Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-25-2011, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Awesome. Thank you for the link to this review, I've been wondering about this set. I recall being surprised there didn't appear to be any AVSr reviews/owners. Very interesting review, I wonder if we'll see an uptick in orders and feedback on the set now!

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 40 Old 11-25-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceRocket View Post

Awesome. Thank you for the link to this review, I've been wondering about this set. I recall being surprised there didn't appear to be any AVSr reviews/owners. Very interesting review, I wonder if we'll see an uptick in orders and feedback on the set now!

-JR

No worries.

Looks a pretty special set. apart from the price but i guess if you want quality its worth paying for.

Aaron
post #4 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 01:58 AM

Liked: 11
Plenty of feedback on this set at high def junkies dot com. Blacks on it are worse than the VT30. I do not think there are many American calibrators that will say this is their reference set, I think that title still belongs to the Kuro
post #5 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 218
AVS VX300 threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1347934

quote:''The pro panels are designed for post production/studios... Its a monitor in the true sense.''

The VX300 is not considered to be a reference display.
post #6 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Plenty of feedback on this set at high def junkies dot com. Blacks on it are worse than the VT30. I do not think there are many American calibrators that will say this is their reference set, I think that title still belongs to the Kuro

Am i missing something?

Quote:

Dynamic range is the best on the market
Black levels are the best we have seen to date
Very clean image with little PWM noise

Aaron
post #7 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I've never been to that forum, thanks for the direction. I just dug through the extensive VX300 thread there, wish I'd known about it earlier! Better late than never though, very informative thread.

-JR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

Am i missing something?

Aaron

The best, yet they don't bother to actually post what the MLL is or say what their test environment is. If their test is with the lights on, that conclusion is irrelevant. It's disappointed that they didn't list that, as for a reference set people will be comparing it to kuros and that number is quite important.
post #9 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover View Post

The best, yet they don't bother to actually post what the MLL is or say what their test environment is. If their test is with the lights on, that conclusion is irrelevant. It's disappointed that they didn't list that, as for a reference set people will be comparing it to kuros and that number is quite important.

Get what your saying but they have a proper test environment, they are proper calibrators etc. The fact they say it was equal if not better and the reference set they have for comparison in the room is the kuro.

Irrelevant to me as i don't have that sort of money, but i thought you guys may find it interesting.

Aaron
post #10 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 04:05 PM

Pioneer 101FD/500M black level = .0005

Panasonic TC-p65VT30 black level = .0034

Panasonic 65VX300 black level = .0052

Kevin Miller does state that its color is more accurate than the VT30 and it is easier to calibrate than the VT30 but thats about it. I havent heard of any pro calibrators in the US claiming its the next reference set.
post #11 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 PM

Liked: 12
Probably there is a big difference between European and American models...Such is the price!
post #12 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Get what your saying but they have a proper test environment, they are proper calibrators etc. The fact they say it was equal if not better and the reference set they have for comparison in the room is the kuro.

Irrelevant to me as i don't have that sort of money, but i thought you guys may find it interesting.

Aaron

Quote:

Pioneer 101FD/500M black level = .0005

Panasonic TC-p65VT30 black level = .0034

Panasonic 65VX300 black level = .0052

Kevin Miller does state that its color is more accurate than the VT30 and it is easier to calibrate than the VT30 but thats about it. I havent heard of any pro calibrators in the US claiming its the next reference set.

OP there is something majorly screwy going on here. The vx300 is not even at 8G kuro levels, let alone 9G or 9.5/10G. The review glosses over black levels and doesn't even state which kuro they tested against. It would seem like their conclusions are fair only if they were testing against an 8G kuro (which 9G and 9.5G's exceeded both on MLL and color accuracy). It seems odd to me that they kept referring to it as "kuro" rather than referring to the specific model number they were testing against at all even.

It sounds very fishy and like they have some kind of agenda. Like I said, it's believable that it would be able to match an 8G kuro as the VT30 is known to be roughly comparable to one. However, they come to the conclusion that the VX300 is a reference set/ as good as a kuro without ever actually posting their MLL measurements or specifying what kuro they're testing against. Overall, a reasonable review of the VX300 as a display itself as far as color accuracy and features go - but seems to gloss over where it still is lagging a bit with a seemingly doctored comparison to some unmentioned model kuro. Most people consider that if you're going to say something matches or exceeds a kuro, that you'd be comparing against either a 9G Elite or a 9.5/10G which were the last ones produced. Kind of like how you wouldn't compare a top of the line cpu of one brand with a mid-level cpu of another unless you clearly stated that in the review, specified model numbers, and mentioned that there were more powerful cpu's from the brand you were using a mid-level cpu to compare against.

