Panasonic ST30 42in Gaming Calibration Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, first off the panny st30 is epic i mean its amazing and me and my family love how it looks and it out performs any tv we have ever had.

But besides all that. I game pretty much all the time, and most games are FPS, and well there is the common issue known as "Input Lag" with tv's. Plasmas are usually on the better end and as i have heard with this tv, it ranks at 16ms which is good i guess. Idk if my eyes are keen to it, but i notice some lag in games, like in the new modern warfare i tested it out on my Tube tv which is not high def and i felt very smooth and responsive i did two games, and i had a much higher kill to death ration which doesn't really matter. But then i did it on my panasonic and it was not all the same, i was kinda even with my KTD and it felt responsive but not as smooth kinda felt like i had a 2 pound wrist weight on my wrists. I also have game mode enabled and have all the settings under menu for picture quality and sound turned off the same for advanced settings in picture settings. So idk what else i need to do, is there more possibilitys for calibration that i can do to make it even more responsive or lower the calibration.

I did alot of research online and no one has seemed to bring this up. Most people seem to praise the tv, and i my self do praise the tv. I owned a sammy 40in LCD rite before i got this tv and i traded in that one. It was so horrible it was like 10 pound wrist weights lol. So idk if its just something im experienceing because im so used to a Tube tv and how responsive they are.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, please share. I would be greatfull, and thank you in advanced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 AM

Hello my friend. I know exactly what are you talking about. I have 42st30 and its fantastic but it just has small input lag wich is not good for me. I will rather play on my 22 inch monitor wich is lag free. Heres what i found. My ST30 for some reason have less lag on Normal mode than on Game mode so i prefer Normal mode and 1080i hdmi setting. That gives best result for me. My cosoles are set to 60hz so i can not test input lag on 50hz setting. On 50hz setting when you sellect game mod picture goes black than it comes on and on 60hz when you sellect game mod it only changes colour sheme. I also think that lag is more than 16ms so if there is any setting or somethin we can do to reduce it would be great.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
To be clear: nothing will make any fixed pixel HD display perform like a CRT in terms of latency (which is why I keep a KDS 17" monitor around...). However, the lag on panasonic's displays is barely perceivable if you follow a few simple setup tips.

Make sure your console is outputting at 1080p and/or "optimal resolution" (which should still be 1080p). Also check your "HD size" adjustment under "aspect adjustments" and make sure it's set to "size 2". Lastly, make sure you're playing in "GAME" mode as that setting will give you the least latency. Report back if these settings helped.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #4 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I use Cinema and Size 1 w/ pixel orbiter while gaming and have no issues at all, including online first and third person shooters.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

To be clear: nothing will make any fixed pixel HD display perform like a CRT in terms of latency (which is why I keep a KDS 17" monitor around...). However, the lag on panasonic's displays is barely perceivable if you follow a few simple setup tips.

Make sure your console is outputting at 1080p and/or "optimal resolution" (which should still be 1080p). Also check your "HD size" adjustment under "aspect adjustments" and make sure it's set to "size 2". Lastly, make sure you're playing in "GAME" mode as that setting will give you the least latency. Report back if these settings helped.

Thanks for quick reply. I will try that. Could you be more detailed where to find that aspect ratio size option i cant seem to find it. I bouth this tv especialy for gaming because its smallest lag tv out there but it just not enaugh for me. It seems that game mode only chages colour sheme. Lag is same for me in all mods no difference. Maybe my set is faulty. And one more question do you use 50hz or 60hz display setting on console?
post #6 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I use Cinema and Size 1 w/ pixel orbiter while gaming and have no issues at all, including online first and third person shooters.

Cinema with overscan on will give you roughly 30-40ms of latency. Still way lower than most competing displays in their respective "game" modes. But "game" with overscan off is the only way I know to drop below 20ms of lag (at least on the S/ST models). If the OP is experiencing lag in ANY mode on a Panasonic I believe that this shows he's sensitive to it, in which case the settings I posted above will help him to realize the least latency available to him.

--Carl Sagan
post #7 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schumi065 View Post

Thanks for quick reply. I will try that. Could you be more detailed where to find that aspect ratio size option i cant seem to find it. I bouth this tv especialy for gaming because its smallest lag tv out there but it just not enaugh for me. It seems that game mode only chages colour sheme. Lag is same for me in all mods no difference. Maybe my set is faulty. And one more question do you use 50hz or 60hz display setting on console?

