so bad to update if it fixes certain issues that Panasonic must feel need to fixed.
2. How do I find out what version of eeprom is currently on the tv.

Thanks

For 1., it will be the 2.2 firmware update. 2.1 can only be loaded using an SD card, not thru the internet. If you go thru the 100 hour conditioning slides and then use D_Nice's settings you don't apply the 2.1 patch because it messes with gamma and thus D_Nice's settings are moot. 2.1 is for professional calibrators, not for the general public.

For 2., you have to enter the service menu. There you can brick your TV if you aren't careful. If you aren't up for that then forget about the 100 hr slides because you have to make changes in the service menu for D_Nice's settings.
post #655 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 05:48 AM

GREAT NEWS!

A fix for the Uniformity problem (Green Splodges etc) is being rolled out next week in the UK and i am to recieve a visit of representitves from Panasonic to apply it. I will report back to HDTVTest as soon as i have more news.
post #656 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

For 1., it will be the 2.2 firmware update. 2.1 can only be loaded using an SD card, not thru the internet. If you go thru the 100 hour conditioning slides and then use D_Nice's settings you don't apply the 2.1 patch because it messes with gamma and thus D_Nice's settings are moot. 2.1 is for professional calibrators, not for the general public.

For 2., you have to enter the service menu. There you can brick your TV if you aren't careful. If you aren't up for that then forget about the 100 hr slides because you have to make changes in the service menu for D_Nice's settings.

Thank you.
I am feeling a little squeamish about going into the service menu. I may spring later for a calibrator but unfortunately it is not in my budget now.
Is it correct to assume that if I run the slides and D-Nice's initial settings that it is still a good way to break in the tv?
If I watch tv I understand that I should be running content with no bars or fixed logos for the first 200 hours.
What is the best brightness or other setting I should be doing this at?
post #657 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you.
I am feeling a little squeamish about going into the service menu. I may spring later for a calibrator but unfortunately it is not in my budget now.
Is it correct to assume that if I run the slides and D-Nice's initial settings that it is still a good way to break in the tv?
If I watch tv I understand that I should be running content with no bars or fixed logos for the first 200 hours.

If you plan to NOT apply D-nice settings then your best option IMO is to
apply the 2.1 luminance patch and use either THX mode or Dave O's custom mid panel brightness settings (found in the GT30 settings thread). I've found I prefer simply using THX and bumping up the contrast a bit--you can go up to 75 if needed after the 2.1 luminance patch without a significant negative effect to gamma performance according to Dave O. I personally use contrast at 65 and brightness at 51, color at 48, sharpness at zero. Bumping the contrast a little more will provide more light output to the display. Don't change the brightness setting thinking it will make the display brighter--it won't, it will only make the blacks gray and destroy panel contrast performance if you raise it.

The 2.1 luminance patch is easy to apply and done via manual download to SD card here:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c.../down_pro.html

As far as break in is concerned, just minimize black bars and vary programming/static logos during the first 200 hours or so. You may get a little temporary IR with this set in the first several hundred hours but it won't be permanent and the tendency goes away with aging of the panel.
post #658 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Thank you.

If you don't want to enter the service menu, I didn't btw, go to the Official GT30 Settings thread and use Dave_O's settings. He has settings for the 2.1 patch and without the 2.1 patch. Personally, I used the set out of the box for watching Blu-rays, 3D, and TV. I don't use it for gaming so no problems there.

Also, others have been very happy just running in THX mode w/o any tweaking. I started with basic brightness contrast adjustments using DVE HD Basics (that improved the picture), then used James Camerons settings provide with the 3D Avatar disc (more improvement), then found the threads here. I tried Dave_O's settings before the 2.1 patch and wow, a major improvement. Applied the 2.1 patch, then 2.2 again along with the post 2.1 settings and more improvement. Not as blow your socks off as going from Cameron's settings to Dave_O the first time - seems to have better flesh tones after 2.1.

Whatever you decide to do it seems that both will give you a fantastic picture on your GT30.

Plus what cpcat said. I guess I type too slow.
post #659 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Dave_O Custom mode mid-panel brightness(with 2.1 applied) settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21413394

Notice that if you read a few posts around that he likes THX post-2.1 as well.
The difference between them if you set the contrast the same is pretty subtle really. THX just seems a little smoother to me.
post #660 of 1088 Old 01-28-2012, 08:35 AM

Thank you to all of you for the quick and great replys. I will try Dave_o's settings.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42st30 42 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P46st30 46 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55st30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65st30 65 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50st30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt30 65 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page