Also note the line at the end where they ask people to buy a VX300 through one of their advertisers now that they've read the advertisement er... review. This is not to say the set is a bad one - if one has the money I'm sure it would be the best you can presently get. Just beware of review bias - esp. where the person or entity writing the review receives ad revenue should you choose to buy through a link at the end of said review.
post #13 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
T2k

Quote:

FFS, stop with the Kuro BS, once and forever. It's gone. Dead. And Kuros never been superior to anyone except their owners and review sites with ads.
No magic dust, no secret sauce, nothing was involved except giant losses on Pio's site due its very low-volume sales - overpriced set drove their entire division into the ground so they quit the business.

Sorry if it sounds aggressive but I really hate the BS that surronded the Kuro.
post #14 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 05:29 PM
T2k

Quote:

OP there is something majorly screwy going on here. The vx300 is not even at 8G kuro levels, let alone 9G or 9.5/10G. The review glosses over black levels and doesn't even state which kuro they tested against. It would seem like their conclusions are fair only if they were testing against an 8G kuro (which 9G and 9.5G's exceeded both on MLL and color accuracy). It seems odd to me that they kept referring to it as "kuro" rather than referring to the specific model number they were testing against at all even.

It sounds very fishy and like they have some kind of agenda. Like I said, it's believable that it would be able to match an 8G kuro as the VT30 is known to be roughly comparable to one. However, they come to the conclusion that the VX300 is a reference set/ as good as a kuro without ever actually posting their MLL measurements or specifying what kuro they're testing against. Overall, a reasonable review of the VX300 as a display itself as far as color accuracy and features go - but seems to gloss over where it still is lagging a bit with a seemingly doctored comparison to some unmentioned model kuro. Most people consider that if you're going to say something matches or exceeds a kuro, that you'd be comparing against either a 9G Elite or a 9.5/10G which were the last ones produced. Kind of like how you wouldn't compare a top of the line cpu of one brand with a mid-level cpu of another unless you clearly stated that in the review, specified model numbers, and mentioned that there were more powerful cpu's from the brand you were using a mid-level cpu to compare against.

Also note the line at the end where they ask people to buy a VX300 through one of their advertisers now that they've read the advertisement er... review. This is not to say the set is a bad one - if one has the money I'm sure it would be the best you can presently get. Just beware of review bias - esp. where the person or entity writing the review receives ad revenue should you choose to buy through a link at the end of said review.

Jesus, this Kuro BS is like cancer - impossible to cure, it seems.
post #15 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k View Post

FFS, stop with the Kuro BS, once and forever. It's gone. Dead. And Kuros never been superior to anyone except their owners and review sites with ads.
No magic dust, no secret sauce, nothing was involved except giant losses on Pio's site due its very low-volume sales - overpriced set drove their entire division into the ground so they quit the business.

Quote:

Jesus, this Kuro BS is like cancer - impossible to cure, it seems.

Translation: You never owned/saw/could afford one so you'd prefer to belittle them than hold manufacturers to a higher standard. It's not "BS", though if you've got legit qualms with them, then please post them so you can make yourself look silly. Saying they cost too much generally would be a nod in the direction of them being higher quality than a nod against it - especially when you haven't cited anything specific about them that could be considered negative and that current plasmas do better.
post #16 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

This Kuro as linked in the review.

http://www.avforums.com/review/Pione...0A-Review.html

Didn't mean to start a war guys.
Aaron
post #17 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

This Kuro as linked in the review.

http://www.avforums.com/review/Pione...0A-Review.html

Didn't mean to start a war guys.
Aaron

If there 5090 measures higher than 0.004fL, its a dud, plain and simple.

I personally was not impressed with the VX300 I calibrated. The VT30 is a better set... minus its color problems... for the consumer market.

I find it quite funny they said nothing about its lack of an AR coating.... which makes the VX300 look like a 2003 display with any light in the room.

post #18 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:

But it is still the King of the hill and what every pro uses as a reference set. There is currently no TV on the market that beats it!
post #19 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Well thats it im done reading about the VX300 lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #20 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10
Funny that no matter what there will still be people 10 years from now that will pull out the Kuro rabbit from the hat. FYI KURO engineers have moved along with the patents to Panasonic years ago, do you think they've been sitting idling in a backroom playing Mahjong?!

