post #631 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Hi Ale

If you're set has dramatically changed since you first received it and you do have major line bleeding and posterization I'd get LG to take a look, especially if it is still under warranty. Then you could do the pot adjustments.
The manual is the same as the PK950, or at least similar and can be found here. http://136.166.4.200/contents/Displa...50/50PK950.htm

Hi Robert,

i feel it changed so much, before i never saw such posterization, now seems i see it always. But you know that when there is smt "wromg" yr eyes look always on it, as a bad pixel
For line bleeding i suffer from beginnig, it reduce a little if turn off the energy save... i will try call LG service

Thanks

Ale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Robbynaish: I have an older LG plasma 42pq30 that has similar effect but more of a red/pink tint that shows up. Last night I had to keep the tv on for about 15 minutes until it almost disappeared, but it still came up once in awhile. I think it has more to do with the cold start and I pretty much eliminated it by doing a 5 minute color and white wash and then watch regular content for five minutes and it was entirely gone. However, its probably going to come back once again when I turn the tv back on tonight on a cold start. I used to see the effect in the winter often, but I haven't used the tv much in the last year so I might have to start using it more often to get the phosphors burned in again :P. Are those picture blemishes always on screen or off and on?
post #633 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 10:32 AM

In addition, my LG 50pk550 June 2010 build sometimes gets a light baby blue tint to tv actor's skin if I fiddle with picture settings too much ( this happened even before the pots tweak). I only get that problem once every few months, but only if i change picture presets. Usually, I just have to turn the tv off and on a minute later and its gone. Hence, I calibrated my tv for Expert 2 and just keep it there to stop the tv from acting up. I really love the picture of my 50pk550, but sometimes I feel like it has a mind of its own. :P
post #634 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Liked: 11
Sorry for asking such a stupid question, especially since its my first post...

But, where are the problems in the posted pictures ?
post #635 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caychanh30 View Post

Thanks for the reply, I must be using my cheap Harbor Freight multimeter wrong. I was able to measure one of the voltages, but all the others were causing the multimeter to act crazy like stuck on 1 or something. I first tried VAC on the multimeter, but that's apparently wrong. Will try again and if that doesn't work I guess I'll try the $12 sears one.

Set it on VDC and make sure to set the range properly on the selector dial. Sounds like you were trying to measure a voltage outside the range of the selected setting. Put the negative on the chassis except when measuring across resistors.
post #636 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collusion View Post

Okay, my bad.

I think this is the right thread to discuss about the aggressive APL circuit that the new LG plasmas are equipped with. I remember my ex 60PK550 being almost untolerable to use as a computer monitor because of the deep and sudden brightness changes ( related to the average picture level of course ). This wasn't much of an issue with video material though.

Has anybody ever tried or even thought of this matter? I am sure trimming the APL slope could be theoritically possible since tv sets must have a some kind of safety margin for excessive heat production / power consumption.

From what I've seen, this isn't much of an issue with Panasonic plasmas. Sure, you can see their APL working too, but it is much less distracting.

EDIT: As I started to thinking the matter a little further, could it be actually the power supply limiting the image brightness, not a software/hardware trick? However, wouldn't this be bad for the PSU in a longer run?

My old panasonic PH9UK had an adjustment in the service menu called "Power Control". A simple tweak of this value and I could get the screen as bright as I wanted. It was nice, and allowed me to control the APL as you described. However, I saw no such adjustment in the LG SM. I did notice that I could get the output might higher by adjusting one of the pwr supply voltages (I think it was Va or Vs). It was the one that is supposed to be 202V in my case. However, turning this too far caused the set to shut down. I assume for overcurrent protection.

