LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks. - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1441 of 1470 Old 07-09-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I suggest you look here:
ISF Calibrators, where are you located? Please post here!

And if you don't find anyone nearby, post your request here.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/

Have fun,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1470 Old 10-22-2015, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am curious, does performing a tweak such as this reduce the lifespan of the panel or make it more prone to being damaged?
post #1443 of 1470 Old 10-22-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 1312 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
post #1444 of 1470 Old 10-23-2015, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I did the tweak with the help of an oscilloscope, so I could see the waveform I was adjusting. I still put one pot at its extreme, but the other got to a reasonable timing with range remaining. I haven't seen any issues, nor did my calibrator at ~600 hrs. after the tweak ( if memory serves).

HAve fun,
Frank
post #1445 of 1470 Old 10-23-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
I haven't seen any issues, nor did my calibrator at ~600 hrs. after the tweak ( if memory serves).

HAve fun,
Frank
Correct!

Dave Hancock
post #1446 of 1470 Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi,

I have the 60PB5600 and had a few quick questions:
* Does anyone have the optimal picture setting for this model?
* Does anyone know the key sequence to get into the service mode menu to see how many hours have been used on the screen? I was able to get into the "Installation Menu" but this does not indicate the information I am looking for.
* Does anyone know if it is possible to update the firmware on the model and what the newest version is? My installation menu version is v2.6 if it helps
* I am using Expert1 expert mode and" Real Cinema" is grayed out when using HDMI. Pressing info shows "1080p @ 60Hz", but I have a feeling the signal being sent is not 1080p. Is this why this is happening? On Component it is not grayed out.

Many thanks!!!
post #1447 of 1470 Old 05-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E---Man View Post
Hi,

* Does anyone know the key sequence to get into the service mode menu to see how many hours have been used on the screen? I was able to get into the "Installation Menu" but this does not indicate the information I am looking for.
* Does anyone know if it is possible to update the firmware on the model and what the newest version is? My installation menu version is v2.6 if it helps
* I am using Expert1 expert mode and" Real Cinema" is grayed out when using HDMI. Pressing info shows "1080p @ 60Hz", but I have a feeling the signal being sent is not 1080p. Is this why this is happening? On Component it is not grayed out.

Many thanks!!!
Update on a couple of my questions above. I was able to get into the "EZ Adjust menu" which showed the "Module ROM Version" as "60R6_4DA1D0". I was unable to get any information on this anywhere.

Is this the newest version? Am I in the correct place and is there another Service Menu besides the EZ Adjust menu? Not sure if Module ROM version is synonymous for the firmware
post #1448 of 1470 Old 05-04-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks!!!
Look up the ITU standard BT1886. This specifies how to optimize picture quality. The first thing you must do is measure the display, because every display is different. The measurements input to a formula that defines optimized settings. See the top of this page for what to do (how to get it calibrated).

Hours used in my 6600 is found in Menu/Support/Product/Service Info. I don't see it in my 5600.

I get updated automatically on the 6600 (networked). Current level is 04.03.06, with nothing new available. Can't say I've noticed changes due to the upgrades. No obvious upgrade path for the 5600, so I expect a USB-style path.

In Expert 1, through HDMI, Real Cinema is available on both 6600 and 5600.

Have fun,
Frank
post #1449 of 1470 Old 05-05-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Update on a couple of my questions above. I was able to get into the "EZ Adjust menu" which showed the "Module ROM Version" as "60R6_4DA1D0". I was unable to get any information on this anywhere.

Is this the newest version? Am I in the correct place and is there another Service Menu besides the EZ Adjust menu? Not sure if Module ROM version is synonymous for the firmware
Quote:
Look up the ITU standard BT1886. This specifies how to optimize picture quality. The first thing you must do is measure the display, because every display is different. The measurements input to a formula that defines optimized settings. See the top of this page for what to do (how to get it calibrated).

Hours used in my 6600 is found in Menu/Support/Product/Service Info. I don't see it in my 5600.

I get updated automatically on the 6600 (networked). Current level is 04.03.06, with nothing new available. Can't say I've noticed changes due to the upgrades. No obvious upgrade path for the 5600, so I expect a USB-style path.

Have fun,
Frank
Hi Frank thanks for replying. I do not have a "Support" sub-menu under menu but was able to find this information within the Service Menu. In the Service menu there is an option to upgrade firmware but none exist for the 5600 as far as I can tell.

The reason is any to update the firmware is mainly due to HDMI negotiation issues - this model has a very hard time connecting over HDMI. It is EXTREMELY hard to get the TV to recognize anything whatsoever which is extremely frustrating. Other TV's including LG TV's recognize the same devices whereas this one does not. It sometimes takes hours just to get it to connect and that is only for one of my devices, the other ones don't even get recognized. Maybe it's an EDID issue. Service menu has an EDID option to toggle between PCM or AC3. Currently it's on PCM and it says "OK". Switching to AC3 causes "fail".
Quote:

Quote:

Have fun,
Frank
post #1450 of 1470 Old 05-05-2016, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hi Frank thanks for replying. I do not have a "Support" sub-menu under menu but was able to find this information within the Service Menu. ...
How did you get in to this sub-menu?
post #1451 of 1470 Old 05-05-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
How did you get in to this sub-menu?
Hi fbov please read again I do not have a "Support" sub-menu but did get into the service menu. Do you have this model also? If so, how do you overcome HDMI issues?

