LG Plasma Panel tweaks for better blacks. - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Soon as I get a second pair of eyes and some help taking it off the wall, will follow with the results. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Ok before attempting my PX950 I just completed the adjustments on my PG25 from 2008, on a scale of 10, black scenes and the bars when watching letter box were about 6 in terms of contrast ratio, after the adjustments I’d give it a solid 8 in terms of what’s currently available.
The set_up was adjusted clockwise almost to max, by holding a mirror in front I backed off until green pixels in the darkest areas were eliminated, the VY was adjusted counter clockwise just a tad, again using the mirror to see the rise of any unwanted noise.
Last I adjusted the VA on the power supply board clockwise (seemed to work better than counter clockwise), also turning the VA fully clockwise or counter clockwise shut down the set, so I just turned it back a notch, then readjusted the Set_up a bit further clockwise, so far so good.

It’s a nice improvement over the stock settings but still a touch higher in MLL than the PX950 which I’ve yet to adjust.
Also I should point out that both my PX950 and PG25 both exhibit really nice blacks in brighter movies and not all movies with dark scenes are problematic, but The Thief and Harry Potter were used in adjusting the MLL as they appeared less satisfying.
As the current sets are already much better than the PG25 I'm really looking forward to adjusting the PX, but like Jimdish I need help getting it off the wall.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #153 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM

Liked: 12
this thread and the posts make me appreciate my Kuro 500m ever more
post #154 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasie View Post

making me want a LG.
.003-.004 mll is damn good. first Kuro good.
as far as your kuro, yup.....but you did not pay LG prices.

Loving D65
post #155 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWldLif View Post

making me want a LG.
.003-.004 mll is damn good. first Kuro good.
as far as your kuro, yup.....but you did not pay LG prices.

I did! Since I can't talk about pricing, i'll give a range. $1000 to $1479
post #156 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasie View Post

And so it should seeing all three manufactures, well 2 at least are trying to dethrone the king.

Should point out while I'm at it, adjusting the overall APL also increased the overall picture quality and not just darker scenes.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #157 of 1400 Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

And so it should seeing all three manufactures, well 2 at least are trying to dethrone the king.

Should point out while I'm at it, adjusting the overall APL also increased the overall picture quality and not just darker scenes.

Totally agree. Couldn't be happier. Very much looking forward to the 60 inch version come Xmas time.
post #158 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 AM

Don't know of pots related or not, but noticing white sporadic dots only on Comedy Central (Verizon FIOS Tampa area) and tried to see if could remove while tweaking like mad but to no avail. Could it be the source or voltage higher on that channel (forgive my non-tekie talk) or something?? I never noticed before the pots tweak so again hard to tell.
It's not a channel that I watch often, but does concern me if can cause some damage short or long term.

I'm at the point of no return, not that I want to anyways because the pics are awesome on my 60PZ950, but because I couldn't start from scratch to see If def a pots tweak related issue or not.
post #159 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Voz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob80b View Post

Last I adjusted the VA on the power supply board clockwise (seemed to work better than counter clockwise), also turning the VA fully clockwise or counter clockwise shut down the set, so I just turned it back a notch, then readjusted the Set_up a bit further clockwise, so far so good.

Nice! So adjusting VA provided more headroom for Set-Up?
post #160 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 04:50 AM

Sorry, is there any news in the equivalent for 2011 Samsungs?
post #161 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derod68 View Post

Don't know of pots related or not, but noticing white sporadic dots only on Comedy Central (Verizon FIOS Tampa area) and tried to see if could remove while tweaking like mad but to no avail. Could it be the source or voltage higher on that channel (forgive my non-tekie talk) or something?? I never noticed before the pots tweak so again hard to tell.
It's not a channel that I watch often, but does concern me if can cause some damage short or long term.

I'm at the point of no return, not that I want to anyways because the pics are awesome on my 60PZ950, but because I couldn't start from scratch to see If def a pots tweak related issue or not.

Hi derod

I also noticed some sporadic white dots; the PG25 is only hooked up to an Apple TV2 for Netflix and other streaming, but looking at a Vimeo flic with a lot of black I noticed the white specs (dots), yet other similar dark films showed no aberrations at all.
Not too sure if it is the Set_up or the VA adjustment, my gut feeling says it's the VA on the power supply as I have it adjusted just short of turning off the set.
I’ll have to do some more viewing to see if it bothers me enough to tweak everything over again, or just leave it.
Glad I’m practicing on the PG25 and not the PX950, which is wall mounted, otherwise it would be a real pain.
Still it’s nice to revive my 2008 PG25, went though a lot of movie trailers on Apple's site just before and after the tweaks and can say I definitely appreciate the better black levels.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #162 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voz View Post

Nice! So adjusting VA provided more headroom for Set-Up?