Yeah, the LG is pretty useless on full white, but still does a nice 50 ftL on patches of white, so I find it perfectly acceptable for movies.
post #637 of 1404 Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
FWIW, Interestingly going through some of the older plasma Alignment Handbooks, looks like there were 3 pots for the Waveform adjustment, Ramp, Set_up and Set_dn as to opposed to just Set_up and Set_dn currently used. Ramp must have been later incorporated (or eliminated) into the Set_up as the Manual for my PG25 alternates between using Set_up and Ramp for the same pot.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #638 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 AM

LG 42pq30 second round: Last night I adjusted Va and Vs to panel sticker voltages, but I couldn't perceived any picture changes. I think Va was really close to spec, but VS was 190 instead of 196 so i turned it slightly clockwise. It was hard to read the Vy and VSC, because the meter wouldn't keep a steady reading. I also adjusted Vy to get rid of the red/pinkish excited pixels, that was there before the pots tweak, by going back counterclockwise until I got close to stock position. I turned set_up from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Blacks were slightly better and it gave new life to my 3 yr old 42pq30. Thanks rpauls for the tip on using the multimeter correctly. I guess I can call myself an electrician apprentice now. :P
post #639 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LG 42pq30 second round: Last night I adjusted Va and Vs to panel sticker voltages, but I couldn't perceived any picture changes. I think Va was really close to spec, but VS was 190 instead of 196 so i turned it slightly clockwise. It was hard to read the Vy and VSC, because the meter wouldn't keep a steady reading. I also adjusted Vy to get rid of the red/pinkish excited pixels, that was there before the pots tweak, by going back counterclockwise until I got close to stock position. I turned set_up from 11 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Blacks were slightly better and it gave new life to my 3 yr old 42pq30. Thanks rpauls for the tip on using the multimeter correctly. I guess I can call myself an electrician apprentice now. :P

I definitely found my 42PG25 from the same period as your 42PQ30 less tolerant than my PX950 for pot tweaking, a slight turn of the Set_up gave a few steps lower but any lower and the lower screen filled with red pixels, Set-dn was difficult, producing very noisy blacks and had to be reset to stock, Va and VS if turned too far shut down the set, overall there was an improvement, not fantastic, but as you've said it does give new life to a 3 year old set.
If I get a bit of free time hopefully I'll get a chance to measure the voltages on the PG25 to see if they are within spec of the original panel stickers and maybe drop the MLL a tad more.
Overall though I could not get the black levels anywhere near my tweaked PX950, which I was again able to confirm exceeds my brothers Panasonic ST30, IR is vastly improved being almost non-existent.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #640 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Folks,

This thread has completely changed our LGs for the better. I appreciate the effort that everyone has put to figure out and test various tweaks. I did one of the first recommended tweaks where you adjust only 2 pots (can't remember..I think set_up and Vy?). However the tweaking has evolved tremendously since then! I might have missed it, but is there a page/post that summarizes the best way to tweak the pots? I do have an oscilloscope and voltmeter so I'm game to try the more involved tweaks.

If there isn't a all-in-one-post, would it be possible to summarize the tweaks in one post? Like, which pot/voltages etc.? Please don't think that I'm too lazy to scan the posts! It's just that a lot of settings were tested then modified and retested so it's difficult to find the final end-all-be-all tweak. Thanks in advance for any info/clarification!

e
post #641 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsys View Post

Hi Folks,

This thread has completely changed our LGs for the better. I appreciate the effort that everyone has put to figure out and test various tweaks. I did one of the first recommended tweaks where you adjust only 2 pots (can't remember..I think set_up and Vy?). However the tweaking has evolved tremendously since then! I might have missed it, but is there a page/post that summarizes the best way to tweak the pots? I do have an oscilloscope and voltmeter so I'm game to try the more involved tweaks.

If there isn't a all-in-one-post, would it be possible to summarize the tweaks in one post? Like, which pot/voltages etc.? Please don't think that I'm too lazy to scan the posts! It's just that a lot of settings were tested then modified and retested so it's difficult to find the final end-all-be-all tweak. Thanks in advance for any info/clarification!

e

Hi e

As you've discovered there is no general consensus, each set is slightly different, but I believe we can all agree Set_up is the main pot to start with.
Some sets requite adjusting the pots on the power supply to give more head room for the Set_up and Set_dn, while other sets can be turned fully clockwise with no problems.
I personally held off doing my PX950 only because of what I experienced with my PG25 (see above post) and was not prepared for the improvements on my PX950 which currently matches and may exceed the top Panasonics.

