TV Tuner on Plasma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a ridiculous question, but does a Plasma TV usually have a TV tuner? In particular, I'm looking at the Panny P42ST30, but I can't find in its specs that it has a built-in tuner (even though I'd think that was standard on a TV). Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by christnp View Post

This may be a ridiculous question, but does a Plasma TV usually have a TV tuner? In particular, I'm looking at the Panny P42ST30, but I can't find in its specs that it has a built-in tuner (even though I'd think that was standard on a TV). Thoughts?

Yes it has ATSC and, I believe, NTSC & QAM. I use the ATSC tuner for digital OTA. TVs have tuners, monitors do not.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Integrated ATSC Tuner Yes under Technical Specs

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...702#tabsection

However I have a friend has a plasma with no tuner (monitor) so perhaps this is more common with plasma sets vs leds?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #4 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Yes it has ATSC and, I believe, NTSC & QAM. I use the ATSC tuner for digital OTA. TVs have tuners, monitors do not.

That is what I thought and this is one reason I would purchase the TV vs a Monitor (I currenlty use a monitor, but sold my PC tuner card)... and this is why I was sure my question was rediculous; but for the life of me I could not find that information (granted, I was only looking on Amazon ). Thanks for the link too!
post #5 of 10 Old 11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
For future reference, if the device is marketed as a TV set it must have at least an ATSC (ota) digital tuner. Most also have QAM digital tuners that will access unscrambled digital cable channels. If the device is marketed as a monitor it is not required to have a tuner. Commercial plasmas meant for use in stores etc. usually are classified as monitors.

Steve S.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Panny doesn't (on the 2010 model anyway) have any support for any on-screen guide whatsoever (TVGOS or PSIP etc).
So, really not the most OTA-friendly brand, even for models you pay a few thousand dollars. Pressing the INFo button on the remote will only give you part of the title of what's on right now (but no program description and even the title is limited to something like 15 characters).

I emailed them about it and was told to F off.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

For future reference, if the device is marketed as a TV set it must have at least an ATSC (ota) digital tuner. Most also have QAM digital tuners that will access unscrambled digital cable channels. If the device is marketed as a monitor it is not required to have a tuner. Commercial plasmas meant for use in stores etc. usually are classified as monitors.

Yeah, I thought it was just standard that a TV had a tuner -- but then I saw one advertised as having a built-in tuner (which some monitors will say, but this was advertised as a TV). So then I got worried
post #8 of 10 Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxheaven View Post

Panny doesn't (on the 2010 model anyway) have any support for any on-screen guide whatsoever (TVGOS or PSIP etc).
So, really not the most OTA-friendly brand, even for models you pay a few thousand dollars. Pressing the INFo button on the remote will only give you part of the title of what's on right now (but no program description and even the title is limited to something like 15 characters).

I emailed them about it and was told to F off.

That is the very reason I choose Samsung over Panasonic for OTA viewers. Complete program information and channel list built in. No cable box, only OTA antenna.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 AM

Ya, OTA wasn't a priority when I bought the TV, but now I use 95% of my TV viewing through OTA, the remaining 5% with cable STB.
So, it's annoying. I don't understand why they won't at least have an APP for it. I have all those APPs, there's even more than one weather app (accuweather and another one) but nothing for TV programming.
That blows )o:

I am shopping for a very cheap (probably LCD even) TV for the bedroom. It certainly will not be a Panny.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Samsung PN43D450 makes a good bedroom TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page