Aspect adjustments is found in any of the picture modes when you scroll down past sharpness.

I believe you have a euro display? As far as I know the US models don't offer the 50hz option. The 50hz question and your spelling of 'color' gives you away.

My display is a US model 50s30, but I have access to a 60st30 and 55gt30 if you need any other help.

--Carl Sagan
post #8 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:

Aspect adjustments is found in any of the picture modes when you scroll down past sharpness.

I believe you have a euro display? As far as I know the US models don't offer the 50hz option. The 50hz question and your spelling of 'color' gives you away.

My display is a US model 50s30, but I have access to a 60st30 and 55gt30 if you need any other help.

Thanks alot for your help. Yes you caught me, tv i have is european version I will try some aditional setting later and report results. Is aspect ratio setting and overscan setting same thing?
post #9 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks alot for your help. Yes you caught me, tv i have is european version I will try some aditional setting later and report results. Is aspect ratio setting and overscan setting same thing?

Yes. Sorry, here in the US they just call it "HD size", the actual adjustment is for overscan. Make sure overscan is off. You can test for this with pretty much any display calibration disk as it's a fairly common pattern. Without a disk simply stare at the image while adjusting between the two settings and select the one that appears 'zoomed out'. Doing so will insure that your display isn't doing any re-sizing of the image which can introduce lag and other display artifacts. In other words, it engages a 1:1 pixel mapping.

--Carl Sagan
post #10 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Yes. Sorry, here in the US they just call it "HD size", the actual adjustment is for overscan. Make sure overscan is off. You can test for this with pretty much any display calibration disk as it's a fairly common pattern. Without a disk simply stare at the image while adjusting between the two settings and select the one that appears 'zoomed out'. Doing so will insure that your display isn't doing any re-sizing of the image which can introduce lag and other display artifacts. In other words, it engages a 1:1 pixel mapping.

Thanks a lot friend. I will report my results later. Is there any difference wich hdmi port i am using or its all the same?
post #11 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a lot friend. I will report my results later. Is there any difference wich hdmi port i am using or its all the same?

Shouldn't matter. I believe the only manufacturer where that's an issue is Samsung and ONLY because their "PC mode" is only able to be engaged on hdmi 1. For Panasonic, it's all the same.

Hopefully this helps!

--Carl Sagan
post #12 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked: 11
Does Size 2 disable pixel orbiter?
post #13 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^No, so you will see minor black bars if you leave the orbiter on.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Could the bars lead to uneven aging?
post #15 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Nope and they are tiny, for gaming/blurays/netflix I leave it on 2 but for cable I leave it on 1.
post #16 of 21 Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 PM

Great. Thanks guys or gals.
post #17 of 21 Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:

Thanks alot for help my friend. This tv is just not good enough for me. All over the net you can read how this tv is great for gaming the best you can get and so on. It is not good for hard core gamers and it will affect your performanse in game big time. Only game i play is MW3 and other COD titles and the gun feels so heavy and its very difficult to hit target far away or quickscope. I will make some proof photos of input lag with stopwathch and my log free monitor. Did anyone else actualy measure input lag on this tv? For me it seems that best response i get on 1080i and on Normal mode, even bether than on Game mod. I will measure this and report results.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

You do not need to put it in game mode, just make sure all enchancement settings are off in whatever mode your using.
post #19 of 21 Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks alot for help my friend. This tv is just not good enough for me. All over the net you can read how this tv is great for gaming the best you can get and so on. It is not good for hard core gamers and it will affect your performanse in game big time. Only game i play is MW3 and other COD titles and the gun feels so heavy and its very difficult to hit target far away or quickscope. I will make some proof photos of input lag with stopwathch and my log free monitor. Did anyone else actualy measure input lag on this tv? For me it seems that best response i get on 1080i and on Normal mode, even bether than on Game mod. I will measure this and report results.

I only measure by my 1st place finishes, which are numerous.
post #20 of 21 Old 02-29-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoltz View Post

I only measure by my 1st place finishes, which are numerous.

Glad for you buddy. I am not going to play on this tv Guess im just to spoiled with lag free monitors
post #21 of 21 Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure you don't have a slow turn controller?

Not sure what else to tell you-- only the sharp sets with their "viper drive" and a few of the cheaper Samsung plasmas can hang with the panasonics. Even the very best gaming monitors (lcd) usually exhibit ~20 ms of lag!

Anyways... Good luck!

--Carl Sagan
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page