I was hoping when I started this thread we would indeed have a straight forward procedure at some point, but there appear too many variables and results.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #642 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As Rich(Rpauls) discovered, by adjusting most of the pots to spec as per the panel labels using a multimeter and an oscilloscope he was able to achieve deeper blacks while keeping an eye on the actual waveform produced.
I haven't got that far, Set-up alone on my PX950 as I noted exceeded my expectations, producing unexpected black levels and some with LGs lower models have achieved similar results while others have not.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #643 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I may have missed this but seeing we have vastly improved the MLL and almost entirely eradicated IR in some cases, I'm curious if the 3D performance (which I have no real interest in so cannot comment), therefore reported cross talk and image brightness, has been improved-degraded?
Anyone care to comment?

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #644 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
Yo,
I managed to get the deep blacks back
I opened the set again, and used a multimeter

Then I drilled a hole in the back where set_up and set_dn are !!
(end of warranty anyway)
Now I'll never have to open it again (screws are already loose)

ps: the wizard now finaly lets me set contrast at 94 and brightness at 50 (yeeha)
before the adjustments it was not possible to match the wizard pictures.

cheers
post #645 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1213 View Post

Yo,
I managed to get the deep blacks back
I opened the set again, and used a multimeter

(end of warranty anyway)

ps: the wizard now finaly lets me set contrast at 94 and brightness at 50 (yeeha)
before the adjustments it was not possible to match the wizard pictures.

cheers

Excellent RB

Curious if you reset your voltages as per the panel labels and if you moved them prior to your first try without the meter.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #646 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Are you using the "white wash" while doing the tweaks? Only reason I ask is because if you were, the voltages should be reading constant because nothing is changing on the screen.
post #647 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm finding if the ambient is below 65-68 F ,18-20 C I'll get the misfires at start up, I believe it's during All-Cell Initialization, but before doing any more adjustments I'd be curious to know if any of those who have not experienced misfires wouldn't mind letting their rooms cool off (seeing it's winter),to see if their sets are also effected, and if so I will probably leave the set as is.

On another positive note, I noted that I really need a cold (freezing) northerly breeze coming through the window (the cats need to get in and out to do their thing when I'm not home) to get the set to misfire, the window is about 5 feet from the side of the set, on a milder day like today 42F or 6C with the window open and the room at a cozy 59F/15C degrees which is lower than previously noted, I've no misfires. And I do need to stress if they in fact happen it takes no more than 30sec to a minute totally clear up with no further problems after that.
Seeing that cold air will hover closer to the floor I should have taken the reading there as my the bottom of the set starts at 18" from the floor.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #648 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 PM

As a follow-up to an earlier post:
At first all I had adjusted were the set-up and set-down. After, I adjusted all the other pots (VS, VA, VSX, -VY, VZB adjustments), I went back to set-up and set-down and was able to adjust them even further clockwise for a better MLL. It is really amazing how much better this tv is now! I am considering getting the X-rite i1Display Pro and CalMAN to professionally calibrate the tv now that I know its full potential.

So for anyone doing the tweaks, you should have at least a multimeter to get the best results. Any multimeter should work (saw some people who were having trouble), just make sure it is on DC and is switched to a mode that can read voltages greater than 120V. Adjust all these pots (VS, VA, VSX, -VY, VZB adjustments), double check them all and make necessary adjustments. Then turn set-up as far as it will go without misfires, then the same with set-down. And finally check all the other pots adjustments one last time.
post #649 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avfanatic1 View Post

At first all I had adjusted were the set-up and set-down. After, I adjusted all the other pots (VS, VA, VSX, -VY, VZB adjustments), I went back to set-up and set-down and was able to adjust them even further clockwise for a better MLL. It is really amazing how much better this tv is now! I am considering getting the X-rite i1Display Pro and CalMAN to professionally calibrate the tv now that I know its full potential.

So for anyone doing the tweaks, you should have at least a multimeter to get the best results. Any multimeter should work (saw some people who were having trouble), just make sure it is on DC and is switched to a mode that can read voltages greater than 120V. Adjust all these pots (VS, VA, VSX, -VY, VZB adjustments), double check them all and make necessary adjustments. Then turn set-up as far as it will go without misfires, then the same with set-down. And finally check all the other pots adjustments one last time.

