Another which TV thread :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I know there are probably a ton of these. But I'm pressed for time being very busy at work.

Trying to help my dad get a new TV. He has about a $600 credit from Best Buy because his old one crapped out and couldn't be repaired. I'm trying to convince him to get a plasma and I think he's going to go for it.

So I've sort of narrowed it down based on the price range we're looking, ~$1500.

Panny 50ST30 $900-ish (It's on sale, BB doesn't give price)
Panny 55ST30 $1100-ish (It's on sale, BB doesn't give price)
Panny 50GT30 $1200

Sammy 51D7000 $1400

So one of my main questions is - "Is the GT30 that much better than the ST30?" Does it justify the cost. There's also a 55GT30 for about $1600, but I think that's really more than he wants to spend. I think we'd be more in the $1000-$1200 range.

So with that what do you guys think? Go bigger with the 55ST30? Or slightly smaller with the better 50GT30?

I wouldn't be so concerned with the size. I believe he'll be sitting around 8ft away, max 9ft.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:40 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Unless your dad is an enthusiast, it's not likely that he'd benefit from the few additional features that the GT30 has over the ST30 to warrant the higher price (see the first post in the Official GT30 thread). He should be plenty happy with a bigger ST30 - i just set up a 60ST30 for my friend and he's blown away by the improvement over his 5-year-old Pioneer plasma. The GT30 will look virtually identical since it has the exact same plasma panel and anti-reflective filter as the ST30.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Go to Best Buy today (Wed 11-23) and ask them to price match the Target price of $999 for the 55ST30. They will not price match after today because of the Black Friday holiday sales. And the Target price ends Sun, so Wed is the only day remaining to ask BB to price match.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input Randy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Go to Best Buy today (Wed 11-23) and ask them to price match the Target price of $999 for the 55ST30. They will not price match after today because of the Black Friday holiday sales. And the Target price ends Sun, so Wed is the only day remaining to ask BB to price match.

Is this price at Target listed anywhere? Couldn't find it. Does Best Buy ask you for anything, flyer, printout, in order to price match?

Thanks.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 11
the biggest thing for me for the st30 to gt30 was styling.. i just simply didn't like the bezel of the st30.. the better black level performance and slimmer look of the gt30 made it worth it for me.. not sure how your dad would fare on that issue though..

i'm looking at these as well, but will probably lean towards the gt30.. still not sure though as the lg 55lw5600 has also caught my eye with passive 3d and great reviews.. i'm currently between (prices on amazon):

55lw5600 - $1365
tc-p55gt30 - $1458
pn51d7000 - $1280

I really love the d7000 but have always had qc issues with samsung in the past.. could just be my luck though.. that and i'm trying to accept a 4" smaller screen (would love to afford the 59"). still really like that one for the price (great pq imho)..

any other thoughts from others out there between these? will probably be picking up over black friday as well..
post #6 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 AM

dang... so it's between the lw5600 and gt30.. same price as far as i'm concerned, and both have great reviews.. having such a hard time between going with plasma vs led in this one as well as the active/passive 3d.. I checked out the passive on the lg and at 8-10 feet away the scanlines felt completely imperceptible to me.. really liking that option.. still haven't found anywhere to be able to see panny's active 3d in these sets to compare but my experience in the past with shutter glasses have not been good.

man.. even neglecting the 3d aspect.. really having a tough time deciding on the 2d quality of these two panels.. both look great but edge lit led makes me a bit nervous despite the local dimming.. i dunno, i'm completely back and forth on this one..

please help avs guys! would love to tap in to some of that knowledge and advice if available regarding making a call on these two sets..

thanks everyone!
post #7 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i would go for either the st30 or the gt30 i picked the st30 because at the time it was a lot cheaper but the pq was even betwenn this and the gt30
post #8 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM

thanks tazz3 for the quick response.. good to hear other's opinions.. so you think the pq of the lw5600 would be below not only the gt30 but even the st30 then?

has anyone seen the active glasses in action on these panny's? i really wonder at 60hz for shutter glasses.. would love to check it out in action.. going over to BB now to see if they can set something up..
post #9 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 PM

I love my D7000, but I can't recommend the 51in set. The smaller Samsung's under perform on black level for some reason.