Also did you update the firmware?
post #1452 of 1470 Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

What part of "how did you get in" don't you understand?
post #1453 of 1470 Old 05-06-2016, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should ask the correct question you mean to ask as apposed to being ambiguous. I clearly advised in my post I do NOT have a "sub-menu" entitled "Support" to which you asked, "how did you get into this 'sub-menu'". Perhaps u are referring to the "service menu"?
post #1454 of 1470 Old 05-06-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should ask the correct question you mean to ask as apposed to being ambiguous. I clearly advised in my post I do NOT have a "sub-menu" entitled "Support" to which you asked, "how did you get into this 'sub-menu'". Perhaps u are referring to the "service menu"?
Anyway, I used the service remote IR Blaster method to get into the "service menu"
post #1455 of 1470 Old 05-06-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Update:

Since March my panel appears to be strung out after six years of use. I can't achieve nearly as good mll as before without getting serious artifacts. Artifacts in that way, that darker shades of any color are too slow to wake up the black pixels at once. They lag. If there is a panning shot in a dark enviroment for example, black hair of people pans along the room.

Two columns came to the end of their life seven months ago. Should be able to repair with the exchange of the responsible driving board.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #1456 of 1470 Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Apparently all of it.

You got into the service menu, I ask how you did it, and you claim you told me you didn't get in, then post a proper response.

I don't play games; please enjoy playing this one by yourself.
post #1457 of 1470 Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I wonder if I can do this on the Vizio 32" VP322 which uses an LG panel? Perhaps I can do something about the bad IR with these controls too.

Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Panasonic P50ST60 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Vizio VP322 Plasma
Sony S790 BD / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2 (Ver. 3)
Oppo 983H Anchor Bay VRS / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis / Oppo 970HD MediaTek
Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS
post #1458 of 1470 Old 05-12-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Hi, anyone?
post #1459 of 1470 Old 05-31-2016, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
how do they compare to other brands?
post #1460 of 1470 Old 06-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Just did this on my LG plasma. Black level previously measured an absolutely awful 0.2cd/m2. Adjusted set up, set dn and VY. Havent remeasured black yet but wow it looks like a completely different TV. Very pleased.
post #1461 of 1470 Old 06-05-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I'd like to put my settings back to default. How do I figure this out for set up, set dn and VY? Does anyone know?
post #1462 of 1470 Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Nemesis View Post
I'd like to put my settings back to default. How do I figure this out for set up, set dn and VY? Does anyone know?
As far as I know the positions would be different on each set. I took photos of the original positions of mine. Is there a reason you'd like to put back to their original positions?
post #1463 of 1470 Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Just did this on my LG plasma. Black level previously measured an absolutely awful 0.2cd/m2. Adjusted set up, set dn and VY. Havent remeasured black yet but wow it looks like a completely different TV. Very pleased.
To expand on that - I was able to turn set up and set dn fully clockswise, and VY fully counter-clockwise. There are no pixel mis-fires (that I can see), from cold or when the set has been on for hours. Set up had the most dramatic influence on black level. Set dn and VY both had a much smaller effect but combined the effect is noticeable. I can maybe see more noise in bright areas but I'm not sure if it was like that before. Either way, from a usual watching position the noise is not noticeable and a small price to pay for the better black.

For anyone suffering the abysmal black level of an LG plasma and is still sitting on the fence about whether to do this, I say give it a go. If you take pictures of the dials before you start you can put everything back as it was anyway. Took me all of 45 minutes to do the entire procedure.
post #1464 of 1470 Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
As far as I know the positions would be different on each set. I took photos of the original positions of mine. Is there a reason you'd like to put back to their original positions?
Hi, I'm noticing noise in the picture now. Maybe I Just need to adjust one setting instead? Any recommendations? I should have done what you did and taken a picture of the default settings.
post #1465 of 1470 Old 06-06-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Hi, I'm noticing noise in the picture now. Maybe I Just need to adjust one setting instead? Any recommendations? I should have done what you did and taken a picture of the default settings.

Hey, what pots did you turn? Where is the noise, is it in darker areas or in brighter areas? It might just be a simple case of fine tuning what you have done. I wouldn't be able to go back to default now I don't think, black was awful on my TV before the tweaks.
post #1466 of 1470 Old 06-06-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Hey, what pots did you turn? Where is the noise, is it in darker areas or in brighter areas? It might just be a simple case of fine tuning what you have done. I wouldn't be able to go back to default now I don't think, black was awful on my TV before the tweaks.
I adjusted the Set Up, Set Dn, VA and VY but I completely forget how I set them. The noise is noticeable in the darker parts of the picture.
post #1467 of 1470 Old 08-15-2016, 03:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Finally got around to doing this, and it has turned my blacks, from dark grey to mid black - much better, particularly when a significant area of the screen is meant to black (letterbox bars and upwards). On my 60PB690, I was able to turn set up and set dn fully clockwise, and VY fully counter-clockwise, with no noticeable issues in the picture.
post #1468 of 1470 Old 08-15-2016, 03:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I adjusted the Set Up, Set Dn, VA and VY but I completely forget how I set them. The noise is noticeable in the darker parts of the picture.
X-Nemesis, if it helps, these were the settings on my 60PB690 before I tweaked them;

Set Up about '10 to the hour'
Set Down about '5 past the hour'
VY about '25 past the hour'
post #1469 of 1470 Old 08-16-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyes View Post
X-Nemesis, if it helps, these were the settings on my 60PB690 before I tweaked them;

Set Up about '10 to the hour'
Set Down about '5 past the hour'
VY about '25 past the hour'
Wow, I wasn't expecting any answer at all to my question so THANKS for giving me something to start from. Although it's a different TV, I'll try those settings and see how it goes.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to give me those numbers.
post #1470 of 1470 Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as I know, you can still review the early pages that tell you how to do everything...
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays