LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks. - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1471 of 1476 Old 10-06-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Is there some way to "adjust the pots" to improve image retention issues? I have a Vizio VP322 which uses an LG panel with horrendous temporary image retention.

Thanks.

Epson 8350 / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Samsung 51F8500 / Panasonic P50ST60 / Vizio P502ui-B1E / Sony 50W700B
Sony S790 / Panasonic BDT-220 / Roku 2 XS & Roku 2
Sony NT5 / Samsung F550 / Speakercraft CS3 / Yamaha YAS-105
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1476 Old 11-27-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thumbs up

Six or so year old 60PK950 had the HDMI connections go out, so while I had the back off fixing that, I ran this black level tweak.

It's an amazing improvement and will tide me over until I feel its time to go OLED.
I only adjusted Set_UP and Set_DN. Sort of followed the logic of the last instructions in the first post. So it wound up I put Set_UP fully clockwise and starting Set_DN at fully clockwise, I turned Set_DN Counter Clockwise until the noise/misfires subsided.
I used color bars, 100% white, and other test patterns to verify it didn't mess anything up, but full black was the best pattern for setting Set_DN.

In case you're interested I fixed the HDMI issue by using a heat gun WITHOUT removing the board from the TV. I heated just the HDMI chip to 250-300 degrees for 2 minutes.

Happy Camper! Thanks all for the valuable info!
post #1473 of 1476 Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am pleased seeing I am not the only one with one of those ol' LG plasmas.

I got a used 60PK250 one a few days ago....and needless to say I am now burning to try this out

post #1474 of 1476 Old 01-15-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georg Rauh View Post
I am pleased seeing I am not the only one with one of those ol' LG plasmas.

I got a used 60PK250 one a few days ago....and needless to say I am now burning to try this out

I have had one of those for the last 5 years - nice set and no issues at all.
post #1475 of 1476 Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I haven’t dropped in for some time, needless to say since starting this thread my PX950 is still chugging away since 2011, after daily use maintaining its wonderful black levels and color, could almost swear it’s gotten better over time, my brother's Panasonic appears to have lightened up.
Well what brought me here…another adventure stirred up my interest in black levels, a newly acquired Epson Home Cinema 1440 projector…with a default light lumens at 4400 got a lot of work a head…. no amount of tweaking the 1440 will change the levels, only room treatment (light control) and the proper screen.

Shots taken in the afternoon with semi translucent blinds closed, projected on a flat matte white wall......so we’ve got plasma blacks vs screen size….
Now to start a new thread.

Lights out (night)

Robert
Toronto, Ontario

Last edited by rob80b; 01-31-2017 at 02:09 PM.
post #1476 of 1476 Old 02-06-2017, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wanted to provide an update to my tweaked LG PA6500.

I already had them tweaked before but didn't really want to push it

Decided to unmount it and cut a hole around where the voltage pots were for easy access and adjustability. Not sure if the number of hours on the panel changed its tolerance somehow, but I was able to adjust STEP_UP all the way clockwise now without pixel misfires and the blacks deepened by quite a bit. Next, I turned STEP_DOWN all clock-wise and predictably, the screen went berserk, but the blacks deepened even further. I backed down barely from this until the misfires were only barely apparent on close inspection (not all the way to the way I had it before).

The result is WOW!! I didn't think LG panels could get this black. I put it side-by-side next to my Panasonic S60, no slouch in black levels itself, and I would've never believed it, but it makes the S60's blacks look gray in comparison. The inkiness and depth is outstanding.

A couple of side-effects. It takes like a minute and a half on a cold startup to get to the panel's full contrast. Also on a screen with no signal such as the LG logo with a black screen with no inputs, the noise, pixel mis-fires run rampant across the screen, but if content actually calls for an all-black screen like on a blu-ray, those misfires are gone. Strange.

Regardless, I feel this is a small price to pay for the blacks I'm getting. Very happy that I breathed new life into my plasma until I buy an OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page