Amazon also looks to be matching Panasonic's EPP prices today, so the sets are cheaper than usual. I'm actually looking at getting an ST30 (price sooooo good, bezel soooo ugly) or a GT30 myself. Though I'd most definitely rather get another 59D7000 if it wasn't such a large price bump.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 06:21 PM

yeah, i hear ya.. i can't do that st30 bezel... just horrible.. the gt30 is worth it just for that.

hmm, i'm seeing that price drop on the panny's too.. i wonder if i should pull the trigger tonight or if the pricing will last throughout the weekend to keep considering my options. i got lucky enough to check out the active 3d on the gt30.. not bad! i did catch a good bid of judder on the set though when displaying 3d material which i want to start looking in to some more.

the other issues i caught was a ton of grain/noise.. is this prevelant in the panny's because it was seen on two different gt30's in the store? the one in magnolia also had a *ton* of burn in from a taylor swift disc menu just sitting there on display for god knows how too long. i'm gonna start searching the official thread but man, that burn in was bad.. really hope it's not a common issue..

if the noise and burn in concerns aren't common, then i'm going with the gt30..
post #11 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecue View Post

yeah, i hear ya.. i can't do that st30 bezel... just horrible.. the gt30 is worth it just for that.

hmm, i'm seeing that price drop on the panny's too.. i wonder if i should pull the trigger tonight or if the pricing will last throughout the weekend to keep considering my options. i got lucky enough to check out the active 3d on the gt30.. not bad! i did catch a good bid of judder on the set though when displaying 3d material which i want to start looking in to some more.

the other issues i caught was a ton of grain/noise.. is this prevelant in the panny's because it was seen on two different gt30's in the store? the one in magnolia also had a *ton* of burn in from a taylor swift disc menu just sitting there on display for god knows how too long. i'm gonna start searching the official thread but man, that burn in was bad.. really hope it's not a common issue..

if the noise and burn in concerns aren't common, then i'm going with the gt30..

You would have to explain the grain/noise a bit better for me to be sure, but what you are describing sounds like standard plasma dithering. All plasmas do that, though you can't see it unless you are ridiculously close to the screen.

As for image retention, from what I have read, the 2011 Panasonics are more sensitive than the Samsungs or the older Panasonics. I believe it has something to do with the faster phosphors needed for 3d. But that just sounds like TV abuse to me lol. Any display can get IR/burnin if you leave the same thing on for too long, even CRT or LCD sets.

I think I'm gonna order one tonight, hopefully it wont ship for a few days in case I change my mind, though I suppose I could always refuse delivery, or just return it right away should anything happen since Amazon will just send people out to take the TV away.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 08:27 PM

thanks again for all the info.. just spent a good amount of time searching and searching the official thread.

it does indeed sound like standard plasma dithering that i was seeing.. i will be ~8-10ft away from the 55" unit so i'm really hoping it won't be noticeable from there.. granted, in store, you're typically a few feet away most of the time so i need to take that in to consideration but even the cg material (toy story 3 3d demo) was very grainy, almost like a weird texture going across smooth gradients (like gif images with a ton of dither back in the 90's). again, probably 4 feet away at most for that one.

also read up a good bit on the IR/burn in reduction and slideshow prep for 100hrs.. so will take much more time delving in to those details once it's ordered (i think i'm going to go ahead and go with it since it is a 30 day free return - i just hate that amazon charges tax for ny residents.. ughh..).

so one last question, i posted this on the official thread as well - does anyone know if you can turn off that dang red led power light on the bottom of the unit.. so distracting and would love to know myself but i can't find any information out there anywhere..

thanks!
post #13 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 08:55 PM

randy got back to me in the official thread.. thanks randy!

the red led can not be turned off..
post #14 of 19 Old 11-25-2011, 10:21 PM

So you are going with the GT30?

I decided to go with the 51D6500, only $985.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

I know it won't have as good a black levels as my 59D7000, but I just love my Sammy, plus they can share 3d glasses which is nice. The 6500 has the same panel as the 7000 and all the wonderful calibration options. Only difference is that it doesn't have the real black filter, but I can live without it or the blacks as it won't be my primary TV.

I also really like that it has wifi built in.