For the time being if your currently satisfied I might leave the VA alone as each panel has been designated an upper and lower voltage for correct operation by LG.
The Set_up adjustment is the most important and the easiest to dial in, just advance it clockwise to max, check the blacks for any anomalies such as floating blotches of dark green pixels and increased noise, then slowing turn it counter clockwise until there is smooth dithering and no noise, results will vary.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, ideally a scope and voltage meter would greatly assist in achieving the best results if one were to adjust the other settings for an even better MLL as there are too many variables .

To re-quote Turrican once more.

"This is what you might get with the seven pots, if you set it too much clockwise or counterclockwise:

VZB____: noise (clockwise) or dullness (counterclockwise)
Vs_____: noisy whites/pixelmissfires (clockwise) or dullness/extreme pixelmissfires (counterclockwise)
VA_____: none obvious erros but possible pixelmissfires with static fullgreen screen (clockwise)
VSC____: None obvious errors or artifacts
Vy_____: noise/less MLL (clockwise) or better MLL (counterclockwise)
Set_Up_: pixelmissfires/better MLL (clockwise) or bad MLL (counterclockwise)
Set_Dn_: noise/better MLL (clockwise) or bad MLL"

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #163 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just an update after tweaking the PG25, while watching a few clips with static white noticed that there are now red pixels dancing in the lower left and right corners, love the black level but I'll have to dial back some of the adjustments.
Haven't touch the VS pot, Turrican mentioned "Vs_____: noisy whites/pixelmissfires (clockwise)" maybe that will help and report back.

Robert
Toronto, Ontario
post #164 of 1400 Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My TV measures .02 ftl after the change. Far from a Kuro killer, but still a respectable 1960 ANSI contrast ratio!
post #165 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

My TV measures .02 ftl after the change. Far from a Kuro killer, but still a respectable 1960 ANSI contrast ratio!

How do you measure that?
post #166 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

How do you measure that?

ChromaPure software and a Xrite display 3 meter...
post #167 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess numbers don't lie, but 0.2 seems waaaaaaay off. Like Pre-mod levels of a bad set. I mean Chad B measured 0.0132 on a pk550 and I'm quite certain he didn't touch the pots.
post #168 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My LG 50PK540 didn't have much room if any at all for adjustments. The Set Up POT was no where near maxed out and barely turning it clockwise produced major static noise on bright/full white areas. I'm using a HTPC as the source and contrast set to 100. Anyway, I might of gained a 'tad' darker blacks, but I wasn't unhappy with the blacks before. If I could have a choice of what to tweak with this display it would be the slight color shift in the low IRE otherwise everything else looks peachy to me.

Now too bad that there wasn't some adjustments like this to counter-act some reports of overly aggressive ABL a lot of people are complaining about. My first 50PK540 dimmed and brightened so noticeably bad that it also made the colors shift very bad. It also made text on this site blend into the background and nearly impossible to read (dimming). Luckily my second 50PK540 had more normal ABL and this wasn't an issue but I'm currently looking into getting a 60PV450 but all the complaining about the dimming has me too worried to take the plunge, especially with Sears' crappy return policy (14day/restocking fee). If Sams Club with their 90 day no questions return policy where selling the LG's like they where last year, I'd take the gamble. Is there any internal adjustments to counter-act some screens that have too aggressive ABL out of the box?
post #169 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

I guess numbers don't lie, but 0.2 seems waaaaaaay off. Like Pre-mod levels of a bad set. I mean Chad B measured 0.0132 on a pk550 and I'm quite certain he didn't touch the pots.

I was hoping for .01x, but the numbers are what they are. I'll post calibration reports once I dial in the gamma.

My set has 2000+ hours, so I might need to get back in and adjust more pots than the set up...
post #170 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 AM
slb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Are you sure that the units are ftL and not cd/m²?
post #171 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post

Are you sure that the units are ftL and not cd/m²?

Yes, .06 CD/m2
post #172 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Little word of advice before attaching back panel back on after pots tweak...

Please make sure you have checked all sources i.e. cable/sat receiver, PS3/Xbox or any gaming, BluRay/DVD, and even 3D on Movie AND Gaming consoles. Also, TV menu, and quick menu along with every channel.