Thanks avfanatic1

As I asked rb1213, did you set the voltages as per the panel label requirements?

"It is really amazing how much better this tv is now! " I feel the same way about my PX950, although I was pretty content prior to the adjustments, the fact that my MLL is actually now lower than my brothers ST30 I have no further quiggels=happy camper!

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #650 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks avfanatic1

As I asked rb1213, did you set the voltages as per the panel label requirements?

"It is really amazing how much better this tv is now! " I feel the same way about my PX950, although I was pretty content prior to the adjustments, the fact that my MLL is actually now lower than my brothers ST30 I have no further quiggels=happy camper!

Yes, I adjusted it to the label.
post #651 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks,

Makes you wonder if the competition may have infiltrated LG's assembly line?

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #652 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice!
post #653 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb1213 View Post

(end of warranty anyway)

cheers

I like it :-)
post #654 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I currently use an HTPC with a 50pk550 and I'm eager to try these pots adjustments but I was wondering if anyone would know of any complications or has had experience making these adjustments using an HTPC. Are there recommended settings to use as a starting point i.e. refresh rate or video level to start making adjustments on?

Thanks for all the time and effort (and risk!) everyone has put into making this thread. I bought the pk550 TV (my first HDTV ever!)because it was an excellent value and has very extensive calibration controls. Knowing that it's possible to improve an already outstanding picture gives me that excited feeling I had the first time I saw Avatar on this baby!

Aaron
post #655 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:

Interesting, the more that I watch my set now the more that I think that my MLL is actually a little higher with everything adjusted to spec. At first I swore it was better, but I was not in a completely dark room. I still plan to take the set back off the wall tomorrow, adjust Va, and Vy and see if I get better results. I will report back when I can.
post #656 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermeister View Post

I currently use an HTPC with a 50pk550 and I'm eager to try these pots adjustments but I was wondering if anyone would know of any complications or has had experience making these adjustments using an HTPC. Are there recommended settings to use as a starting point i.e. refresh rate or video level to start making adjustments on?

Thanks for all the time and effort (and risk!) everyone has put into making this thread. I bought the pk550 TV (my first HDTV ever!)because it was an excellent value and has very extensive calibration controls. Knowing that it's possible to improve an already outstanding picture gives me that excited feeling I had the first time I saw Avatar on this baby!

Aaron

Hi Aaron

No magic involved or special settings we're just lowering the MLL, so you're contrast ratio should dramatically improve, more depth to images, blacks will look blacker and if you're able to to reduce the MLL far enough without problems the bars in letter box films in a dark room will disappear making for a more immersive viewing experience. Basically everything you like about your PK550 should just get better. Also if you've been plagued by image retention that should also be dramatically reduced or non-existent.
And....... you'll want to watch your Avatar all over again as you will probably do with most of your films.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #657 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fantastic ! Thanks for the quick answer Rob. My weekend just got a whole lot more relaxing
post #658 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesun View Post

Interesting, the more that I watch my set now the more that I think that my MLL is actually a little higher with everything adjusted to spec. At first I swore it was better, but I was not in a completely dark room. I still plan to take the set back off the wall tomorrow, adjust Va, and Vy and see if I get better results. I will report back when I can.

I will be interested to hear what you find.

I know from experience it is difficult to evaluate black levels by trying to "remember" them from days ago. I thought mine had increased as well, but fortunately I have a probe to confirm. Last I checked it was still steady at .007. I think I was just getting accustomed to this dark level.

I would not be surprised if you could go even darker by tweaking multiple pots, but at what expense to other aspects of PQ? Those voltages will also effect the bright parts of the picture. I wouldn't want to make the picture dimmer (or non linear) for the sake of lower blacks.

Still, you can always turn them back. No harm done.
post #659 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM

My 60ps11 is out of warranty so I figure I might as well just drill holes where the Set_UP is located. Is there a way to figure out where that would be?
post #660 of 1404 Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post

My 60ps11 is out of warranty so I figure I might as well just drill holes where the Set_UP is located. Is there a way to figure out where that would be?

You're not thinking of drilling the back while it's still attached are you?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page