The deciding factor for me was finding out that only the VT30 has a good 96hz 24p mode. GT30 and ST30 only have a 48hz mode which is apparently plagued by a terribly flashing/strobing issue. I use Cinema Smooth Film Mode almost exclusively on my D7000, and I can't do without it. It's my absolute favorite feature of my set. I wouldn't have cared about the feature before, but my brain has gotten used to it. 3:2 pulldown is evil. All the TV and Movies I watch are 24p, so the only thing I do at 60hz is play games. That said, if you don't watch many movies, or if your cable box doesn't do 24p, you won't much care about 96hz mode.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-26-2011, 02:40 PM

yep, i went and grabbed the gt30.. still on sale too after all that rush last night..

the d7000/d6050 are gorgeous sets.. i just have some serious bad luck with samsung products for some reason - phones, tvs, you name it - all bad issues in and out of warranty.. i was just too nervous this time around especially with the past peeling issues and the brightness pops everyone is talking about.. but hey, sounds like your 59" is doing great - awesome!

it's interesting you mention the 3:2 pulldown.. i'll definitely keep an eye out for it but i know cnet rated it's conversion quite high.. maybe i'll do some more research and see if there's many complaints out there. the 5:5 was one of the things i liked about the lw5600.. and the vt30 is way out of my financial league..

although i'm extremely happy with my purchase (and price) my biggest concerns with the gt30 will be with IR and dithering.. i'm happy with everything else and really felt it fit in with everything i wanted (can the shutter glasses now just please drop in price already!). anyways, i'm going to keep a close eye on those two concerns during my 30 day break in period and see how it goes. the lg had me hooked on passive 3d and it also has a wireless hdmi kit on amazon for $77 which was tempting (no 3d support though).. the local dimming was quite nice, but in the end it just exhibited too much edge bleed/blooming for my tastes.. plus the styling wasn't as nice as the gt30 imho..
post #16 of 19 Old 11-27-2011, 01:46 AM

Definitely understand where you are coming from. If I wasn't already invested with my current sammy, I would likely go with a GT30 myself, but its so much easier to have 1 type of 3d glasses. As for the filter peeling, my D7000 fortunately has been clear of any peeling issues. And for the brightness pops, i've seen em from time to time, but fortunately, with Cinema Smooth turned on, they NEVER happen, and I use CS 90% of the time.

And like I said, I have no doubt that the Panasonics do a good job with the 3:2 pulldown, but 3:2 will never beat 4:4.

When it comes to your concerns, dithering is unavoidable with plasma, it's just how they work, but unless you are gonna be chillin 2 feet from your set, you will never see it. As for IR, the Panasonics are supposed to be worse than the Sammys this year, but when it comes down to it, unless you abuse your set, at you make it past the first 100-1000 hours, you should be fine.

Passive 3d is great, but ill take active 3d at full resolution over passive at half any day.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName7 View Post

Definitely understand where you are coming from. If I wasn't already invested with my current sammy, I would likely go with a GT30 myself, but its so much easier to have 1 type of 3d glasses. As for the filter peeling, my D7000 fortunately has been clear of any peeling issues. And for the brightness pops, i've seen em from time to time, but fortunately, with Cinema Smooth turned on, they NEVER happen, and I use CS 90% of the time.

And like I said, I have no doubt that the Panasonics do a good job with the 3:2 pulldown, but 3:2 will never beat 4:4.

When it comes to your concerns, dithering is unavoidable with plasma, it's just how they work, but unless you are gonna be chillin 2 feet from your set, you will never see it. As for IR, the Panasonics are supposed to be worse than the Sammys this year, but when it comes down to it, unless you abuse your set, at you make it past the first 100-1000 hours, you should be fine.

Passive 3d is great, but ill take active 3d at full resolution over passive at half any day.

But with Cinema Smooth on, don't you get horrible blacks (last I read, they had not fixed that bug)?
post #18 of 19 Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

My dad decided to go with the 55ST30. He ordered it last night and it should come in later this week. At the price of $1100 I don't think he could get a better set. Plus with the Best Buy credit he's only shelling out a few hundred.

I can let you guys know how it goes.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-27-2011, 04:30 PM

congrats to you and your dad dallow! thanks for letting us hijack your thread too!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page