It's not even being a fanboy anymore it's being a KURO taliban!

Also one place I worked at [vfx] back in '09 had 2 new Kuro installed and the picture was nowhere near the holy grail you make/want/wish it to be!
post #21 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducato View Post

Funny that no matter what there will still be people 10 years from now that will pull out the Kuro rabbit from the hat. FYI KURO engineers have moved along with the patents to Panasonic years ago, do you think they've been sitting idling in a backroom playing Mahjong?!

Also one place I worked at [vfx] back in '09 had 2 new Kuro installed and the picture was nowhere near the holy grail you make/want/wish it to be!

Long ago, you would've been that guy that argued that the earth was flat.
post #22 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 11:42 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwasie View Post

Long ago, you would've been that guy that argued that the earth was flat.

Yeah, as long as you have this vocal but completely idiotic minority here, with their irrational and quite false Kuro BS we won't have anything like that...

PS: for the stupid type: yes, I did go out to see plenty of plasmas including Kuros before I settled on Pana (yes, I had the money to buy whatever I wanted.) I also work in a field (3D/post/anim) where we had the choice to buy any plasma and Kuro didn't even make it into the final round.

Stop with this ignorant Kuro BS, please. PLEASE.
post #23 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 11:44 PM
T2k

Quote:

But it is still the King of the hill and what every pro uses as a reference set. There is currently no TV on the market that beats it!

Every "every pro uses as a reference" - awesome... how old are you?
post #24 of 40 Old 11-26-2011, 11:46 PM
T2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

I personally was not impressed with the VX300 I calibrated. The VT30 is a better set... minus its color problems... for the consumer market.

I find it quite funny they said nothing about its lack of an AR coating.... which makes the VX300 look like a 2003 display with any light in the room.

Next year I will take a look at 65" ones, is there anything better than VX300 coming from Pana Pro line?
post #25 of 40 Old 11-27-2011, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, as long as you have this vocal but completely idiotic minority here, with their irrational and quite false Kuro BS we won't have anything like that...

PS: for the stupid type: yes, I did go out to see plenty of plasmas including Kuros before I settled on Pana (yes, I had the money to buy whatever I wanted.) I also work in a field (3D/post/anim) where we had the choice to buy any plasma and Kuro didn't even make it into the final round.

Stop with this ignorant Kuro BS, please. PLEASE.

That's not a surprise there really. No kuro has 3-D as it wasn't out yet (which most anims are released as these days it seems). Additionally cartoons/3-D often look better on super-saturated displays that have slightly stronger than spec colors even if they are less accurate. Further, just like the review you conveniently leave out which "kuros" you were actually testing the other displays against (yes, they mention a kuro at the start of the review via link but never actually go on to say it's the same one they're using in the review which seems the only plausible explanation if the 5090 they were using was not a dud).

Quote:

Every "every pro uses as a reference" - awesome... how old are you?

That comment is off-base. There are tons of different "pros" with a ton of different needs in a monitor.
post #26 of 40 Old 11-27-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

TBH i am way out of my depth here as plasma isn't my thing. But why if its worse than the VT30, has no AR coating, no tuners etc does it cost so much more than a VT30?

Please don't flame me, as i say plasma is not my thing.

Aaron
post #27 of 40 Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Hi D-Nice

What about the video processing of the VX300 ?
AV Review says it's excellent : no more banding, more graduations etc ...

Thanks
post #28 of 40 Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:

TBH i am way out of my depth here as plasma isn't my thing. But why if its worse than the VT30, has no AR coating, no tuners etc does it cost so much more than a VT30?

Please don't flame me, as i say plasma is not my thing.

Aaron

It's a professional display ... it serves different needs i suppose (more robust, has much more parameters for configuration, better video processing).
And I don't think you have to conclude it's worse than a VT30 ...
post #29 of 40 Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducato View Post

Panasonic didn't buy Kuro technologies ... they've bought patents about cell plasma and panel production (because it was decided they had to produce Kuro panels for Pioneer).
They didn't buy the drive tech for example (nor the video processing tech) which is probably as important as the panel ...
post #30 of 40 Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessard View Post

Panasonic didn't buy Kuro technologies ... they've bought patents about cell plasma and panel production (because it was decided they had to produce Kuro panels for Pioneer).
They didn't buy the drive tech for example (nor the video processing tech) which is probably as important as the panel ...

Man you're just too much! Not only do you quote me but you also can't even read! What is this here an effing asylum?!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th65vx300u 65 Inch 3d 1080p Premiere Display

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page