All may look swell (Little Rascals word ) when all of a sudden you'll notice some red pixels, lines, artifacts, etc., on a less frequently used source and you'll have to take off again to re-tweak.

The screws on mine may have worn just a bit thinking I was done without checking EVERY single source. Especially black ops 3D.

As bhazard and a few have posted, it does take a while and you have to be very patient.

Peace
post #173 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Little word of advice before attaching back panel back on after pots tweak...

Please make sure you have checked all sources i.e. cable/sat receiver, PS3/Xbox or any gaming, BluRay/DVD, and even 3D on Movie AND Gaming consoles. Also, TV menu, and quick menu along with every channel.

All may look swell (Little Rascals word ) when all of a sudden you'll notice some red pixels, lines, artifacts, etc., on a less frequently used source and you'll have to take off again to re-tweak.

The screws on mine may have worn just a bit thinking I was done without checking EVERY single source. Especially black ops 3D.

As bhazard and a few have posted, it does take a while and you have to be very patient.

Peace

Or you could just drill holes in the back panel where the POTs are and be able to make adjusts without removing the panel.
post #174 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:

You really measured ANSI at 1960 with a .02 fL black? You actually measured the checkerboard (not a window, the checkerboard, which is 50% of screen area) at nearly 40 fL?

touring calibrator
Jeti 1211

Latest reviews:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #175 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had to readjust the pots. Was getting random white pixel misfires. Most noticeably on dark knight, seemed like source dependent. VY and Set_Down back to factory position and moved the set_up couple notches up. Blacks are light once again. *sigh*
post #176 of 1400 Old 11-25-2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emig5m View Post

Or you could just drill holes in the back panel where the POTs are and be able to make adjusts without removing the panel.

Too funny!! Think warranty would be voided?? LOL
post #177 of 1400 Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I had to readjust the pots. Was getting random white pixel misfires. Most noticeably on dark knight, seemed like source dependent. VY and Set_Down back to factory position and moved the set_up couple notches up. Blacks are light once again. *sigh*

Sometimes maximum stability is better than maximum performance. I think I'm going to leave my brand new 60PV450 alone as it seems some people just have to wind up adjusting theirs back to default. My blacks are a little on the light side too on my brand new 60PV450, my PK540 was probably a tad darker but, I don't feel like going through the process just to waste the time to wind up putting it back (just like what happened with my PK540)

Quote:

Too funny!! Think warranty would be voided?? LOL

Nah... Warranty's all good! Just extra vent holes, they'll never know!
post #178 of 1400 Old 11-26-2011, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I did try for months just with the set up and set down but couldn't get the black level as I want, they where still grey..the problem was that everytime I try it to lower the set down there was a lot of crazy dancing pixels on a black screen, but now that I try this setting wow no dancing pixels and real deep black levels now I can see every single detail on the darkest parts of avatar.

"Va" full throttle clockwise

Vy full throttle counterclockwise

"Set_Up" clockwise

turn "Set_Dn" clockwise untill you get pixelmissfires. Turn a microamount counterclockwise untill you dont' get new pixelmissfires.

LG 60PK550 in 24p

I want to add that I did exactly the above setup but the Set_Up at full throttle clockwise

This doesn't really judge how beautiful the black levels looks in person,but you can get an idea.

LL

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos play:1 for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos play 1 surrounds.
post #179 of 1400 Old 11-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Voz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

If I understand the whole thing correctly you can adjust VA on the PSU board to provide more headroom for Set_Up (see #152 for example).
post #180 of 1400 Old 11-26-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post

I did try for months just with the set up and set down but couldn't get the black level as I want, they where still grey..the problem was that everytime I try it to lower the set down there was a lot of crazy dancing pixels on a black screen, but now that I try this setting wow no dancing pixels and real deep black levels now I can see every single detail on the darkest parts of avatar.

"Va" full throttle clockwise

Vy full throttle counterclockwise

"Set_Up" clockwise

turn "Set_Dn" clockwise untill you get pixelmissfires. Turn a microamount counterclockwise untill you dont' get new pixelmissfires.

These are the exact settings I use with awesome results. The set down is the one that threw me for a loop a number of times. Not many here are using the 4 pot,s from what I can see, and sticking with just 2 with great results also, but I just went for Turrican4D's instructions since that seems to give more headroom for set_up.
AVATAR is the Goto movie for me...thanks HBO ONDEMAND, to really see the benefits of the tweak IMHO.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page