LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks. - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just picked up a 60PB5600 on Black Friday and was dissapointed with the initial black levels coming from an S64 Panasonic. I remembered this LG tweak from my previous 50" plasma and it worked great there so I was excited to get started.

Took all the screws off the back only to find that the base of the unit is actually holding onto the back panel as well. Can't get it off without unscrewing the base. Before I could do anything about that the front bezel flipped forward and the pane of glass off the front tumbled to the ground along with 3 of the internal mounting frames. Not sure of the 6600 is built the same way but I recommend proceeding with caution. Took me awhile to figure out how to put it all back together again, especially by myself. I was worried of getting dust/dirt inside the glass so I used a microfiber cloth. Got almost all of it but I can see a little bit still stuck in there when I get close on a full color slide.... sad.

So what am I to do now? I haven't done any of the tweaks still. I'm thinking of putting the plasma face down, removing the base and all the back panel screws, then lightly putting the base and most of the panel screws back in to keep the TV together a little bit - due to the tweaks/ test and then reverse the process.

Any pointers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141225_214654.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	443906  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, to rapidly follow up on that - I decided to give it another shot today. Got the TV facedown on a futon, took the stand off - took the back off. Put 8 screws back in with washers to help hold the TV altogether, put the stand screws back in (they were loose because the back panel was missing but it held together). Stood the TV back up and tweaked where she stood. A little disappointed by the results, to be honest. On my first LG plasma (3 years ago) the results were night and day - incredibly deep blacks. I went to extremes on this model (PB5600) and got only minimal change. Wasn't even able to get pixel misfires so most things are full tilt one direction or the other. Not sure it was the worth the effort/risk but it did improve some. Overall I'm happy with the set (especially for the price) but disappointed in the black levels. Hope this helps someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbegone View Post
I just picked up a 60PB5600 on Black Friday and was dissapointed with the initial black levels coming from an S64 Panasonic. I remembered this LG tweak from my previous 50" plasma and it worked great there so I was excited to get started.

Took all the screws off the back only to find that the base of the unit is actually holding onto the back panel as well. Can't get it off without unscrewing the base. Before I could do anything about that the front bezel flipped forward and the pane of glass off the front tumbled to the ground along with 3 of the internal mounting frames. Not sure of the 6600 is built the same way but I recommend proceeding with caution. Took me awhile to figure out how to put it all back together again, especially by myself. I was worried of getting dust/dirt inside the glass so I used a microfiber cloth. Got almost all of it but I can see a little bit still stuck in there when I get close on a full color slide.... sad.

So what am I to do now? I haven't done any of the tweaks still. I'm thinking of putting the plasma face down, removing the base and all the back panel screws, then lightly putting the base and most of the panel screws back in to keep the TV together a little bit - due to the tweaks/ test and then reverse the process.

Any pointers?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141227_114149.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	444290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141227_114318.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	444298  
Old Today, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbegone View Post
OK, to rapidly follow up on that - I decided to give it another shot today. Got the TV facedown on a futon, took the stand off - took the back off. Put 8 screws back in with washers to help hold the TV altogether, put the stand screws back in (they were loose because the back panel was missing but it held together). Stood the TV back up and tweaked where she stood. A little disappointed by the results, to be honest. On my first LG plasma (3 years ago) the results were night and day - incredibly deep blacks. I went to extremes on this model (PB5600) and got only minimal change. Wasn't even able to get pixel misfires so most things are full tilt one direction or the other. Not sure it was the worth the effort/risk but it did improve some. Overall I'm happy with the set (especially for the price) but disappointed in the black levels. Hope this helps someone else.

If this is my first time doing a panel tweaks -- is it even worth it?